Poll: Rate the movie STAR WARS™: The Rise of Skywalker™

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    Well, TFA not only copied the plot (with almost all of the elements from Episode 4) but also left us with the same outcome. Superweapon destroyed, mentor dead, Vader figure, Emperor figure, republic planets destroyed, rebellion weakened... (you get the gist of it). Where can you really go from there? The Republic was basically destroyed at the end of TFA so we ended up with the same rebellion-empire dichotomy. Rian Johnson had such a clear cut way in front of him that he only basically had two choices. Either change into reverse gear and make something completely different while basically ignoring TFA or follow through with it and copy episode 5. He ended up trying to do both things at the same time and it was shit. Can't fully blame him for that though.

It also seems to be a failure according to critics. Not that it has any bearing on whether or not it's a good movie. Sure, it might be financially successful but does that mean it's good and serves to grow the SW franchise in the long run?
    He made dumb decisions with what he was offered. But I can atleast admit Disney/Lucasfilm is at far greater fault for not handing the whole trilogy to one person. Who the fuck thinks this works unless all three directors and all writers involved are actively networking and preplanning this entire thing together?

Quote Originally Posted by amkedeb View Post
    He made dumb decisions with what he was offered. But I can atleast admit Disney/Lucasfilm is at far greater fault for not handing the whole trilogy to one person. Who the fuck thinks this works unless all three directors and all writers involved are actively networking and preplanning this entire thing together?
    I don't know. Seems insane to me. But I guess, they just thought the Star Wars IP is pretty much failsafe (which it is/was) so they didn't really care.

7+ Year Old Account
    And we have our first "Michael Bay Transformer's movies are quality movies because they made lots of money" of the day.
    But he says nothing about quality. And he is also right, movie will most likely make truckload of money. How the frenchise will look in the future, that's different matter. I mean, they alr fucked spinn-offs and had to put them on hold.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Worked for Harry Potter.

10+ Year Old Account
    And we have our first "Michael Bay Transformer's movies are quality movies because they made lots of money" of the day.
    Didn't say that translates to good just that angry forum nerds don't matter when general audiences will still watch it and enjoy the movie

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't say that translates to good just that angry forum nerds don't matter when general audiences will still watch it and enjoy the movie

7+ Year Old Account
    There is difference between having multiple directors for the series, and having multiple directors for the series that try to undermine each other.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

I don't know. Seems insane to me. But I guess, they just thought the Star Wars IP is pretty much failsafe (which it is/was) so they didn't really care.
    It's failsafe if you have a plan. The prequels were a mess but atleast they were their own story. Now we have something crying out how new it is while holding up anything it can manage to make people member. Like fucking green milk. I REMEMBER THAT!

Meanwhile, the Mandolorian is doing well because it's telling it's own story in the star wars universe and not leaning entirely on fanservice beats and cameos. It's fucking great when star wars can escape the trap of Rebels vs Empire.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Poll is up. You will rate it with stars or no stars, the ol'classic way.
    A solid 5/7 poll. Zero to four stars? What's wrong with you?!
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    But he says nothing about quality. And he is also right, movie will most likely make truckload of money. How the frenchise will look in the future, that's different matter. I mean, they alr fucked spinn-offs and had to put them on hold.
    Okay? Why are we talking about money if it isn't some attempt to imply quality? Who cares if it makes it's money? It's still a fucking trainwreck that people are dumpin on critically already.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post

- - - Updated - - -

And Angry forum nerds trying to find solace in how much money it makes doesn't matter either since people will see it to confirm it's garbage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    Worked for Harry Potter.
    I want to say J.K. was there to advise. But I never actually watched those movies so I can't confirm. If she did, there you go.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay? Why are we talking about money if it isn't some attempt to imply quality? Who cares if it makes it's money? It's still a fucking trainwreck that people are dumpin on critically already.

- - - Updated - - -

And Angry forum nerds trying to find solace in how much money it makes doesn't matter either since people will see it to confirm it's garbage.
    Disney won't learn any lesson if it still makes them money. Casual star wars fans enjoy the films and fill seats and buy merch that's all that matters to megacorps.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    There is difference between having multiple directors for the series, and having multiple directors for the series that try to undermine each other.
    They wouldn't be undermining each other if they worked together. This applies to to both Mr. Subvert your expectations and JJ and his fucking mystery box style.

- - - Updated - - -

Disney won't learn any lesson if it still makes them money. Casual star wars fans enjoy the films and fill seats and buy merch that's all that matters to megacorps.
    They didn't learn anything from Solo. And haven't merchandise sales been steadily going down because they decided the people who buy fan shit are all horrible russian bots?

Well, TFA not only copied the plot (with almost all of the elements from Episode 4) but also left us with the same outcome. Superweapon destroyed, mentor dead, Vader figure, Emperor figure, republic planets destroyed, rebellion weakened... (you get the gist of it). Where can you really go from there? The Republic was basically destroyed at the end of TFA so we ended up with the same rebellion-empire dichotomy. Rian Johnson had such a clear cut way in front of him that he only basically had two choices. Either change into reverse gear and make something completely different while basically ignoring TFA or follow through with it and copy episode 5. He ended up trying to do both things at the same time and it was shit. Can't fully blame him for that though.
    I literally spelled out 3 ways the story could have gone. Nothing about TFA showed that the entire republic was destroyed, just their capital. Are you saying if the US drops a nuke on Beijing tomorrow that the entire country is defeated instantly? To say he only had two choices on what to do with the story when he had complete creative freedom is the single most disingenuous argument. Don't get me wrong, I really wish JJ hadn't remade ANH but that doesn't mean RJ isn't to blame 100% for the train wreck he created.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    My favourite is in 6, when Vader tosses him down the shaft, and it's just lightning lightning lightning the whole time. The way he uses that ability reminds me if a pissed off 8 year old throwing a tantrum.
    Dooku had way more self control.
    The stupid thing is that they made it so sith can slow fall in the orginal clone wars cartoon so you would think he’d just slow him self and force pull back up.

10+ Year Old Account
    They didn't learn anything from Solo. And haven't merchandise sales been steadily going down because they decided the people who buy fan shit are all horrible russian bots?
    Not even sure what you are referring to I'm just saying the movie will still be a success at the box office is all. I was addressing the few that genuinely think these movies can actually fail at the box office because of angry hot takes.

The Patient
    5+ Year Old Account
    The leaks are 100% accurate? Goood.

I was excited to witness this trainwreck in action if it was only a quarter real. Thursday after midnight is going to be great.

And will the racist/sexist/toxic fanbase/critics argument be walked out again now that some people who liked TLJ have now turned on this movie?
    You better believe the fanbase is going to cop some flak for "forcing Disney and J.J. to discard the potential of TLJ in order play it safe", or some other such nonsense.

Now, I don't know many Star Wars fans personally, but I seriously doubt many of them were clamouring for Disney to make the OT all over again.
    "Why has government been instituted at all? Because the passions of men will not conform to the dictates of reason and justice, without constraint." - Alexander Hamilton

Not even sure what you are referring to I'm just saying the movie will still be a success at the box office is all. I was addressing the few that genuinely think these movies can actually fail at the box office because of angry hot takes.
    Box office =/= quality of movie. I don't remember anyone but you coming in to talk about how it will make GORILLIANS (lol).

10+ Year Old Account
    Box office =/= quality of movie. I don't remember anyone but you coming in to talk about how it will make GORILLIANS (lol).
    Well with 7 posts I doubt you've been in all 180 something pages but anyways this is just going in circles. Never once did I state money = quality just that it will still be a success by the only metric that matters to Disney. That's my final say on the matter

It's fucking great when star wars can escape the trap of Rebels vs Empire.
    Rebel's verse Empire isn't even in the issue, it's how you tell the story. Instead of what we got they should have gone the EU route and had the Empire not roll over and die after their defeat at Endor.

Absolute horrible movie. Worst than Last Jedi. It's like twitch chat grouped up wrote script for this piece of shit.

Well with 7 posts I doubt you've been in all 180 something pages but anyways this is just going in circles. Never once did I state money = quality just that it will still be a success by the only metric that matters to Disney. That's my final say on the matter
    It's called lurking, sweaty. I've been watching this thread because it's a fun microcosm. Including people who say the movies are about space wizards for kids so stop thinking about it but don't apply that logic to any other star wars product.

And they care about positive response. That's why they pay reviewers and bribe youtubers with swag/premiere trips.