Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I'm all in favor of an expanded playoffs to give teams like UCF a chance to prove themselves against a power conference. But it honestly sounds like you're complaining for the sake of complaining. If you're going to argue that the SEC is overrated, you might want to wait until they don't win nine of the past twelve titles (and competed in eleven of the past twelve).
    They? You mean Bama?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    And? Alabama has proven time and again they deserve to be there. Until someone puts them out before the championship game, there isnt much of an argument there.
    Same argument for Utah 08/04.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilithvia View Post
    They? You mean Bama?

- - - Updated - - -

Same argument for Utah 08/04.
    Utah as a football powerhouse isnt ringing any bells.

Utah as a football powerhouse isnt ringing any bells.
    Certainly rang Alabama's bell last time they played

Quote Originally Posted by Brubear View Post
    Certainly rang Alabama's bell last time they played
    When was that 10 years ago?

When was that 10 years ago?
    So now what happened more than a few years ago doesn't matter, eh?

Considering it was only Sabbans 2nd season there and over a decade ago, yeah it matters. Utah may have won the battle, appears Alabama won the war considering where the two programs are now.

I mean, it really doesn't take much to see that the system has been geared in their favor for awhile (see: the year Alabama had a rematch against LSU for the BCS title after having just played each other in the SEC championship). Has Alabama performed pretty well (even ignoring the way they've set up their schedule very much skew things to their advantage)? Yes. But outside of Alabama and whatever other team happens to be coming in second to them that year, the SEC as a whole has been rather mediocre (and even with some of those schools downright bad). Yet every year we keep hearing about how tough the SEC is because for some reason people keep buying into the hype that Tennessee and Arkansas are back, or that Ole Miss/Miss State/Mizzou/TA&M have finally figured out how to stay competitive, or that LSU and Auburn have turned things around and will challenge Alabama (and everyone just ignores Vandy).

The SEC has been Alabama (replaced by Auburn a couple of times) vs Georgia (occasionally Florida) for awhile now. The rest of the SEC has not deserved the amount of hype they keep getting every year (as seen by their OOC/bowl record over that span).

- - - Updated - - -

Cool, they still completely dismantled Alabama that year and the AP at least recognized that them being left out was a mistake and were deserving of being co-champions afterwards because of said shellacking. The SEC has had special rules in their favor for quite awhile (again: see the year we had an SEC rematch in the BCS championship because LSU and Alabama were just obviously the two best teams that year. Seriously guys!). I really do think that schedules need to be updated with a teams current ranking, not what they were ranked when you beat them. Always cracks me up to see people say "well they beat 4 ranked teams this year, included 2 top-10 teams!" when only one of those teams even finishes in the top 25.

Ib4 "Alabama was just disappointed to not be playing for the title that year."
    I love ignorant, delusional people who talk about Bama's success.

First of all Alabama did not play LSU in the SEC championship the year they got a rematch in the BCS National Championship game. Not only is that not true (because LSU played Georgia in the SEC Championship that year), but LSU and Alabama are both from the SEC-west and therefore cannot both play in the SEC Championship game.

Secondly, and this is easily verifiable (http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_/...alabama-vs-lsu) the Alabama LSU game that ended 9-6 in OT the first time, and then 21-0 with weeks of prep for the Championship game produced 42 eventual NFL draftees. Of those - 29 of them were drafted from the defenses.

So, I'd love to hear you explain why that rematch was unwarranted. Who should have been left out? Alabama or LSU? The only rational answer would have to be Alabama since we lost by 3 points in overtime towards the end of the season, but then we won the championship 21-0? But go ahead. PLEASE make this argument in detail.

I love you are still reveling in a loss in a bowl game 10 years ago as evidence of something? Alabama players were on record saying the game was not taken seriously because they weren't playing for a championship. Which isn't an excuse for losing sure, but the point is this is exactly the cultural difference between teams like Alabama and teams like UCF/Utah. When you are a fluke that one bowl game means everything because in your delusional mind it means way more than it does. No real person thinks Utah shared a damn thing with Florida in 08. Nor did any real human being believe UCF shared a damn thing with Alabama last year - nor will they with whoever wins the playoff this year.

I'm also entertained that you think anything is skewed to our advantage. Just a quick analysis of the schedules of UCF and Alabama:
    UCF opponents combined W/L: 69-77 (only 5 of the 11 teams they played this season qualify for bowl with 6 wins)
    Alabama opponents combined W/L: 85-72 (8 of the 13 different teams played qualify for a bowl with 6 wins)

The mental gymnastics required to simultaneously complain that Alabama skews their schedule by scheduling teams you think are easy while UCF goes undefeated on the back of defeating those types of teams the entire season. Laughable.

At the end of the day the only way, and I mean the only way things will get better for UCF's chances of making the playoff will be if they join a real conference......maybe even the SEC? Surely they would have no reason to be afraid of playing in this conference every year right.........right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    (Since Bama is the example everyone uses) I don't think any UCF realistically thinks we could be Bama but thats not the point. We think that not one, but two stellar seasons would at least us compete.

We're talking CFB here, nobody is stupid. Even the 'get a tougher schedule' boils down to 'our schedule has more popular teams than yours'. Which is why UCF will claim the national champship once again this year if we win, parades, t-shirts, and all.
    Because why attempt to make an effort to improve your situation by joining a real conference and solving all of your problems when you can pretend to be relevant.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lilithvia View Post
    Just stop with the "SEC is Best" mentality when it's clearly not.
    75% of SEC teams get ranked when they shouldn't be, and ranked as high as they do just because they are SEC, only to lose, and never make it back into the rankings, so teams like Bama can claim they played a tough schedule when they haven't played anyone.

Just stop. The entire nation has been wrapped up in this pro SEC nonsense for years, and to be honest, I'm fucking sick of it.

Edit: Go ahead. Report me again. I dare you.
    No reason to get this upset over the alabama invitational aka the college football playoff baby!

- - - Updated - - -

Love CFB but its become very apparent in the last 15-20 years that it's largely a popularity contest for teams and conferences that have snowballed due to past seasons and not current ones.

National championships, hell the race to the national championship is boring when certain teams are guaranteed spots while teams with spectacular seasons are left feeling like they worked hard for nothing.

Doesn't matter how hard you try, how well you played, you're not even going to get a chance to compete because you're not part of the Good Ole Boys Club.

Too much is done for the sake for tradition and not enough for competition. 10 more years, hell 5, and the NCAA is going to be scrambling to rebrand like the NFL. All it will take is a couple of disgruntled writers to start talking about CFE and athletes not being paid.

The national championship game between UCF and LSU is going to be great.
    If it makes you feel better, I was hoping we would be ranked at #1 with UCF #4 so we could give you that nice ass smearing treatment like Notre Dame or Michigan State which is what is going to happen when you play a real team in a championship game.

Well, since that game Alabama has won 4 National Championships and Utah has joined the Pac 12 and failed to win their conference every year.

So yeah...the fact it was back in 2009 sort of matters a little.

The Pac 12 is also undeniably the weakest of the Power 5 conferences for football in the past 2 decades...If Utah can't even win that crapshoot then they definitely aren't relevant.
    Last edited by Fritters154; 2018-12-16 at 07:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Could you imagine if the 'well your conference is weak' argument got tossed around in the NFL?

Hilarious. I thought we were talking about football, not gymnastics.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Could you imagine if the 'well your conference is weak' argument got tossed around in the NFL?

Hilarious. I thought we were talking about football, not gymnastics.
    I guess you can ignore the argument if you want, but it is the reasoning behind why UCF has been left out twice and will likely never be allowed into a playoff game, other teams in their conference basically prevent them from playing a conference schedule that the committee will respect. They NEED to be scheduling ranked teams in the Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12, SEC, and ACC if they want to get considered because those are the conferences the committee cares about. Having Stanford on the schedule for next season is a step in that direction but the Pac-12 is the least respected of the the 5. If UCF beats Stanford and Stanford is the Pac-12 champion, UCF might get considered for the playoff. If Stanford isn't the Pac-12 champion and UCF goes undefeated, UCF probably still won't get considered.

They should also probably stop with the claiming national titles thing. They depend on the selection committee liking them to ever get in. Easiest way to not get in is repeatedly telling them that they made a mistake and that the school would be ignoring the selection committee's playoff process.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritters154 View Post
    I guess you can ignore the argument if you want, but it is the reasoning behind why UCF has been left out twice and will likely never be allowed into a playoff game, other teams in their conference basically prevent them from playing a conference schedule that the committee will respect. They NEED to be scheduling ranked teams in the Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12, SEC, and ACC if they want to get considered because those are the conferences the committee cares about. Having Stanford on the schedule for next season is a step in that direction but the Pac-12 is the least respected of the the 5. If UCF beats Stanford and Stanford is the Pac-12 champion, UCF might get considered for the playoff. If Stanford isn't the Pac-12 champion and UCF goes undefeated, UCF probably still won't get considered.

They should also probably stop with the claiming national titles thing. They depend on the selection committee liking them to ever get in. Easiest way to not get in is repeatedly telling them that they made a mistake and that the school would be ignoring the selection committee's playoff process.
    Like I said, a popularity contest. Even though all of these are playing the same game in the same division, who you play matters more than winning. You can be somebody if you not already somebody. The prestige card be played at any moment if the committee decides they need another SEC team in the playoffs.

At the end of the day the rules are arbitrary and subject to the committee and not actual performance and numbers.

5+ Year Old Account
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    Like I said, a popularity contest. Even though all of these are playing the same game in the same division, who you play matters more than winning. You can be somebody if you not already somebody. The prestige card be played at any moment if the committee decides they need another SEC team in the playoffs.

At the end of the day the rules are arbitrary and subject to the committee and not actual performance and numbers.
    Yes! somebody gets it!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fritters154 View Post
    Well, since that game Alabama has won 4 National Championships and Utah has joined the Pac 12 and failed to win their conference every year.

So yeah...the fact it was back in 2009 sort of matters a little.

The Pac 12 is also undeniably the weakest of the Power 5 conferences for football in the past 2 decades...If Utah can't even win that crapshoot then they definitely aren't relevant.
    Utah still beat bama with only 2s and 3s when Bama had mostly 4s, with a couple 3s and 5s.

- - - Updated - - -

Its okay. We're just going to a thorn in the side of any SEC fan until we lose.
    Utah's got your back. Don't forget we helped to blaze this trail, but don't forget we've passed the torch to you. Get those G5s INTO the playoffs!

5+ Year Old Account
    Rewatching Utah-Bama.
    You cannot tell me Utah did not deserve to play for the natty in 08.

- - - Updated - - -

Utah's Wilson QB >>>>>>> Bama's qb Wilson > BYU's qb Wilson

10+ Year Old Account
    New Year's Six bowl games starting today, and we had some actual ranked teams compete yesterday. Should be a good day of football!

- - - Updated - - -

Michigan is not playing that well so far. Hopefully this second half they can be more effective, cause expecting too much from a thin defense is probably not going to get them far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Michigan isn't coming back from 17 down to Florida's defense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Michigan isn't coming back from 17 down to Florida's defense.
    Michigan has just absolutely not been a second half team. Neither this year nor other years. That's a coaching issue.

I caught myself idly wondering if Michigan would actually encourage Harbaugh to take the Jets job, just so they could get out of his contract without having to cough up all the dough. At this point both sides kinda have to be thinking about it, right?

- - - Updated - - -

I like this Clemson QB. Not watched any Clemson games this year, but he's a solid QB for being a young guy still.

Notre Dame sucks. Should have been Ohio State or Georgia in instead
    Last edited by muto; 2018-12-30 at 12:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This Bama - OU isn't very competitive either. I turned it off.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Clemson just scored again.
    You cared enough to post.

10+ Year Old Account
    People fought for these shitty playoff games.