Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Did I miss something... are we not getting new mage abilities?

I was looking over some of the changes, like returning the ability to decurse and provide arcane intellect... lots of tweaks to what is already there but... don't we usually get entirely new abilities with each expansion?

I was hoping for something more inspired. Like my mass teleport idea, or one of those arcane bubbles that physically knock enemies back that try to cross while active that was shown in legion (but of course not given to arcane mages).

Or how about giving frost mages an iceman like sled to run people down or get away from others, or a spell that gives enemies frostbite so that them moving and attacking you causes them to be damaged?

don't care about fire, others can imagine for better there, but is this really it? Is more stuff coming later? or will there be an entire 2 year gap for potential new abilities for some future expansion after battle for azeroth?

To be fair most of the new abilities they add are terrible.

I'm alright with this, reduces bloat and ability creep.

Constantly adding new abilities is how we got to a point where melee had 8 gap closers and ranged had 8 escapes a few years ago.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm happy we are getting back Arcane Intellect and Remove Curse. Arcane Intellect in particular always felt like such a staple Mage spell for me. Back when I was raiding I think I was the only Mage in my raid group who had the Dalaran version of the spell, and I would spend stacks and stacks of dust just replace the regular version when someone else would cast it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tablemaker
    Yeah. It's funny how they reverse the whole thing. The fact of the matter is... if a customer created a scene in real life like they are in the forums, they would be removed from the store. No ifs, ands or buts about it.

Example: GC works at McDonalds. Some idiots walks up to the counter and asks for a Whopper. GC tells him they do not sell Whoppers. The idiot flips a nut. Calls GC off and throws straws at him. GC asks him to leave.

10+ Year Old Account
    What do you need more abilities for?

Quote Originally Posted by TLH View Post
    is this really it? Is more stuff coming later? or will there be an entire 2 year gap for potential new abilities for some future expansion after battle for azeroth?
    yes, sadly - this is how expansions work now

Quote Originally Posted by Delijica View Post
    I'm happy we are getting back Arcane Intellect and Remove Curse. Arcane Intellect in particular always felt like such a staple Mage spell for me. Back when I was raiding I think I was the only Mage in my raid group who had the Dalaran version of the spell, and I would spend stacks and stacks of dust just replace the regular version when someone else would cast it.
    I did that TOO.... I hope they give us back the option for it.

Quote Originally Posted by TLH View Post
    I was looking over some of the changes, like returning the ability to decurse and provide arcane intellect... lots of tweaks to what is already there but... don't we usually get entirely new abilities with each expansion?
    Their revamps are usually every 2 expansions it seems like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delijica View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsgrace View Post
    I did that TOO.... I hope they give us back the option for it.
    I'm glad I'm not the only person that did this lol.

Just what frost needs more control over other players and another blink, brilliant.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    Just what frost needs more control over other players and another blink, brilliant.
    because shimmer and frigid winds absolutely did not exist throughout legion, they are new and exciting bfa talents

Boy, isn't it fun gaining no new effects, just losing four talents and getting 4 effects formerly usable with the talent tree shoved in? Fire mage is totally improved.

*shrug* Legion mage was pretty much fine all specs. I wish they'd added a little more complexity to arcane but that's about it--fire and frost were fine. No need to add abilities just to add abilities.

That said, I wish they didn't add decurse back. I was so happy when that was gone. I'm not a healer for christ's sake.

Remembering the disappointment lvl 100 talents were in WoD, I'd say Pass on anything new to Mages, Frost and Fire are exquisite.

Quote Originally Posted by Krohgar View Post

That said, I wish they didn't add decurse back. I was so happy when that was gone. I'm not a healer for christ's sake.
    And you know they're gonna add a bunch of curses to m+ and raids now that mages have decurse.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only person that did this lol.
    Same here lol. Seems we where not alone in our buff fetishes lol

Quote Originally Posted by CptEgo View Post
    What do you need more abilities for?
    The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.

I still like new toys to play with. Though I think I could live with some non dps/pvp visual effect improvements. I still want a non combat ability to mass teleport like antonidas from warcraft III.

Although I still think using it in battlegrounds on some of those maps where you can see far off would be cool as hell. See the enemy heading towards a base on that burning crusade era battleground to hold it and switch it to their side but your guys are too far away, the mage casts the mass teleport spell targeting that base for where the enemies are headed, a circle of swirling energies form around the mage with some sort of magic circle on the ground telegraphing where allies should stand, any any that are there upon completion of the cast are whisked to the target location, and now there is an actual fight to be had to take the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzeeyooo View Post
    because shimmer and frigid winds absolutely did not exist throughout legion, they are new and exciting bfa talents
    Shimmer alters blink at the cost of giving up the ability to break snares. This iceman nonsense even if it was a change to blink ends up also controlling even more mobs which isn't something mages need at all or should have any more of.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

you're a mage you got decurse+arcane int, thats 100% raid spot if you're not trash, what more do you need?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnanator View Post
    Same here lol. Seems we where not alone in our buff fetishes lol
    I would also resheep a mob to a non sheep too if I saw one lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    Shimmer alters blink at the cost of giving up the ability to break snares. This iceman nonsense even if it was a change to blink ends up also controlling even more mobs which isn't something mages need at all or should have any more of.
    It's probably overpowered, but I'm a mage advocate, and always seek to increase out power.

My sense of what a mages power ought to be is based on games like baldurs gate 2 / the original dragon age. Basically demigods.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    you're a mage you got decurse+arcane int, thats 100% raid spot if you're not trash, what more do you need?
    Yeah boy that sounds fun, but glad I got that raid spot. I'd rather have something fun than a raid spot, I can get that anyways.