Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ...
    *Names several*

*Goalposts get shifted over what a "multicultural society" is*

Oh look it's from RT, what do you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Uh... the United States? Where people from every part of the world live together?

Frankly Europe should be looking into what the United States has done, seeing as Europe seems unable to do it by themselves.
    most of america was bound by the "grand destiny narrative" out of which came the notion of being american, american values and yes american culture. america is on the whole split into 3 main cultures, middle america culture, poor white and poor black culture. it has had spates of "other cultures" come en mass over its history and form enclaves, those have been usualy met with hostility and anger like the Irish were but are eventually consumed into the host culture.

multiculturalism is the specific attempt to preserve a foreign culture or many cultures inside a nation, in essence to avoid integration entirely.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    There is a distinction between the person and the office, and the person of Donald Trump deserves no respect. At all.
    why didn't you run for president then ?

Quote Originally Posted by Laozi View Post
    most of america was bound by the "grand destiny narrative" out of which came the notion of being american, american values and yes american culture. america is on the whole split into 3 main cultures, middle america culture, poor white and poor black culture. it has had spates of "other cultures" come en mass over its history and form enclaves, those have been usualy met with hostility and anger like the Irish were but are eventually consumed into the host culture.
    You’re absolutely correct, though it is worth noting the grand destiny narrative didn’t go unopposed by either the new immigrants or those who preceded them. Americans are no more immune to the tribal impulses that evolved out of the last ice age than anyone else. This is evidenced by the pattern of ethnic enclaves which are established near point of arrival, and the flight of the previous occupants of these areas as the new arrivals become established.

Two things in particular have helped the US overcome these problems.

1, the 1st Amendment to the US Constitution and in particular the establishment clause. No more noble thing was ever born out of such hard necessity. It’s easy to imagine the founders as a bunch of homogenous,white, Christian men, but in the context of their time they were incredibly diverse. The difference between an Anglican, a Calvinist, a Quaker, and a Catholic were very apparent and mattered deeply. These men realized they had zero chance of forming a unified nation if the government were able to pick winners and losers with regard to personal expression and faith. By restricting the ability of government to pass laws that either oppress or pander to people of a particular sect, you create a culture where tribal differences are a matter of personal taste, not public policy. This in turn creates the sense among the people they’ve greater freedom to express their personal beliefs by obeying the law and staying off their neigbor’s lawn than doing otherwise.

This stands in stark contrast to Europe which swings from establishing separate legal codes to pander to certain minority’s cultural practices to banning things like head scarves depending on who holds political sway at the time.

2. (This one is shorter). The US is enormous, and economic factors make our population very mobile. This disperses people away from their enclaves lessening the influence of their respective tribes, creating a steady march to a more unified culture.

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    It's more than European countries, the principle applies to all countries. Assimilation is a huge part of immigration, and that fact either gets glossed over or ignored nowadays. If you lack the assimilation process (by outright not having it or not enough time), you'll likely get factional warfare or social discord at the very least. For centuries many countries have understood and practiced assimilation at various levels, even the US mostly shut down immigration in the mid-1900's for decades to allow such assimilation.
    First of all, "factional warfare"? A little high on drama and a little low on reality.

The US did not shut down immigration in the mid 1900s. There are certainly restrictions put in place around that time but the real reason was the depression and WW2.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyWolf View Post
    Clearly you are out of arguments. But i lived worked and even befriended Turks. But im not some left win ideologist like you that cannot handle facts
    Is this your " I have a black friend defense", your "facts" are just a load of bull and contradict each other you need to pick a stance on what you believe in clearly you don't believe in judging people on a individual basis otherwise your past statements were just lies. You need to decide which you is telling the "facts" can't help you there, then again you are a Trump supporter facts, reality are not something you believe in only the Donald.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    That is no excuse for disrespecting him as the President of the U.S. You can disagree and hate what his policies are and actively protest against them. But some have crossed the line in my opinion. Same as some who opposed Obama.
    You have to earn respect it's not given to anyone.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    That is no excuse for disrespecting him as the President of the U.S. You can disagree and hate what his policies are and actively protest against them. But some have crossed the line in my opinion. Same as some who opposed Obama.
    This is a bit of semantics, but I prefer to make a distinction between respect and courtesy. I offer former President Obama the courtesy of referring to him with his title, despite being ideologically opposed to him because the dignity of the office he held deserves it. I do the same for President Trump. Respect on the other hand is something I offer sparingly, as it must be earned.