Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's just slow pixel response time. You can turn overdrive higher, may cause a different type of artifact if it's too harsh. Otherwise nothing you can truly do.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    That's just slow pixel response time. You can turn overdrive higher, may cause a different type of artifact if it's too harsh. Otherwise nothing you can truly do.
    Thank you. After reading up on Response Time it does indeed seem to be the cause. But setting high Overdrive seems to make it worse somehow.

So this would pretty much be due to simply being a VA panel then, would an IPS screen improve things? Also do you have any idea why it's unnoticeable in games?

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Thank you. After reading up on Response Time it does indeed seem to be the cause. But setting high Overdrive seems to make it worse somehow.

So this would pretty much be due to simply being a VA panel then, would an IPS screen improve things? Also do you have any idea why it's unnoticeable in games?
    Yes, VA panels are prone to this cause they have naturally slower response times.

For the money your monitor costs you should have gone for a IPS panel if movies/videos matter to you.

And you -probably- dont see it in games cause of the FPS, they run at the proper FPS and settings your monitor puts out, while the videos were not created properly, i am guesing they are the usual 25 fps videos etc.

Try running a higher fps video? There are a few 60 fps videos etc out there, see if it happens.

https://www.blurbusters.com/hfr-120f...ame-recording/ here, the testing one xD

Generally, if you have the money always go for some sort of newer IPS gaming panel for a combination of great gaming responsiveness and movies (Cause better colors).

If FPS games are your choice and generally gaming and movies secondary, then TN panel.

If you dont care you go for VA

At least thats the general logic i have absorbed from the internet while trying to decide on a monitor 1 month ago, took me 2 months.

Which is why i had to go for one of the best TN monitors in my budget and suck it up that the colors are a bit worst than my previous 60Hz 150$ IPS default monitor, cause i really cant afford the proper 700E+ monitors :<
    Last edited by potis; 2018-07-12 at 07:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Response time isn't uniform through all color transitions.
    IPS typically has better response time averages than VAs but it really depends screen to screen. It's really up to you, you're going to be losing static contrast going from VA to IPS but you'll get a better viewing angle and response time.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Yes, VA panels are prone to this cause they have naturally slower response times.

For the money your monitor costs you should have gone for a IPS panel if movies/videos matter to you.
    Sadly I had a quite specific list of features I wanted and this was the only monitor that had them all (32", 1440p, 144Hz & G-Sync). If I could find an IPS panel with these specs I'd have gone for that.

Sadly I had a quite specific list of features I wanted and this was the only monitor that had them all (32", 1440p, 144Hz & G-Sync). If I could find an IPS panel with these specs I'd have gone for that.
    I know the feeling dont worry.

That monitor doesnt exist yet cause the market is tiny for it afaik, they do exist for 60Hz and 75Hz so i think its a panel creation issue? Who knows

And i am pretty sure there is a LG monitor that fits your needs also.

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-32...gaming-monitor

Not curved though

10+ Year Old Account

And you -probably- dont see it in games cause of the FPS, they run at the proper FPS and settings your monitor puts out, while the videos were not created properly, i am guesing they are the usual 25 fps videos etc.
    That's not how videos works, and it's 24FPS (23.976 technically or 24/1.001). FPS will not translate in pixel response time because that has nothing to do with the pixel response time. It'll only matter for stuff like pull down if the FPS is not a multiple of itself. Even with the assumption of 24FPS video, there would be no pull down because the display is 144Hz.
    Generally, if you have the money always go for some sort of newer IPS gaming panel for a combination of great gaming responsiveness and movies (Cause better colors).
    IPS and TNs are worse for movies because of the lower contrast and movies and videos generally favor contrast. IPS don't have 'better' colors, just better viewing angle.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2018-07-12 at 07:41 PM.

That's not how videos works, and it's 24FPS (23.976 technically or 24/1.001). FPS will not translate in pixel response time because that has nothing to do with the pixel response time. It'll only matter for stuff like pull down if the FPS is not a multiple of itself. Even with the assumption of 24FPS video, there would be no pull down because the display is 144Hz.
    IPS and TNs are worse for movies because of the lower contrast and movies and videos generally favor contrast. IPS don't have 'better' colors, just better viewing angle.
    I do not know the specifics i am just mentioning there is a testing video to see if it was anything to do with that, monitor panels aint my forte :<

Then my eyes are broken.

TNs i understand it, they are simply shit for movies, but my eyes work better on IPS screens than VA, i simply cant afford an IPS 144hz one

Maybe because i view shit in the dark all the time, i never noticed any glow people mention, oh well, ips panels simply work better for my eyes.
    Last edited by potis; 2018-07-12 at 07:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, don't forget the IPS glow. Quite annoying in a dark environment, esp on movies that put black bars up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then my eyes are broken.
    I'll be a bit mean, but yes. General public has no idea what they're looking and will find something looks better on one thing than the other despite they actually are the same content when measured empirically. There's also an example people seeing white being portrayed. For example 6504k/D65 is the standard used for white point, though people tend to find 7000k or higher white point as 'white', despite it isn't and actually blueish.
    TNs i understand it, they are simply shit for movies, but my eyes work better on IPS screens than VA, i simply cant afford an IPS 144hz one
    Only reason it's worse than IPS is for off angle viewing color distortions. VAs are just better for movies because of contrast, period. Typical IPS type bar something like Eizo CG3145 are 1000:1 static and some more professional is 1500:1. VAs are 3000:1 static to 5000:1 static. Some more exceptional ones used on TVs can achieve up to 8000:1.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Also, don't forget the IPS glow. Quite annoying in a dark environment, esp on movies that put black bars up.
    That entirely depends on how far away you're viewing it from. If you're quite close with a big screen you'll notice it. Otherwise if you're like 3-4 meters away from the screen you're looking at back light bleed, which is the manufacturer being a failure.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2018-07-12 at 07:58 PM.

Yep definitely running at 144Hz, but there is no option for ULMB in the settings.

I'm using the DP cable that came with the monitor, it also has the same issues over HDMI.
    That option is set in the Nvidia control panel
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

I'll be a bit mean, but yes. General public has no idea what they're looking and will find something looks better on one thing than the other despite they actually are the same content when measured empirically. There's also an example people seeing white being portrayed. For example 6504k/D65 is the standard used for white point, though people tend to find 7000k or higher white point as 'white', despite it isn't and actually blueish.

Only reason it's worse is for off angle viewing color distortions. VAs are just better for movies because of contrast, period. Typical IPS type bar something like Eizo CG3145 are 1000:1 static and some more professional is 1500:1. VAs are 3000:1 static to 5000:1 static. Some more exceptional ones used on TVs can achieve up to 8000:1.
    Its not about mean, ever after the LASIK surgery certain light level/brightness affect my eyes more than others, VA panels look weird to me (Something does at least, bothers my eyes) than IPS panels and not for viewing angles, i dont know what it is, as i said my eyes are a bit different after the laser and they tend to prefer certain things that dont tire them out

It has something to do with brightness/white mostly as at night i tend to see huge white circles on every source of light that takes 3 seconds to shrink down to a more normal size, i dont even know if its a level of photophobia or not
    Last edited by potis; 2018-07-12 at 08:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its not about mean, ever after the LASIK surgery certain light level/brightness affect my eyes more than others, VA panels look weird to me (Something does at least, bothers my eyes) than IPS panels and not for viewing angles, i dont know what it is, as i said my eyes are a bit different after the laser and they tend to prefer certain things that dont tire them out

It has something to do with brightness/white mostly as at night i tend to see huge white circles on every source of light that takes 3 seconds to shrink down to a more normal size, i dont even know if its a level of photophobia or not
    Yeah, that sucks. I have no idea how it does for LASIK surgery stuff. It could be PWM though.

Yeah, that sucks. I have no idea how it does for LASIK surgery stuff. It could be PWM though.
    Its just some level of photophobia afaik, generally brighter screens tire my eyes out a lot or mostly bright white/yellow/red tbh while the dark/grey glow of the IPS is delicious.

10+ Year Old Account
    That entirely depends on how far away you're viewing it from. If you're quite close with a big screen you'll notice it. Otherwise if you're like 3-4 meters away from the screen you're looking at back light bleed, which is the manufacturer being a failure.
    Aye, the glow ist tech based and viewing angle dependent.

Main reason why I am still using my 8yr old 1080p 60Hz TN panel is because buying a panel today is such a ridonculous lottery, even when you are willing to spend a lot of cash. I'd love me some 32" 4K goodness. But man, the prospect of having to send back more than one is daunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    It's photosensitivity, not photophobia.
    Thats skin based allergic response o.O

Photosensitivity is a more logical word, but the actual medical term for eyes is photophobia

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    It's photosensitivity, not photophobia.
    This, I have the same thing. Bright objects in dark rooms or bright sunny days mean physical pain to me. That and my eyes take ages to adjust.
    A doc explained to me once that the pigmentation layer that usually covers the sensor cells in bright situations is not completely colored. Hence why I always wear toned lenses that get darker when exposed to UV.

I wonder what it would be like to get thrown a flashbang in a dark room on a HDR screen with 1000 nits. Your opponent might as well throw the real McCoy, I think.

I'm suddenly noticing it everywhere now, even on modern TVs. Is this just an unavoidable problem on all screens then? Is it even possible to have properly smooth video?

Do me a favour and watch the first 24 seconds of the video below. How it looks to me is the buildings scrolling by in the background are vibrating back and forth as they pass, and the motion in general looks really rough. Does it look the same to you? And what screen are you watching it on?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah the buildings do not scroll smoothly here instead they seem to stutter, aye.
    It's not a 60FPS video so, if it's 24FPS that's to be expected.

I don't get any shadows/ghosting though.
    8yr old TN Panel 1080p 60Hz - BenQ G2222HDL.

10+ Year Old Account

If you have no issues in games, there is one test I figured you could perform. Record a cutscene from game and then try watching it, if the picture looks different in recorded video than in the game, your monitor itself won't be at fault. If you need help setting up for the test let me know.

I have no issues with color reproduction on my BenQ, I chose my monitor specifically to have best color accuracy (for a TN panel).
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/...tm#calibration

- - - Updated - - -

I'm suddenly noticing it everywhere now, even on modern TVs. Is this just an unavoidable problem on all screens then? Is it even possible to have properly smooth video?

Do me a favour and watch the first 24 seconds of the video below. How it looks to me is the buildings scrolling by in the background are vibrating back and forth as they pass, and the motion in general looks really rough. Does it look the same to you? And what screen are you watching it on?

-snip-
    This has nothing to do with the monitor you are viewing it on, though I would like to test it and watch on my 400Hz TV, watching at work on 60Hz monitor, yes the buildings look choppy and jittery. But that's 'normal'. Is this your first 60Hz+ monitor? Your perspective changes once you go above it and get used to it
    PM me weird stuff :3