Poll: Would you play Classic if you unlocked unobtainable items?

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavll View Post
    In your opinion . If they're gonna do something so lame they may as well allow paid transfers off the realm and onto retail. That would make them the most money.
    I would think that they might, eventually. It is an obvious money angle.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudas View Post
    If they allow that you will still get people to come and collect mounts and t3 and transfer back to retail after having everything in their bags, so the population will still be impacted by retail collectors no matter what we want or we don't.
    Oh god... I could finally get my Dreadnaught armor? I really hope they do it, then. I've wanted that set ever since I saw it, but before I could find a raiding group to start farming it, Wrath came out.

EDIT: I know I could sink millions and millions of gold into buying it off the BMAH over several months, but I'd rather farm it at-level.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Oh god... I could finally get my Dreadnaught armor? I really hope they do it, then. I've wanted that set ever since I saw it, but before I could find a raiding group to start farming it, Wrath came out.

EDIT: I know I could sink millions and millions of gold into buying it off the BMAH over several months, but I'd rather farm it at-level.
    it's the same for me with t3 for rogue and warlock since those are the two classes I play on retail. Also the Zulian tiger. These are the only things I want and i can't get in retail (BMAH is cancer and farming that much gold is just not worth). I'd rather raid 6 months on Classic than farm gold cap in retail just for a chance in two years to get that mount.

10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    it's the same for me with t3 for rogue and warlock since those are the two classes I play on retail. Also the Zulian tiger. These are the only things I want and i can't get in retail (BMAH is cancer and farming that much gold is just not worth). I'd rather raid 6 months on Classic than farm gold cap in retail just for a chance in two years to get that mount.
    Yeah, same here. And it's not like we don't want to put effort into it, we just don't want to mindlessly grind gold forever.

Every game can use improvements though, I don't think anyone is arguing about that. The main thing is we (or at least some of us) want it to be as close to the original as possible because the original isn't available anymore. I'm not someone clamoring that there must be ABSOLUTELY NO CHANGES WHATSOEVER but they need to make their best effort to keep it as close to the same as possible, aside from obvious things like Battle.net integration, anti-cheating measures, and bug/exploit fixes.

That said, I'd be fine with toggleable graphics options and cosmetic rewards or achievements you get in Retail through playing Classic.
    One man's "improvement" is another man's "it's ruined now" though. I don't mind toggle-able graphics as long as the default is the original style. I draw the line at achievements in classic though. They brought about a horrible culture among the players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    One man's "improvement" is another man's "it's ruined now" though. I don't mind toggle-able graphics as long as the default is the original style. I draw the line at achievements in classic though. They brought about a horrible culture among the players.
    Yeah. I was more thinking that you'd earn stealth achievements in Classic that only show up on your Retail accounts. So there's no Achievements button in Classic, but you can always check them on your Live character, and will get the notifications when they pop up.

Even that might be too much for you, though! Hard to say.

I had 3 Zulian Tigers before the mount changes to become account wide and I didn't get shit for it! What about benefits for me?!

No. I would not play it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by CasualFilth View Post
    No, you shouldn't play Classic because you want vanity rewards in the Retail version.
    Who are you to tell people why they should or shouldn't play anything? Ive never seen a group as asshurt as the die hard classic nerds over shit that doesn't affect how they play in the slightest.

If I played on vanilla realm and got an item from rag that was xmoggable would you even know if you saw me in live?

10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonkaden View Post
    Who are you to tell people why they should or shouldn't play anything? Ive never seen a group as asshurt as the die hard classic nerds over shit that doesn't affect how they play in the slightest.

If I played on vanilla realm and got an item from rag that was xmoggable would you even know if you saw me in live?
    But you don't DESERVE IT in retail because you never got it in the original Vanilla! I DESERVE IT, ME ME ME ME! /s

I dunno dude, some people are weird. The only legitimate concern is the idea that some people will get engaged in raiding guilds, be active for a while, then drop when they're satisfied with their cosmetic loot. And people drop for random reasons anyway, so /shrug?

But you don't DESERVE IT in retail because you never got it in the original Vanilla! I DESERVE IT, ME ME ME ME! /s

I dunno dude, some people are weird. The only legitimate concern is the idea that some people will get engaged in raiding guilds, be active for a while, then drop when they're satisfied with their cosmetic loot. And people drop for random reasons anyway, so /shrug?
    I just don't get it honestly. I farm transmog constantly. I go to MC, BWL, and every other old raid every week like clockwork. If I played and brought xmog from the classic MC over to retail, wouldn't I have actually earned it instead of just one shotting the whole raid?

Lets be real here. Half of the people crying about this were all of 10-11 years old during vanilla. I couldn't imagine 35-40 year old guys bitching about this if it were to be added. If they are bitching... well damn. Thats kinda weak, sad, pathetic, (insert any other synonym here).

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonkaden View Post

The incentive is to play Classic as it was. Why would you play a different game to gain a vanity item in another one? Classic should be its own thing, NOT an extension to Retail.
    Be loyal to what matters - Arthur Morgan

NX Friend Code: SW-0102-0077-4738

Attrition is a much bigger problem in classic than later, since every major raid is 40 man. So we don't really need another reason for people to become engaged then quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Attrition is a much bigger problem in classic than later, since every major raid is 40 man. So we don't really need another reason for people to become engaged then quit.
    It's gonna happen anyway, especially when people realize that no new content is going to be added.

10+ Year Old Account
    two words: Corrupted Ashbringer.

I'd go Survival on my Retail Hunter just to show that off on Live
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    No way they cross stuff like this over. It would give people a chance to finish off some mail or leather sets that were switched to plate or mail so that would be one thing for me and luckily able to be taken care of at a lower level. The tier gear however would take far too long and need way too much effort. It would be easier to just buy it off of the BMAH for a few million instead of making a character getting to 60 and putting in all the work to raid and get to and complete Naxx. Unless they gut the hell out of the place most of the people certain they will be raiding it are shit out of luck and even if you do get in there good luck getting the gear you want in a timely fashion.

- - - Updated - - -

A very short sighted one and a great way to skin their cash cow. You can milk a cow forever you can only skin it once. Once they jump the shark and start doing things like this it will be them tipping their hand that they are throwing in the towel and looking to cash out.
    Heard this when the they first started selling mounts too.

Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    Heard this when the they first started selling mounts too.
    Not even close to the same thing.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    Not even close to the same thing.
    principle is the same. many folks openly said blizz would never, ever stoop to fun-server type stuff like instant-max-level-toons. Then they did.

Folks said blizzard would never, ever sell gold (remember the Pardo Rule?).

there is nothing blizzard cannot sell that will not have some contingent of customers re=adjusting their notions on where their 'red line' is on pay to win. Currently it seems to be if it isn't selling bis gear, it isn't p2w and isn't a problem for many people.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Deleted
    I think it might be best to keep classic servers and retail completely separated, so retail players don't feel compelled to come play vanilla if they don't want to (because nobody want people to start whining about classic servers if they don't enjoy the gameplay) .

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think this is a very good idea.

Throughout WoW's lifespan, there have always been complaints from players about "having to do something in PvP" just to progress a questline in PvE. Or vice versa. They moan about how much they hate a battleground, or they "go AFK" in a LFR group, and have no real desire to participate in the content. They just want some sort of reward, so they can get back to the activities that they actually enjoy.

I foresee the same thing happening here. Players who have no desire to play Classic for its own merits, because they think it's shitty / inconvenient / unbalanced, or any of the other many criticisms that are seen daily on the forums. But they come along as reluctant "tourists", to get some kind of prize for the real game. They'll claim that they're "forced" to do this.

I believe that overall it will sour the experience for many players - both the group that are only there to collect cosmetic sets, as well as the group that are playing because they enjoy/prefer the vanilla gameplay.