Thread: [Movie] Doom

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't get what the obsession is with DoomGUY. It's not like he has any character or personality aside from being a muscle-head who likes to kill shit. He's an empy shell for the player to insert themselves into and enjoy a power fantasy.

Like, are dudes these days so insecure that they can't enjoy their power fantasy if the "player character" has an innie instead of an outie?

I just don't fundamentally see how the movie is going to be different. She's gonna kill shit right? She's gonna kick alien/demon ass right? She's gonna be a badass while doing this shit right? Isn't that pretty much all Doom is about?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    I don't get what the obsession is with DoomGUY. It's not like he has any character or personality aside from being a muscle-head who likes to kill shit. He's an empy shell for the player to insert themselves into and enjoy a power fantasy.

Like, are dudes these days so insecure that they can't enjoy their power fantasy if the "player character" has an innie instead of an outie?

I just don't fundamentally see how the movie is going to be different. She's gonna kill shit right? She's gonna kick alien/demon ass right? She's gonna be a badass while doing this shit right? Isn't that pretty much all Doom is about?
    The Demon's lore for the Doom"guy" in the latest Doom refers to the Protagonist as the Doomslayer, or something along those lines. So it could be argued that the Doomslayer is whomever is playing the game. So a case for a Female Doomslayer could be argued if they're basing the movie on the 2016 reboot and not of any of the other games that came before it.

And really, Doomguy just sounds weird that we fans come to accept since the days of Doom (or the comics which were based on Doom). Though I prefer Doomslayer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    If it's based off the 2016 Doom game, it might actually be semi-decent...!

Who am I kidding? It's gonna be just as bad as the other one.
    But...but...it had Karl Urban in it!

Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    The Demon's lore for the Doom"guy" in the latest Doom refers to the Protagonist as the Doomslayer, or something along those lines. So it could be argued that the Doomslayer is whomever is playing the game. So a case for a Female Doomslayer could be argued if they're basing the movie on the 2016 reboot and not of any of the other games that came before it.

And really, Doomguy just sounds weird that we fans come to accept since the days of Doom (or the comics which were based on Doom). Though I prefer Doomslayer.
    My issue with Doomslayer is that it sounds like either someone who slays doom, or brings doom to slayers. Doomguy is neither. Doomguy is a guy who brings about doom. Yes, you're absolutely right it sounds dumb, but it communicates who he is better than doomslayer to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    My issue with Doomslayer is that it sounds like either someone who slays doom, or brings doom to slayers. Doomguy is neither. Doomguy is a guy who brings about doom. Yes, you're absolutely right it sounds dumb, but it communicates who he is better than doomslayer to me.
    It doesn't communicate who he is, it just communicates what he is.

Beyond that, he has no character.

You could make a 2 hour movie filmed from first-person about someone with a gun shooting monsters and it would probably be better than the last Doom movie.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another video game to movie attempt. Good luck to them. I expect poop. :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Deleted
    Doom guy is white?
    Doomguy in DOOM2016 (which seems to be what this is based off), is most certainly white.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well the only way it could work, without having doomguy in it, is if it happened before doomguy get's there and starts to exterminate demonkind, and that doesn't really speak well for the characters since they'd be dead by then, maybe one of them survives and is saved by doomguy?

I could see that working though, basically a how it started movie...

but who am I kidding, it'll be a disaster either way because I doubt they could pull even that off...

Deleted
    Ah, so they revamp it just to introduce a strong independent woman who don't need no man. Okay, not gonna watch it anyway. I hate blatant PC propaganda bullshit.

The Force is female.
    Last edited by mmocb32a24d4db; 2018-07-05 at 07:15 AM.

I am really curious what some studios think. Has there ever been a movie that got better, when you switch an iconic male character with a female? If it fits, women are fine. Forced not so much.

A win for them, they don't have to come up with an original idea, they can say look we are casting women in main roles and they can blame men for its failure.

and it's going to fail, everyone knows that, but unlike the 2005 doom with its dirty male lead, now they can blame someone other than themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus View Post
    Most people won't even remember that Karl Urban (Eomer from LoTR and Bones from ST) was also in the movie, and his was arguably the best performance of the film.

Honestly, I am expecting the reboot to be just as much of a shitshow as the original.
    I had no idea that was him, the only thing i remember him from is ST and Dredd(terrible movie that i loved for some reason)
    Last edited by infinit; 2018-07-05 at 08:02 AM.

I'd be really surprised if they manage to make it worse than the other movie. Can only get better.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Teph View Post
    I am really curious what some studios think. Has there ever been a movie that got better, when you switch an iconic male character with a female? If it fits, women are fine. Forced not so much.
    Just waiting for a female Judge Dredd now. See if they got the balls to do that

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    I'd be really surprised if they manage to make it worse than the other movie. Can only get better.
    Looking at the director/writer and the cast, I'd be surprised if they can make a single bearable scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Just waiting for a female Judge Dredd now. See if they got the balls to do that
    There have been female judges in every Dredd movie so far, so really no point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teph View Post
    Diversity these days is what protecting environment was to the early 90's late 80's... ?We know its good but they gotta hammer that shit in.

Oh yea that was a thing for a few years... Every TV or movie nearly had this message, from movies like Furngully and Once Upon a Forest to TV such as Captain Planet, even seeping its way into normal shows like Saved by the Bell, Alf, Alvin and the Chipmunks to name a few... As a kid I really didn't notice it much, but when you look back you realise how forced it was.

Now I am happy with diversity, I have no issue with this being a film with a Doomgirl, but we all know that this is all about money and has nothing to do with diversity. Diversity itself is just a giant money maker now days, even though for the most part it hasnt been proven that it actually makes money outside of publicity and controversy. Considering this movie will most likely flop at least they can salvage what they got from its diversity message.
    Last edited by Orby; 2018-07-05 at 08:33 AM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Doomguy in DOOM2016 (which seems to be what this is based off), is most certainly white.
    In my defence I picked the game up last week, only on the 3rd mission so far.

It's going to be a terrible movie based on known information. What next, a white woman playing Martin Luther King?
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

7+ Year Old Account
    Aww ffs, I thought i'ts Marvels Doom topic.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Deleted
    In my defence I picked the game up last week, only on the 3rd mission so far.
    Then maybe pay attention in the very first scene of the game?