Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ...
4
12
13
14
15
16
... LastLast
  1. #261
    Quote Originally Posted by Majestic12 View Post
    The base game TemTem by itself is quite fine. The major issue TemTem has is a clear lack of content. WIP everywhere and endgame isn't that impressive.

    Playerbase feels pretty tiny at the moment unfortunately and there are very few MMO aspects about the game. Not even a chat. Other people's characters stand still on your screen or move randomly.
    The game is also incredibly grindy and not in a good way. The breeding mechanics just are not fun and significantly detract from this game being an evolution of the pokemon formula (Which it still largely is).

  2. #262
    Over 9000! Yunru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Continent of Orsterra
    Posts
    9,479
    Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    The game is also incredibly grindy and not in a good way. The breeding mechanics just are not fun and significantly detract from this game being an evolution of the pokemon formula (Which it still largely is).
    Breeding overall in this game is pointless if you are planing to do pvp. All you need is a right egg moves and then a trained temtem values.
    When you will enter ranked, all stats will be set to 50. (will be added in next patch)

    Also i think reason why they delayed chat is due to some goldsellers till they figure out a good report system.

  3. #263
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Breeding overall in this game is pointless if you are planing to do pvp. All you need is a right egg moves and then a trained temtem values.
    When you will enter ranked, all stats will be set to 50. (will be added in next patch)

    Also i think reason why they delayed chat is due to some goldsellers till they figure out a good report system.
    That is partially true. You need to train your own for tournaments and possibly other modes. Ranked is the only mode where stats will be normalized so far. It won't even be normalized for casual pvp.

  4. #264
    Have to agree the grind is not good so far. But that's mainly due to the limited areas where it's worth to do so, so you generally end up running in circles in a 10m² grass area endlessly farming the same Tems for Pansuns, Luma/50s or TVs.

    I've bred a few Tems and maxed their TVs, and that means grinding the exact same spot for some time (Magmis for Atk, Noxolotl for SpAtk, Saipats for HPs...). Hopefully the Proteins exist.

  5. #265
    Over 9000! Yunru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Continent of Orsterra
    Posts
    9,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Have to agree the grind is not good so far. But that's mainly due to the limited areas where it's worth to do so, so you generally end up running in circles in a 10m² grass area endlessly farming the same Tems for Pansuns, Luma/50s or TVs.

    I've bred a few Tems and maxed their TVs, and that means grinding the exact same spot for some time (Magmis for Atk, Noxolotl for SpAtk, Saipats for HPs...). Hopefully the Proteins exist.
    They do exist. But also expensive. You find them at fruit vendor on 2.nd island west part of city.

  6. #266
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    They do exist. But also expensive. You find them at fruit vendor on 2.nd island west part of city.
    Yeah I've seen that. Used a few of them to remove ~200TV from one stat on one tem, that's just... too expensive, I'd rather breed a new Tem if I built it incorrectly rather than using these. I'll probably use them if I need to restat a Luma, if I ever see one to begin with.

    I was talking about the Proteins you can equip a Tem with that doubles the TV gains, that halves the hassle of TV grinding so that's something.

  7. #267
    Over 9000! Yunru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Continent of Orsterra
    Posts
    9,479
    Heh....so true:


    Whole team of Ganki tho......

  8. #268
    How is Nintendo not shutting their asses down though - it’s infringement on so many levels.

  9. #269
    Bloodsail Admiral Krawu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    1,064
    Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    How is Nintendo not shutting their asses down though - it’s infringement on so many levels.

    They actually adressed this in the Kickstarter FAQ section:

    Isn’t Nintendo going to block this game?

    There is not a single indication that that’s going to happen. We’re already registered Nintendo developers, we have a game released on Switch (Immortal Redneck), and our relationship with them is good. We’re not using any patents or copyrights from any other company, everything in Temtem is made from scratch.

    Also, there are a lot of games heavily inspired by Nintendo titles on Switch and DS -- Brawlout (Super Smash Bros), Jump Ultimate Stars (Super Smash Bros), Wargroove (Advance Wars), Oceanhorn (Zelda), Blossom Tales (Zelda), Crystal Monsters (Pokémon)...

    TPCI is known for their takedowns but they’ve only taken down games using their IP and designs and, like we said, we’re not using any of those. There are many creature-collection games (both fanmade and commercial) out there.

    Crema has consulted their lawyers and they aren't violating any copyright as long as they don't use names, game assets or obvious likenesses of Pokemon in their game, which they aren't.
    Even if they had copied the combat system exactly, unless Nintendo can prove they literally ripped the code from some Pokemon game there's nothing they can do. And Temtem works quite differently from Pokemon in that regard. That'd be like saying Pokemon infringes on Final Fantasy copyright. Also, Temtem is hardly the only monster collecting RPG since Pokemon.

    There's:

    Dragon Quest Monsters
    Monster Hunter Stories
    Digimon
    Monster Rancher
    Monster Sanctuary
    The Pet Battle part in WoW

    and probably a bunch more I can't remember off the top of my head.

  10. #270
    Quote Originally Posted by Krawu View Post
    They actually adressed this in the Kickstarter FAQ section:




    Crema has consulted their lawyers and they aren't violating any copyright as long as they don't use names, game assets or obvious likenesses of Pokemon in their game, which they aren't.
    Even if they had copied the combat system exactly, unless Nintendo can prove they literally ripped the code from some Pokemon game there's nothing they can do. And Temtem works quite differently from Pokemon in that regard. That'd be like saying Pokemon infringes on Final Fantasy copyright. Also, Temtem is hardly the only monster collecting RPG since Pokemon.

    There's:

    Dragon Quest Monsters
    Monster Hunter Stories
    Digimon
    Monster Rancher
    Monster Sanctuary
    The Pet Battle part in WoW

    and probably a bunch more I can't remember off the top of my head.
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Because it doesn't. Nintendo can't own a video game genre. You have multiple Pokemon styled games out there, as long as they don't use actual copyrighted material they will be fine. The damn game is even getting released on Switch, a Nintendo owned platform...
    Not so much the genre, but the art style and mechanics are obviously a clear copy of Pokemon (I guess the intention). I’m just surprised a Nintendo aren’t doing much about it seeing as it really is a clear copy and paste of Pokemon.

  11. #271
    It actually looks really good but why does it have to be an MMO? Does the developer think it's going to be that successful that they'll be able to rely on subscriptions or microtransactions to keep the game alive? I don't know why everything these days needs to be an MMO. Make this into a solid single player experience with online capabilities and it will be better off. At least then if it's not as successful as they wanted it to be it won't disappear into game oblivion.

    I just don't understand. As a small developer why you would not want to see your game live on forever? At least with single player games you can release it and whether it is hated or loved it's always out there available to anyone who wants to play it and you can at least take pride in the fact that you made that. You actually developed and released your own video game. As an MMO, if it doesn't do well, the servers are taken down and the game is gone forever. It doesn't exist anymore and is not playable to anyone. Even if it does do well there will always be that fact that someday you won't be able to play this anymore and all your time and effort into the game will be gone forever.

    I don't know, to me MMOs don't feel like complete games but rather a game that is like 60% done and will be pieced together as time goes on. In a way, I consider it to be lazy game design because MMOs don't require a whole lot of creative effort. When you look at all MMO style games they are all pretty much the same, they just copy off of each other. Same kind of quests, same style of gameplay, currency and material grinding, time gates, and dailies. Then there's also the little microtransactions you can buy into to speed up your leveling, buy a lot of the game's currency so you don't have to grind for it or make yourself look cooler with a bunch of skins and what not. And don't forget the RNG mechanics. To me MMOs are made for the sole purpose of making lots of money not because they're actually passionate about what they created. It's more of a business than a game. It's one of the biggest problems in the gaming industry today.
    Last edited by Grubenwolf; 2020-03-07 at 04:38 PM.
    I'd buy that for a dollar.

  12. #272
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubenwolf View Post
    It actually looks really good but why does it have to be an MMO? Does the developer think it's going to be that successful that they'll be able to rely on subscriptions or microtransactions to keep the game alive? I don't know why everything these days needs to be an MMO. Make this into a solid single player experience with online capabilities and it will be better off. At least then if it's not as successful as they wanted it to be it won't disappear into game oblivion.

    I just don't understand. As a small developer why you would not want to see your game live on forever? At least with single player games you can release it and whether it is hated or loved it's always out there available to anyone who wants to play it and you can at least take pride in the fact that you made that. You actually developed and released your own video game. As an MMO, if it doesn't do well, the servers are taken down and the game is gone forever. It doesn't exist anymore and is not playable to anyone. Even if it does do well there will always be that fact that someday you won't be able to play this anymore and all your time and effort into the game will be gone forever.

    I don't know, to me MMOs don't feel like complete games but rather a game that is like 60% done and will be pieced together as time goes on. In a way, I consider it to be lazy game design because MMOs don't require a whole lot of creative effort. When you look at all MMO style games they are all pretty much the same, they just copy off of each other. Same kind of quests, same style of gameplay, currency and material grinding, time gates, and dailies. Then there's also the little microtransactions you can buy into to speed up your leveling, buy a lot of the game's currency so you don't have to grind for it or make yourself look cooler with a bunch of skins and what not. And don't forget the RNG mechanics. To me MMOs are made for the sole purpose of making lots of money not because they're actually passionate about what they created. It's more of a business than a game. It's one of the biggest problems in the gaming industry today.
    yes better to play the 45th singleplayer pokemon game that is totally not a copy of the other 44

  13. #273
    Quote Originally Posted by apelsinjuice View Post
    yes better to play the 45th singleplayer pokemon game that is totally not a copy of the other 44
    Well how does making it an MMO make it any better? It's still a Pokemon rip off except you see other players running around.
    I'd buy that for a dollar.

  14. #274
    Bloodsail Admiral Krawu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    1,064
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubenwolf View Post

    SNIP

    It's not really that much more of an MMO than Pokemon is with online features enabled.
    Yeah you can see other players running around in the world but you don't share any progress or battles unless you invite them. You have a random selection of players that you can interact with from a list and you can add people to your friend list.

    Mechanically it's a single player game unless you elect to team up with someone else but that is purely optional and doesn't really confer any benefits.

    One valid point of criticism is the Early Access status of the game. Only half the world and maybe a third of all Temtem are available currently and it's missing lots of features that will be in the final game. If that's bothering you just wait for the full release. But it really does evoke that same feeling like when I played Pokemon for the first time. It's just a more difficult, more complex version of Pokemon but with less polish.

  15. #275
    Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    How is Nintendo not shutting their asses down though - it’s infringement on so many levels.
    No it isn't. Call of Duty isn't infringement on DOOM because it uses a first person perspective and the entire gameplay is shoot bad guys. Nintendo owns Pikachu and Squirtle, they don't own the idea of catching creatures and using them to fight each other in a JRPG-style turn-based battle system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada

  16. #276
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubenwolf View Post
    Well how does making it an MMO make it any better? It's still a Pokemon rip off except you see other players running around.
    They can keep adding new islands and temtem with a MMO without you needing to buy an expansion or new game(if it's successful enough and if they are interested in doing so). You can also then literally "catch them all" and not have them remove a bunch of temtem from the previous series so they can add them to the expansion to pad the number of "new" temtem.

  17. #277
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubenwolf View Post
    Well how does making it an MMO make it any better? It's still a Pokemon rip off except you see other players running around.
    Pokemon MMO is the dream.

    Is this company able to make it "the" dream? Humm...very hard and highly doubt it....BUT the game is really good so far (as a tamer offline game at first)
    I wish the tem tem team the best of luck and i chose to support them.

  18. #278
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubenwolf View Post
    It actually looks really good but why does it have to be an MMO? Does the developer think it's going to be that successful that they'll be able to rely on subscriptions or microtransactions to keep the game alive? I don't know why everything these days needs to be an MMO. Make this into a solid single player experience with online capabilities and it will be better off. At least then if it's not as successful as they wanted it to be it won't disappear into game oblivion.

    I just don't understand. As a small developer why you would not want to see your game live on forever? At least with single player games you can release it and whether it is hated or loved it's always out there available to anyone who wants to play it and you can at least take pride in the fact that you made that. You actually developed and released your own video game. As an MMO, if it doesn't do well, the servers are taken down and the game is gone forever. It doesn't exist anymore and is not playable to anyone. Even if it does do well there will always be that fact that someday you won't be able to play this anymore and all your time and effort into the game will be gone forever.

    I don't know, to me MMOs don't feel like complete games but rather a game that is like 60% done and will be pieced together as time goes on. In a way, I consider it to be lazy game design because MMOs don't require a whole lot of creative effort. When you look at all MMO style games they are all pretty much the same, they just copy off of each other. Same kind of quests, same style of gameplay, currency and material grinding, time gates, and dailies. Then there's also the little microtransactions you can buy into to speed up your leveling, buy a lot of the game's currency so you don't have to grind for it or make yourself look cooler with a bunch of skins and what not. And don't forget the RNG mechanics. To me MMOs are made for the sole purpose of making lots of money not because they're actually passionate about what they created. It's more of a business than a game. It's one of the biggest problems in the gaming industry today.
    They relied on the marketing and Word of Mouth hype of "omfg pokemon mmo" to get their kickstarter funding.


    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    They can keep adding new islands and temtem with a MMO without you needing to buy an expansion or new game(if it's successful enough and if they are interested in doing so). You can also then literally "catch them all" and not have them remove a bunch of temtem from the previous series so they can add them to the expansion to pad the number of "new" temtem.
    Literally none of this requires it being an MMO though, there's a ton of examples of offline, single player games releasing free updates with a ton of extra content.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    i find it hard to believe some random raid from BFA would draw in more players than the battleground patch in classic
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    FruitySalad boy, this is a fantastic thread and is really going places. I just want to make sure I'm on page one of what is bound to be a long lasting and productive thread. It's amazing there are no other threads discussing the squish, as I'm confident you would have just posted in them if they did exist.

  19. #279
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickiler View Post
    They relied on the marketing and Word of Mouth hype of "omfg pokemon mmo" to get their kickstarter funding.



    Literally none of this requires it being an MMO though, there's a ton of examples of offline, single player games releasing free updates with a ton of extra content.
    You got examples of any that did? I mean unless they do a re-release and add more content most companies move on to the next game if its single player or they dont have paid extra content.

  20. #280
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    You got examples of any that did? I mean unless they do a re-release and add more content most companies move on to the next game if its single player or they dont have paid extra content.
    Dead cells, Rimworld, Stardew Valley(Including adding co-op, a significant undertaking), Faster than Light, Terraria, Mount and Blade, Factorio, Slay the Spire, Spelunky.

    Some of these do have extra paid content, but the majority don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    i find it hard to believe some random raid from BFA would draw in more players than the battleground patch in classic
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    FruitySalad boy, this is a fantastic thread and is really going places. I just want to make sure I'm on page one of what is bound to be a long lasting and productive thread. It's amazing there are no other threads discussing the squish, as I'm confident you would have just posted in them if they did exist.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •