Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I'm pretty sure their working definition of "classic" doesn't reach to how they will manage the in-game community. Or lack of it.
    It kind of should... or at least I feel it should. You can't create the kind of communities mmos used to have without assholes. It's that little extra spice that makes the dish.

It's something a lot of games are doing wrong these days. You must had over control to the players. Mute exists for those who wish to use it but for the rest... well the world is theirs to do as they please with.

At the very least it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutrition View Post
    It kind of should... or at least I feel it should. You can't create the kind of communities mmos used to have without assholes. It's that little extra spice that makes the dish.

It's something a lot of games are doing wrong these days. You must had over control to the players. Mute exists for those who wish to use it but for the rest... well the world is theirs to do as they please with.

I have seen on pirate servers what happens when you leave the vanilla community without moderation. No thanks, there are children playing these games and they don't have to be subjected to some angry failed middle aged man spewing nazi propaganda and hate speech. If anything the classic community need more moderation than retail does.

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    I have seen on pirate servers what happens when you leave the vanilla community without moderation. No thanks, there are children playing these games and they don't have to be subjected to some angry failed middle aged man spewing nazi propaganda and hate speech. If anything the classic community need more moderation than retail does.

Its rated T for teen chap... and I know this will scare you but most kids can grasp the basic concept of what a nazi was.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Something to think on. Blizzard has gotten a lot more draconian over the years over what you can and can't say in game. Will this carry over to classic or will it have the more laid back moderation like original wow had?
    What the fuck are you talking about? In Vanilla WoW you'd get warned or banned if you said something as simple as "shit" in public chat. Shit in BC we had a guy get banned for 24 hours because of something he said IN GUILD CHAT which is a private chat. Now you can talk politics and say some pretty horrible things in public channels without much issue.

Something to think on. Blizzard has gotten a lot more draconian over the years over what you can and can't say in game. Will this carry over to classic or will it have the more laid back moderation like original wow had?
    Being based on the current client with modern technology on the back end, they will be capable of doing moderation in much the same way.

Classic isn't being added to re create the community of the past. Its fan service for people who want to play with a classic feeling game. Being classic servers isn't an excuse to be a dickhead.

ITT: People who have been dropping n-bombs and talking like its /b/ on private servers and are readying their neckbeard, anime styled, pitchforks.

Do you mean the report system? Yeah, I am pretty sure they are not going to put the old vanilla "call a gm" system into the game. Social stuff/interactions with Blizzard will just use the new client.

(In other news, they will also not use the vanilla cheat detection)
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    Classic isn't being added to re create the community of the past. Its fan service for people who want to play with a classic feeling game. Being classic servers isn't an excuse to be a dickhead.
    I don't know if you can being part of a community means that not everyone is the same. The world needs its villains.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    That's fine as long as "encouraging" doesn't turn into forcing you to speak in specific way so you are understood as "funny", if your aim is to be funny.
    I agree, but understand that not everyone shares the same forms of humor, and people can easily be offended these days. Just like Vanilla and Now, I expect people to have the report function, and Blizzard can't change the fact that acceptable behavior in society has changed over the last 12-14 years.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

I don't know if you can being part of a community means that not everyone is the same. The world needs its villains.
    And then the world gets heroes to shut them up, be and a-hole and you might get something shoved in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaelexi View Post
    And then the world gets heroes to shut them up, be and a-hole and you might get something shoved in it.
    Yes it does make for a nice cat and mouse game doesn't? Each server having it's own personality, rivals, and almost it's own story. Sounds more fun then a sertilzed world does it not?

Yes it does make for a nice cat and mouse game doesn't? Each server having it's own personality, rivals, and almost it's own story. Sounds more fun then a sertilzed world does it not?
    In this case the hero is Blizzard and the stab in the side is a ban hammer. Thus removing the cancerous cells.

In this case the hero is Blizzard and the stab in the side is a ban hammer. Thus removing the cancerous cells.
    Yes...the cancerous cells the unhealthy ones that came in later and started changing things to their liking without thought or regard to what was there originally.... that is a startling honest projection...

Well that's a good thing though isn't it? If you can't follow the rules you can't play the game, just like you can't jizz in the sauce at McDonalds and expect to keep your job.

On the other hand most of their reporting and punishment systems are fully automatic now, while back then GMs actually did stuff in-game. Will they use the GM island again?

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    On the other hand most of their reporting and punishment systems are fully automatic now, while back then GMs actually did stuff in-game. Will they use the GM island again?
    Back in the day GM had to do things as there was not the ability to reset encounters remotely, watch the game remotely with out being present, etc. I remember during some of our attempts on C'thun prefix, we had a GM watching the fight from on top of the stairs at the back of the room. Also at one point we bugged out a boss in ZG and the GM came and picked up the boss and moved it back to the reset point. One of our locks casted corruption on him and before the first tick the GM death touched him and he had to run back, he was not able to be resed. Now they can do all of this and see the fight in log format real time.