Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Identity politics, case number who knows

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/enterta...er-movie-role/

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...-trans-casting

No, this thread is not aimed at transgender people specifically. Rather at the folly of the claim that Character A should be played by people who fit into that box.

Did all the non-normative parts played throughout the years by normative actors escape the critics?

Oh yea, what is the fuss? To be reductive: Scarlet Johansson was set to play the role of a transgender man. Later, she dropped out, supposedly or partially due to the outrage this sparked.

People who are offended by everything can not and should not be taken seriously.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Agree, Grim. If only trans/gay people can play trans/gay people, I guess the opposite should also hold true by the logic of the people complaining about Scarlet Johansen's role (which she now dropped).
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel bad for Scarlet Johansson, she really should fire her agent.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post

No, this thread is not aimed at transgender people specifically. Rather at the folly of the claim that Character A should be played by people who fit into that box.

Did all the non-normative parts played throughout the years by normative actors escape the critics?

Oh yea, what is the fuss? To be reductive: Scarlet Johansson was set to play the role of a transgender man. Later, she dropped out, supposedly or partially due to the outrage this sparked.
    I read that the Black Widow stand alone movie is set to go and Marvel/Disney told her she had to drop this tranny role due to the irrational negative backlash it was receiving as they didn’t want it to impact black widow reception and box office.

The cringiest thing though was her apology. Just sad.
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

10+ Year Old Account
    Ironically enough, I came across this after seeing a meme about it, how about Neil Patrick Harris played a straight man or Dustin Hoffman a disabled man

Deleted
    This is insanity. Take whatever artistic liberties you want with your own property. And the people who constantly get offended aren't even the issue, it's whoever is dumb enough to listen. Jesus Christ.

Scarlet Johansson was singled out for playing a Japanese in Ghost in the Shell, maybe she didn't want to go through that again.

It's the internet, these groups never had contact pre interent, they were too spread out over the globe. But now with sites like reddit they find each other and organize.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    I am boggling my mind to think off a transgender actor that could fill that role.
    Last edited by mmoccd6b5b3be4; 2018-07-20 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post

The problem was small limited to just a few idiots on social media then she responded to it in what I could only describe as a bad marketing move which blew up the entire thing.

The Lightbringer GreenGoldSharpie's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Oh boy, another gaynst trans movie that heavily involves transition. How original.

I'm pretty sure it didn't.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/06/06/...-the-huntsman/

There are much more, it's not that uncommon. Most people don't care unless someone makes a thread on a forum about it.

She is a quality actress, and would have done a great job, most likely. Anyone who got upset over her getting the role needs to grow some thicker skin.

Was the movie about pre transition into post? If so, I don't see how she could reasonably play a post transition trans man. Those dudes tend to get buff as fuck due to reasons.

Deadline described the film as a "fact-based story of a woman who flourished in a male-dominated business of massage parlors and prostitution by essentially taking on the physical identity of a man." But rather than "essentially taking on" a man's identity, though, Dante was a transgender man who took on the mob during the 1970s in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania while relying on gay community for support. Johansson, meanwhile, is a cisgender woman.
    Bit makes it seem like it was a pre hormone transman so tbh it could have worked, but i really don't see her face convincing anyone she is a dude in the context of that story.

The Lightbringer GreenGoldSharpie's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    Bit makes it seem like it was a pre hormone transman so tbh it could have worked, but i really don't see her face convincing anyone she is a dude in the context of that story.
    Lot of debate over this specifically because "transition" gets mentioned a lot, and I'm pretty sure the media doesn't really separate social, medical, and legal transition. Either way, I hope the movie dies. Can't think of a single major trans movie that hasn't been a garbage fire on the concept or didn't involve prostitution. This one has both.

People outraged by a young [white] girl dressed up as an Indian, or wearing traditional Chinese clothing for Halloween...

I say to all these faux outraged losers to go fuck themselves. Why we consistently even bother listening to them baffles me, but thanks to social media every tiny trivial outrage by Joe Nobody gets blown out of proportions and manipulated to whatever agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    Was the movie about pre transition into post? If so, I don't see how she could reasonably play a post transition trans man. Those dudes tend to get buff as fuck due to reasons.

Are you sure?

Compare her face to a young Christopher Walken.

I'm serious, they are identical.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenGoldSharpie View Post
    Lot of debate over this specifically because "transition" gets mentioned a lot, and I'm pretty sure the media doesn't really separate social, medical, and legal transition. Either way, I hope the movie dies. Can't think of a single major trans movie that hasn't been a garbage fire on the concept or didn't involve prostitution. This one has both.
    I think the Danish Girl avoided the "trans people are prostitutes" trope at least, but my feelings about that one were still not completely positive lol.

Sure, it generally makes sense to have a trans person played by a trans person. Doesn't that actually seem kind of obvious? I don't think you need to get into any identity politics to notice that someone who actually is a given thing is going to look and sound the part more than someone that's pretending. Denying that seems like it would require believing that trans people aren't at all visually or aurally different than cis people, which seems like a hell of a claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Are you sure?

Compare her face to a young Christopher Walken.

I'm serious, they are identical.
    Okay I can see it. In a time where people didn't over analyze someones appearance in the sense of "is that a dude or not" it could be reasonable. Her lips would betray her to me the entire time though. >.<