Poll: Rate the movie STAR WARS™: The Rise of Skywalker™

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    I mean... People complained that RDR2 was a SJW/Feminist game... I think these days, that word has pretty much lost ALL it's meaning.

Another one that gets hilariously overused is "Mary Sue". One of the many insults lobbed at Rey (and by extension, Disney Wars) that collapse the moment you actually look at it.
    They brought the Rey being a Mary Sue on themselves. Every fucking thing in that first movie is just shit that was taken from the originals and "improved" on. The new new death star has a magic missile laser that shoots multiple planets at once, Rey is poorer than Luke was as well as a better pilot and seemingly better at the force, the new R2-D2 is even smaller and cuter than the original, the new Yoda is older and quirkier than Yoda, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    They brought the Rey being a Mary Sue on themselves. Every fucking thing in that first movie is just shit that was taken from the originals and "improved" on. The new new death star has a magic missile laser that shoots multiple planets at once, Rey is poorer than Luke was as well as a better pilot and seemingly better at the force, the new R2-D2 is even smaller and cuter than the original, the new Yoda is older and quirkier than Yoda, etc....
    Yeah, and then in the second movie, she didn't do anything except move some rocks at the very end... Wait, she fought Snoke's guards and didn't get roflstomped. Nevermind. MARY SUE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    I'll go see it, didn't hate the last movie like every other butt hurt fan did. I liked Grumpy Luke, though I dislike purple hair lady, and most of the gambling planet sub plot.
    you don't have to be a butt hurt fan to dislike that movie, you just have to use your brain a little to realize it doesn't make any sense and its a clusterfuck of a movie even if its fantasy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soimu View Post
    you don't have to be a butt hurt fan to dislike that movie, you just have to use your brain a little to realize it doesn't make any sense and its a clusterfuck of a movie even if its fantasy
    Arguably nothing makes sense in Star Wars. You either like the fantasy of it or you don't. That goes for every single movie in the franchise.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    This honestly pissed me off and confused me to no end. Why does that cataclysmic, galaxy changing event seem to just get brushed over, half my friends in the cinema were asking what planets those were because they barely explained it.
    Because none of it was properly explained or introduced in the movie and therefor it had no meaning to the viewer. It's incredibly bad storytelling.

Then again, the destruction of Alderaan wasn't much better (though it was at least properly communicated through the lens of characters whereas The Force Awakens gave very little context).

10+ Year Old Account
    They brought the Rey being a Mary Sue on themselves.
    That’s the thing... she’s shown to be a decent pilot, but not the best (Poe has far more impressive feats), she’s shown in one saber fight vs a heavily injured and conflicted Kylo and only wins because plot armour, I mean... shit, Finn did almost as well as her with a Saber, and he’s not even a fucking Jedi. Her force powers are shown to be average at best.

Her only REALLY impressive feat is resisting Kylo’s probe, and then mind tricking James Bond. But again, Canonically, mind probes can be resisted by anyone with strong enough will, Jedi or not, and Stormtroopers aren’t exactly shown to have the strongest brains... it’s not like she tricked Kylo/Snoke or anyone with training.

IMO, Luke’s destruction of the Death Star is a far more impressive feat, in both flight AND force use. Especially considering he did it just using the force, not a targeting computer.

In TLJ her force powers are shown to be perfectly balanced with Kylo’s and her Saber/combat skills are shown to be WAY below his, when he’s at full power.

She’s strong, sure... but she’s the freakin lead, of course she is... she’s NOT a Mary Sue, though.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

That’s the thing... she’s shown to be a decent pilot, but not the best (Poe has far more impressive feats), she’s shown in one saber fight vs a heavily injured and conflicted Kylo and only wins because plot armour, I mean... shit, Finn did almost as well as her with a Saber, and he’s not even a fucking Jedi. Her force powers are shown to be average at best.
    It's not even that. For most of the fight, Kylo was toying with her just as easily as he was pushing Finn around. She didn't beat him through any special martial prowess, she beat him because she's a more powerful force user. The fact that he had just been shot in the gut by a weapon that was shown to basically be a fucking grenade launcher throughout the rest of the movie, is just icing on the cake... Hell, she might not even be any more powerful in the force than he is. It could just as easily be that he was exerting his power to hold his body together the same way he was holding that blaster bolt in the air during his interaction with Poe at the beginning of the movie.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2019-04-16 at 11:40 AM.

Dude 1: Points out that people don't understand what Mary Sue means but just throw the term around.

Dude 2: Proves Dude 1's point.

Terribad actor that plays rey aswell
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Her only REALLY impressive feat is resisting Kylo’s probe, and then mind tricking James Bond. But again, Canonically, mind probes can be resisted by anyone with strong enough will, Jedi or not, and Stormtroopers aren’t exactly shown to have the strongest brains... it’s not like she tricked Kylo/Snoke or anyone with training.

IMO, Luke’s destruction of the Death Star is a far more impressive feat, in both flight AND force use. Especially considering he did it just using the force, not a targeting computer.

In TLJ her force powers are shown to be perfectly balanced with Kylo’s and her Saber/combat skills are shown to be WAY below his, when he’s at full power.

She’s strong, sure... but she’s the freakin lead, of course she is... she’s NOT a Mary Sue, though.
    Difference is that she is all that without a reason to be except that she is supposed to be. Which is the definition of being a mary sue. She being the one isn't enough to do what she does without any training. Both Luke and anakin receives training to develop their natural attunement with the force and they've used them without knowing that they could. So her mind controlling someone is forgivable, but defeating a trained force user just because makes her a Mary sue.

Even if we argue semantics in if she is one or not, major thing why I didn't like the new star wars as much is that she is a natural in everything she faces. There's 0 tension because you know whatever new threat she will just win. If they actually made her fight for it a bit, like Luke losing his hand which shows the arrigance he had from being the one and wanting to kill Darth Vader to soon. He payed for being inexperienced. Can't remember Rey having to go through much. Most difficult thing for her have been to get Luke to train her.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2019-04-16 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shibito View Post
    Terribad actor that plays rey aswell
    Eh, I never had a problem with the acting. My problem was with the writing of the character.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Anti-Trekker's expert breakdown:

https://youtu.be/228MAOMaCKs
    That’s the same guy who said rey was a sith because she looked angry in a freeze frame. With such a shaky Grasp on starwars knowledge I couldn’t call his break down expert.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    It's not even that. For most of the fight, Kylo was toying with her just as easily as he was pushing Finn around. She didn't beat him through any special martial prowess, she beat him because she's a more powerful force user. The fact that he had just been shot in the gut by a weapon that was shown to basically be a fucking grenade launcher throughout the rest of the movie, is just icing on the cake... Hell, she might not even be any more powerful in the force than he is. It could just as easily be that he was exerting his power to hold his body together the same way he was holding that blaster bolt in the air during his interaction with Poe at the beginning of the movie.
    It seems unlikly he was holding him self together with the force, after he pushes rey into a tree we don’t see him do any thing else with the force and when he try’s he can’t even pull a saber. Between his injury’s and what snooker says in TLJ about how split he was it seems likly that he was to divided to really tap into either the light or dark side of the force.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    Dude 1: Points out that people don't understand what Mary Sue means but just throw the term around.

Dude 2: Proves Dude 1's point.
    I never said she was a mary sue good reading comprehension.

I was saying that because she and everything else in the film is "better" than the stuff in the originals I can see how people would call her a Mary Sue not that she is one. If she had been the only thing that didn't get a boost 1. it would have made her a worthless protagonist and 2. people would have probably seen it as sexist.

I blame everything wrong with the disney starwars trilogy on JJ and whoever else helped write/direct it. The acting, cgi, etc was all fine but even the majority of the stuff bad about the last jedi had to do with Rian Johnson trying to take the shit JJ gave him and turning it into a film that entertained but still left enough for a third film.

The mind tricking thing is even more impressive now that troopers are no longer clones.

I never said she was a mary sue good reading comprehension.
    So when you wrote "They brought the Rey being a Mary Sue on themselves.", are we supposed to assume you're being sarcastic here? This sentence is you literally saying Rey is a Mary Sue.

But sure, claim I didn't understand.

I was saying that because she and everything else in the film is "better" than the stuff in the originals I can see how people would call her a Mary Sue not that she is one. If she had been the only thing that didn't get a boost 1. it would have made her a worthless protagonist and 2. people would have probably seen it as sexist.
    If this was your point, you should have made that clear. It is a strange point that doesn't hold up really, but that's a different story.

So when you wrote "They brought the Rey being a Mary Sue on themselves.", are we supposed to assume you're being sarcastic here? This sentence is you literally saying Rey is a Mary Sue.

But sure, claim I didn't understand.

If this was your point, you should have made that clear. It is a strange point that doesn't hold up really, but that's a different story.
    Well in English you are supposed to read the rest of a paragraph to understand the meaning of it.

How doesn't it hold up. If someone sees a warhammer character brought into the warcraft universe and sees the suddenly op mother fucker running around with a massive horse cock and smashing planets with it, someone who believes mary sues are just massively overpowered beings would just assume the character is a Mary Sue. But if you look at it from its own universe it would just be a normal guy. This is what occurs with Rey if you compare her to the past films but if you look at her just within the jj starwars films she doesn't seem out of place.

And if you are going to keep bitching about what people say maybe explain what you mean and prove it instead of being a snide little dickhead.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Well in English you are supposed to read the rest of a paragraph to understand the meaning of it.

How doesn't it hold up. If someone sees a warhammer character brought into the warcraft universe and sees the suddenly op mother fucker running around with a massive horse cock and smashing planets with it, someone who believes mary sues are just massively overpowered beings would just assume the character is a Mary Sue. But if you look at it from its own universe it would just be a normal guy. This is what occurs with Rey if you compare her to the past films but if you look at her just within the jj starwars films she doesn't seem out of place.

And if you are going to keep bitching about what people say maybe explain what you mean and prove it instead of being a snide little dickhead.
    Even within the originals and prequels rey isn’t that much further ahead then luke/anakin. In the prequels we learn that being a Jedi take years and years and they padawans start at like 5. Anakain starts to late to be a Jedi but is the most powerful around. Luke then starts even older and gets to the level where he can match Vader in like a year. Sure rey has had less time then both of them but we have only Ever seen her do one thing of note with the mind trick. Rey is a powerhouse as she match’s kylo but within the movies she has only shown one force ability that raises any questions.

Says the guy who has now tossed condescending insults at me two posts in a row. Ya, whatever pal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    Because none of it was properly explained or introduced in the movie and therefor it had no meaning to the viewer. It's incredibly bad storytelling.

Then again, the destruction of Alderaan wasn't much better (though it was at least properly communicated through the lens of characters whereas The Force Awakens gave very little context).
    The casual viewer has no idea why Alderaan was destoryed even if it mentioned in the movie. Hosian and Alderaan are given the exact same treatment. Both were targetted to destroy the Senate of their era. Both barely mentioned ever again in their trilogies.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    He also didn't want to kill her. Had he wanted to she would have been dead when he had her on th ropes.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Did not expect to stumble on a reason to play Battlefront 2 in this thread. Is the first one canon as well?

- - - Updated - - -

TLJ is about as feminist as the sandwich I had from Subway today. I guess if you look hard enough, you can find your alleged "feminist bullshit" in both.
    I mean kennedy doing the shoots with the feminist shirt, pushing women that were fucking awfull for thier roles into so many spots kindof spelled it out. Purple haired bitch was awfull. And the asian chick that got mad that everyone said she was shit at acting was terrible for her role as well. Id say half of that was kennedy and the other half was just a fuck awfull storyline.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    well good news its still there as well as what id say is superior new eu that they are making outside of the movies.
    Yeh no, the tv shows for children are exactly that and the books dont even remotely measure up.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean... People complained that RDR2 was a SJW/Feminist game... I think these days, that word has pretty much lost ALL it's meaning.

Another one that gets hilariously overused is "Mary Sue". One of the many insults lobbed at Rey (and by extension, Disney Wars) that collapse the moment you actually look at it.
    I mean she is, Suddenly some chick whos never used the force does what padawans trained for years to control, same with fin, fucking idiot stormtrooper magically breaks indoctrination thats been there from birth and developes a personality? and then is able to hold off a sith apprentice? What the fuck? the fight with snoke?