Page 1 of 2
LastLast

If There's a Beta, Will You Participate or Wait Till Release to Get Your Classic Fix.

Many times before expansions are released, people eagerly accept beta invites to get into the game early. Whether it's to test a raid to get a head start on progression or see how your class plays, etc.

But with Vanilla, the beta experience may be detrimental to the nostalgia feeling (of playing the finalized game) a lot of people are looking to satiate. So, the question is, if there's a beta for Vanilla will you participate?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    Many times before expansions are released, people eagerly accept beta invites to get into the game early. Whether it's to test a raid to get a head start on progression or see how your class plays, etc.

But with Vanilla, the beta experience may be detrimental to the nostalgia feeling (of playing the finalized game) a lot of people are looking to satiate. So, the question is, if there's a beta for Vanilla will you participate?
    The bold part seems to carry a substantial element of presumption.

I made a poll based on this to help you determine if your premise even has much validity.

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lassic-servers
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2018-07-07 at 04:35 AM.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

5+ Year Old Account

Huge assumption there.

More on topic, I will sure play beta in order to hunt (or at least, try to hunt) any stealth changes that good ol' Blizz might try to slip under the table.

you people are fuckin autistic

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Huge assumption there.

More on topic, I will sure play beta in order to hunt (or at least, try to hunt) any stealth changes that good ol' Blizz might try to slip under the table.
    you have seen my thoughts on this. aside from those, what else can you think of that would be reasonably hard to actually quantify vs. vanilla?
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    you have seen my thoughts on this. aside from those, what else can you think of that would be reasonably hard to actually quantify vs. vanilla?
    Things like spawn/drop rates, and mob armour or damage (especially with spells) are likely to go under the radar if they are nerfed/buffed slightly, let's say by 5%. Anything else and it would be noticed, sooner or later, by some smart old guy

7+ Year Old Account
    The bold part seems to carry a substantial element of presumption.

I made a poll based on this to help you determine if your premise even has much validity.

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lassic-servers
    It is the largest vote, and you have a very small sample size, and you are also on a forum where most of the people on here are people who play alot more then the average person.

I love how you post your poll as a "See your wrong" but it proved them actually right.

but again you have an insanly small sample size so.
    the average player who will play for nostalgia will enter blind, therefore they are not here discussing it on these forums, so i would confidently say if you did this poll in actual game nostalgia would be much higher.\

cause based on what a nostalgia player will want from it, they will be laot less likely to be hanging out here on the forums, where the other options would be much more likely to be here.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    It is the largest vote, and you have a very small sample size, and you are also on a forum where most of the people on here are people who play alot more then the average person.

I love how you post your poll as a "See your wrong" but it proved them actually right.

but again you have an insanly small sample size so.
    the average player who will play for nostalgia will enter blind, therefore they are not here discussing it on these forums, so i would confidently say if you did this poll in actual game nostalgia would be much higher.\

cause based on what a nostalgia player will want from it, they will be laot less likely to be hanging out here on the forums, where the other options would be much more likely to be here.
    The poll is interesting. I don't mind being wrong when some data is provided, rather than a rather broad assertation. I am surprised by people choosing nostalgia, but then again most folks aren't actively playing on 1.12 servers now, I assume. I do, so for me it isn't a nostalgia issue, it is a game version preference issue. I prefer 1.12.1 over anything> 3.4.3, for my purposes.

I made a few errors in choices - needed to include 'community/friends' as 1 or 2 choices, as well as 'trying classic for first time.' I did make my list before doing the poll but never even thought of those two items (neither applies to me). Oh well. For my own curiousity I should have made 'classic AV' its own choice separate from more general bg one.

we can revisit this once the poll is over 100-200 votes. the bigger issue is the fact the poll is in the classic wow section of mmo-c. if anything, it is interesting that people are coming to this forum to vote 'won't play it.'
    - - - Updated - - -

Things like spawn/drop rates, and mob armour or damage (especially with spells) are likely to go under the radar if they are nerfed/buffed slightly, let's say by 5%. Anything else and it would be noticed, sooner or later, by some smart old guy
    Mob armor is a trickier one than damage since it leaves the same mob health. a 5% mob dmg nerf is fairly subtle, I was thinking blizzard would need more like 15-20% to really speed up things. a mob damage and armor nerf would really be cute.
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2018-07-07 at 05:41 AM.

I'd like to do the beta under the guise of assisting bug and stress testing.

Secretly, I'll be evaluating how close to Vanilla it actually feels. Every aspect really.

I imagine though if I miss out, people will likely post their grievances anyways, which I can read about. So no biggie, other than trying it first hand is far better.

10+ Year Old Account

I have my doubts that it'll get a beta, I would believe a stress test though.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

7+ Year Old Account
    The poll is interesting. I don't mind being wrong when some data is provided, rather than a rather broad assertation. I am surprised by people choosing nostalgia, but then again most folks aren't actively playing on 1.12 servers now, I assume. I do, so for me it isn't a nostalgia issue, it is a game version preference issue. I prefer 1.12.1 over anything> 3.4.3, for my purposes.

I made a few errors in choices - needed to include 'community/friends' as 1 or 2 choices, as well as 'trying classic for first time.' I did make my list before doing the poll but never even thought of those two items (neither applies to me). Oh well. For my own curiousity I should have made 'classic AV' its own choice separate from more general bg one.

we can revisit this once the poll is over 100-200 votes. the bigger issue is the fact the poll is in the classic wow section of mmo-c. if anything, it is interesting that people are coming to this forum to vote 'won't play it.'
    - - - Updated - - -

Mob armor is a trickier one than damage since it leaves the same mob health. a 5% mob dmg nerf is fairly subtle, I was thinking blizzard would need more like 15-20% to really speed up things. a mob damage and armor nerf would really be cute.
    Well good for you for owning up to it and seeing the point.
    Yeah if it was somewhere more public we would be sure to see much more nostalgia, not going to play it. But classic is not supposed to be something for the majority and that's fine. And yeah indulging in some nostalgia is great. Look at start craft remastered and halo 1 remastered. Amazing game that at the click of a button let ya play nostalgia mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Well good for you for owning up to it and seeing the point.
    Yeah if it was somewhere more public we would be sure to see much more nostalgia, not going to play it. But classic is not supposed to be something for the majority and that's fine. And yeah indulging in some nostalgia is great. Look at start craft remastered and halo 1 remastered. Amazing game that at the click of a button let ya play nostalgia mode.
    i don't have a problem being demonstrably wrong. I do find it interesting there are only 48 votes - I knew the classic forum was fairly inactive but this surprises me. will check it again sunday night.

You assume much about how the memory works.
    When in doubt, simply ask yourself: "What would Garrosh do?"

#wwgd

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeina View Post
    You assume much about how the memory works.
    At an individual level, you are right. At a large collective level, however, you are not.

At an individual level, you are right. At a large collective level, however, you are not.
    Memory on the collective level is even worse. Especially among a collective that can never agree on something (like the WoW Community)
    When in doubt, simply ask yourself: "What would Garrosh do?"

#wwgd

Quote Originally Posted by Ryjax View Post
    you people are fuckin autistic
    The irony.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeina View Post
    Memory on the collective level is even worse. Especially among a collective that can never agree on something (like the WoW Community)
    No collective ever large enough agrees on small (and sometimes, not so small) details. Politics is the best example.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    I'd like to do the beta under the guise of assisting bug and stress testing.

Secretly, I'll be evaluating how close to Vanilla it actually feels. Every aspect really.

I imagine though if I miss out, people will likely post their grievances anyways, which I can read about. So no biggie, other than trying it first hand is far better.
    Why make it secret? They probably would appreciate people evaluating that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Why make it secret? They probably would appreciate people evaluating that.
    I would think that depends. The way they handle this, actually, will probably tell a lot. What if they are worried they made enough changes that a public beta would harm their buzz from what they must view as their true-believer free-publicity team?

If there's a "beta" of some sort i'll try to get in, no doubts about it.