Beta Key Giveaway Week 3: Winners have been selected!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    The post I quoted said "when Germany starts getting aggressive again" and that the UK should be ready for that. When, not if. There are enough people on these very forums who make thinly veiled - or not veiled allusions to a German resurgence of sorts.
    As they should. Once we have subjugated the EU, as has clearly been our goal right from 1949 onwards, we'll ramp up military spending that'll make the US go green with envy and then we will burn everyone that does not follow our glorious leader (aka Führer in German) into the glorious battle against our ancient foe, Russia!

Or something like that. You gotta keep those Brits entertained. If you don't throw a bit of nazi megalomania in there, they drowse off.
    Don't confuse me with the US-Slant. I'm the EU-Slant. :P
    Due to unfavourable interactions with inexperienced moderators: Whatever I posted above is in no way meant to offend. Having said that, not having my sense of humour is entirely your problem, not mine. Stop being a baby. - This disclaimer was sponsored by "Infraction: 5 points for minor flaming."

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    We don't cross order very much, to be fair. The French do their thing most of the time, so do we. It's not healthy, but the EU defense thing may just change that.
    I mean realistically in this dystopic future when EU defense needs to sharply increase while the US considers us foes, we will need to build up a european defense complex and funnel our spending (and subsidize research) there.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I mean realistically in this dystopic future when EU defense needs to sharply increase while the US considers us foes, we will need to build up a european defense complex and funnel our spending (and subsidize research) there.
    Yes, @Skroe has pointed that out a long time ago and I agree with him. We have a massive economic hammer, at some point we may need to reacquaint ourselves with the question on how much security you can simply... purchase.

But personally, I'd prefer if we kept going the soft power route. We're doing so much better relying on diplomacy than all of our military endeavours in the past 2000 years have done.
    Due to unfavourable interactions with inexperienced moderators: Whatever I posted above is in no way meant to offend. Having said that, not having my sense of humour is entirely your problem, not mine. Stop being a baby. - This disclaimer was sponsored by "Infraction: 5 points for minor flaming."

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Yes, @Skroe has pointed that out a long time ago and I agree with him. We have a massive economic hammer, at some point we may need to reacquaint ourselves with the question on how much security you can simply... purchase.

But personally, I'd prefer if we kept going the soft power route. We're doing so much better relying on diplomacy than all of our military endeavours in the past 2000 years have done.
    As I have said numerous times, if you craft a hammer, you will inevitably seek nails. If the US forces the EU to expend resources on military power, they will need to realize that will mean the EU will USE that power and possibly interfere with them. right now they have a financial ally that they can mostly ignore when it comes to military geopolitics because we barely act. The alternative is adding more actors at the table. And even if allies, new actors means everything is reshuffled and every plan needs to be reconsidered so it does not blow up in everyone's face.

Germany was mainly a leisure and medical hub for the US
    Last edited by Themerlin; 2018-07-16 at 01:03 PM.
    “Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.”

Shalcker, by the time Russians started withdrawing from the Germany, Soviet Union was beggining to crumble like a card house. Do not seriously believe that in 1993/1994 Russia would have decided to suddenly stop the finish of the process and manage to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Themerlin View Post
    Germany was mainly a leisure and medical hub for the US
    wtf r us troops even doing in russia and china? that map must be fake

The Insane
    Quote Originally Posted by Themerlin View Post
    https://3.bp.blogspot.com/_x7xNgfhbbWo/TLxegWcfLTI/AAAAAAAAAxA/OT60sHnDmGY/s1600/bases444.jpg
    Well this is a hilarious image. Finland doesn't have "US troops" in the sense that this image is suggesting. There's no permanent US military presence in Finland. US troops do come over here to train sometimes, sure, although as far as I'm aware, that's very rare, and very small scale. But the image suggests that there are "troops" in Finland, as in based here permanently. That's bullshit.

Also, Russia? There are US troops in Russia?

This image is hilarious.

Having said that, of course what's even more hilarious is that the US has any troops based anywhere other than the US. That's the saddest thing of all. "Not an empire, not at all."
    things worked out better than we had planned • now everything's ruined, yeah

Do they still count as US troops or are they now Russian troops in Germany?

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Do they still count as US troops or are they now Russian troops in Germany?
    Considering that the US is only American in name these days, I'd say it's just a formality and you may as well refer to them as Russian troops in Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Well this is a hilarious image. Finland doesn't have "US troops" in the sense that this image is suggesting. There's no permanent US military presence in Finland. US troops do come over here to train sometimes, sure, although as far as I'm aware, that's very rare, and very small scale. But the image suggests that there are "troops" in Finland, as in based here permanently. That's bullshit.

Also, Russia? There are US troops in Russia?

This image is hilarious.

Having said that, of course what's even more hilarious is that the US has any troops based anywhere other than the US. That's the saddest thing of all. "Not an empire, not at all."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_Security_Guard

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Well I guess that is one way to make those defense spendings and troop counts look more impressive.

lmfao... so in other words, every country has troops in every other country they have an embassy in, what a way to falsify statistics

The Insane
    Well, as far as I know, the US has no ambassador to Finland, and I can find no mention of any kind of military presence at the embassy. I would assume there's like two or three security guards there at most.

You can of course consider that "troops" if you like. Rambo, Commando and the third guy?
    things worked out better than we had planned • now everything's ruined, yeah