Page 88 of 94 FirstFirst ...
38
78
86
87
88
89
90
... LastLast
  1. #1741
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I think you just made the case for the lightsaber. How many Sith can tank, disarm, deflect, take control of blaster and blaster bolts? Pretty much all of them at one point or another.

    Whatever rule in SW saws it is harder to take someone's saber from their hand, so a saber is a Jedi's best bet against a Sith. Also a Sith like Sidious or collector like Grievous would respect the terms of close combat just to say they beat a Jedi at its own game. You're hope of killing a Sith is a sword fight, I guess.
    One blaster bolt, yeah. Far as I know these can fire more than one bullet every five seconds, unless these things are somehow worse than real-life revolvers. Plus, Force accelerate the bolts or something.

    To say nothing of the fact that it's curious that Force users can stop blaster bolts in midair but not, ya know, lightsabers. One's a projectile propelled by a firearm, the other only has the strength of a person behind it. Ah well, the perils of overanalyzing Star Wars.

  2. #1742
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Also because sci-fi/fantasy always does this with super-powered people.

    Why doesn't a character that can teleport or have super speed just carry a knife and shank everyone in the 0.001 seconds it takes them to move from point A to point B? Why can't Tracer have a gun that can actually shoot people? Why doesn't Wolverine just carry a gun so he doesn't have to constantly be charging at enemies 50 feet away who are shooting at him?

    Like you said, it's all just written for "coolness" as opposed to what would actually make sense.
    To be fair there's also the psychological impact: some crazy fucker wearing brown or red robes and swinging around a sword just jumped 20 feet, blocked/dodged every blaster shot at them, and hacked the rest of your platoon to pieces. I DARE you to try and honestly tell me you wouldn't shit yourself in fear if that happened to you.
    Do not ask questions for which you do not want the answers.

  3. #1743
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I admit when Kylo stopped a blaster bolt in midair that was badass.
    Not to mention its a natural advancement of what we've seen on screen with Vader blocking one with his hand. It's a shame, the trilogy started off so well (until they introduced death star 2.0 and a bunch of other resource issues...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy
    People just want to be bullies without facing any sort of consequences or social fallout for being a bully. If you declare X as a racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. person you can say or do whatever you want to them, ignoring the fact that they are a human.

  4. #1744
    The Insane PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Upside Down
    Posts
    18,886
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    One blaster bolt, yeah. Far as I know these can fire more than one bullet every five seconds, unless these things are somehow worse than real-life revolvers. Plus, Force accelerate the bolts or something.

    To say nothing of the fact that it's curious that Force users can stop blaster bolts in midair but not, ya know, lightsabers. One's a projectile propelled by a firearm, the other only has the strength of a person behind it. Ah well, the perils of overanalyzing Star Wars.
    Jedis casually block a hail of blaster fire with their little light sticks in the prequels. Doing it with the force should be no problem. But then in RotS the Clone shoot down hundreds of Jedi like its nothing.

    Yes, SW is dumb. Probably why its so popular.

  5. #1745
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The "look at my spinny glow stick" bullshit started with the prequels.
    Shut your goddamn mouth, Gene!

  6. #1746
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Jedis casually block a hail of blaster fire with their little light sticks in the prequels. Doing it with the force should be no problem. But then in RotS the Clone shoot down hundreds of Jedi like its nothing.

    Yes, SW is dumb. Probably why its so popular.
    I wouldn't as far as to say that it's popular specifically because it is dumb, and more that it never lets logic, sense and consistency get in the way of the Rule of Cool. As an example the MCU does that as well but, apart from the time travel in Endgame, it's never really nitpicked about, probably because the movies themselves don't even try to justify all the bullshit happening. Whereas Star Wars is outright fantasy in space with some trappings of sci-fi, a genre where more consistency is expected.

  7. #1747
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Those are people who suck at Star Warsing, then. I imagine those same people think the Duel of the Fates between Maul and Qui Gon/Obi Wan was masterful.
    There's been some revisionist history with the lightsaber duels. In 1999, 2002, and 2005, fans didn't cry that the duels were over-choreographed. They in fact preferred them over the stilted fighting in the original trilogy. I think in another 20 years, opinion will swing back around and decide the prequel duels were better than BOTH the original trilogy and sequel trilogy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I want the ruins of K'aresh for 9.0 as I envision it as Netherstorm on steroids. A broken, shattered world. Eco-domes are stuck on various chunks to protect flora & fauna. I imagine a K'aresh ocean & maybe some islands contained in an eco dome or a snow-capped peak with some jungle valleys in another. Flesh version of Ethereals that never got altered. Space platforms as in Starcraft. Just a totally fantastic tileset & theme that I'd be very keen to explore. They could do some wild things.

  8. #1748
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    There's been some revisionist history with the lightsaber duels. In 1999, 2002, and 2005, fans didn't cry that the duels were over-choreographed. They in fact preferred them over the stilted fighting in the original trilogy. I think in another 20 years, opinion will swing back around and decide the prequel duels were better than BOTH the original trilogy and sequel trilogy.
    Only if Jar Jar comes in episode 9 and reveals himself as the one True Sith behind it all.

  9. #1749
    Lightsaber fights were better in the prequels, u have to be insane to think ep04-06 were good...
    Obi-Wan vs Darth Vader has to be the shittiest duel in star wars history...

    Like watching two senior citizens fighting over the last pudding...

    While DV didn't duel anybody in Rogue One, he wasn't a stiff slow zombie...

    Ep07-09 is just wild shitty swinging like Luke did in Return of the Jedi when he got angry...

    U can like rey, kylo ren, luke, obi-wan etc all u like, but they are just some actors while the guy who did darth maul is an irl martial artist...

  10. #1750
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Lightsaber fights were better in the prequels, u have to be insane to think ep04-06 were good...
    Obi-Wan vs Darth Vader has to be the shittiest duel in star wars history...

    Like watching two senior citizens fighting over the last pudding...

    While DV didn't duel anybody in Rogue One, he wasn't a stiff slow zombie...

    Ep07-09 is just wild shitty swinging like Luke did in Return of the Jedi when he got angry...

    U can like rey, kylo ren, luke, obi-wan etc all u like, but they are just some actors while the guy who did darth maul is an irl martial artist...
    I don't like the lightsaber duels were getting in the sequel trilogy either and I think time will be unkind to them. People will look back in 20 years and think "wow they really seem like forgettable fights". George Lucas did a lot of things wrong in the prequels but he fully understood the bread and butter was a great laser sword battle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I want the ruins of K'aresh for 9.0 as I envision it as Netherstorm on steroids. A broken, shattered world. Eco-domes are stuck on various chunks to protect flora & fauna. I imagine a K'aresh ocean & maybe some islands contained in an eco dome or a snow-capped peak with some jungle valleys in another. Flesh version of Ethereals that never got altered. Space platforms as in Starcraft. Just a totally fantastic tileset & theme that I'd be very keen to explore. They could do some wild things.

  11. #1751
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Lightsaber fights were better in the prequels, u have to be insane to think ep04-06 were good...
    Obi-Wan vs Darth Vader has to be the shittiest duel in star wars history...

    Like watching two senior citizens fighting over the last pudding...

    While DV didn't duel anybody in Rogue One, he wasn't a stiff slow zombie...

    Ep07-09 is just wild shitty swinging like Luke did in Return of the Jedi when he got angry...

    U can like rey, kylo ren, luke, obi-wan etc all u like, but they are just some actors while the guy who did darth maul is an irl martial artist...
    And Episode 3 was the bestest because it had lava in it!

  12. #1752
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    And Episode 3 was the bestest because it had lava in it!
    Bad movies, but good fighting n coordination..

    Ep04-09 is like fighters forgetting technique, anticipation, strategy, like a boxing match where's there's only wild swung hay-makers, which should earn loss with blocking n swift counter-strikes..

    Luke should have lost to Vader the moment he got angry n started swinging wildly...hell, a padawan would have blocked that shit..

    This is how ep04-09 duels should always end...


    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I don't like the lightsaber duels were getting in the sequel trilogy either and I think time will be unkind to them. People will look back in 20 years and think "wow they really seem like forgettable fights". George Lucas did a lot of things wrong in the prequels but he fully understood the bread and butter was a great laser sword battle.
    Word.

  13. #1753
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Bad movies, but good fighting n coordination..

    Ep04-09 is like fighters forgetting technique, anticipation, strategy, like a boxing match where's there's only wild swung hay-makers, which should earn loss with blocking n swift counter-strikes..

    Well if you prefer "this" instead...

    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post

  14. #1754
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Well if you prefer "this" instead...
    I can feel the hate in you, young padawan.

    By no means are ep01-03 perfect, but lightyears better fighting.

  15. #1755
    Titan Daemos daemonium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    12,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    One blaster bolt, yeah. Far as I know these can fire more than one bullet every five seconds, unless these things are somehow worse than real-life revolvers. Plus, Force accelerate the bolts or something.

    To say nothing of the fact that it's curious that Force users can stop blaster bolts in midair but not, ya know, lightsabers. One's a projectile propelled by a firearm, the other only has the strength of a person behind it. Ah well, the perils of overanalyzing Star Wars.
    Force users can actually stop a saber in both the old and current canon though like a blaster you need to be rather powerful to do so.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Jedis casually block a hail of blaster fire with their little light sticks in the prequels. Doing it with the force should be no problem. But then in RotS the Clone shoot down hundreds of Jedi like its nothing.

    Yes, SW is dumb. Probably why its so popular.
    Not all Jedi have the same powerlevel and we have only seen higher up Jedi/sith stop blasters. It’s likely that many just don’t have the power to do it.

    The clone betrayal is also rather sensible in how many of the Jedi die some are shot in the back and even the ones that do deflect some bolts proabbly weren’t expecting there whole squad to open up on them.

  16. #1756
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    I can feel the hate in you, young padawan.

    By no means are ep01-03 perfect, but lightyears better fighting.
    Agreed, fighting was much cooler - both lightsaber actions, gun fights and space fights

    Also the scenry was much better - we saw Naboo, Coruscant, chaomeno, every film had some incredible vistas...

    The rest just tend to show you broken down place,s deserts and swaps, so bland

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Well if you prefer "this" instead...
    That was funny

  17. #1757
    The prequel fights had no emotional resonance, just flash. That easily makes them the worst fights in the series. They never hit anything, and when they did, the lightsabers practically bounced off each other. What we saw in the OT was this idea that the lightsaber was a knight's weapon. Heavy, two-handed, taking years of mastery to even get a downstroke right. When Vader and Obi Wan clashed, or when Luke and Vader clashed, you felt the weight of the blades against each other. The blades actually seemed to flex, and bend under the weight of the stroke.

    Not to mention that the emotional impact behind those fights - mentor vs apprentice, son vs father - far outweighed anything the prequels did. Even the fight between Anakin and Obi Wan in episode 3 felt flat, but that had more to do with Anakin's ridiculous heel turn, Hayden's poor acting, and the dumbass amounts of CGI trying to make up for a fight which should have been simple, close-shot, between two men who considered each other brothers.

    The new trilogy has tried to compromise on these two differing views. They have some of the flash of the prequels, especially from Rey as the movies go along, but the weightiness of Kylo's pommeled lightsaber. When their sabers clash, you can feel the impact. And there is always some sort of emotion there, especially from Adam Driver, because he's probably the best actor in the damn trilogy right now. You can feel Kylo Ren's rage, in his fight with Luke.

    Imagine thinking the ep 1 snooze fest between Maul and the Jedi was a better lightsaber duel than Obi Wan and Vader in ANH. That's like comparing Transformers to the Shawshank Redemption.

  18. #1758
    The Lightbringer Frontenac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Québec, Québec
    Posts
    3,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Ah well, the perils of overanalyzing Star Wars.
    Exactly. It's like overanalysing the Arthurian Legends. In the end, it just spoils the fun.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

  19. #1759
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    59,863
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    The prequel fights had no emotional resonance, just flash. That easily makes them the worst fights in the series. They never hit anything, and when they did, the lightsabers practically bounced off each other. What we saw in the OT was this idea that the lightsaber was a knight's weapon. Heavy, two-handed, taking years of mastery to even get a downstroke right. When Vader and Obi Wan clashed, or when Luke and Vader clashed, you felt the weight of the blades against each other. The blades actually seemed to flex, and bend under the weight of the stroke.

    Not to mention that the emotional impact behind those fights - mentor vs apprentice, son vs father - far outweighed anything the prequels did. Even the fight between Anakin and Obi Wan in episode 3 felt flat, but that had more to do with Anakin's ridiculous heel turn, Hayden's poor acting, and the dumbass amounts of CGI trying to make up for a fight which should have been simple, close-shot, between two men who considered each other brothers.

    The new trilogy has tried to compromise on these two differing views. They have some of the flash of the prequels, especially from Rey as the movies go along, but the weightiness of Kylo's pommeled lightsaber. When their sabers clash, you can feel the impact. And there is always some sort of emotion there, especially from Adam Driver, because he's probably the best actor in the damn trilogy right now. You can feel Kylo Ren's rage, in his fight with Luke.

    Imagine thinking the ep 1 snooze fest between Maul and the Jedi was a better lightsaber duel than Obi Wan and Vader in ANH. That's like comparing Transformers to the Shawshank Redemption.
    The thing is, if I go back and watch the Prequel fights, they look like garbage. If I go back and watch something like, say, the Captain America v. Winter Soldier fight in in CA:TWS, or anything in the John Wick films, they hold up to repeat viewings. They took those fights seriously, and the characters act like they should. In CA:TWS, pretty much every single move Bucky makes is a killing strike, if Steve doesn't block or dodge it. The actor's not aiming to the side or above Chris Evans' head; they practiced to do the moves RIGHT. And Steve is mostly focusing on defense and disabling. It's a distinction you can SEE, just in how they carry themselves in the fight. It looks natural, with everyone acting more or less as they should.

    The prequel fights are dances with glowsticks, where they never strike at their enemy, just their weapon. They look completely fucking ridiculous.

    It's why we got this kind of bullshit;


  20. #1760
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The prequel fights are dances with glowsticks, where they never strike at their enemy, just their weapon. They look completely fucking ridiculous.

    It's why we got this kind of bullshit;

    What are you talking about ? They are obviously building momentum to make a powerful strike. /s

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •