Thread: New world map

New world map

Hi,

Have you noticed they shrunk Kalimdor / Easter Kingdoms on new map, in comparison to new(er) expansion zones?
    For example Northrend suddenly the size of Kalimdor (approx) and it's smaller on live map.
    And just thinking about it, Kalimdor feels huge, flying from one end to another takes forever, while Northrend - not so much.
    I wonder if it's just some weird perception from my part, and in reality they really are ~the same size, or wtf is going on here...
    Any input peeps?
    Maybe they were the same size in comparison in the past as well... such a small update, yet so confusing
    They did however moved Kalimdor further away from Easter Kingdoms for sure. But I guess there was no other way to fit everything.
    Last edited by Tokas; 2018-07-17 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokas View Post
    Hi,

Have you noticed they shrunk Kalimdor / Easter Kingdoms on new map, in comparison to new(er) expansion zones?
    For example Northrend suddenly the size of Kalimdor (approx) and it's smaller on live map.
    And just thinking about it, Kalimdor feels huge, flying from one end to another takes forever, while Northrend - not so much.
    I wonder if it's just some weird perception from my part, and in reality they really are ~the same size, or wtf is going on here...
    Any input peeps?
    Maybe they were the same size in comparison in the past as well... such a small update, yet so confusing
    They did however moved Kalimdor further away from Easter Kingdoms for sure. But I guess there was no other way to fit everything.
    I suggest you fly from borean tundra to howling fjord. Northrend is huge.

15+ Year Old Account
    Nothing is really to proper scale on the world map, or in-game for that matter. The world map is closer to representing how big the zones are in-game, which is why the Broken Isles, Kul Tiras, and Zandalar are scaled to the size of continents, even though they're technically supposed to be smaller.

And even then, what you get in-game is "abbreviated" to facilitate gameplay, exaggerating major landmarks and ommiting miles and miles of unnecessary terrain; the novels always have days long journeys through all these forests and farmlands that only take five minutes to cross in-game.

This is the true scale of the islands and continents in the lore: