Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Discouraged from playing druid because of spec choice in raids. Stupid mindset ?

I've always been discouraged from playing druids because I always value performing well in raids very highly. Which would mean to sometimes spec into Boomkin , which I dont really like that much . But on the contrary I absolutely love Feral . Same for resto and guardian for farming m+ outsides of raids for example.
    But I've always dreaded maining a druid and finding myself having to spec into moonkin because it is so much stronger in a certain scenario or content.

Do you think that is a stupid mindset to have ?

10+ Year Old Account
    I raided ICC as BM while every other Hunter praised MM Armor pen as the next coming of Christ.

If you play what you like well enough, then nothing else matters.

yes that is a stupid mindset.

Range and melee actually aren't easily interchangeable in many fights. You're more likely to have to switch to tank or healer.

Druids aren’t like hunters where you are ranged dps and if you choose say, MM over BM when BM is better, you’re contributing in a subpar way in the same role. Druids will be accepted into a raid as their chosen role, no matter what it is. If you want to raid as feral, just do it. No one’s going to chew you out for not being boomkin if you signed up for melee dps and fit on the team as melee dps.

That being said... if you WERE able and willing to switch specs on an emergency basis, you would be even more valuable. Not needed, but I’m sure the raid would appreciate you stepping up to the plate as a last ditch offtank or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Fumu View Post
    Druids aren’t like hunters where you are ranged dps and if you choose say, MM over BM when BM is better, you’re contributing in a subpar way in the same role. Druids will be accepted into a raid as their chosen role, no matter what it is. If you want to raid as feral, just do it. No one’s going to chew you out for not being boomkin if you signed up for melee dps and fit on the team as melee dps.

That being said... if you WERE able and willing to switch specs on an emergency basis, you would be even more valuable. Not needed, but I’m sure the raid would appreciate you stepping up to the plate as a last ditch offtank or whatever.
    This is hugely important. Guilds thrive off people who are able to be flexible. I always choose a class (in this case for BFA im going Boom) that can do multiple rolls incase one is needed in raid due to someone not being able to come ect. I normally main dps for the sole reason of not wanting to be in an important role that causes the guild to not raid (for example i use to tank but it ruined the time i got to spend with the wife because if i didnt show up to a raid night they didnt raid period) but i will still offspec something else (normally healer) so i can switch if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Aoda View Post
    I've always been discouraged from playing druids because I always value performing well in raids very highly. Which would mean to sometimes spec into Boomkin , which I dont really like that much . But on the contrary I absolutely love Feral . Same for resto and guardian for farming m+ outsides of raids for example.
    But I've always dreaded maining a druid and finding myself having to spec into moonkin because it is so much stronger in a certain scenario or content.

Do you think that is a stupid mindset to have ?
    There are 2 different issues. One is gear differences, in addition to jewelry Boomkins have always had a radically different stat priority from Feral. This is going to change in BFA, both will be haste junkies. You will still need 2 sets of trinkets which can be problematic since it can be difficult to get 1 good set of trinkets.

The bigger issue which you alluded to is they are completely different specs and even switching to a different role is less jarring than switching to Moonkin. Personally I can't see playing something I don't enjoy.
    Last edited by teddabear; 2018-07-26 at 07:11 PM.

You mentioned nothing of the level you want to raid at.

There are literally like 5 guilds in the world where your spec choice has an appreciable difference to whether or not the boss dies. As someone who has played a druid for 12 years at this point and has flexed into boomkin at various points, while also playing at a top 100 or so level, I have never been actually asked to play boomkin unless I brought it up. Basically nobody expects a melee player to change to a ranged spec no matter the difference. But if you are capable of playing both specs it is always advisable.

The fact of life for any non pure DPS class is that at any given point in time your spec can be perceived as weak, and you might end up having to sit. That is just how raiding works. But like I mentioned earlier, unless you are in those 5 guilds pushing for World 1st, your individual skill and your ability to not make stupid mistakes that cause wipes is what is actually important.

That being said, you really should run Boomkin for M+ in BFA. Legion proved that no matter how OP Feral is for M+, anyone who doesn't know you on a personal level will invariably ask if you are a Boomkin before inviting you to a run.
    Frequent Poster on Fluid Druid, The best Feral community out there

My Character

Well, in my eyes you are not really playing WoW to it's fullest if you can only play one class well. A good player plays multiple classes and can switch AND still do well, if needed.

Does this matter in the slightest? No, why would you care what I think? It does not have any impact for you unless you decide to apply to my guild.

It's a bummer you can't do what you like, but try to look at other ways to play the game and don't tunnelvision into a minor part of the game.
    top guild member
    multi gladiator

giving wow insight daily - expert in wow

That depends on how raid set up in BFA in the overall long run. Which nobody knows.
    But with respect to LEGION. Especially in Argus, the game pretty much force, or strongly advise, I mean force you to move away from the non ideal spec. Especially for my merely average skill level.

The amount of shit you have to do as a cat in ARGUS, versus casually sliding around argus's crotch doing lossless DPS as balance is too hard to ignore.
    Same for the previous boss, the lack of any real mechanics to do as a cat versus the insane work out you need to do like "left right middle, BLOW; left right middle, BLOW" every 30 seconds or so. We have enough range, fuck that.
    Last edited by gobio; 2018-07-26 at 09:10 AM.

Deleted
    I'm actually thinking about going druid so I can go boomkin if ranged is highly picked for m+ again. I do like boomkin so I don't share that problem with you.

But unless you join a guild that is really tryhard you should be fine playing feral all you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraineth View Post
    You mentioned nothing of the level you want to raid at.

There are literally like 5 guilds in the world where your spec choice has an appreciable difference to whether or not the boss dies.
    This is so not true. What you mean is that most guilds don't have to worry about their ranged/melee balance because they recruited people based on the roles they needed. But there are absolutely a large amount of bosses that you can't kill if you don't have enough ranged DPS, because most bosses have mechanics that require ranged players to deal with.

Literally why I switched away from Druid after Legion. Not a stupid mindset to have; Boomy lacks plenty of tools that other classes have:
    - Defensively, Boomies aren't great. Barkskin is blah and Bear Form has been nerfed to shit.
    - Utility, you don't have much either, unless we start hard-CCing (let alone only Beasts/Dragonkin) and enrage mechanics start popping up.
    - Raid Utility/Support, you have Innervate. A 3 minute CD on the GCD that does almost nothing. Enough said.

That said, if you really do enjoy Boomy, then keep playing it, otherwise, switch to a healthier class like I am.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Blizzard wants us to play what we want

Play want you enjoy. If you're in a raid group that forces you into a certain spec, get a better raid group. All classes have experienced some element of what's "best" to play with but it doesn't take into account your ability to handle the rotation and be in good spirits while playing, both of which impact your capabilities in-game.

In contrast I love playing unpopular classes and specs. The worse the better. I seriously want to reroll into Enhance now as it's THE outcast now.

10+ Year Old Account
    For someone that wants to perform highly in a raid, it's sort of contradictory. High end raiding is about playing what's necessary, in part at least. When I raided actively with guild(s) I often played specs I didn't love because they were the best. That's just what you do.

You can always use the spec you love for farm content or questing, etc.

Outside of high-end raiding, and we're talking bleeding edge content, play what you like. That's been the model to date.

@Polarthief Are you sure you're replying to the right topic? Your reasons are completely unrelated to the OPs concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    @Polarthief Are you sure you're replying to the right topic? Your reasons are completely unrelated to the OPs concerns.
    Rip, could have sworn OP said he loves boomy and hates feral. My bad xD

My points do stand though, even if they're OT.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.