Thread: New PC for BFA

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

New PC for BFA

Hey guys,

I've been out of the loop for more or less two years and have little knowledge on what's normally used for gaming these days, so apologies for the lack of parts below. Been using a laptop till now and mostly stuck to consoles for gmes, but would like to get a gaming rig again.

• Budget - would prefer to stay under £1000 but could go a bit higher if there is a good reason to
    • Resolution - 1080p
    • Games/Settings Desired - WoW in ultra and 60fps, but would like to be able to run Anthem once it's out
    • Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc) - no, strickly a gaming PC
    • Country - UK
    • Parts that can be reused - none
    • Do you need an OS? - yes
    • Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? - I've got a monitor

For now I treat this as an entry back to PC gaming, and can possible upgrde whatever is needed in the next 1-2 years.

This should be a decent system capable of running most games at 60 fps and still have the option to upgrade parts down the line.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor (£185.99 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty X470 Gaming K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard (£156.46 @ More Computers)
    Memory: Patriot - Viper 4 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£169.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£102.00 @ Aria PC)
    Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB G1 Gaming Video Card (£284.99 @ Aria PC)
    Case: Phanteks - Eclipse P300 Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower Case (£47.94 @ Aria PC)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£84.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £1032.35
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-18 01:33 BST+0100

I would prefer to have a monitor and keyboard included if there not to expensive to my budget. I will only be playing wow, hearthstone and just the normal browsing youtube etc thats pretty much all i will be doing on it Tutuapp 9apps Aptoide

Do you really need 16gb ram for wow ?! seems like 8 is enough
    R.I.P Cityfella 2004-2016 <Warrior for life>

good post mate

- - - Updated - - -

Nice article helped me alot

16 GB is pretty much the standard now so you don't bottleneck. Used to be 8 a few years ago. I have bumped close to 7 in other programs a few times and 16GB gives me a buffer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cityfella View Post
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You son of a bitch you copied my avatar?
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

Well then, why not go full out? If money I'd no issue, then I don't see why I should make the most expensive PC possible.

It is basically a fact that price/performance falls the higher you get, but if I have unlimited money, I don't care. So let's go!

Expensive server motherboard. Multiple sockets, lots of pcie and high capacity for RAM.

Xeon processors. Some with high individual clocks, some with lots of cores and lower clocks.

4 GTX Titans. Whichever model is the most powerful at that moment.

A few terabytes of m.2 SSD's backed up by 4x that in hard drives in raid.

Max board capacity in RAM. I expect insane amounts and will probably run a RAM drive.

4x24″ 1080p monitors. I don't care much for 4k, but 4 monitors will be fine. I'll be using only 1 when I game anyway.

Kali Linux and Windows installed to dual boot.

Some device that will allow me to shut down parts of the machine that I'm not currently using (even if it requires that I restart the machine) to maximize efficiency.

This computer will give me enough flexibility to do whatever I want. Game, check. Efficiently do cpu-light tasks, check. Crunch numbers, check.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsteven View Post
    Well then, why not go full out? If money I'd no issue, then I don't see why I should make the most expensive PC possible.

It is basically a fact that price/performance falls the higher you get, but if I have unlimited money, I don't care. So let's go!

Expensive server motherboard. Multiple sockets, lots of pcie and high capacity for RAM.

Xeon processors. Some with high individual clocks, some with lots of cores and lower clocks.

4 GTX Titans. Whichever model is the most powerful at that moment.

A few terabytes of m.2 SSD's backed up by 4x that in hard drives in raid.

Max board capacity in RAM. I expect insane amounts and will probably run a RAM drive.

4x24″ 1080p monitors. I don't care much for 4k, but 4 monitors will be fine. I'll be using only 1 when I game anyway.

Kali Linux and Windows installed to dual boot.

Some device that will allow me to shut down parts of the machine that I'm not currently using (even if it requires that I restart the machine) to maximize efficiency.

This computer will give me enough flexibility to do whatever I want. Game, check. Efficiently do cpu-light tasks, check. Crunch numbers, check.
    He said he had a budget though, of 1000 pounds

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor (£303.99 @ Amazon UK)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.26 @ Ebuyer)
    Motherboard: MSI - Z370-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£89.99 @ CCL Computers)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£115.45 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£88.97 @ Laptops Direct)
    Video Card: PNY - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB XLR8 Gaming OC Video Card (£230.90 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Corsair - 270R ATX Mid Tower Case (£57.20 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£85.47 @ Amazon UK)
    Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit (£82.97 @ Laptops Direct)
    Total: £1080.20
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-21 17:32 BST+0100

I wouldn't get an AMD chip for gaming as they are consistently outperformed by Intel chips and especially in WoW. My wifes 1700X + 1070 machine performs about the same in WoW as my i5 8400 + RX 580 machine and it shouldn't. I know this exceeds your budget, but it would be worth it.
    Last edited by sil3ntearth; 2018-09-21 at 05:42 PM.
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte Aorus X570S Elite AX | Teamgroup DDR4 4000mhz 32GB RAM | Zotac RTX 4070 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB + SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB | Windows 11 Pro

“When you've burned the bridges behind you, don't go starting a fire on the one in front of you.” ― Steven Erikson, The Bonehunters

PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/NYnMyX
    Price breakdown by merchant: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/NYnMyX/by_merchant/

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler (£56.65 @ CCL Computers)
    Motherboard: MSI - Z370 GAMING PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£99.96 @ Ebuyer)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£119.30 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Crucial - BX500 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£64.19 @ Aria PC)
    Video Card: PNY - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB XLR8 Gaming OC Video Card (£240.02 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Phanteks - Eclipse P300 Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£47.96 @ Ebuyer)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£75.46 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £1007.53
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-21 19:40 BST+0100
    Whats different from above:
    Much better CPU cooler. The EVO will not cut it for a 5ghz OC on the 8700K
    No pointless overspend on a Samsung EVO SSD.
    Faster RAM for largely the same price (about 3.50£ more).

Honestly, id drop the 8700K in favor of an 8600K since the extra threads from hyperthreading are largely useless in gaming (and almost no games make serious use of more than 2-4 cores anyway). Thatd save you a decent amount of coin.

Notice i didnt include Windows - because there are totally legal ways (especially in the EU) to get it FAR cheaper... or simply not buy it at the time you build (you can install it legally and not activate it for as long as you like, it just locks out some features - like bieng able to shut off the telemetry tracking, change the desktop, etc) and pay for it later.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Whats different from above:
    Much better CPU cooler. The EVO will not cut it for a 5ghz OC on the 8700K
    No pointless overspend on a Samsung EVO SSD.
    Faster RAM for largely the same price (about 3.50£ more).

Honestly, id drop the 8700K in favor of an 8600K since the extra threads from hyperthreading are largely useless in gaming (and almost no games make serious use of more than 2-4 cores anyway). Thatd save you a decent amount of coin.

Notice i didnt include Windows - because there are totally legal ways (especially in the EU) to get it FAR cheaper... or simply not buy it at the time you build (you can install it legally and not activate it for as long as you like, it just locks out some features - like bieng able to shut off the telemetry tracking, change the desktop, etc) and pay for it later.
    1.) The OP said nothing about wanting to overclock which I why I kept it at the EVO, a solid option for light overclocking or stock usage. Also, it's a great bang-for-the-buck pick.
    2.) I don't have an issue with other SSDs in terms of performance, but I in the extensive experience I have in building and repairing computers, I rarely ever saw a Samsung SSD fail. I did, however, see it from plenty of other brands including crucial.
    3.) I included the cost of the OS because he said he needed one. That price is obviously worst case scenario.
    4.) The 8600k wold be fine, but he also mentioned playing Anthem and possibly other games. Going 8600k w/ a GTX 1070 instead of the 1060 6GB would probably be smarter.

Below is my revised build since seeing the price of the 1070 ti.

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core OEM/Tray Processor (£278.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.26 @ Ebuyer)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£119.30 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£88.97 @ Laptops Direct)
    Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB DUKE Video Card (£344.24 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£85.47 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £1099.39
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-21 21:34 BST+0100
    Last edited by sil3ntearth; 2018-09-21 at 08:35 PM.
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte Aorus X570S Elite AX | Teamgroup DDR4 4000mhz 32GB RAM | Zotac RTX 4070 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB + SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB | Windows 11 Pro

“When you've burned the bridges behind you, don't go starting a fire on the one in front of you.” ― Steven Erikson, The Bonehunters

Quote Originally Posted by sil3ntearth View Post

Motherboard: MSI - Z370-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£89.99 @ CCL Computers)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£115.45 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: PNY - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB XLR8 Gaming OC Video Card (£230.90 @ Amazon UK)
    Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit (£82.97 @ Laptops Direct)
    Total: £1080.20
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-21 17:32 BST+0100

I wouldn't get an AMD chip for gaming as they are consistently outperformed by Intel chips and especially in WoW. My wifes 1700X + 1070 machine performs about the same in WoW as my i5 8400 + RX 580 machine and it shouldn't. I know this exceeds your budget, but it would be worth it.
    AMD Ryzen 2 is on par with intel because of it's multitasking. If he wants to stream and play wow he will get much better performance out of a Ryzen chip. If he only cares about gaming then yes...go intel. You're also using a Ryzen 1 as your benchmark with your wifes PC. Ryzen 2 is much better than Ryzen 1.

Quote Originally Posted by RuneDK View Post
    AMD Ryzen 2 is on par with intel because of it's multitasking. If he wants to stream and play wow he will get much better performance out of a Ryzen chip. If he only cares about gaming then yes...go intel. You're also using a Ryzen 1 as your benchmark with your wifes PC. Ryzen 2 is much better than Ryzen 1.
    2nd gen. Ryzen MAY have a slight edge if he does decide to stream. Because WoW is so heavily dependent on per-core performance if he does not decide to stream he would be sacrificing quite a few FPS. Check out: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...78700k_in_wow/. Keep in mine that test is done with a Titan Xp and at 4k. The difference would be even more pronounced at 1080p as it's more CPU bound.

I respect the 2nd gen. Ryzen product. I don't, however, think it's his best choice here.

nah per core performance > more cores in really most games.. tho some are starting to use more cores properly

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RuneDK View Post
    He did state he is a strictly gaming pc ie no streaming or anything of the sort.

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor (£225.18 @ PC World Business)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler (£54.97 @ CCL Computers)
    Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£157.60 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£73.19 @ Aria PC)
    Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£34.74 @ Aria PC)
    Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card (£354.51 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox Lite 5 ATX Mid Tower Case (£39.98 @ Novatech)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£79.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £1120.12
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-21 22:55 BST+0100

Above budget. Get a none activated os from Microsoft homepage. No need to pay for win 10 unless you really want to.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

1.) The OP said nothing about wanting to overclock which I why I kept it at the EVO, a solid option for light overclocking or stock usage. Also, it's a great bang-for-the-buck pick.
    If hes not OCing... why are you suggesting a K part? Thats like lighting money on fire and throwing it away. Might as well just get the i5-8400.

2.) I don't have an issue with other SSDs in terms of performance, but I in the extensive experience I have in building and repairing computers, I rarely ever saw a Samsung SSD fail. I did, however, see it from plenty of other brands including crucial.
    Other than actual physical failure of the 3DNAND, the only thing on an SSD that can fail is the controller. Since pretty much every brand now uses the same controllers, this is moot. the 3D NAND all comes from Samsung or Micron anyway.

EVOs are a great way to get less space for more money and no real-world performance difference.

3.) I included the cost of the OS because he said he needed one. That price is obviously worst case scenario.
    4.) The 8600k wold be fine, but he also mentioned playing Anthem and possibly other games. Going 8600k w/ a GTX 1070 instead of the 1060 6GB would probably be smarter.
    In no world is 6 real cores going to be "not enough" to get great framerates for the expected life of the machine. We're still at dual core + HT being about 50% of the market. There's only a single commercially available game engine that even makes good use of 4 cores, much less 6 (and that's the most up to date version of EA's Frostbite, which, ironically, Anthem isn't using)... and in all of those cases, its what i'd easily call "useless performance" - a dual-core+HT in those games can still deliver 100fps... six core chips produce 200+... which is pointless.

2nd gen. Ryzen MAY have a slight edge if he does decide to stream. Because WoW is so heavily dependent on per-core performance if he does not decide to stream he would be sacrificing quite a few FPS. Check out: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...78700k_in_wow/. Keep in mine that test is done with a Titan Xp and at 4k. The difference would be even more pronounced at 1080p as it's more CPU bound.

I respect the 2nd gen. Ryzen product. I don't, however, think it's his best choice here.
    That's why I said if it's purely for gaming then yea go intel. I only think it's his best choice if he's planning on streaming or multitasking...if its web browsing and gaming then he should go intel for sure.

Unless he plans on Only playing WoW he should get 16gb