Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Upgrade to Windows 10?

I currently use Windows 8.1. Should I upgrade to Windows 10?

Sure, but make sure you include the product key to your Microsoft account before you upgrade.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on what you want. If you are wanting to use Direct X 12 in games, then yes. And also security updates for Windows 8.1 will end in 2023. For now, I am perfectly happy with Windows 8.1 however. Eventually I will have to upgrade to Win.10+, but not in any rush to.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuben View Post
    Sure, but make sure you include the product key to your Microsoft account before you upgrade.
    What does that even mean considering that happens automatically unless you weren't using one at all?

yes, there is no reason not to.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

There really is no reason not to update to Windows 10. One caveat is that we have been running into occasional issues where we upgrade a 7 or 8.1 to 10 and it activates. Then after a couple months, it deactivates. Unsure if MS is deactivating upgrades that were not in the "free upgrade" time-frame that ended awhile back or what, but it has happened to three or four machines.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CerealLord View Post
    There really is no reason not to update to Windows 10. One caveat is that we have been running into occasional issues where we upgrade a 7 or 8.1 to 10 and it activates. Then after a couple months, it deactivates. Unsure if MS is deactivating upgrades that were not in the "free upgrade" time-frame that ended awhile back or what, but it has happened to three or four machines.
    Well, there are reasons. One is, why spend the money when what you have is working fine? And there is the old saying, do not try to fix something which is not broken.

But like I said, I will eventually have to upgrade, but when I do, as you have pointed out, I will do a clean install. Not try to upgrade win. 8.1.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    And there is the old saying, do not try to fix something which is not broken.
    Except Windows 8 was, and is, broken in many ways.

A lot of people simply say "I dont like the way it looks" which is more opinion than anything, and opinion doens't go very far in determining if something is 'working'.

That said, I spend most of my time fixing computers. Win 8 made some great strides in the background, technical aspect, but is a complete clownboat when it comes to UI and UX. But even beyond that, it falls into a weird development hole for both drivers, compatibility, and functionality. I get the most obscure issues that come up in Win8. Most of Win10 stuff is just fixable, and Win7 is nice because a lot of hard problems that come up are simply not fixable, and the easy solution is BFR to 10 more often than not.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Most of Win10 stuff is just fixable, and Win7 is nice because a lot of hard problems that come up are simply not fixable, and the easy solution is BFR to 10 more often than not.
    Win10 is great for a gaming PC. I still keep my Win7 backups ready when microsoft shuts down Win10 (un)-intentionally.

I don't like the permanent online subscription model at all. I payed for the software the full price but it can be taken away anytime just like a cheap sub model.

Sometimes I just wish that the DX extortion for gaming will end. Using the monopoly to force DX or METAL over the standard OpenGL is bad for every user. Imagine for a second that OpenGL was used as the standard, games would run on linux/mac/windows and people would choose what ever they want, in most cases would be even linux since its just faster without the windows overhead.

My plan A is using Win10, plan B for the "shut down" Win7 (pre-activated/offline) and plan C whatever the F I want as soon as the monoply is crushed, maybe some EU regulations could help.
    -

10+ Year Old Account
    Except Windows 8 was, and is, broken in many ways.

A lot of people simply say "I dont like the way it looks" which is more opinion than anything, and opinion doens't go very far in determining if something is 'working'.

That said, I spend most of my time fixing computers. Win 8 made some great strides in the background, technical aspect, but is a complete clownboat when it comes to UI and UX. But even beyond that, it falls into a weird development hole for both drivers, compatibility, and functionality. I get the most obscure issues that come up in Win8. Most of Win10 stuff is just fixable, and Win7 is nice because a lot of hard problems that come up are simply not fixable, and the easy solution is BFR to 10 more often than not.
    Except, I have not had any issues with win. 8.1. Someday, a game I may want to play will come out which will only support Direct X 12+, but until then, I am fine with it. And of course, the security updates are important and I will want those. Not had any issues that I can think of which would make me want to switch yet to windows 10. I know I am on limited time with it. I think it depends on what each individual does with their computers. For my use, win. 8.1 works fine.

7+ Year Old Account
    Just checked, you can still upgrade for free. If you're not having any issues, why bother. If you are concerned, just fucking do it.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    It's less urgent than if you're still running Windows 7 (iirc, we only have like a month left before support for Windows 7 gets dropped, while Windows 8.1 still has a few years), but honestly....I don't see why not. Windows 10 upgrades are still free, and the upgrade process itself isn't that painful.

Quote Originally Posted by VGAddict View Post
    I currently use Windows 8.1. Should I upgrade to Windows 10?
    yes there's zero reason to stay on 8.1, Windows 10 is plently stable on 1909, also you can upgrade for free still. just use their upgrade tool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Except, I have not had any issues with win. 8.1.
    That's like the same thing as saying you aren't getting your car in the shop for a massive recall. Or not getting a vaccine because you 'dont get sick often'. I know experts tell me to but I should be fine! (Yes, I know upgrading to Win 10 is not nearly as dire as either of those situations, but the analogy is there).

Just because you anecdotally haven't had issues with it doesn't mean its not bad.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    When I upgraded to Win10 back in time, it disabled guest login on Samba.
    Since we are using the PC for sharing lot of things at home, that is an issue why not upgraded.
    Maybe this is working now in Win10, not sure.

On the other hand Win8.1 is enough for me, not have any problem with it. Only downside is the lack of DX12.
    Some minor issue with Win10 UI, that may have been fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobor View Post
    Since we are using the PC for sharing lot of things at home, that is an issue why not upgraded.

On the other hand Win8.1 is enough for me, not have any problem with it. Only downside is the lack of DX12.
    that sounds more like you lost the SMB 1.0 support, because windows 10 has it off by default as its insecure. also because they disabled guest access on SMB2.0 and up by default as it was insecure. To re-enable here you go

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...nd-windows-ser
    Last edited by bloodykiller86; 2019-12-16 at 04:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's like the same thing as saying you aren't getting your car in the shop for a massive recall. Or not getting a vaccine because you 'dont get sick often'. I know experts tell me to but I should be fine! (Yes, I know upgrading to Win 10 is not nearly as dire as either of those situations, but the analogy is there).

Just because you anecdotally haven't had issues with it doesn't mean its not bad.
    Lol! Since you used a analogy, I will also.....I keep a vehicle for a long time. I still have my 1995 Toyota truck I brought brand new. I still runs fine and serves the purpose for which I want it for. Any operating system which serves the purpose you are wanting out of it, is never outdated. But like I keep repeating a important point, security updates are very important. So before Jan. 2023, I will be upgrading to Win.10. Ether this computer or with a new one.

By then, I may need a new computer anyway, since the one I have is already 6 years old. I will however, only need a new one if some program/game comes out ( before Jan. 2023 ) which mine will not meet the min requirements. Since I can only upgrade my CPU to a I7 4790, over it's present I7 4770. I have already upgraded the GPU twice and put in a new SSD and the original 1TB drive still functions fine and I will use it for games mainly. Not really worth upgrading anymore, unless I want to swap out the motherboard. Which is a possibility. That is a bridge I will cross when I reach it. For the present, my system more than meets what I want out of it.

So at this point, in what way is using Win. 8.1 bad when it performs and serves the purpose I want out of it for myself? You have not pointed out any specific reason which would apply to my situation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobor View Post

I have not noticed any downsides to that...yet. Just got the new video game, Red Dead Redemption 2. which has some awesome graphics and it plays smooth on my system on high/ultra settings using theVulkan API in it. From a lot of videos, reviews on it from players in that game, DX 12 only gives maybe a couple more fps. Of course DX 12 supports Ray Tracing and that may make a big difference with some future games.

There is no good reason to stay on Windows 8.1

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, under DX12 I meant for the new features like RTX and HDR support.