Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

BfA Faction Leader Videos, Upcoming Leveling Changes, RP Realms, Heroes - Whitemane

New Battle for Azeroth Faction Leader Videos
    Two new videos have appeared showcasing close ups with each of the faction leaders.

Leveling Speed Feedback and Upcoming Changes
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Leveling Speed Feedback and Upcoming Changes
    Anecdotal evidence as seen through these threads would indicate that the majority of your player base fall squarely on the other side of the issue.
    I totally get what you're saying but, you only have your side of what you see which people who are usually complacent and happy don't have complaints about it. Also critical posts typically are the ones that people rally behind rather than positive, which is just how the internet works, but its fine just explaining the perspective. You also have to realize that WoW has millions of players, only a small percentage of them post on the forums. So while it seems anecdotal, for the development team they have data for these kinds of decisions.

I'm having a lot of difficulty finding the players who enjoy this slowed leveling in the sea of those complaining quite loudly that they do not. Not saying they don't exist, just saying they are proving very uncommon. And while it is true the forums heavily favor complaints, I did not see a massive outcry over the inclusion of Elixir of Rapid mind and Ancient Knowledge.

Also, WoW has been iterated on for many MANY years since BC/vanilla. The players who enjoyed that sort of thing have gravitated away naturally over time to be replaced by players who acclimated to a certain leveling speed.

This trend was accelerated by the LFD tool, and likely made irreversible by the inclusion of LFR. It's simply not the same playerbase you had. And those same players who prefer the old style will be getting it back 100% when Classic drops anyway.

Retail should be retail. WoW is a themepark MMO now, and there is simply too much waiting in line to get on the rides.

Yeah its kinda hard to see the positive sometimes, I spoke about this in the first reply in this post so just copy past that here! (That was kind of convenient!). I was surprised at that as well. Really the flasks were kind of a niche thing that didn't really have a whole lot of use with players. Especially since they weren't as easy to get, I do miss the gold you got from selling the Rapid Mind flasks though.

It's like you said a challenge when you're used to something for so many years. It was something the team had identified and wanted to fix for awhile but finally had the chance with that patch.

Ythisens, have you looked into the issues regarding the drastic reduction in leveling XP in dungeons when grouped with someone who is at the max level of that particular expansion?
    Thanks for this! I'll pass that on.

This character has been leveling completely after the prepatch came out and I've tried to keep records: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/...6256516#post-8
    This is pretty great! Pretty cool treating the experience as a journal and the decisions you're making, as well as how it feels post 7.3.5.

If any of the communication thus far, or the lack of visible action, has given the impression that we don't consider the issues raised in this thread and others like it to be a problem, I'd like to emphatically state that nothing could be farther from the truth.

At this point, the feel and pacing of the level-up experience is a top priority for the team. We made deliberate changes to the feel of combat six months ago in 7.3.5, moving away from a world where low-level players (especially with heirlooms) could often kill outdoor enemies in 3-4 seconds, and where dungeon mobs died so quickly that a caster with a long windup might not even get a single spell off. Those changes were controversial at the time, but we stand by them as an improvement to the overall pacing of the game. But we also think that those changes went quite far enough, and have absolutely no desire or intent to continue moving in that direction. Nothing about the pre-patch was deliberately intended to make combat take longer than it did previously.

So why haven't we fixed it yet? Honestly, because we genuinely don't know where exactly the problem lies, and we don't want to make a blind blanket change that actually misses the real source of the problem. That's why much of Ythisens' and others' messages thus far have been asking the community for detailed examples to guide our search.

We "squished" stats and item levels, but this was done with the aim of being neutral with respect to the duration and lethality of combat. When we heard complaints about things taking too long to kill, we immediately assumed we'd gotten those calculations wrong. But a look at the raw data didn't suggest any clear anomalies. So we started testing empirically: We can run internal 7.3.5 builds, so we set up test characters (e.g. a level 70 wearing appropriate quest gear awarded by quests around that level - Item Level 115 in 7.3.5, Item Level 79 in 8.0.1) and fight outdoor enemies in 7.3.5, and then take the same character in 8.0.1 and fight the same enemies, and compare.

We are seeing the same sort of discrepancies that folks in this thread and others have pointed out, but still have yet to pinpoint the exact aspect of scaling that we failed to account for. We want to understand WHY the numbers are off and fix the underlying cause: Were stats on gear reduced too much? Some aspect of creature armor or other combat calculations? Are our baseline values accurate, but the shape of the scaling curve wrong such that it’s particularly far off the mark in the 60-80 range? We would prefer a targeted solution versus just applying a bandaid fix that could mask deeper issues that could cause problems down the line, but at some point it’s not fair to give you a degraded experience for the sake of that investigation, so we’ll likely go ahead with a blanket health reduction in the near future while we continue to investigate.

Either way, the current state is not the game experience we intended, and it’s something we will fix.

There is another issue tangentially related to this discussion that I also would like to address: Many feel that it takes too long to level in the 60-80 range in particular, and that the combat pacing issues discussed here are just a piece of that larger problem. We agree – currently players are taking about 15% longer per level, on average, in that range as compared to before 60 or after 80. We’re in the process of assembling a set of changes that will smooth out the experience curve at level 60 and beyond, reducing the experience requirements for those levels.

We’ll have further updates as specific changes roll out, but we’re prioritizing our work on this problem and hoping to get these improvements out to everyone in the coming days. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Dungeon Bonus Experience
    We identified an issue with the dungeon completion bonus which meant that players were only receiving 1/5th of the EXP they should be getting (due to the way EXP works in a group). I've been informed that this issue should now be resolved, so you should be receiving a large amount of EXP upon completing a dungeon now. If this isn't the case please do let me know. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

RP Realm Sharding
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    There's a lot of commotion on the RP realms about sharding returning, it's really not welcome on the RP realms, however, I assume this is only temporary to help with BFA's launch?
    By default, sharding is always disabled on RP realms, except where needed for server stability. When events drive large numbers of players to specific areas, we shard them as needed. Sharding has once again been disabled, but we expect it will be needed for launch events soon. (WarcraftDevs)

Heroes of the Storm - High Inquisitor Whitemane Revealed as Next Hero
    High Inquisitor Whitemane, priestess of the Scarlet Crusade and boss of Scarlet Monastery, has been revealed as the next hero in Heroes of the Storm!

Last edited by chaud; 2018-07-26 at 08:35 PM.

"So why haven't we fixed it yet? Honestly, because we genuinely don't know where exactly the problem lies..."

All the moolah from Character Boosts clouding your vision Blizz?

10+ Year Old Account
    Can we have an honest conversation about Sylvanas' eyebrows? Like, what the fuck is going on with those things? Why are they so huge?

Whilst it's easy to point to boosts I do find the recent posts encouraging that they do admit there are still issues to address and importantly they're addressing them pretty swiftly with hot fixes and not just delaying it for a future patch. So for now I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt that this really is just the squish and not an intentional slow down of the experience. Although I still wish they'd make heirlooms overpowered again. For me the biggest absence from 1-110 on an alt is feeling powerful. That's been gone since they reduced the stats on heirloom gear at the same time they introduced scaling. I get why they did it but I don't think they've fully appreciated the impact that had.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmanderp View Post
    Can we have an honest conversation about Sylvanas' eyebrows? Like, what the fuck is going on with those things? Why are they so huge?
    elven eyebrows yo

2nd blue post in 2 days? they must be shitting their pants at negative backlash they got

stop being greedy bastards and pushing you char boosts agenda .

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Is Anduin a young Brad Pitt clone?

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you new to WoW? :P

Deleted
    ITT: People who still think the levelling is nerfed due to Blizzard wanting boost buys, omegalul

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    2nd blue post in 2 days? they must be shitting their pants at negative backlash they got

People like you are like flat earthers, and everything else is a conspiracy. Char boost agenda, really?

Ever worked in something related to software and coding? Or have you ever worked at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Collected View Post
    Whilst it's easy to point to boosts I do find the recent posts encouraging that they do admit there are still issues to address and importantly they're addressing them pretty swiftly with hot fixes and not just delaying it for a future patch. So for now I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt that this really is just the squish and not an intentional slow down of the experience. Although I still wish they'd make heirlooms overpowered again. For me the biggest absence from 1-110 on an alt is feeling powerful. That's been gone since they reduced the stats on heirloom gear at the same time they introduced scaling. I get why they did it but I don't think they've fully appreciated the impact that had.
    every elf in the game has eyebrows like that, you could even see them on the potato i played on in vanilla

Quote Originally Posted by Echorausch View Post
    People like you are like flat earthers, and everything else is a conspiracy. Char boost agenda, really?

Ever worked in something related to software and coding? Or have you ever worked at all?
    I have and I can tell you stories about how often marketing and other money people will make design decisions for you.
    I have been chosen by the big metal hand in the sky!

Quote Originally Posted by cretos87 View Post
    Those lips...
    before blizz was run by a board of 11 people (6 of which were activision hires) i'd say no way, they don't do things like that, it's always about the game first.

since activision took over control of wow's monetization, it's 100% possible that slower leveling was done to increase the people paying $60 to skip it, while also requiring more sub uptime to level those alts. they have the data that we'll never see that shows if this is a viable tactic, and yes, today blizz is more concerned with profit than how fun wow is. whatever balance they have to strike to maximize profit at the expense of the game is 100% what they'll do, it's how every single entity under activision's umbrella operates

Quote Originally Posted by looorg View Post
    Is Anduin a young Brad Pitt clone?
    Either that or James Dean clone

Sylvanas Windrunner used to be a High Elf. That is why her eyebrows are that big.
    But I don't understand why they are still blonde...

She was also turned into a Banshee (Undead) by Arthas.

So the Horde get a bad ass banshee Queen, and the alliance get Bieber!? Seems about right

Stood in the Fire
    7+ Year Old Account
    my life for anduin wrynn. for the alliance

Deleted
    anduin has converted me

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post

So tired of all these people complaining about boosts, yea sure they are pushing them on us and say it's for the game's experience we all know that's bullshit and they just wanna make more money but that's fine guys. This is a free to play game, of course they gonna force some micro transactions on us. They need to make some money atleast!