Poll: Rate the movie STAR WARS™: The Rise of Skywalker™

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    “Rey don’t be afraid of who you are”

“I’m Rey Skywalker”

Wtf
    Yeah that made no sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Much fans y'all are, he did what his grandpa did. Redeemed himself by self-sacrifice to save another. Vader 2.0. He always wanted to be like him, to finish what he started...

Details, they matter.
    As I said in my own similar point, I understand why they went the way they did; it's a clear echo of Vader.

I just felt that Ben Solo was an interesting character we didn't get enough of, and I thought the more-interesting part of his story would have begun there, if they'd chosen to go a different way. I don't think the way they went was "wrong" in any appreciable sense.

If they were going to continue forward from here, narrative-wise, I'm not sure Rey has much more to deal with. She knows her lineage, and where she belongs. She might develop new goals (reform the Jedi?) but you're starting from close to scratch. Ben Solo, had he been the one to survive, has a legacy of anger and fear and death to make up for. He's redeemed his soul, but earning the galaxy's forgiveness is a different story.

That's probably moot, because honestly, for the next major Star Wars arc, they probably want to jump at least 50 years and start "fresh", without any character legacies, no "I'm the son of so-and-so", not unless it's a minor character becoming the parent of a now-major one. "Where'd you learn to fly like that? "My grandpa was Wedge Antilles, hero of the Rebellion. He taught me to fly almost before I could walk." No Skywalkers, except as a title. No Solos. No C-3PO or R2-D2. No Millenium Falcon. Just wipe all that clean.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    No, I think he was unforgivable. He killed his own father, a ton of resistance soldiers, and is largely responsible for all the people on the planets destroyed by the Starkiller base. The same goes for Hux. That was one of the few things I really liked in the film.
    Particularly the "Oh, you're shot in the leg. Clearly you're the goddamned spy, Hux, Christ. We've read stories before, this is too fucking obvious." bit. I laughed out loud in the theater.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bright-Flower View Post
    Forgive me for wanting this trilogy to be a little less of a copy of the OT. He could have had a more interesting story going forward than just mirroring Vader.
    There's nothing to forgive, you can want what you want, but you get what you get. There's nothing to complain about. I wanted Rey to go dark and kill everybody becoming the Empress, but hey, I'm not complaining how it turned out. I didn't exactly fund this trilogy to have a right to complain about such things.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

There's nothing to forgive, you can want what you want, but you get what you get. There's nothing to complain about. I wanted Rey to go dark and kill everybody becoming the Empress, but hey, I'm not complaining how it turned out. I didn't exactly fund this trilogy to have a right to complain about such things.
    I'm allowed to critique a movie or lament what I see as a wasted opportunity. There's no rule saying you can only say positive things about a movie just because I didn't fund it. Nor is there any merit in trying to shut down discussion because 'we didn't make the movie.' I'm not demanding Disney remake the movie to my specifications, just pointing out a few things I wish had been different.

If you disagree with me that's fine, but just because you or I didn't fund the movie doesn't mean the movie is exempt from criticism by us.
    Last edited by Florena; 2019-12-23 at 07:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm allowed to critique a movie or lament what I see as a wasted opportunity. There's no rule saying you can only say positive things about a movie just because I didn't fund it. Nor is there any merit in trying to shut down discussion because 'we didn't make the movie.' I'm not demanding Disney remake the movie to my specifications, just pointing out a few things I wish had been different.
    There's a difference between complaining and criticizing. Criticize away. But you cannot criticize how Ben's story ended because right from episode 7 it was meant to end like that. It's a perfectly executed story arc. Complaining is pointless, lamenting - go ahead but what's the point anyways?

You expressed your wish - I explained why it was like it was. Was it bad? Just because it wasn't what you wanted? What's the critique here exactly?
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

There's a difference between complaining and criticizing. Criticize away. But you cannot criticize how Ben's story ended because right from episode 7 it was meant to end like that. It's a perfectly executed story arc. Complaining is pointless, lamenting - go ahead but what's the point anyways?

You expressed your wish - I explained why it was like it was. Was it bad? Just because it wasn't what you wanted? What's the critique here exactly?
    Somethig being intentional doesn't give it a free pass. For what it was, they handled it fine, sure. I get what they were going for. But I would have found the story more engaging with less direct parallels to the original trilogy in general. Doesn't make us 'less' of fans just because we wish it'd gone in another direction instead of echoing the OT so much. (THe 'Much fans yall are' comment was why I responded to you in the first place. It's fine if you disagree with me, but there's no reason we can't express opinions about the trilogy of how we'd rather things have gone, just because we didn't fund it.)
    Last edited by Florena; 2019-12-23 at 07:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somethig being intentional doesn't give it a free pass. For what it was, they handled it fine, sure. I get what they were going for. But I would have found the story more engaging with less direct parallels to the original trilogy in general. Doesn't make us 'less' of fans just because we wish it'd gone in another direction instead of echoing the OT so much. (THe 'Much fans yall are' comment was why I responded to you in the first place. It's fine if you disagree with me, but there's no reason we can't express opinions about the trilogy of how we'd rather things have gone, just because we didn't fund it.)
    I wasn't replying just to you, hence the "y'all", your's just was the last post about it. There are people who didn't even follow that story arc and then bitch about Ben dying.

I enjoyed it. There is no way to please everyone. They could have done better on some explanations. The only thing I wanted to rewind and hear is what Palpatine said was the last time he had completed that. Also, what was Finn trying to say? Loved the small robot hacker.

For myself it was average and yet the best of the last three. A few issues I had:
    • The idea of Hellraiser palpatines return for me makes Vaders sacrifice so much less of a meaningful move. It brings down the whole moment for me.
    • Kill me Rey so I can be inside you as the new empress. Nah, not going to do it but then again, sure lets do it because I love a good plot hole. It's as if Rey didn't have anything to do with his death so hand wave that part and say he killed himself.
    • Palpatine had a kid and I guess He/She was kept a secret and then their child kept a secret. The consort/wife of palpatine was kept a secret. No one gets any importance.
    • the story of Rey and Klyo made little sense as far as them being so connected or that kiss. They were more like brother and sister. (Luke and Leia did it so make Rey and Kylo do it as well. That was a WTF moment and not in a great way.
    • The whole healing transfer of life like it was a gift on Oprah. You get some life, you get some life, I'll take some life form you both. Just uncreative when you think he could have taken the life of anyone or any other force user over the years.
    • Where have the knights of Ren been all along? Just make something up I guess and hope it sicks for you as they were chumps anyway.
    • Finn and that all important thing he had to say but never says. Make a guess audience and hope for the best while Rey is kissing someone else that has been trying to kill her for the past 2 films. My bad, kylo is dead but Ben is alive and kissing.
    • Hey C3PO- make a big sacrifice but don't worry we'll just scratch it off the list of worthless buildup and tear-down moments we have making what you did a lot less meaningful and kind of a joke. Psych! Just kidding, no big deal.
    • Chewy dead! Oh no! Psych! Just kidding, no big deal. Way to much of that happening for my liking.

Overall just an average SW movie with nothing all that amazing but the special effects. A number of interesting watchable moments but overall undone with poor story.
    Last edited by quras; 2019-12-23 at 08:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

“I’m Rey Skywalker”

Wtf
    To be fair, keeping the name 'Palpatine' would be like keeping the name 'Hitler'.

I give a 1 star in the poll for the cinematography or photography or whatever is called because it's good (like in TLJ). The movie itself suffers for trying to fix Ep.8 and end the trilogy at the same time. I will not repeat what has ben told many times the last pages, the problem with Ep.9 it's the mess created in Ep.8.

Do we have any idea when the sith dagger was forged? Having this dagger perfectly forged into the shape of the death star wreckage was......just wow.

“I’m Rey Skywalker”

Wtf
    The weirdest part is Rey had 4 names to choose from. Palpatine, Solo, Organa and Skywalker. It's obvious why she didnt choose Palpatine, that doesnt need to be explained. Of the three names remaining she picked the one that she had the least connection to.

Han [B]Solo[/B] was the closest thing she has ever had to a father figure. He took her in and offered her a space as a crew member on the Falcon.

Ben [B]Solo[/B] is the person she identified the most with I the galaxy. And supposedly they had feelings for each other.

Leia [B]Organa[/B] (possibly solo) was her Jedi master (despite Leia having no training per E7 and E8.

Luke [B]Skywalker[/B] was an old bitter man she lived on an Island with for a few days who refused to train her and was the one responsible for Ben's fall.

Sure, Leia and Ben were Skywalkers by blood but neither went by that name. Her choice of last names is bizarre and comes off forced so that Disney can continue to bank on the Skywalker name.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do we have any idea when the sith dagger was forged? Having this dagger perfectly forged into the shape of the death star wreckage was......just wow.
    They don't really say, but;
    1> The Force is magic. Prophecy happens. So it being old doesn't even work against this.
    2> Was likely made by the one guy because he wanted to leave the wayfinder where it was, but be able to find it again. So in the last few decades, so it's not unreasonable that it's accurate.

Honestly, my bigger issue is just with the way they handled the path to Exegol. "You need a Sith Wayfinder, and there are two, and only two. Or, y'know, the ship records of anyone who's been there, like this one bounty hunter. Or any of the many people who'd have had to be travelling back and forth so the Emperor could staff and supply that fleet he was building."

Rey calling herself Skywalker in the end is one of those things thst seem to convince me more thsn pthers that the writers care more about merchandising than theme.

Earlier in the movie someone asks her last name, which she doesnt know.
    This is clearly framed as a tragic moment, she wants a sense,of belonging.

Now at the end a good writer might have her repeat that she jas no last ne, or that she hasnt decided yet. Implying that she hascome to peace with her life as an outcast, because no matter if she has a last name, she still has friends that care about her.

Though i guess that woulf have rewuired too much thinking that could have been replaced with ecplosions and fansdrvice.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

It's an interesting movie that was poorly made. The breakneck pacing and endless mcguffins really hurt the story they were trying to tell. Still, it did a decent job of resolving the botched abortion complications from TLJ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    making the EU non canon was the best thing they could have done for the franchise the EU was a massive amount of baggage most of which was awful. any thing of value they can bring back into canon which they have been doing.
    I'd accept that more if they then didn't try to re-invent the EU themselves.

Empire having stashes of superweapons? Check.
    Luke's Jedi trainee turning evil? Check.
    Palpatine coming back? Check.
    Not in the main sagas, but Admiral Thrawn? Check.

I'm probably skipping over a lot more since I didn't make a deep dive in the EU myself, but still, Disney is re-using a lot of elements that were present in the EU in the first place.

Rey should probably be a Solo for the same reason Han Solo is a Solo. Because some guy thought it was a great last name to put on a recruitment form!

Seriously though she should've said "nobody" and been smiley about it, it would've been a great reversal to the throne room scene in TLJ.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

7+ Year Old Account
    Nofc there´s nothing to complain about, just consume don´t think and lap everything up they serve you and don´t forget to say please and thank you...

You know you sound like the people from that movie where the aliens had them brainwashed to just consume without a thought...

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    They don't really say, but;
    1> The Force is magic. Prophecy happens. So it being old doesn't even work against this.
    2> Was likely made by the one guy because he wanted to leave the wayfinder where it was, but be able to find it again. So in the last few decades, so it's not unreasonable that it's accurate.

Honestly, my bigger issue is just with the way they handled the path to Exegol. "You need a Sith Wayfinder, and there are two, and only two. Or, y'know, the ship records of anyone who's been there, like this one bounty hunter. Or any of the many people who'd have had to be travelling back and forth so the Emperor could staff and supply that fleet he was building."
    That’s another thing I had an issue with. Where did Palp get all of the people and materials to create this massive fleet, staff it, and provide them with uniforms.