Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

[TV] The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance returns to the world of Thra with an all new adventure. When three Gelfling discover the horrifying secret behind the Skeksis’ power, they set out on an epic journey to ignite the fires of rebellion and save their world.
    Does anyone have any more information on this series? Netflix released a teaser last year on YouTube but since then there really hasn't been a great deal of information on it.

From what I've heard, it's going to be a hybrid of puppetry and CG, which I'm happy for, although in my opinion, out of all the puppets that could/should be CG...I honestly feel like gelflings would be the best fit. The gelflings puppets are just really uncanny valley-ish and never moved very fluently to the point of being very believable.

Well, No CGI. It's all about the puppets

That's something...*sigh*
    Although, I still think that some movies should never see a sequel.
    Still, it's good that the focus in making this is about the puppets.

If you're a Dark Crystal fan, the 2nd episode of Jim Henson's Creature Shop Challenge was about Skeksis.

Full cast has been announced and the main characters have been revealed. It's looking pretty stacked so far. (Can't post links yet)

I'm also waiting for info. A few weeks ago they revealed some Gelfling images though:

I hope Henson studios don't screw this up. Henson's studios hasn't been on it's A-game for a while... >_<

Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post
    I'm also waiting for info. A few weeks ago they revealed some Gelfling images though:

I hope Henson studios don't screw this up. Henson's studios hasn't been on it's A-game for a while... >_<
    If they aren't using all puppets I will not be watching,I haven't seen good puppet work in a show since Farscape ended,Henson's studio's work on Rygel and Pilot are still amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanrefni View Post
    If they aren't using all puppets I will not be watching,I haven't seen good puppet work in a show since Farscape ended,Henson's studio's work on Rygel and Pilot are still amazing.
    Yeah, Farscape is honestly one of my favourite shows of all time, Henson’s work with the various puppets along the way was fantastic.

As for this show... I’m still very wary, but the cast is excellent. So let’s hope the script holds up!
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Lanrefni View Post
    I think they will be puppets, but I'm more worried about the writing and such - after such unmitigated disasters like Happytime Murders, ect. =/

With the voices being all celeb, I'm also wondering if they may do what they did with Were the Wild Things are, and have them be puppets/costumes - but CG enhanced facial expressions or something.

I am interested in watching another version of creepy puppets from my childhood in new adventures....this is my life.

Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post
    I think they will be puppets, but I'm more worried about the writing and such
    They confirmed it's 100% puppets except for green screen to remove the puppeteers. There's a BTS image of it (can't link).

But yeah, writing is what it comes down to. The original film had some huge plot holes, but the universe itself is very unique imo. Writing standards have gone up since the 80's though, so I'm expecting it'll be decent.
    Last edited by Prophet June Bug; 2019-01-21 at 08:34 AM.

The appeal of the original film was watching two innocent and charming kids explore their world. Jen and Kira. Jen was given the option of accepting a quest and he did so. Kira was giving the option of helping Jen and she did so. Simple and complete. The worst case scenario is that they stray from that narrative and go deep into the political machinations of some byzantine society or focus on edgelord characters. We'll see.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

From what I've heard it's a mix of puppetry and CGI. Don't quote me on that,though.

Quote Originally Posted by wingweaver84 View Post
    From what I've heard it's a mix of puppetry and CGI. Don't quote me on that,though.
    That's what they said with the initial announcement, but they've gone back on that claim, recently stating everything is puppetry except the green screen to remove the puppeteers.

But we'll be sure when the first trailer/episodes hit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Yeah, Farscape is honestly one of my favourite shows of all time, Henson’s work with the various puppets along the way was fantastic.

As for this show... I’m still very wary, but the cast is excellent. So let’s hope the script holds up!
    Mine too.. and 1 of my favorite moments is the skeksis in an episode of farscape lol chrichton even mentions it.

Netlifx is really drumming up the nostalgia machine lately.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    Mine too.. and 1 of my favorite moments is the skeksis in an episode of farscape lol chrichton even mentions it.
    I LOVE that episode! All the cast doing impressions of each other... SO GOOD. Aeryn and John’s impressions of each other being my favourites!

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    I LOVE that episode! All the cast doing impressions of each other... SO GOOD. Aeryn and John’s impressions of each other being my favourites!
    Lol agree'd I actually watched it once you reminded me.. fucking miss that show! That and SG-1 are my fall asleep shows.

I love how they got both of them to work on SG-1 together it was almost like having the show back, and that show was already amazing in its own right.

RIP preacher.. you know he died IRL>?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    RIP preacher.. you know he died IRL>?
    Do you mean Shepherd Book, from Firefly? Because otherwise, I’m confused.

A few new images from Empire magazine. With the Dark Crystal added to Netflix a few weeks ago, we're getting a late summer/fall release I imagine,

I have to admit it looks very promising.
    Dammit...