Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Some angry script kiddie got banned and decided to throw a cyber tantrum by DDos'ing Blizzard again...
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    Well, you may want to read the tweet more closely. It says a DDoS attack against service providers, NOT against Blizz themselves. As such, it would not be impacting every game like the OP states.

In so far as your comments about my post, you are correct, this time. It was a DDoS attack, though not against Blizz, however, my statement still stands. People are constantly touting Blizz being the target of a DDoS attack because they're getting some lag in game. Just search the forums and you'll see it's true.
    Blizzard doesn't have their own ISP's. The attack is against the ISP's they are using aka service providers. Attacking Blizzard head on would do nothing but possibly take down their website or stop development from googling/twitter/facebook, etc.

All their servers are co-located in datacenters they rent space from. Primarily from AT&T.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    To be fair, blizzard has occasionally taken active, deliberate steps to encourage an image of institutional incompetence. Who doesn't remember blue saying they didn't have the server code for classic wow anymore? Anyone knowing the business even a little would realize just how gross a level of cock-up they were claiming to have committed (no secure version backup service? didn't pay the monthly storage bill? lost the floppies?), and not seeming very bothered by it (it was a lie, of course).
    I'm pretty sure it was some dumbass that made a forum post saying the source code was lost and it spread like wildfire as if Blizzard made the statement.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Quote Originally Posted by Greathoudini View Post
    So you think Blizz has connections with other internet providers from around the US and Canada, hey?

Look, let's just treat you the way you're trying to treat others here.

You're a cunt. Fuck off.
    It's unfortunate you won't be able to reply for a little bit, but do *you* think they don't?

Hint: they do

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post

I'm pretty sure it was some dumbass that made a forum post saying the source code was lost and it spread like wildfire as if Blizzard made the statement.
    I want to say a blue said that at some point, as part of an interview where he was explaining why it was too much work for too little gain, in essence. credible posters (not just the anti-nostalgics) took it seriously when it was sourced on the megathread, though those in the software business were understandably confused about how a company like blizzard could claim not to have secure version backup offsite etc.

when nost claimed (and blizz later verified) that blizz had the source code, it directly contradicted a blue statement to that effect.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Do people just randomly throw around DDoS these days? I highly doubt this happened and why did you feel the need to explain what you think it is? Upping post count?
    It is what Blizzard stated and I explained it to let people know what exactly is happening.

Do people just randomly throw around DDoS these days? I highly doubt this happened and why did you feel the need to explain what you think it is? Upping post count?
    "Upping post count" ??!

LOL. what is this, 2003?