Poll: Rate the movie STAR WARS™: The Rise of Skywalker™

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Question:
    How mAny of you hAve preordered your tickets for Wednesday/Thursday night?
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    Is anyone gona answer my question? What is Rey weakness to over come in these films? Not talking purely combat. What failing has she displayed that could lead to her downfall? What are the steps she has taken to over come it? What did she learn? What is her story line as a chosen one with powers? So far Poe is the only one with some kind of conssitent story among the good guys i guess, a bad one, but at least there is some kind of thing he has to over come. Finn kinda over came his too fast, now he was just dragged along, killing himself to save others would actually have been 100% on point with his arc, He start his journey running away, then he was about to leave han and rey to run away, his journey finished not running away for himself but dying for others, a heroes journey. Kylo had the most development hes actually a solid character, if only he was in more competent films.
    1 naive and insecure.
    2 fearful of being a nobody but shes grandchildof palpatine, so fearful of being grandchild of the dark side
    3 bad writing

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Luke had a few hours of sense training from obi-wan before he was killed genius. The mind probe defense is instinctive and many force-sensitives have displayed that ability in canon. Yoda barely trained Luke at all as he left to fight Vader, and that was after he magically developed force abilities he was never trained in. You’re just pissed it was a girl instead of a boy, admit it.
    1) It takes more than a few hours to travel from one part of the galaxy to another. So you have to adjust your time frame assumptions from the movie to understand how much time Luke and Ben spent together. Also explains why Luke is so tore up about his death, versus Ben being someone he knew for a few hours.

2) Luke was training with Yoda for a minimum of months, but more likely years. He was training there the entire time the Falcon was flying from the Hoth Solar System to the Bespin Solar System as sub-light speed.

3) No one cares that Rey is female. Using that argument to defend Rey would make it seem you can think of no logical arguments to explain why she can do what she did.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post

3) No one cares that Rey is female. Using that argument to defend Rey would make it seem you can think of no logical arguments to explain why she can do what she did.
    This keeps getting brought up because nearly every single complaint about Rey applies equally to prior main characters in the films, and yet there wasn't any complaint about this stuff before.

So we look at what's changed, and there's really one obvious difference, and that's why it keeps coming up.

She has unwarranted talent with the Force, seemingly by birth? So did Anakin.
    She has strength seemingly gifted straight by the Force itself? Ditto Anakin.
    She's a fairly boring character, without much nuance? So was Luke.
    She never fails? This one's just obviously untrue, and thus ignored.
    She has combat skills? Luke did too, and Luke didn't have any training or experience. Neither Obi-Wan nor Yoda taught lightsaber combat, that we see. Rey, on the other hand, was fighting on a fairly regular basis just to survive. Which we are shown.
    Last edited by Endus; 2019-12-09 at 03:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    We most assuredly see Luke getting basic saber training on the way to Alderaan. That’s the whole part where he’s told to blindfold himself to deflect incoming attacks. Still isn’t the same as Rey defending herself on the streets of Jakku though.
    That wasn't combat training. That was sense training. They're really clear about that. It was about opening up to the Force and feeling the world around you.

You'll note there's no actual "combat" whatsoever. No second saber. Nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Malaky View Post
    Isn't the whole sour grapes metaphor about despising things you can't have?
    Doesn't seem apt here.
    You don't get a Star Wars film to enjoy in theaters, we do. Sour grapes. Not complicated.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Question:
    I've got mine, looking forward to it!

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Question:
    Yup.

After being shot by Chewie which left him pretty seriously injured. It's not like he was at full strength at that point. And he didn't get defeated by Rey, it was a draw as the planet split in two separating them. It's almost like you haven't seen the film.
    After being shot by a bowcaster by Chewie and after killing his father, which he was clearly in emotional distress over.

- - - Updated - - -

It is because
    In the beginning, literally in the beginning of the movie as it starts, Leia pregnant with Ben gives him her Lightsaber because her pregnancy interferes with her jedi training and she wants him to train her son. To be just like him, hence the movie name the rise of skywalker. The lightsaber doesn’t show up again until after leia dies during when Rey is trying to find the sith daggers before kylo finds them too massive spoilers for the movie

The part that pisses me off the most is that
    Kylo dies by getting force pushed into a ditch by Palpatine. NO FIGHT SCENE HE JUST SHOWS UP AFTER BEING REDEEMED BY FORCE GHOST HAN SOLO AFTER THE DEATH STAR FIGHT WEVE SEEN AND GETS THROWN INTO A DITCH. amazing writing!!
    These leaks are so bad that they can't possibly be true. Which is why I've dismissed them for when the movie is actually out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Luke never makes any puppy murdering flip. Through out the OT he struggles with the dark side giving in a few times before pulling back. He does the same thing later in life with kylo but instead of it leading to him starting a fight or beating up his dad it leads to kylo turning to the dark instead and Luke is filled with the guilt of that. All of this is shown in movie and all of it lines up with luke from the OT.
    So Luke just gave up on Kylo, but tried his hardest to turn Vader, even that Vader killed a lot more jedi than kylo will ever see, Vader even killed children, Vader is miles deeper in the dark force than kylo, but Luke just gave up? Ok makes sens.

Quote Originally Posted by Rageadon View Post
    So Luke just gave up on Kylo, but tried his hardest to turn Vader, even that Vader killed a lot more jedi than kylo will ever see, Vader even killed children, Vader is miles deeper in the dark force than kylo, but Luke just gave up? Ok makes sens.
    He decided to try and turn Vader. He didn't try his hardest, though. In fact, he almost outright murdered him at the end of RotJ, and only was stopped by seeing Vader's severed, robotic arm, and relating it to himself and his own hand that he lost.

Luke had already almost killed Vader before that, when he threatened to turn Leia to the Dark Side.

Luke barely managed to do anything in that fight.

Also, he didn't know Vader killed children. He just knew that Vader metaphorically killed his father, AKA killed himself.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Luke is the reason kylo turned to the dark side it’s his failure that drove kylo away from him and to snoke that compounded with the knowledge that the Jedi tend to screw things up and make the galaxy worse caused Luke to think the galaxy would be better off without them mucking things up.

Luke doesn’t give up on kylo Luke gives up on him self.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Oh, are we arguing now about how old people are not the same as their younger selves? Outrageous!
    I really would love to find someone who is nearly 60 or even over that the same as someone who is barely in their 20s (rotj luke was 22). Most people in those 40 years become angry, cynical and just tired of shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    It's a brilliant bit of the movie, tbh. The unreliableness of both these people's flashback. If you have the actual "truth" of it via some present-day scenes of Luke and Kylo training and Luke slowly noticing the Dark Side creeping in, and then him touching Kylo's mind and seeing Snoke's machinations in there, then it's cut-and-dried, and boring.

Like, I honestly don't understand how people think Luke having a literal Jesus-in-the-Garden-of-Gethsemane moment is a bad thing.
    It's almost as if they had the "Truths become true depending on point of view." Obi wan talked about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like others said, Luke does his absolute best to try and kill Vader twice in the final battle, almost losing himself to his anger. The Emperor taunts him about it, each time. You really can't watch that final battle and miss this stuff.

There's Mr. Light Side smashing his saber at his injured father on the floor before him, trying his absolute damndest to kill his dad, in a rage. There's no control, no technique, he's just smashing away like his saber's a paper and his dad's the biggest spider he's ever seen.

It would really help if people watched the damn movies and payed attention.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    so, that dagger rey's holding. idk if disney has the good decision making to do this or not, but that dagger looks like rakatan technology.

i know what the dagger's supposed to be, but it REALLY looks like something the rakata would have made.

if disney makes the rakata canon, i might be able to consider the distant possibility of maybe at some point in the future for a brief window of time forgiving this travesty of a trilogy.
    SPOILERS if you haven't read the books.

In the Aftermath trilogy of books that are canon, the machination that was buried deep within Jakku that was supposed to be used to destroy the planet was described as octagonal computer banks that were from an ancient civilization. The computers displayed 3-D star maps.

Based off geometric shaped rooms and computers, ancient civilization and star maps it sounds like it's plausible it's Rakatan.

They are making the KOTOR movies however, so this is all kinda irrelevant as that means Star Forge, that means Rakatan will be canon. Surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    You don't get a Star Wars film to enjoy in theaters, we do. Sour grapes. Not complicated.
    But... we also get the movie. It doesn't work like this.
    The metaphor is not about things you dislike, but things you can't reach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Yes, I think a company should be legally allowed to refuse to serve black people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Right now the left is fact based

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't mind episode 7 that much. I know it felt like an Episode 4 tribute film but it actually was "Star Warsy" unlike the prequels which I disliked extremely. The Last Jedi was awful. I'd rate it on the same level as Phantom Menace for how half-cocked and lore-fucking it was. With Phantom the excuse was nobody told Lucas "NO!" they were all terrified to speak up and say something when he butchered his own lore. TLJ took a legendary character and absolutely butchered him. It was a complete tragedy and that director should be covered in honey and tied down next to a fire ant mound.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

I agree. The Force Awakens was an ok movie aside from Rey having the saber fly into her hands it should've flew into the hands of Luke OR to make it even more shocking? It flies into the hand of FINN and gives the message: "You knock me down, I'll get right back up to save the day." like an actual Jedi.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree. The Force Awakens was an ok movie aside from Rey having the saber fly into her hands it should've flew into the hands of Luke OR to make it even more shocking? It flies into the hand of FINN and gives the message: "You knock me down, I'll get right back up to save the day." like an actual Jedi.
    I think they made a mistake with this trilogy. I would have preferred either Rey be the force-sensitive but Finn be the primary protagonist or swap it and have him be the force sensitive and keep her as the protagonist. I think having the jedi be a side character would have made this trilogy more enjoyable.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, I see, so Rey being strong in the force (which is developed during the entire film) is bad, but Finn at the end of the film SUDDENLY "I'm the forciest motherfucker of y'all!" - is fine.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Budong View Post
    SPOILERS if you haven't read the books.

In the Aftermath trilogy of books that are canon, the machination that was buried deep within Jakku that was supposed to be used to destroy the planet was described as octagonal computer banks that were from an ancient civilization. The computers displayed 3-D star maps.

Based off geometric shaped rooms and computers, ancient civilization and star maps it sounds like it's plausible it's Rakatan.

They are making the KOTOR movies however, so this is all kinda irrelevant as that means Star Forge, that means Rakatan will be canon. Surely?
    wait, is it confirmed they're making kotor movies?

also, yes, geometric rooms and star maps are 100% rakatan. unless they plan to change it to a different race they made up their selves. that'd be a real shame, the rakata look cool imo.