Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why are VA panels "bad"?

All I hear when people are talking about VA panels is how "bad" they are, but nobody seems able to elaborate on anything other than just saying "it's got ghosting!". From what I understand ghosting is generally a signal problem or caused by poor monitor settings. I know VA screens generally have lower response times than TN & IPS but it's not that low.

Can someone explain what the actual issue is?

10+ Year Old Account
    Here is the test https://www.testufo.com/ghosting

Here is the article about what ghosting is https://www.blurbusters.com/faq/lcd-...ive-artifacts/

Basically, something that moves around your monitor at good speed will appear smeared. VA panels are fine, but this is their weakness - they employ various tricks to minimize this, but you will notice if you pay attention, that said it's not like it is OMG I can't see shit, basically it's only apparent in fast FPS/racing games and such and effect is small, but it's there.

Also it's not a signal issue, it's latency issue, inherent problem with VA just like IPS backlight glow is for IPS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Usually people that consider VA panels also want some other things that VA doesn't offer.

From what I understand VA is better for black levels compared to TN, that's about it.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    Usually people that consider VA panels also want some other things that VA doesn't offer.

From what I understand VA is better for black levels compared to TN, that's about it.
    VA is some sort of trade-off between TN and IPS. It is cheaper than IPS and has better color accuracy and viewing angles than TN, but it is the slowest panel out there and that's why ghosting is a thing, which is usually fixed by overdrive, which in turn has its own issues.

VA panel based monitors will often claim speedy ms GTG for the competitive product listings, but reality is that is pretty much an illusion created by various techniques which are less than ideal.

10+ Year Old Account
    The whole ghosting thing is fairly subjective as well. I mean, obviously it can be measured but if you actually notice it while gaming is a whole different matter. One of my monitors is a VA panel and I've never noticed any ghosting, but maybe someone with better eyes might.

So it's pretty much a non-issue then? I don't play much in the way of 'fast' games.

If you're interested, this is the monitor I'm looking to buy: https://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Pro...82E16824011187

10+ Year Old Account
    Vertical Alignment panels aren't bad. They're not perfect, sure, but not bad. In terms of LCD, they have better contrast ratio bar Panasonic's new HDR reference IPS panels. Typical static is 3000:1 or 5000:1 though the latter are more rare. VA's main weakness is slow pixel translation. TN typical average is about 3-4ms, IPS around 8ms and TNs around 10ms, with the assumption that overdrive isn't turned up into a artifact mess.

In terms of glow that some LCD panels have, VAs are middle of the pack compared to TNs and IPSs where as IPS has the worst and TNs the best. This is bar any panel that uses an A-TW Polarizer however.

More details I can note if you really want.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Vertical Alignment panels aren't bad. They're not perfect, sure, but not bad. In terms of LCD, they have better contrast ratio bar Panasonic's new HDR reference IPS panels. Typical static is 3000:1 or 5000:1 though the latter are more rare. VA's main weakness is slow pixel translation. TN typical average is about 3-4ms, IPS around 8ms and TNs around 10ms, with the assumption that overdrive isn't turned up into a artifact mess.

In terms of glow that some LCD panels have, VAs are middle of the pack compared to TNs and IPSs where as IPS has the worst and TNs the best. This is bar any panel that uses an A-TW Polarizer however.

More details I can note if you really want.
    You said TN twice

OP, VA is basically a trade off between "I want better colors and viewing angles but i also want a "gaming" monitor that doesnt cost 750-1000$ for what i want it".

Its usually preferred for the exact type of screen you posted ;p

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    So it's pretty much a non-issue then? I don't play much in the way of 'fast' games.

If you're interested, this is the monitor I'm looking to buy: https://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Pro...82E16824011187
    This is what i've been using for 2+ years and can't recommend it highly enough - as long as you get a good one - acer QC is/was a little dodgy.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

sorry for the massive link - its Currys btw and £499

I bought the Z321QU. £630 is kinda steep but I went for it anyway.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Howdy, I got the Samsung S34E790C 3440x1440 VA 34" curved monitor back in early-mid 2015 and I must say, if you aren't doing any fast-paced gameplay, you'll very likely love this display type.

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/samsung-s34e790c/

Based on how you've replied, it sounds like you will mostly be indeed, playing slower games. For games like WoW, this monitor is a dream. I had an AHIPS monitor before this which I do not miss one bit, this monitor's contrast alone makes it more appealing. Not only do I game on it, but I also edit photography on it and it has been wonderful to work with.

I genuinely suggest you go VA and see for yourself.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    VAs are not bad, all LCD panel types have strong and weak points. There's a reason ultra competitive gaming LCD monitors tend to be TN, and there's a reason ultra expensive content consumption LCD TVs tend to be VA.

They're good in different things.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2018-06-24 at 08:50 PM.

From what I understand VA is better for black levels compared to TN

just dont buy the tn stuff and take what your wallet can offer
    if its VA - fine , if ips - also fine :d

Deleted

mate. you want a high-end TN panel for gaming and thats it. ppl say the color accuracy isnt good enough but unless youre some picture/movie editor you wont know it and TN is the only panel where you can actually get rid of ghosting so it is ALWAYS the way to go for optimal gaming experience. but dont settle. spend the money that it costs for a highend one like a strix or predator class. its gonna set u back $500+ easily but its worth it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefbarrier View Post
    mate. you want a high-end TN panel for gaming and thats it. ppl say the color accuracy isnt good enough but unless youre some picture/movie editor you wont know it and TN is the only panel where you can actually get rid of ghosting so it is ALWAYS the way to go for optimal gaming experience. but dont settle. spend the money that it costs for a highend one like a strix or predator class. its gonna set u back $500+ easily but its worth it
    Technically people should go for a CRT if they really are that concerned about optimal gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Technically people should go for a CRT if they really are that concerned about optimal gaming.
    +1

So much this.

I miss having basically zero input lag with high refresh rates and deep blacks. It makes me regret tossing my old NEC MultiSync FE2111SB-BK nearly a decade ago. The thing was a tank at around 70lbs though lol

It's crazy to see some of these selling for upwards of $2000 on ebay (even today). There's really no comparison if one has the desk space. TN panels are pure garbage.
    Last edited by Infershadow; 2018-06-26 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefbarrier View Post
    TN panels as I understand are good for exactly ONE thing - response times for "competitive" FPS games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well they are also cheap. It's good enough if you just want to shove some pixels into your eyeballs and don't care much about how good it looks.

TN panels as I understand are good for exactly ONE thing - response times for "competitive" FPS games.
    AFAIK TN panels are better than IPS for everything except colour vibrance and viewing angle, so you probably have your perception reversed. IPS are good at that ONE thing(viewing angle really doesn't matter because it is never so bad on a computer to be an issue).

Cheaper, better contrast ratio, better response time.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.