Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Patch 8.0.1 - War of Thorns Quest Chain

Patch 8.0.1 - War of Thorns Quest Chain
    Spoilers ahead! The War of Thorns is the quest chain that leads up to the Burning of Teldrassil. This content may be broken up into multiple weeks.

• The War of Thorns is a set of faction specific story quest lines that showcase the events leading up to the Burning of Teldrassil.
    • Sylvanas believes the key to the Horde’s survival is making sure that they gain as much Azerite as possible and keep it from the Alliance.
    • She wants to occupy Darnassus so they can’t use it as a hub to transport Azerite. The Night Elf army is currently in Silithus and so she wants to use this time to strike before they return.
    • If you are Alliance you will first be sent to Astranaar to defend it from Horde assassins. If you are Horde you are sent there to assassinate guards with the blood elf rogue Lorash.
    • The Horde is held back from advancing into Darkshore as Malfurion calls upon the wisps to create a wall.
    • Sylvanas theorizes that the wisps can be distracted by causing chaos in the forest. This allows the Horde to push through the barrier.
    • Sylvanas also has Saurfang take some troops and scale the mountains of Felwood to attack from the North.
    • Both factions fight for control at strategic points involving dealing with crazed furbolgs and fighting each other.
    • The Alliance and Horde then fight for control of the Azerite near the shoreline.
    • Sylvanas confronts Malfurion but he blinds her and flees There is then a stalemate at Wildbend River between the Darnassian forces and Horde army.
    • Both factions unlock the world quests in Darkshore after completing the quest chain up to this point. These world quests provide catch up gear, order hall resources, and gold.

• The Alliance heads to Darnassus to rally what little troops they have.
    • The Horde reunites with Saurfang in Lor’danel after the wisp wall is taken out.
    • The Horde takes out Alliance troops and Saurfang wants to spare as many civilians as possible.
    • Finally, both factions’ player characters approach Malfurion who is confronting Sylvanas directly. It looks like he has the upper hand until Saurfang strikes a blow from behind. The orc realizes what he did was not honorable, but Sylvanas tries to convince him otherwise. She leaves him to kill Malfurion and heads to Darnassus.
    • Tyrande flies in to rescue her husband and Saurfang says he doesn’t deserve to kill him as he struck without honor. She aims her bow at him, saying she will kill him if he tries to stop her from saving Malfurion, to which he tells her to take him and get far away from Darnassus.
    • She does so and leaves the Alliance character to go make sure the occupation of the city is tolerable. Meanwhile, Horde characters head back to the conquered Lor’danel.
    • There is a missing cutscene before Darnassus is in flames and the tree is burning. Horde characters talk to Sylvanas on the Darkshore coast who says she didn’t anticipate this, but it will cause the Alliance to retaliate.
    • Meanwhile, Alliance players head to Darnassus to help Mia Greymane, Genn’s wife, with the evacuation. Greymane comes through a Stormwind Portal to convince his wife to leave with as many as possible.
    • In the end, Alliance players return to Stormwind and Anduin confirms that peace can never be achieved with Sylvanas as warchief.
    • Alliance players are rewarded with the Smoldering Reins of the Teldrassil Hippogryph while the Horde receives the War-Torn Reins of the Undercity Plaguebat.

Horde

Alliance

Burning of Teldrassil Aftermath Updates
    After the events of the Burning of Teldrassil, Darkshore has received a new sky box and a red tint with ash in the sky. Gilnean and Darnassian refuges are now found on the dock of Stormwind Harbor that previously had the ship which sailed to Darnassus. There is now a portal to Darkshore here and a boat to Boralus has taken the spot.

Last edited by chaud; 2018-07-16 at 04:29 PM.

Deleted
    Poggers guys

Deleted
    I'm early for once.

Man.....this looks rough. I remember beginning my journey all those years ago in Teldrassil, can't believe it's really happening. Though perhaps it's time to resub, atleast to experience this firsthand.
    Last edited by Dovashy; 2018-07-16 at 05:14 AM.

Tyrande not screaming "Malfurion ! My luv' !" is suspicious. Must be a Void Lord.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Being bad is the first step to gittin gud, before anyone was gud, they were bad. Not everyone is as equally skilled at the start but everyone can learn to git gud. - Ythisens
    Tofinish list : NOTHING CAUSE I FINALLY DID IT.
    Todo list : S;G0, New Game, Erased.

that dam missing cut scene....
    who started the fire?

Geez, at the end of the Alliance version, even with the burning of Teldrassil Anduin commits to nothing more than removing Sylvanas as Warchief.

Okay, dude, you can have her, I don't want her.

10+ Year Old Account
    "...Sylvanas confronts Malfurion but he blinds her and flees..."

Malfurion could crush her like a bug. I hate scenarios that rely on someone doing illogical crap. "I could kill their warchief who's attacking us but... nah, let's let her live. I'm sure that will work out..."

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    The War of Thorns is the quest chain that leads up to the Burning of Burning of Teldrassil.
    I've heard of the old phrase, "Fight Fire with Fire", but I don't think we are to take it literally.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post

Malfurion could crush her like a bug. I hate scenarios that rely on someone doing illogical crap. "I could kill their warchief who's attacking us but... nah, let's let her live. I'm sure that will work out..."
    She got a secret power called "huge amount of fan with necrophilia ".

Deleted
    I don't care if Sylvanas is crazy or if Malfurion is whining all the time ... I don't care who is supposed to be good or bad or grey or whatever ... but burning down that tree where I spent a lot of my vanilla time makes me sad.

Picking up corpses in Auberdine already was quite hard but this is even worse. It doesn't matter to me why or who did it. I'm just sad

Can't wait. Are there in game marshmallows?

7+ Year Old Account
    I love the direction the plot is moving with this whole questline. Really looking forward to experiencing it!

"There is a missing cutscene before Darnassus is in flames and the tree is burning. Horde characters talk to Sylvanas on the Darkshore coast who says she didn’t anticipate this, but it will cause the Alliance to retaliate."

What kind of rubbish is this?

Seriously, writers thought the Alliance would not retaliate if the tree hadn't burned, but Sylvanas' attempt at taking over Darnassus wouldn't?

Blizzard writting, boys!

7+ Year Old Account
    "In the end, Alliance players return to Stormwind and Anduin confirms that peace can never be achieved with Sylvanas as warchief."

BS! The same thing goes for the alliance when you have Greymane!

Quote Originally Posted by Elgaz View Post
    I don't care if Sylvanas is crazy or if Malfurion is whining all the time ... I don't care who is supposed to be good or bad or grey or whatever ... but burning down that tree where I spent a lot of my vanilla time makes me sad.

Picking up corpses in Auberdine already was quite hard but this is even worse. It doesn't matter to me why or who did it. I'm just sad
    this actually made me sad. if theres any consolation, i'll let you know that this are different times in WOW.. Alliance WILL rekt Horde one way or another. Meanwhile, I'll offer you a big hug.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiria View Post
    "There is a missing cutscene before Darnassus is in flames and the tree is burning. Horde characters talk to Sylvanas on the Darkshore coast who says she didn’t anticipate this, but it will cause the Alliance to retaliate."

What kind of rubbish is this?

Seriously, writers thought the Alliance would not retaliate if the tree hadn't burned, but Sylvanas' attempt at taking over Darnassus wouldn't?

Blizzard writting, boys!
    If she could had taken the whole city hostage, she would had the leverage against the angry Alliance. If the city is destroyed, she would only have angry Alliance without any hostage to leverage.

With all the refugees in Stormwind, the Alliance really needs to decentralize their seat of power. Feels like such a waste to have Ironforge just collecting dust when it is such a brilliantly designed city.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post

Yeah I don't understand he could literally leave a smoking crater where she stand if he wanted to.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elgaz View Post

I never got over Auberdine and now I lose the one place I felt at peace at