Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Who else will this ruling effect besides religious Muslims? Well mostly religious Muslims. There might be a wild Christian or two left in Britain.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

filing this under the "why didn't this happen sooner?" cabinet.

also @Hubcap [insert every religion here], so can you like, shut the fuck up about it now?

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Most parents are not qualified to teach their children much of anything, quite frankly.
    I know you're ultra-lib and like to talk out your ass a lot. I generally agree with what you say, or at least what you're trying to say, but maybe someone like you isn't necessarily the most qualified person to argue on people's qualifications, huh?

School teachers these days are barely qualified to teach children. What they're doing anymore is hardly even "teaching" (source: I went to school and I also trained for a time to teach). They just recite information from teacher's copies of books. About the only course anyone couldn't pick up and teach information about is math. In a lot of ways homeschooling is vastly superior to school teaching, because you get to work 1on1 with your kid and teach them what they need to know.

Of course, the kids lose the whole social aspect of school (which is terrible and not worth the benefits of proper homeschooling, in my opinion) and even if teachers aren't allowed to teach effectively anymore, they at least understand their curriculum. Not to mention homeschooling is hard and not every parent is up to the task, though it's not impossible for them to be so.

You have this attitude that seems to say "Homeschooling is awful, kids don't learn anything because they need real teachers!" and you can take a dose of your own medicine and fuck off with that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Who else will this ruling effect besides religious Muslims? Well mostly religious Muslims. There might be a wild Christian or two left in Britain.
    Are you oblivious to other religions aside from Muslims?

You might be surprised how many Christians there are in the UK. I'm at a church of 2000 people. That said, my parents certainly never took issue with sex education. There's nothing wrong with knowing the facts, though of course my Youth Group strongly encouraged avoiding sex before marrying someone, and I've been inclined to agree. There's far too much baggage associated with it.
    OT, trying to restrict education in the information age is a fool's errand. If you don't let the school teach them about it they'll find something online or through the rumour mill, and that will be a far worse version than being taught properly. You can teach them what to do with that information at home.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    I know you're ultra-lib and like to talk out your ass a lot. I generally agree with what you say, or at least what you're trying to say, but maybe someone like you isn't necessarily the most qualified person to argue on people's qualifications, huh?

School teachers these days are barely qualified to teach children. What they're doing anymore is hardly even "teaching" (source: I went to school and I also trained for a time to teach). They just recite information from teacher's copies of books.
    Sorry, I live in a state where we actually, you know, fund education and expect teachers to be remotely qualified.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Lot's of usually pro Muslim folks are for this.

It's going to affect Muslims almost exclusively.

Violating religious freedom isn't a good thing and it's bad for multiculturalism.
    You have said this 3x, try harder

Most parents are not qualified to teach their children much of anything, quite frankly.
    Which is why I said could..... and your keyword "most" also reflects that.

Sorry, I live in a state where we actually, you know, fund education and expect teachers to be remotely qualified.
    I doubt that. Even if you're living in California, you're either with teachers teaching from books or you're (even worse) neckdeep in Common Core. The problem with education in the USA, no matter what state you live in or how much it funds education (both things are irrelevant), our entire country is beholden to stupid federal-level regulations on education that require schools to perform to the tune of standardized tests and kids have to meet certain scores. This makes it hard/impossible to teach children information you want to teach, as you have to primarily give them things that meet standardized regulations. I won't even touch the mess that is Common Core. You seem to know nothing about this topic yet you're self-righteously making brash comments and observations on it. For someone who despises it when others do this, like you do, it's a little hypocriticalK, don't you think?

What a heroic response, though. I wish I knew the nature of this mysterious "state" you live in! Guess I'll never know.
    Last edited by therealstegblob; 2018-07-20 at 07:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather just ban parents from being able to withdraw their students from well...anything but this is a start.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    Kids are gonna do sexy times so you NEED to get them sex ed.
    Let them reap the consequences of their folly.

This is government coercion at its finest.
    No one should be forced to abandon their 15th century lifestyle against their will.

I'm reminded of the South Park episode, Proper Condom Use, in light of this.

Violating religious freedom isn't a good thing and it's bad for multiculturalism.
    I think its pretty pro-Muslim to not want a 16-year old Muslim girl to get pregnant or an STD because the only person who told her anything about sex was her boyfriend, who said that he couldn't get her pregnant because he just drank a can of Mountain Dew. Because that's the kind of shit kids say to each other in dark age, intellectually backwards societies like... the United States.

Don't know what pro Muslim is but no one gets a free pass because of their religion. Do you think teaching evolution should be optional? What about other subjects that conflict with religion?
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Musik-Diversity86 View Post
    Which could also be the parents. Kthx
    Only in extremely rare cases are parents both competent enough and impartial/objective enough to provide adequate education.
    You know, because to give well rounded education you also need to teach your kid stuff you yourself might not be interested in or even good at.
    That's why you do not have only one teacher but many for many subjects.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    No it doesn't. It needs better oversight to make sure children are being taught relevant information, but it's ridiculous to propose we have to illegalize homeschooling.

Martymark also had a good point in that religious people will simply elect to pull their kids from school wholesale, or send them to weird religious schools, to avoid sex education. It's not an irrelevant point, something does need to be done about that, but making homeschooling illegal is not the answer.
    Looking over the pond, you Americans are so hilarious at times.
    In Germany you are forced by law to go to school. Only way to get around that is due to health related issues and then you get teachers sent to your home/hospital until you mend and are fit enough to go to school.
    Authorities actually verify and if need be, force your children into schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Looking over the pond, you Americans are so hilarious at times.
    In Germany you are forced by law to go to school. Only way to get around that is due to health related issues and then you get teachers sent to your home/hospital until you mend and are fit enough to go to school.
    Authorities actually verify and if need be, force your children into schools.
    Sounds to me like Germany is the hilarious place if you have authorities coming to your house to force children to go to school lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    So then they'll fuck outside of the home. This ain't rocket science.
    You're taking that too literally. When I say "under his roof", it means as long as I was still living at home.
    "Independence forever!" --- President John Adams
    "America is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own." --- President John Quincy Adams
    "Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I completely agree with this[/URL]

Parents that refuse sex education are irresponsible
    Why make it optional? It should be mandatory.

AIDS prevention vs Bronze Age Mythology should be a very simple choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Realitytrembles View Post
    You're taking that too literally. When I say "under his roof", it means as long as I was still living at home.
    I'm just saying teenagers having sex with one another is like the tides going in and out. The sun rising and setting. It's going to happen so either teach them safe sex yourself or get the school system to do it.
    Last edited by Dug; 2018-07-21 at 02:06 AM.

In some small modicum of defense of parents' concerns (still 100% in favor of overruling them on this) hopefully the schools also make it clear what is being taught so the parents can address anything missing. Because I seriously doubt the kids are going to have a frank discussion about what they learned in school. The fact that the parents and children would never talk about this is why we had this problem in the first place.