Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I mean realistically in this dystopic future when EU defense needs to sharply increase while the US considers us foes, we will need to build up a european defense complex and funnel our spending (and subsidize research) there.
    Yes, @Skroe has pointed that out a long time ago and I agree with him. We have a massive economic hammer, at some point we may need to reacquaint ourselves with the question on how much security you can simply... purchase.

But personally, I'd prefer if we kept going the soft power route. We're doing so much better relying on diplomacy than all of our military endeavours in the past 2000 years have done.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account

Germany was mainly a leisure and medical hub for the US
    Last edited by Themerlin; 2018-07-16 at 01:03 PM.
    “Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.”

Shalcker, by the time Russians started withdrawing from the Germany, Soviet Union was beggining to crumble like a card house. Do not seriously believe that in 1993/1994 Russia would have decided to suddenly stop the finish of the process and manage to stay.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Themerlin View Post
    Germany was mainly a leisure and medical hub for the US
    wtf r us troops even doing in russia and china? that map must be fake

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Themerlin View Post
    https://3.bp.blogspot.com/_x7xNgfhbbWo/TLxegWcfLTI/AAAAAAAAAxA/OT60sHnDmGY/s1600/bases444.jpg
    Well this is a hilarious image. Finland doesn't have "US troops" in the sense that this image is suggesting. There's no permanent US military presence in Finland. US troops do come over here to train sometimes, sure, although as far as I'm aware, that's very rare, and very small scale. But the image suggests that there are "troops" in Finland, as in based here permanently. That's bullshit.

Also, Russia? There are US troops in Russia?

This image is hilarious.

Having said that, of course what's even more hilarious is that the US has any troops based anywhere other than the US. That's the saddest thing of all. "Not an empire, not at all."

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Do they still count as US troops or are they now Russian troops in Germany?
    Considering that the US is only American in name these days, I'd say it's just a formality and you may as well refer to them as Russian troops in Germany.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Well this is a hilarious image. Finland doesn't have "US troops" in the sense that this image is suggesting. There's no permanent US military presence in Finland. US troops do come over here to train sometimes, sure, although as far as I'm aware, that's very rare, and very small scale. But the image suggests that there are "troops" in Finland, as in based here permanently. That's bullshit.

Also, Russia? There are US troops in Russia?

This image is hilarious.

Having said that, of course what's even more hilarious is that the US has any troops based anywhere other than the US. That's the saddest thing of all. "Not an empire, not at all."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_Security_Guard

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Well I guess that is one way to make those defense spendings and troop counts look more impressive.

Deleted
    lmfao... so in other words, every country has troops in every other country they have an embassy in, what a way to falsify statistics

Deleted
    Well, as far as I know, the US has no ambassador to Finland, and I can find no mention of any kind of military presence at the embassy. I would assume there's like two or three security guards there at most.

You can of course consider that "troops" if you like. Rambo, Commando and the third guy?