95 15.13%
  • ★★☆☆ [2]

154 24.52%
  • ★★★☆ [3]

167 26.59%
  • ★★★★ [4]

91 14.49%
    Pandaren Monk
    Can confirm the leaks were true, every single one of them. Just back from seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post

Theres almost no actual problem with Rey power
    She's a Mary Sue, put Luke on his ass with little training and was able to do feats in such a short time that supposedly one of the most powerful jedi ever couldn't with years under his belt. Now all it took to kill Palpatine just one extra lightsaber. It's garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    because that was just palpatine revealing his true self through use of the dark side, which we know can affect people physically

- - - Updated - - -

I genuinely believe literally anyone on this thread would have made a better star wars film than Rian
    I don't think you even know why you didn't like TLJ. I think you, like almost everyone who bashes it day in and day out, points out flaws in that movie as a negative, while ignoring the same flaws in other movies in the franchise. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    He has a wife and daughter
    I feel sorry for them. Hopefully he isn't such a negative, horrible person in real life.

Not surprised to see it not doing very well critically, after the last 2 movies.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    These leaks are so bad that they can't possibly be true. Which is why I've dismissed them for when the movie is actually out.
    Sadly they all pretty much are to some extent.

Sports and Fitness mod, Brit with weird sleeping hours.
    Has good taste in ale, bad taste in D&D choices.

SPOILERS INC. SPOILERS INC. SPOILERS INC. Okay, I just got back from seeing it. Got a lot to unpack here.

Alright, I'll get the good out of the way because I think there's genuinely all too little of it. The acting of the Poe, Finn and Rey were all on POINT. Genuinely very good acting - especially Finn. Secondly, the part with Han talking to Kylo/Ben (will hereafter call him Ben) was touching, if a tad forced.

But now the bad. Nerd rage inc. And some of it nitpicky, but a lot of it not. I'll try and go in order of events as best I can as I remember them but my head is a bit of a mess so bear with me.

the best bit of buttfuckery we had in the very first five minutes
    THAT SNOKE WAS PALPATINE USING A FUCKING KERMIT THE FROG STYLE PUPPET THE WHOLE TIME.
    HAHAHAHAHHAHNO

This movie felt rushed like fuck. I got whiplash watching this movie. One minute we were doing this now we're doing that but then we're doing this again. Secondly, an arrow can pierce Stormtrooper helmets now? Is their armour good for literally anything? (nitpicky i know) Leia's lines all felt disjointed and random, naturally because she's dead and they didn't have a lot to work with, but still. And then she decided to die just so she could say "Ben"? Yeah okay, seems odd and a wasteful exit for the character but whatever fuck it I guess.

Secondly we need to find a flimflamdoodad in order to find a flimflomdeedod in order to get to secret planet. Cliche and generic as all fuck. How many secret uncharted planets does this universe have???

Oh and C3-P0 is programmed not to translate Sith language. Okay. At what point from Anakin building him to this movie would that restriction have ever been built into him? That entire element was an excuse to go to a random planet and learn (again, randomly) that Poe used to be a drug runner. For no reason. And it REALLY wanted us to care and get emotional when he takes "one last look at his friends" - but it fell entirely flat. I didn't get anything from that moment. Especially knowing he would be fine and R2 has his memory anyway.

Also whats with Rey trying to pull a ship out of the sky? Is there much precedent for that in terms of force ability? Feels like every time a bad sith guy was forced to watch as the good guy took off in a ship looks a tad silly at this point. Almost makes me wonder why vader bothered chasing down leia's ship in a new hope instead of just pulling on it. Also - again - no one believed for a cosmic fucksecond that Chewbacca was really dead. That sequence was done so poorly it had no impact.

But its fine because now we have red-eyed C3-P0 and got the location of the second flimflam, so lets go get it. Okay so flimflam #2 is on the wreckage of the O.G. Death Star, because naturally it is why wouldn't it be alright fair play. She goes to get it and cool she finds it BUTWAITTHERESMORE, apparently the death star contracted a bit of dagobah aids because suddenly dark rey with a weird double-saber-but-not appears BUTWAITTHERESMORE BEN IS HERE TOO
    cue fight, cue Finn screaming at her and trying to help her even though he knows shes mega capable and wtf is he gonna do chuck water on Ben? yeah nah sit down Finn you turnip, then suddenly as I said earlier Leia decided to yeet herself into death by saying "Ben" which causes Rey to do a stabby stab of Ben, but then she feels bad because he was on a timeout cos his mum died but he didnt say that, so she heals his wound - which is now a thing, apparently? I mean, this one didn't phase me much but it was a TAD annoying that she could just...do this to people/creatures when we hadn't seen much of that before.
    SHE LEAVES! TO GO TO THE PLANET I FORGOT THE NAME OF AND BE A HERMIT LIKE LUKE! But then Luke appears and is like "nah don't, thats gay" and shes like "yeah fair" and leaves, JUST LIKE THAT.
    AND APPARENTLY
    THEY KNEW
    SHE WAS A PALPATINE
    THE WHOLE TIME
    THE WHOLE DAMN TIME
    AHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAno

So anyway coach has given Reypatine a pep talk, told her that blood is mega meaningless so its fine, and told her to go finish this shiz because otherwise the war is lost
    AND NOW, ARMED WITH THE ULTIMATE FLIMFLAM TO TAKE US TO SECRET WORLD #34, WE GO TO HUNT DOWN EMPEROR PALPATINE (ill get to that fuckery in a moment)

also Lando's appearance was collossal fanservice I would have managed without having to be quite honest. Fat n old doesn't look good on him.
    ok. so. we're on exogol. we're a tad mad cause grandad is a tad mean.
    nah didnt wanna kill you at all i wanted you to take the throne. ye, k.

who the hell are all these hooded ass followers in the audience and where were they in episodes I through VI?
    "strike me down or all your friends will die"
    I'm pretty sure I saw this movie already, it was called Return of the Jedi.
    Also, if I'm understanding correctly, her killing him would have enabled him to literally possess and live within her, and all sith in history that have come before would also have been within her? heavy dose of fuckery there but ok

AND APPARENTLY WE NOW HAVE THE POWER OF LITERAL FUCKING RESURRECTION. OKAY. ALRIGHT. SURE. NO PROBLEM. OH BYE BEN YOU DIED BECAUSE WE HAVE TO HAVE THIS ENDING BE A BIT SAD
    excepticaredverylittle

(the palpatine rant is coming dont you worry)

but then we get the ending, on Tatooine. And her calling herself Rey Skywalker. She ain't a goddamn Skywalker you can't just adopt it like a fuckin moniker. You could have said Skywalker is just a title if you werent going on about how you were Jedi and all Jedi live within you. Either all skywalkers live within you and you're a skywalker or you're a jedi. Like IDK they seems to mismatch in my brain but I guess whatever. The fact is she ISNT a skywalker and bullshitting her way into being one does not make this film a more legitimite "skywalker saga" movie - and I fail to see the reasoning behind the 'Rise of Skywalker' title - Rise of the Jedi may have worked

And they tried so hard with symbolism but it fell so flat. Her standing, observing the twin suns of Tatooine, ending the movies as they began - fell completely flat because of everything that this movie did. Luke pulling his X-Wing out of the water like Yoda did for him in Empire Strikes Back - fell completely flat because of everything that this
    movie did

But anyway, finally, Palpatine. The man, the myth, the bullshit
    Him being alive is not only bullshit, it's an insult to the original movies and to George Lucas' story. The whole point was the prophecy of balancing the force, and how by the end of it, Anakin DID bring balance to the force by slaying his tormenter, saving his son and redeeming himself. And now we're literally told it didn't work
    We're expected to believe that palpatine survived:
    - Being thrown into the electrics of the Death Star.
    -The Death Star EXPLODING with him inside it.
    - The resulting lack of oxygen from FLOATING THROUGH SPACE.
    - The inevitable crashing into the surface of a nearby planet.

Decrepit and scarred or not - that is some high levels of cosmic bullshit

And when the hell was palpatine procreating? Who was his partner? There's no evidence of this in I - VI? And how did the resulting children break away from his influence? There's so many questions here that we will never get answers to. It's ludicrous

Also gotta love him electrocuting the entire fucking sky. Reminded me of a Simpsons clip where Homer puts an electric light thing in a lake and all the fish die. What a stupid display of force power.

Also love Disney going "OH SHIT OH SHIT WE DIDNT PUT GAYS IN THE SAGA OH SHIT HURRY BEFORE ITS TOO LATE" and then making two female extras kiss at the very end. Not desperate at all. (I'm annoyed at how little this amounted to. If they wanted to do LGBT representation, they should have done it properly. Not half-assed at the very end.

And can we please decide whether or not Finn is a force sensitive because they can never put their damn finger on it

Also, Leia was suddenly being trained by Luke but got pregnant so decided against it?......ok......yeah

A lot of these things would have made more sense if they didnt come out of fuck all nowhere. None of it was even slightly alluded to. Honestly fuck this movie
    It was trash and I'm gonna respect I - VI for what they are and try and forget what came after. VII and VIII were both decent I thought but this movie ruins them. The fact they had no plan for the whole trilogy really shows in this movie (thats confirmed by kathleen kennedy)
    the spinoffs have been good, I liked Solo and Rogue One - but they had no idea what to do with the main star wars movies. and they did a terrible job. a damn shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerplank View Post
    Now all it took to kill Palpatine just one extra lightsaber. It's garbage.
    Just saw footage of that clip, I was laughing hard.

All of the vader and luke arc made pointless for a crossing the saber to return his lightning into his face moment..... it is so stupid to just destroy all efforts of the originals and prequels for a Rey is the strongest jedi ever moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Indres View Post
    Lmao

Heelvsbaby face is a fucking piece of shit. The movie sucked but I wouldnt take anything from him

Like what a bitter angry man, his entire channel is dedicating to finding things to be angry about. He needs to get some pussy
    Not true, have you seen his Mandalorian reviews?

Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    There's a difference between being gifted by the force and being "force sensitive" on the levels Anakin, Luke, and later Rey are.
    i didn't had much problem with anakin and Luke, luke to me was garbage in the movies, and even lost many times, barely could reach his lightsaber.

Anakin was nothing, and only gained real power training hard with Obi-wan, and even went to a long way to be powerful, and even succumbed to the dark side

Rey is just "yeah fuck it", it was awful

Quote Originally Posted by Gulantik View Post
    Also whats with Rey trying to pull a ship out of the sky? Is there much precedent for that in terms of force ability?
    Kinda, kinda not. The force unleashed games had the protagonist (Starkiller - cringe) do that in a boss fight. Afaik that wasn't canon until now.
    /tar Tinker-zealot /point /lol
    WoW:Shadowlands - Danuser's Divina Commedia?

Not a bad movie overall, but it should have been called Deus Ex Machina: The movie.
    Nothing is ever explained, as if nothing was written beforehand at all.
    Overall good action, nothing makes sense and you travel through 20 planets in 20 minutes so that feels rushed, Palpatine's death is a bit too fast imo (it was great until that "and me, I am all the Jedi ! nananananana" and boom dual lightsaber u ded) and we could have had a nice ending with a lightsaber duel between both, or at least Palpatine not dying in 2 seconds.
    Lots of clichés, but that was expected though. Finn seems to want to fit Finn Junior into every single female in the galaxy, I even expected he would kiss Poe when they hugged after winning the war...

- Hey, what if we used the Holdo maneuver, as all the ships are conveniently aligned ?
    - No, that was an exceptionnal situation
    - And now it's a totally normal one ?
    - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Come on, at least find a pseudo-physics explanation. Doesn't work here because of gravity, because of the temperature, because of an interference, I don't care, not "because i don't want to".

- Hey, Chewbacca is in this ship !
    - How do you know ?
    - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

- Hey, the Dagger is here !
    - How do you know ?
    - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, but I know we need it to find what we look for !
    - How do you know ?
    - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, the good news is that I know from which point I shall look to find the compass in the destroyed Death Star, even though we arrived here with a huge touch of luck as we crashed
    - That seems random right ?
    - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

- Why do we bother building a planet-size cannon to destroy planets if we can just create super-cannon we can equip our ships with ?
    - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

- Hey, the ships cannot navigate without this radio signal !
    - Why ? All our ships perfectly can, and they can probably just... look toward the planet to remember where is the "down" and the "up"
    - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

- Hey, the signal is now in THIS ship ! (says the non-Force user)
    - How do you know ?
    - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

- Hey, if we throw all our Grenades into this hole totally not nearby the antenna, it will destroy it (but without destroying the part we're sitting on) !
    - How do you know ?
    - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

- We destroyed the all the paper ships on this planet, now we have won because all the other ships will spontaneously explode without being attacked !
    - Why ?
    - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What was the purpose of all the buildup upon Ren's knight again ? They served no purpose and were killed in seconds (I think 20 seconds ?) when they had to finally fight.
    Last edited by Ophenia; 2019-12-19 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    You're literally the opposite of correct here - it's the only Star Wars film WITHOUT soul

- - - Updated - - -

I'm gonna say it - Calling yourself Skywalker when you have literally no connection to any Skywalker is weirdchamp
    She got adopted by ghosts. Didn't you see the way they smiledat her?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gulantik View Post
    snip
    Use dem spoiler tags brah.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly, I think the movie is a pile of crap. More plotholes and lazy writing.

Am I the only one concerned with:

• Force Ghost++ (ghosts being able to do physical things and use the force to influence the world, they could in theory manifest and wreck all evil if they wanted to)
    • Force Heal (This brings so many problems in the lore)
    • Force Skype (call me, fight me, teleport stuff)

The plotholes in this flick are so many and frankly it introduced more than it attempted to close them. It's a full on mess, but JJ does what JJ knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic12 View Post
    She got adopted by ghosts. Didn't you see the way they smiledat her?

- - - Updated - - -

Use dem spoiler tags brah.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly, I think the movie is a pile of crap. More plotholes and lazy writing.

Am I the only one concerned with:

• Force Ghost++ (ghosts being able to do physical things and use the force to influence the world, they could in theory manifest and wreck all evil if they wanted to)
    • Force Heal (This brings so many problems in the lore)
    • Force Skype (call me, fight me, teleport stuff)

The plotholes in this flick are so many and frankly it introduced more than it attempted to close them. It's a full on mess, but JJ does what JJ knows.
    It was never gonna end truly well with JJ at the helm

But yes both JJ and RJ have shown a complete disregard to what their new powers and weaponizations does for the overall lore.

Force ghosts probably the biggest issue overall. Thank god they didn't know how to do this in The Old Republic age, that'd be a lot of force ghosts wrecking havoc ;D

Between Force Awakens and Marvel I was burned out a long time ago. But honestly I love what I’m hearing I’m glad they didn’t listen to morons and did the right thing. Even if the films aren’t made for me anymore. Sometimes it’s time to move on.

As long as the younger generation is happy and it makes a boat load of money. Gg

I’ll be seeing Cats because at least I’ve never seen it and can’t predict it.
    "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    I can't just discount the impact the Star Wars franchise had on my childhood, and got me interested in all different kinds of things (space, science, sci-fi etc). I was incredibly excited to see The Force Awakens, and probably saw it 3 times in the cinemas and saw Rogue One twice.

The Last Jedi felt like a betrayal of everything I had enjoyed before. I skipped Solo after that and still haven't seen it. It made me re-evaluate The Force Awakens and brought all it's flaws to the surface. I still really enjoy Rogue One probably because it's a standalone film that really can't be bastardized too much because of the point in time that it occupies, but I never thought the day would come when I have no interest in seeing a major Star Wars release
    As someone who feels almost exactly the same as you from the early movies to how TLJ felt like a betrayal, I would highly encourage you to see Solo. I definitely get why people wanted to punish Disney or are just fed up with Disney for what they put out, which they deserve, but I think Bob Igor wants to fix it, so I'm giving them a little benefit of the doubt. Also, I enjoyed Solo, so as a SW fan, you may just be depriving yourself by not watching it.

I'm willing to give Disney a pass so far because from what I can tell I think Igor understands the problems with 8 and is trying to fix it. Igor blames himself for being too hands off (like he is with Marvel, but Marvel works because Feige knows what's he doing), and I don't think Kennedy has a clue what she's doing, so she just let Johnson do whatever he wanted with Ep 8. Would have been nice if Kennedy made some semblance of an attempt to create a 3 movie story arc instead of just tossing it to the directors telling them they could do whatever they wanted.

Johnson said in interviews that he felt no creative limitation on Ep 8, which is troubling as that tells us the people above him had no hand in what he was doing, and Rian said he was making a "Star Wars genre film", to quote him. Which tells me he didn't understand he was making an actual "Star Wars" film. So to make his own story, he bent the SW story, plot, and characters to try to make them fit, sometimes trying to put round pegs into square holes. It didn't work. But I said, the fault of Disney was one of negligence not malice. Disney didn't drive the fiasco, they just allowed it to happen. Igor understands that and seems to be trying to rectify that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pozz View Post
    It was never gonna end truly well with JJ at the helm

But yes both JJ and RJ have shown a complete disregard to what their new powers and weaponizations does for the overall lore.
    Not to say it will go well with JJ at the helm, but his problem with SW seems to be the opposite of RJs problem. RJ says "screw the fans, we need to make a movie I like", where as JJ has piled in as much fan service as possible into his two films.

They both cause problems, but at least watching a JJ SW film, I don't feel like a sucker, like I do watching the RJ SW film. After EP 8 ended, I could feel RJ in the back of my head laughing at me calling me an idiot for paying to watch him piss all over EP 7 as well as everything else he figured I enjoyed about SW.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

The poll attached to this thread is exactly why audience reviews should be ignored. No matter how much you didn't like a film, it takes a LOT of bad to give it a 0 lol.

Movie was really, really bad. Like 3/10 bad. It's coming from someone that rather enjoyed Last Jedi (maybe because I tend to ignore bad stuff when I see good things as well).

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Not true, have you seen his Mandalorian reviews?
    He just say what his public demands. He praise FF14 all the time, do video about every single shop mount in WoW and somehow haven't notice that FF has like 5x bigger shop.

It's like current news media. If you're left, you only praise good stuff from your camp and mock only stupid stuff from opposite side, ignoring everything else (same on right camp). It's not like you believe it, you just know that views from people that want confirm their bias are better than from people that want figure out the truth.

Overall I think HvB is disgusting channel for many reasons (example: he made teary videos right after Heaven and TB deaths to get easy views when channel was almost dead) but it's too big off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by korijenkins View Post
    I don't think you even know why you didn't like TLJ. I think you, like almost everyone who bashes it day in and day out, points out flaws in that movie as a negative, while ignoring the same flaws in other movies in the franchise. Sad.
    What flaws are we talking about then? I mean..what people criticize here and totally 100% accept as ok in other films. Seems a bit of blanket statement.

I mean..people still say how stunning the visuals are and I sure as hell can and have watched movies on that basis alone (Transformers 3 comes to mind), but I also never went to see another one of them.

One overarching criticism is how the trilogy feels like it doesn't have a roadmap. One director makes his vision and sets thing sup. next director says "Nah..I don't like it and trashes it...then first director is left to salvage it. What other trilogy did that and people still like it?

I loved A new hope. Couldn't believe we got Empire..and Jedi was an ok end, but not overwhelmingly great as ANH or TESB. Phantom Menace had me excited for SW after all the many year. A severe disappointment. I hated Clone Wars, but kept lying to myself that I was the problem. After all it is Star Wars by George Lucas himself. Maybe I needed to re-watch it. And so I still went to see RotS. And even after that I remained a enough of a fan to go and see TFA.

Which just confirmed why JJ Abrams Super 8 and Star Trek never worked for me...and I fianlly, finally decided to follow my own advice that I kept giving people who just kept hating on WoW. I am not spending another dollar on Star wars as it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by korijenkins View Post
    The poll attached to this thread is exactly why audience reviews should be ignored. No matter how much you didn't like a film, it takes a LOT of bad to give it a 0 lol.
    Yeah..although I said I won't watch it, I agree that a 0 will just not be justified. Unless it would be a 0-5 rating system only WITHIN the universe of the 9 films...but even then it is pretty harsh.

Then again....you can find a reason why critic reviews should be ignored but at the end of the day, it has forever been a thing that films got reviewed by critics and people go see films on word of mouth basis. Forever and before the internet.

I wouldn't base my choice on just a score, but would need to read some arguments pro and con.

The movie tries to undo the bad karma from TLJ and succeeds only in being less stylistic and more muted than its predecessor. If anything, I hope Disney learned two things:

• Srat Wars fans hate change
    • Plan the fucking trilogy out ahead of time

As somebody who enjoyed the shit out of TLJ, I'm not sure what I'll think of the movie ahead of time but I will say my expectations heading into it have been heavily tempered.
    Last edited by otaXephon; 2019-12-19 at 08:49 AM.

Hey wow easy on spoilers guys.

I really care about these characters and want to see the film first chance I get and not when its online and downloadable.

The character arcs have been amazing and consistent. I cant wait to see the ending of these epic characters

I bet Finn's reaction yelling to the action is 10/10! And poe is wearing a scarf like Indiana jones in space!
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.