Page 1 of 27
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Papa Johns Blames Cheesy Sales On NFL

Papa John's blames NFL leadership for lackluster pizza sales as shares sink more than 11%

• Papa John's said the league and its leadership "hurt" the company by not resolving the player protests that have been taking place during the National Anthem.
    • The company said the combination of declining NFL viewership and negative consumer sentiment associated with the league caused sales in the third quarter to slump.
    • Papa John's has been the official pizza sponsor of the NFL since 2010.

Papa John himself slammed NFL leadership on Wednesday, blaming the organization for lackluster sales at his pizza restaurants in the third quarter.

John Schnatter, the founder and CEO of Papa John's, said the league and its leadership "hurt" the company by not resolving the player protests that have been taking place during the National Anthem.

"The NFL has been a long and valued partner over the years, but we are certainly disappointed that NFL and its leadership did not resolve the ongoing situation to the satisfaction of all parties," Schnatter said during an earnings call Wednesday. "This should have been nipped in the bud a year and a half ago."

Papa John's, which has been the official pizza of the NFL since 2010, said the combination of declining NFL viewership and negative consumer sentiment associated with the league caused sales in the third quarter to slump.

Shares of the pizza chain fell more than 11 percent on Wednesday.

"The NFL has hurt us and, more importantly, by not resolving the current debacle to the [players' and owners'] satisfaction, NFL leadership has hurt Papa John's," Schnatter said.

"Leadership starts at the top, and this is an example of poor leadership," he said.

In North America, same-store sales grew 1 percent, falling short of analyst expectations of a 1.4 percent rise, according to Street Account. And the company expects this trend to continue into the next quarter.

"The NFL situation has persisted in the pressure that it's applying to our sales that has bled into the start of the fourth quarter," Steve Ritchie, chief operating officer, said during the conference call.

Ritchie also blamed the competitive restaurant environment and temporary store closures caused by hurricanes for weak sales.

"Like Subway in recent years, Papa John's has invested in athletes to market their products," Darren Tristano, a food-service trend expert, told CNBC via email. "When athletes are at the top of their game, these investments can pay off with sales growth but when you invest in retiring players like Peyton Manning and injured players like J.J. Watt to endorse your brand, the impact can be lessened. With team parity in the NFL, ratings have fallen and marketing has become less effective for brands associating with the league."

However, "The results wouldn't suggest cutting ties with the NFL," Tristano said.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/01/papa...zza-sales.html

Looks like Papa Johns is a little low on dough, claiming that NFL protests took a slice out of their profits.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    crap pizza is crap

not to mention "Papa John" is a huge douche canoe regardless.

Papa John's has been taking a dive because it sucks.
    More and more Americans are moving more towards local eateries which provide better ingredients and better pizza.
    The average soy boy is a feminist, nonathletic, has never been in a fight, will probably marry the first girl that has sex with him, and likely reduces all his arguments to labeling the opposition as "Nazis".

I like their pizza, but haven't bought it in a while because I moved away from their restaurants.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its a terrible business with a terrible product and terrible owner, I'd eat one of those lunchable pizzas before papa johns.

Stop hating. Papa Johns pizza can't be topped.

Cheaply or properly.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Quote Originally Posted by SoyBoy View Post
    Papa John's has been taking a dive because it sucks.
    More and more Americans are moving more towards local eateries which provide better ingredients and better pizza.
    We used to order out Papa Johns where I am, because it was the only pizza place nearby. The only other was a local one, that has been involved in credit card details being "leaked" and some fraud taking place.

Where I am, most local places cost twice as much for pizza, if not more. The only one I'm a fan of is a family-run Italian place near where I work.

We had a Domino's open here though and it has been incredible customer service both in the shop and from delivery crew. The pizzas remain a great quality, and during off season(sports deals) it is cheaper than Papa Johns.

I wouldn't blame the NFL on bad sales.
    I'm not into sports at all, but utilized Papa Johns sports deals and discounts all the time when I attended University.

It was a good way to get super cheap pizza for myself and roommates. Though the quality between it during Uni and now, feels a bit drastic. But that could all come down to the store itself, as it is not the same store since moving elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Looks like Papa Johns is a little low on dough, claiming that NFL protests took a slice out of their profits.
    Sad attempt by the ultra-conservative company, Papa John's, to leverage the NFL to get their Republican way.

Also as pointed out already in this thread, they make shitty pizza and treat their employees worse than dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sormine View Post
    Sad attempt by the ultra-conservative company, Papa John's, to leverage the NFL to get their Republican way.

Also as pointed out already in this thread, they make shitty pizza and treat their employees worse than dogs.
    How are the ultra conservative?
    He is wrong about his situation but there are other adviertisers getting because of their support of the knee bender nonsense.
    The average soy boy is a feminist, nonathletic, has never been in a fight, will probably marry the first girl that has sex with him, and likely reduces all his arguments to labeling the opposition as "Nazis".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    The price is a big thing too. A $2.75 delivery fee (that doesn't go to the driver) the larges are 13 bucks without a coupon. Lower the price a tad and watch sales go up.
    but to lower the price, that would require the CEO not be a douche canoe

I'd rather have pizza hutt if I'm going for a quick chain pizza. Otherwise I'll drive myself to a local small chain.

The only thing I really like at papa johns is the way they do their breadsticks, which isn't enough for me to actually order their pizza.

If I wanted cheap pizza I'd just get little ceasars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

I always thought Papa Johns was the most flavorless of all the national brands.

Other than that, local pizzerias are also really easy to find nowadays. Personally, there are 5 within a mile of my house and they are all better than delivery

He is wrong about his situation but there are other adviertisers getting because of their support of the knee bender nonsense.
    The CEO is an ultra conservative. Gives to conservative causes, supports trump, blames anyone but himself for his business' shares shrinking 11%. Typical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Watching people come out of the woodwork to bash papa Johns in pretty hilarious.

Papa johns > dominos > little ceasars > Pizza Hut

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    The CEO is an ultra conservative. Gives to conservative causes, supports trump, blames anyone but himself for his business' shares shrinking 11%. Typical.
    Sounds like he's pretty level headed to me. Maybe I'll start supporting his business.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    Watching people come out of the woodwork to bash papa Johns in pretty hilarious.

All are chains. Only pleebs eat there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post

local places > all of those

The founder of Papa John's is beyond the epitome of your typical Republican "business" owner.

10+ Year Old Account
    and I don't mind conservative business people. Its when they blame their failings on the other side that it gets ridiculous, which is papa john tends to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably different in the US but have to say Papa John's near me is 100% the worst pizza I've ever eaten

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    local places > all of those
    Ehh, for the ~20 bucks those pizzas cost i could make 3 at home, just as fast, just as good.
    READ and be less Ignorant.