View Poll Results: Rate the movie STAR WARS™: The Rise of Skywalker™

Voters
626. You may not vote on this poll
  • ☆☆☆☆ [0]

    121 19.33%
  • ★☆☆☆ [1]

    94 15.02%
  • ★★☆☆ [2]

    153 24.44%
  • ★★★☆ [3]

    167 26.68%
  • ★★★★ [4]

    91 14.54%
  1. #4121
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    I mean, sure. Anakin's redemption was part of the point. But you don't get to decide what's important or not. Clearly Vader/Anakin killing Palpatine, the evil Emperor he put into power mattered to many people. Yes, him surviving doesn't ruin Anakin's redemption per se but it does take away from the satisfaction the original end of this story had and for what exactly? Just so they could milk one more old character?

    You can't tell me that Palpatine surviving Vader, Luke, Han and Leia doesn't detract from the end of Episode 6. They probably even knew this and decided to go for it anyways because they obviously had no idea where to go with these movies apart from reinvoking nostalgia with updated visuals. Watching this franchise cannibalize itself for some cheap moments is just disgusting.
    Wasn't like the whole point of the story about the prophesy that anakin was the chosen one who would bring balance to the force by ending the jedi and sith?

  2. #4122
    Pandaren Monk Voidism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    In the shadows!
    Posts
    1,974
    I have barely read the thread and I haven't watched the movie, but giving any movie a 0 seems a bit exaggerated.

  3. #4123
    The Lightbringer Sanguinerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Knowhere
    Posts
    3,054
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    Do they at least try to reckon it up with the chosen one prophesy?

    I mean the whole story of anakin/vader is him bringing balance to the force by ending the jedi and the sith.

    But then I guess the whole last 3 episodes haven't made much sense in that regard.

    Also where did the first order even come from. I haven't seen the latest one but is that addressed?
    They do not. Anakins story has been made useless. He didn't bring balance because Palpatine didn't die. The movie does say Luke WAS aware of this but didn't do anything either.

    And TFA just states from the ashes of the Empire the First Order rises or some shit, despite the Republic being around and in power. They just let it happen.

    What's also weird is why the First Order even bothered with Starkiller Base considering planet destroying cannons got fitted onto those new fancy Star Destroyers.

    It's all just shite.

  4. #4124
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    None of these people are Kathleen Kennedy, which is the point. Seriously, it's like blaming the Weinsteins for any of the flops they made. She is not a creative. She is an executive. She hired people who are generally considered competent, and she ushered the movie to release, while acting as its spokesperson. She may have some blame in not forcing a collaboration between the directors, but the directors knew each other and also didn't try and collaborate with each other.

    But blaming her for the shitty writing is hilarious, at best.
    She holds complete blame for not ensuring that a basic plot wasn't outlined for all three movies before the first even started shooting. You don't write a trilogy, specifically a trilogy that has 6 movies worth of continuity to consider, one at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

  5. #4125
    Quote Originally Posted by Akasha64 View Post
    Cause she considered Luke and Leia the closest thing to a mother/father to her after her parents died. They had a close connection (supposedly...the movies don't go far enough to show that though). It's weird, but justifiable.
    But you are wrong because Han was more of a father figure to her then Luke so if anything she should have taken his name. If you want to make the Leia argument that falls apart too because Leia was raised an Organa and married a Solo. Its a huge stretch that of those 3 names Skywalker is the one she would pick. Its a nonsense bullshit choice.

  6. #4126
    7,8 & 9 are uncanon to me. I don’t give a damn. Rebels was better than this. The Mandalorian. Rogue One. This movie was soooooo rushed. 2 hours and 22 minutes wasn’t enough. In fact they would need another movie to finish this off properly AND redeem the sequels. For the actors and actresses: I am so sorry. Especially to Daisy Ridley and Mark Hamil
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

  7. #4127
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinerd View Post
    They do not. Anakins story has been made useless. He didn't bring balance because Palpatine didn't die. The movie does say Luke WAS aware of this but didn't do anything either.

    And TFA just states from the ashes of the Empire the First Order rises or some shit, despite the Republic being around and in power. They just let it happen.

    What's also weird is why the First Order even bothered with Starkiller Base considering planet destroying cannons got fitted onto those new fancy Star Destroyers.

    It's all just shite.
    There's Alot of weirdness

    Like if you missed it you would think caurisant got blown up by star killer, but it was actualy horsian system, the new Republic moved capitols to distance its self from the legacy of the empire.

    But that begs the question why the new Republic was suddenly gone when the new Republic accounts for hundreds of worlds and still has its old capitol but now they were suddenly rebels again? Even though they destroyed starkiller base?

    Any one else get the feeling the story is really rushed?

  8. #4128
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    Do they at least try to reckon it up with the chosen one prophesy?

    I mean the whole story of anakin/vader is him bringing balance to the force by ending the jedi and the sith.

    But then I guess the whole last 3 episodes haven't made much sense in that regard.

    Also where did the first order even come from. I haven't seen the latest one but is that addressed?
    Rey is apparently the real chosen one and everything that came before doesn't matter.

    As far as the First Order its covered in the supplemental material. A small remnant of the most die hard parts of the empire retreated into unknown space and then just... built a massive military that was bigger and deadlier then what the original empire had. That's pretty much all we ever get told.

  9. #4129
    Quote Originally Posted by Fayolynn View Post
    But you are wrong because Han was more of a father figure to her then Luke so if anything she should have taken his name. If you want to make the Leia argument that falls apart too because Leia was raised an Organa and married a Solo. Its a huge stretch that of those 3 names Skywalker is the one she would pick. Its a nonsense bullshit choice.
    Except Skywalker's were the ones who trained her in the ways of the force. Leia was more of a mother to her than Han was a father as she spent very little time with Han. Leia clearly spent quite a bit of time being her master after Luke sacrificed himself to give the resistance time to escape.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    100:1 odds that he wont
    Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    Okay. I'll stop sharing my views.

  10. #4130
    Quote Originally Posted by Fayolynn View Post
    But you are wrong because Han was more of a father figure to her then Luke so if anything she should have taken his name. If you want to make the Leia argument that falls apart too because Leia was raised an Organa and married a Solo. Its a huge stretch that of those 3 names Skywalker is the one she would pick. Its a nonsense bullshit choice.
    Agreed. There have been leaks saying that this is a bullshit contrivance made by KK so that the movie title focuses on Rey. There is no evidence of this, but supposedly Anakin, Luke, Ben, and Rey all had a role in the final battle. All of Hayden's physical acting scenes were cut.

    Normally I wouldn't believe leaks like this, but they're bunched in with everything else being right. They filmed 4 hours of footage.
    Last edited by Goldielocks; 2019-12-20 at 03:20 AM.

  11. #4131
    The Lightbringer Sanguinerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Knowhere
    Posts
    3,054
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldielocks View Post
    All of Hayden's physical acting scenes were cut.
    Hell, he dodged a bullet with that one

  12. #4132
    On a side-note though, I got really giddy when I heard Ahsoka's voice in that moment Rey had the vision about all the Jedi being with her.
    Last edited by Akasha64; 2019-12-20 at 03:33 AM.

  13. #4133
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    She holds complete blame for not ensuring that a basic plot wasn't outlined for all three movies before the first even started shooting. You don't write a trilogy, specifically a trilogy that has 6 movies worth of continuity to consider, one at a time.
    The only bad decision in this regard was hiring three people (Treverrow was originally slated to write and direct IX) to make a continuous story when only one of them had talent.

    And it aint JJ.


  14. #4134
    Was better than number 7 and 8. Sadly the sequels have no overarching story (because 8 can't be considered a valid movie, thankfully they ignored everything that happened in 8, even Finn/Rose romance), Palpatine didn't really fit in (was alone more epic than all of 7+8 combined though), i mean, i assumed his body was a clone and this entire planet was a giant facility he build in his reign. But he was still an asspull. Epic, but asspull. Kylo kinda grew on me, but still his behaviour was kinda wtf: I mean, make up your mind about your goals. You gave up everything for power and when you had it you threw it away for Rey. Like pretty sure the First Order has plenty of hot women, stop thinking with your dick dude...
    Leia could stun Kylo the whole time? Would have been useful before. It's not that she was terribly important to the plot anyway, so her dead was not nearly early enough...
    And hux as the spy. Holy shit. That dude blew up 5 planets. He killed more (non clone) people than every other character in the star wars universe. And they forgive him for that because of what? His information? He did not even tell anything new. They intro told us that "Palpatines voice is heard throughout the galaxy", so everyone knew about it. The search for the sith holocron was useless, Kylo would have found Rey early enough and he enabled the passage to palpatine. So what justifies letting Hux live?
    And what's up with these Telepathy scenes in every movie? Why are Rey and Kylo the only one's that can do that? And why can they even do that?
    Holy shit. Every single dialog in the first half of the movie was boring as hell, like no character building, no additional information, just banter.
    But palpatines planet was cool. And the final battle: I shed a tear when the galaxy fleet arrives, mostly because my biggest fear was, that the final order fleet would never be useful.
    But palpatines death was pathetic. There is no real reason his granddaugther would be more powerful than him, considering he drained her and Kylo and then proceeded to annihilate a fleet of thousands of ships all by himself. Really sad, he should never lose a battle of willpower. His first death was unexpected betrayal, which was questionable but still okay. But this? Pathetic storywriting. Speaking of pathetic: Kylo and Rey's kiss. Like why? I sat in the theatre with closed eyes and went "please don't kiss, please don't kiss, pleeeeaaase. Oh god why???"
    I could go on, but that would be pointless.

    But what was the thing Finn wanted Rex to know? Did they just forget about that?

    So why was it better than 7 and 8? Palpatine. The fact that as a standalone movie, this would be much better. The battle at the end. The pulling the freighter out of the sky scene. The battle at the end again (tbh, it's been 4 hours since I watched the movie and I forget the first half already, the end end was just too epic and pathetic at the same time that the rest of the film is blurred already). And lastly the fact that you felt that they were learing from their mistakes with movie 7 and 8. Less stupid jokes, Rey is learning something at last, no feminist agenda and the movie had a coherent red thread.


    Se yeah, I would rate it as my number 5 favorite Star Wars movie. worse than original 3 and Revenge of the Sith, better than PM, AotC, 7 and 8. Right in the middle of the pack.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slybak View Post
    Like the kind of people for whom Harry Potter is too high-brow.

    Should have given the whole thing to Rian Johnson. What a waste.
    Funny enough after the Film my gf resumeed: "The film kinda reminded me of Harry Potter. With the occlumentus scenes from book 5 and the horcrux search".

    But no, Rian Johnson had his shot and that shot was so incredibly terrible that even a god of writing could not have written a satisfactory story for movie 9.

  15. #4135
    Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    But no, Rian Johnson had his shot and that shot was so incredibly terrible that even a god of writing could not have written a satisfactory story for movie 9.
    So why was it better than 7 and 8? Palpatine.
    lmao chow down on this pre-chewed garbage.

  16. #4136
    Quote Originally Posted by Slybak View Post
    The only bad decision in this regard was hiring three people (Treverrow was originally slated to write and direct IX) to make a continuous story when only one of them had talent.

    And it aint JJ.

    His success with Knives Out has no bearing on TLJ. He can make a damn good movie, that doesn't mean he can make a good Star Wars movie. At least not one that's tied into the core series.

  17. #4137
    Quote Originally Posted by Fayolynn View Post
    His success with Knives Out has no bearing on TLJ. He can make a damn good movie, that doesn't mean he can make a good Star Wars movie. At least not one that's tied into the core series.
    Except he made a good Star Wars movie.

  18. #4138
    Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    Se yeah, I would rate it as my number 5 favorite Star Wars movie. worse than original 3 and Revenge of the Sith, better than PM, AotC, 7 and 8. Right in the middle of the pack.
    Return of the Jedi is easily the 3rd worst movie in the franchise behind TLJ at 1 and TPM at 2. The cringe factor throughout the entire movie is astronomical

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Slybak View Post
    Except he made a good Star Wars movie.
    no, he didnt. That movie was so bad that almost everything wrong with Ep9 can be attributed to it.

  19. #4139
    Quote Originally Posted by Slybak View Post
    Except he made a good Star Wars movie.
    I wouldn't call a 43% fan rating on rotten tomatoes good.

  20. #4140
    Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    no, he didnt. That movie was so bad that almost everything wrong with Ep9 can be attributed to it.
    TROS tossed out everything in TLJ and yet TLJ is responsible for everything bad with TROS; which would be a lot, because TROS is uniformly terrible.

    Again, pre-chewed garbage is what you babies asked for and its what you got.

    Flaming isn't allowed. Infracted
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2019-12-20 at 04:15 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •