Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyalona View Post
    So you've never read fiction?
    Fiction can't help you develop as a human being? Shakespeare? Dickens? Melville? Tolstoy? Dostoyevsky?

What?

I probably play like 1-2 months a year. The rest of the time I don't play anything.

I'm active in the modding community though.

Like, my Steam shows that I have played HoI4 for 2000 hours or so. Maybe 1800 hours of that is when the game is open and I'm writing code for it... not playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    I prefer "enclosed creationist" but yeah, I'm a flat earther.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulosio View Post
    If you can't show the self discipline to moderate the time spent doing something I doubt you are going to be able to stop it all together UNLESS you replace it with something else...
    Let's be real. The vast majority here spend hours playing video games every day, and most likely spend some days playing video games all day. That's what it means to be passionate about something. If you weren't passionate about video games, you wouldn't be here. You wouldn't be posting on a forum dedicated to video games, and one specific video game, World of Warcraft, that is incredibly notorious for being very time-consuming. You all probably play way too much.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Fiction can't help you develop as a human being? Shakespeare? Dickens? Melville? Tolstoy? Dostoyevsky?

What?
    So which one of those have you read and in what specific way have these books improved your life?

I've just quit video games for good. It wasn't an easy decision, because I truly love them. But they've just taken up way too much time in my life, to the point where even when I spent an hour or two in the evening playing, I feel like I should be doing something better. And there's always the temptation to just stay home and spend a whole day playing my favourite game at the time, and I give in way too often.

Any other people who feel the same way?
    Now you've got more time to post on MMO-C! Good on you.

I've just quit video games for good. It wasn't an easy decision, because I truly love them. But they've just taken up way too much time in my life, to the point where even when I spent an hour or two in the evening playing, I feel like I should be doing something better. And there's always the temptation to just stay home and spend a whole day playing my favourite game at the time, and I give in way too often.

Any other people who feel the same way?
    When I was heavy drinking it was work then games, rinse repeat, but after a day of sobriety I found clarity so I quit drinking cold turkey and limited my playing. I play but not as much as I used to. I find time to go out and hang with homies, chill, go for a walk down town or something. So if quitting help improve your life by all means do it.

There is one game I would strongly recommend though.

It's called sarcasm.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm...

I play games.
    I work out.
    I like sex.
    I collect stamps.
    Sometimes I go into the park and try to hit tourists with a frisbee.

How much more variety could there be?
    You are trying way too hard. A good troll only has to post once. By continuing to post in your thread, you look desperate and needy. You should step back and just let the thread evolve organically. If it dies without your intervention, then it was unworthy to begin with.

If you want to get better at trolling, you need to understand that less is more.

So which one of those have you read and in what specific way have these books improved your life?
    Those are authors, not books. The modern world has been shaped by the writings of those men. You don't understand things like human nature, love, morality and government if you haven't read works like Hamlet, Moby Dick, War and Peace or Crime and Punishment to name a few of their writings.

Quote Originally Posted by joebob42 View Post
    You are trying way too hard. A good troll only has to post once. By continuing to post in your thread, you look desperate and needy. You should step back and just let the thread evolve organically. If it dies without your intervention, then it was unworthy to begin with.

If you want to get better at trolling, you need to understand that less is more.
    Well maybe it's because I'm not a troll. Shocking I know, but I'm actually here to discuss things.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Those are authors, not books.
    So which of those authors have you read? That was a poor attempt of ignoring the question.

I'm not talking about getting hospitalized. I'm talking about the price you pay every time you play video games. Every time you play a videogame you pay a price, which is all of the things you chose not to do instead. Your time on this planet is limited. Yes, video games are fun. So is lying in bed and reading comics. The real world happens elsewhere though. Do you want to spend a majority of your time playing video games, pretending you're a hero instead of being one in real life?
    Isn't that pretty subjective, or something forced upon us by society? What's a hero? What does he or she do? Are relationships with other humans the ultimate thing to strive for, or is that just another subjective thing to say?

I'm pretty sure that video games are just something that is seen as a "waste of time", or "something for kids" by society, which is why it's easy to feel bad for playing the whole day. And sadly, that takes a lot away from the effort we put into playing video games. I struggled a lot with that too, I always though "Man, if I would've invested all the time I played WoW into playing guitar, I'd be an amazing guitar player by now!". But that thought only stems from video games being not as widely accepted as guitar playing - which is a problem with society, not gamers. In reality, I should be able to be proud of the skills i've developed by carrying out my hobby, be it guitar playing or video games.

I'm sure that most raiding WoW players had to tell their friends at some point that they couldn't meet them today, or couldn't come to the spontaneous party, because their raid was on that evening. At least I had to do that often. It always felt awful, and the responses to "Sorry, I'm raiding tonight", depending on how videogame-affine the people were, were very mixed, like "Oh, so you're preferring strangers on the internet over me/us?". Now imagine I would've told them "Sorry guys, can't make the party tonigh, I'm locking myself in my room to play guitar the whole night, I've got this new wah-wah pedal, it's going to be amazing", i'm sure the responses would be more along the lines of "That sucks, but I admire your dedication".

I'm going to quote this reply from the first page, because it's true:

Quote Originally Posted by javierdsv View Post
    Do more of what you like. That's all life is about.
    If you're happy with what you're doing, continue. If you're constantly sitting in your room, feeling lonely and like your wasting your time, I guess you made a good choice. But don't proclaim that it's the right one for everyone.
    Last edited by reauxmont; 2018-06-14 at 04:21 PM.

I'm not talking about getting hospitalized. I'm talking about the price you pay every time you play video games. Every time you play a videogame you pay a price, which is all of the things you chose not to do instead. Your time on this planet is limited. Yes, video games are fun. So is lying in bed and reading comics. The real world happens elsewhere though. Do you want to spend a majority of your time playing video games, pretending you're a hero instead of being one in real life?
    Do you consider shitposting on these forums a better activity than playing video games? Is that being a hero in real life?
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

@Vyalona

You knew damn well saying "im going to quit video games for good, blah blah blah, im going to do something RL then everyone else" was going to rustle some jimmies and the fact you felt the need to say it to faceless internet people from all over the world is straight up begging for attention.

Do people think by making a declaration that they are leaving somehow cements they decision? Maybe it is a way to try and have other people convince them that what they are doing is okay. Either way it is nonsensical and odd bit of soapboxing as they make a very small decision.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Well maybe it's because I'm not a troll. Shocking I know, but I'm actually here to discuss things.

- - - Updated - - -

So which of those authors have you read? That was a poor attempt of ignoring the question.
    You aren't discussing anything. You're purely trolling. You're typing whatever response you can think of to anything anyone says to try and get a rise out of them. Your own posts in this thread do not agree with each other.

Your post history would suggest otherwise.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

If you're truly sincere in what you're saying, then stop posting here, and go do something useful with your day. I'll be waiting for you to come back and post to let us know you've become vegan.

Do what you want.

Sick as. just so long as you don't ignore the narrative possibilities of video games.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Do you consider shitposting on these forums a better activity than playing video games? Is that being a hero in real life?
    I'm here to save your lives.

I'm here to save your lives.
    Start from yours.