Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    There is no choice in d3. You are basically forced into the cookie cutter spec or fail. It gets boring after a while. I do not understand why blizz designed it that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    There's a lot of choice in D3, the only difference is that Greater Rifts exist so people feel compelled to play the absolute most min/maxed build to push those.
    I don't know if you guys are regurgitating what other people have told you but unless you're trying to push leaderboards (which are pointless anyways) pretty much every build is within 5-10 GR levels of eachother. Even then DH has 4 different builds in the top 5 leaderboards spots right now. Barb has IK HotA and Raekors HotA plus 2 different support builds that can push top tier. Necro has like 5 different builds that are all top tier. I don't play much wiz but there are like 4-5 builds that are all top/high tier and wiz is the fastest T13 in the game on top of that. Monk is the most wanted support in the game plus has a few high tier pushing builds. WD is probably the only class hurting but that's only if you compare yourself to other classes. WD is the strongest its ever been with the most options.

Then every class has numerous speed builds, all of which are pretty damn fast.

But no one is forcing you to play any build. There are new builds being discovered pretty often. The fastest and most powerful necro speed is pretty damn new.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Agree with everything but the last sentence. D3 didn't got it right at all - honestly they got everything wrong, excluding the possibility of respeccing on the fly.....
    I mean all of that is like... your opinion man...

I like D3 for what it is. A very smooth hack and slash that I can pick up and play whenever I want and drop for however long while I play other things. Its simple. It feels good. You can create obvious goals for yourself. As I listed above there are a TON of builds to try out. You can put thousands of hours into it pretty easily.

I don't like PoE. It feels clunky. Its overwhelming. The character creation is limited so you don't feel the RPG elements in ARPG (Not that D3 has had much of this either but at least you can choose gender). On top of that I play somewhat casually and PoE does not jive with that. I've tried to like PoE. Many many times. I just can't.

They're two different games and neither needs to try to be the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    I hope D4 is much like D3, but with actual content.
    Just WoW.

Diablo 4 can't have anything similar from Diablo 3, on gameplay aspects, or it will be another horrible game. The only redeeming aspects are the graphics\animations and sound...

It actually surprises me that people praise Diablo 3. Oh well, guess you'd want Diablo 4 to be a barren wasteland of a game aswell, 'eh? Makes sense.

Also, Diablo 3 has a severe lack of replayability, due to the immediate access to every spell\talent and no penalty for swapping. That's a shot on the foot right there, considering the genre.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    It actually surprises me that people praise Diablo 3. .
    D3 is one of my favorite game ever and I really like everything in this game. Played over 500 hours, I started day one and last time I played was yesterday.

I hope D4 will be exact same thing as D3 with better graphics.

I hate big useless tree like PoE and slow pace games, And I'm not looking for a story, I want to BEAT monsters, more monster, faster... and get more ITEMS.

If I want penalty, I can go play Hardcore.

Btw, in Greater rift, you cant change your spell/talent.

And, D3 is starting to be fun at >200 paragon. All my friend who hate D3 never played past 70.

Anyway, it's an opinion, lot of people prefer PoE style too.
    Last edited by reemi; 2018-07-03 at 02:42 PM.

Deleted
    Like what?! A huge talent tree that you need to read guides into speccing properly, and highly mana consuming abilities that prevent you from spamming cool stuff?!

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    I'm quite fond of the talent system in Diablo 3, or I should say the concept of it. There are a lot of choices that are clearly better, and some that are better for this set or that set. Ideally they should be powerful enough that switching to a different talent is the kind of thing you do more often for circumstances that they work best with. More choices might be nice too, or perhaps minor way to alter or enhance them individually.

The only thing PoE has going for it over D3 in my opinion is trading. That's why gear sets are so strong, you're basically in it for yourself and you can't trade up for better gear. I wish they didn't get rid of trading altogether. That to me was the best part of D2. Finding that perfect drop to sell, or finding lots of lesser drops to gain currency to buy that piece of gear. What do you do now? "SWEET perfect rolled gloves...equipped and done, back to grinding!"

They need trading back. They need to work on some form of currency so it's not so stupid and have trading re-introduced. I'm iffy on the RMAH, could work but...it didn't last time.

seems the consensus so far is a no to the op question. taking it another direction. i wonder if blizzard has ever considered transforming the diablo franchise into an actual mmo.

Quote Originally Posted by reemi View Post
    D3 is one of my favorite game ever and I really like everything in this game. Played over 500 hours, I started day one and last time I played was yesterday.

I hate big useless tree like PoE and slow pace games, And I'm not looking for a story, I want to BEAT monsters, more monster, faster... and get more ITEMS.

If I want penalty, I can go play Hardcore.

And, D3 is starting to be fun at >200 paragon. All my friend who hate D3 never played past 70.

PoE isn't slow paced if you build right. Like, at all. I agree though that combat flow in PoE is clunky while in D3 is extremely polished.

The issues in D3 are about the game systems, which are abysmal. If D4 is D3 HD it will just bomb really hard. A game with the legacy of Diablo cannot simply be a 2 hour trip every 3 moths because you can do everything in that time.

GRs are completely pointless. It's not endgame, it's an artificial treadmill sine you don't get anything new the more you play - only bigger numbers to the point you can just turn them off and notice how shallow the game is. You don't get more items, you just get more shards. Everything is a sidegrade, since getting a full set of gear requires next to no time.

There are very good things in D3 aswell as bad ones; hopefully they ditch the latter and improve the game structures overall.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ultraxion View Post
    Like what?! A huge talent tree that you need to read guides into speccing properly, and highly mana consuming abilities that prevent you from spamming cool stuff?!
    So basically you don't want a resource system at all, you don't want to think, and just mash buttons to make stuff explode. Honestly, you're watching Youtube videos to know what's the best build, so what's the difference? Plus, in PoE you reach the same level of spamming and mana is not an issue (all builds end up with 80+% mana reserved for auras and passives), you just reach it slightly later on.

Anyway yes, the tree is overcomplicated and scares a lot of new players. Design choice. I think D3 freedom is nice, but since there's no choice at all when you cont sets in, then there's no freedom at all. The game just gives you X builds with some clear best options.

I played D3 1000+ hours, i enjoyed the ride and definitely got my money's worth. However, it falls short on longevity and there's a reason why a second expansion has been scrapped and the game is in maintenance mode with the same stuff going on for years with no actual new content.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultraxion View Post
    God forbid a game requires you to think.

That said, there's no way a Blizzard game will ever be as complex as PoE. One of its main issues is the skill floor - you need to be pretty decent at the game to even properly play the game. That would definitely be one of the main things Blizzard would try to improve.

D3 however is on the other end of the spectrum. You're almost punished for thinking. Just sit there mindlessly clicking while drool rolls out your open mouth.

- - - Updated - - -

I've got several hundred hours in D3, sitting at like Paragon 700-800, from several years ago. It's fun, but it's mindless and there's too little endgame content.

D4 will need to do two things - first thing is objective and undeniable: they need to figure out a way to make the game keep making money so that it isn't abandoned. Most likely we'll see the same loot boxes and similar that the other games have gotten, and a push for multiplayer to make those skins and whatnot wanted.

Second is subjective but I think most would agree - they need to make the game less simple. More stats that are decent rather than all res, your two main stats, CDR, and your basic damage stats. Also allow for more actual build diversity - not just 2-4 gear sets that allow for one build each.

The Patient
    5+ Year Old Account

Blizzard cannot afford to make another D3. The kind of longevity and content people want in D4 is only going to happen with a better business model and a redesigned character/talent system.

PoE's passive system isn't nearly as daunting as it looks, especially if you take a little time to learn the layout.

Besides, with a well-made build you can go way, waaaaay faster than anything D3 has to offer. D3 actually slows down considerably the further up the Grift chain you go.

You're not going to be swapping skills much in a PoE map either since, y'know, you'll be busy fighting monsters.

The fact that the game locks your build only during a timed 'dungeon run' is not the same thing as having to make permanent character choices. At all.

I could easily counter this by saying "Anyone who hates PoE never got up to mapping." The two statements are roughly equivalent.

The problem with D3 is that it 'starts to get fun' and then 'stops being fun' in an incredibly short window of time: roughly the time between getting the last piece of your build and then subsequently having nothing to do bar running grifts until your eyeballs fall out.

Like modern WoW, Blizzard has designed D3 in such a way that the process of levelling is nothing more than a small chore to get out of the way in order to reach the 'endgame'. Unlike modern WoW though, D3 has no endgame. Therein lies the fundamental problem with the game, and something Blizzard will have to give some serious consideration before they start working on the next Diablo.

Quote Originally Posted by EbonBehelit- View Post
    The problem with D3 is that it 'starts to get fun' and then 'stops being fun' in an incredibly short window of time: roughly the time between getting the last piece of your build and then subsequently having nothing to do bar running grifts until your eyeballs fall out.

Like modern WoW, Blizzard has designed D3 in such a way that the process of levelling is nothing more than a small chore to get out of the way in order to reach the 'endgame'. Unlike modern WoW though, D3 has no endgame. Therein lies the fundamental problem with the game, and something Blizzard will have to give some serious consideration before they start working on the next Diablo.
    I agree with this and want to add something to it.

D3 actually starts to get fun immediately - from the very first moment you feel involved since combat flow is just perfect. Leveling is really fun (while fast) and you actually get upgrades, feel more powerful the more you progress and feels rewarding overall. Then you hit level cap and the flow just becomes an RNG rollercoaster based on how fast you get your set pieces or the right uniques; each one of them increases the game speed by an awful lot - then you're stuck there until you find the next one.

By the end, the actual flow has slowed so much you'll find yourself farming the same random thing over and over to pad your numbers enough to tackle the next level. Everything is a sidegrade, doesn't have any impact on gameplay, it's literally building up enough points to set the bar slightly higher than before.

PoE on the other side starts extremely slow. It takes qute a bunch to get really effective depending on your build - most people get annoyed and leave because of that. The ones that keep playing either find that the game speeds up at later stages unexpectedly or that their build is crap and they have to restart (until they followed a guide). Endgame is really interesting and poses a good and balanced challenge - though reaching that can be a pain.

The point is that while PoE approach is not the best for everyone, it's paying off a lot more than D3's, and we all see it. Lots of content and great constant revenue - stuff D3 doesn't have. There's a lot more to say too - they're 2 completely different beasts at this point.

The Patient
    5+ Year Old Account
    PoE on the other side starts extremely slow. It takes qute a bunch to get really effective depending on your build - most people get annoyed and leave because of that. The ones that keep playing either find that the game speeds up at later stages unexpectedly or that their build is crap and they have to restart (until they followed a guide). Endgame is really interesting and poses a good and balanced challenge - though reaching that can be a pain.

The point is that while PoE approach is not the best for everyone, it's paying off a lot more than D3's, and we all see it. Lots of content and great constant revenue - stuff D3 doesn't have. There's a lot more to say too - they're 2 completely different beasts at this point.
    The analogy I've always used is that of food: Diablo 3 is a nice easy takeout meal, while PoE is a grueling bout of home cooking. Both have their place, but one is always going to outlast the other.

The thing about PoE's endgame is that there's a decent amount of actually challenging content that can only be attempted high-level build and great gear. I mean, this probably isn't typical, but I've clocked over 1k hours into PoE and never even attempted Shaper, Elder, Council or Uber Atziri. Even so, having that plateau above me to strive for is a solid motivating factor. Well, that and the fact that there's dozens of builds I've yet to try.

Blizzard's going to have to try a lot harder than 'double goblins' if they want to experiment with seasonal mechanics too. especially if they're shooting for anything even remotely as interesting as what PoE does with seasons.

This can not be a real post, the beginning of the game featured multiple day outages, since it was online only, it also featured the AH and RMAH, and required you to play from points in the story. Some more gems, spenders did less damage than generators, the best farming was smashing vases in torment act iv, the highest level monsters dropped gear ranging from level 45 to 60 making, class specific items spawned with the incorrect primary stat, legendaries were rare and terrible.

That was just the beginning, there was also the time period with the Nephalem buff and the waiting for Loot 2.0, which was promised, then delayed, then only realized once RoS was out, going back on the promise that Blizzard made. Even Loot 2.0 was mediocre for gearing. The game is still haunted by the bizarre design decisions they made, look at zoning in to fight a boss, you get forced into a cut scene.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeic View Post
    This can not be a real post, the beginning of the game featured multiple day outages, since it was online only, it also featured the AH and RMAH, and required you to play from points in the story. Some more gems, spenders did less damage than generators, the best farming was smashing vases in torment act iv, the highest level monsters dropped gear ranging from level 45 to 60 making, class specific items spawned with the incorrect primary stat, legendaries were rare and terrible.

That was just the beginning, there was also the time period with the Nephalem buff and the waiting for Loot 2.0, which was promised, then delayed, then only realized once RoS was out, going back on the promise that Blizzard made. Even Loot 2.0 was mediocre for gearing. The game is still haunted by the bizarre design decisions they made, look at zoning in to fight a boss, you get forced into a cut scene.
    I enjoy D3 since the beginning, I will never complain about a game being "online"... I always have internet so I don't mind, And I played WoW a lot so it wasnt not so different to be honest...

I had fun with RMAH actually, I made lot of money with this.

But, I prefer the game without it.

Yes, game is better now, but it was great at the beginning too.

The analogy I've always used is that of food: Diablo 3 is a nice easy takeout meal, while PoE is a grueling bout of home cooking. Both have their place, but one is always going to outlast the other.

The thing about PoE's endgame is that there's a decent amount of actually challenging content that can only be attempted high-level build and great gear. I mean, this probably isn't typical, but I've clocked over 1k hours into PoE and never even attempted Shaper, Elder, Council or Uber Atziri. Even so, having that plateau above me to strive for is a solid motivating factor. Well, that and the fact that there's dozens of builds I've yet to try.

Blizzard's going to have to try a lot harder than 'double goblins' if they want to experiment with seasonal mechanics too. especially if they're shooting for anything even remotely as interesting as what PoE does with seasons.
    Agree.

I'm pretty confident that D3 suffered both from bad design decisions in Vanilla like the AH (i'm not against trading; making it too convenient is what makes everything collapse) and from the fact Blizzard at the time shifted lots of resources into WoW since the game was in a very bad state (WoD) and they got Legion out of this effort, which has been pretty much successful.

I assume that since they've dealt with the "wow emergency" now the team is super focused in restoring the Diablo franchise. They're not going to recover D3 - it's a "failed" project (meaning it didn't live up the Diablo legacy) but they're going to invest a lot on a new Diablo game. Also, given the job postings we went through it seems that the gameplay will have a quite big shift (or graphics will be improved a lot).

The Patient
    5+ Year Old Account
    I assume that since they've dealt with the "wow emergency" now the team is super focused in restoring the Diablo franchise. They're not going to recover D3 - it's a "failed" project (meaning it didn't live up the Diablo legacy) but they're going to invest a lot on a new Diablo game. Also, given the job postings we went through it seems that the gameplay will have a quite big shift (or graphics will be improved a lot).
    Pretty much. The fact that D3 is being run by a skeleton crew right now essentially proves that there's nothing else in the pipeline, so whatever the Diablo team is working on has nothing to do with D3.

The necromancer pack was an attempt to give D3 a revenue stream to justify making more content later, but that's obviously not panned out quite as hoped. Therefore, we can expect the next Diablo game to have either RMT cosmetics or loot boxes (a la Overwatch) - irrespective of the game's actual content model or gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I'm not sure why you quoted me on this one, I didn't disagree with what you were saying. :O
    You know honestly, I think my brain turned off for a minute and I completely misread you. My apologies.

Diablo needs to drop the tier set shit

I thought PoE was exactly what I wanted in an APRG until I played it. Don't get me wrong, I loved it... For a week. but once I had cleared my atlas and beat every boss the game just became "spam 1 map on an infinite loop" which was even more boring than D3.

I'm not much of a skill tree guy (I just follow a guide), never been my thing nor am I an alts guy so I guess that's a big part of the game I miss... I don't know what it was D2 did that just kept me wanting more but since then none of these new ARPGs are able to hold my attention for more than a week. Maybe the genre just doesn't work for me these days because I've lost reason to keep grinding beyond the point where my character can clear all the content.

The necromancer pack was an attempt to give D3 a revenue stream to justify making more content later, but that's obviously not panned out quite as hoped. Therefore, we can expect the next Diablo game to have either RMT cosmetics or loot boxes (a la Overwatch) - irrespective of the game's actual content model or gameplay.
    I tend to fit the Necro DLC into "let's try to monetize the only salvageable parts of the scrapped second expansion" category. Lots of datamined stuff that had been added after RoS release had the "X2" label, meaning that it was content of a supposedly planned and never released expansion.

If Necro was successful as they state, why not design other new class DLCs which would be pretty much well received by the community? Everyone knows that new content requires new revenue. So if they really wanted to make more D3 stuff they would have announced something of this sort, not the "double goblin" theme seasons.

Agree on microtx part. I'm fine with them - PoE implemented them in the best way possible, and i hope Blizzard doesn't put lootboxes in Diablo. Obviously if it's only cosmetics it's not a big deal in terms of gameplay impact, but not knowing how much i need to spend to get a specific thing is totally awful and just a scam. Especially since it's just skins. A shop would make just everyone happy.