Poll: Rate the movie STAR WARS™: The Rise of Skywalker™

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Quote Originally Posted by George Costanza View Post
    And how the fuck did Palpatine survive?

Also the Film LARGELY ignored TLJ
    A story for another time

Where it could yes, certain things couldn't be ignored though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fayolynn View Post
    A story for another time

Where it could yes, certain things couldn't be ignored though.
    What couldnt be ignored?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akasha64 View Post
    True, I didn't think of that. Though the way Anakin's prophecy came true I never liked how that was handled either. Darth Vader/Anakin just lifted Palpatine and threw him into a reactor in RotJ. It was very anticlimactic. It would have been far cooler to see Vader/Anakin win in a 1vs.1 fight with him, using the force, lightsaber etc. Point is, that prophecy already was pretty terrible the way it played out, but now it's even more useless than it was before thanks to this last movie.

Palpatine was strong, but he wasn't invincible. Windu won against him in ep 3 cause he used Vaapad lightsaber form, which granted the user more energy as time went on and was especially effective against dark side users since it turned their own hatred/dark powers against them.
    Just imagine what could've happened if he had two sabers amirite

But yeah, it was a bit anti-climactic but at the same time worked because Palpatine didn't see it coming. Now it's all been made pointless which just sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    I didn't think the rumors would be right...but this movie is hot garbage...jesus freaking christ
    That depends on opinion. I thought it was the best one out of the sequel trilogy at least. I went in with a very low expectation when I heard fans were walking out of the movie at some places before it finished, but I didn't think it was that bad to walk out on.

why did c-3po gain weight
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

7+ Year Old Account
    The whole "I am all the siths" and "I am all the jedi" was so cringe i dunno if they tried to copy the stuff from endgame but the "I am Iron man" and "I am Inevitable" parts are more central to the characters of Tony Stark and Thanos.
    fuck now that you mention, they totally tried to do that, its the exact same shit, but this time is super cringe

No, we asked for a story that actually made sense and carried the story forward. Not a meta movie the deconstructed star wars and shit on the heroes of old.
    The people who really hated TLJ didn't want a story. They wanted "lore" - really nothing more than trivialities - confusing even that with a story.

TLJ was a movie for people who think about Star Wars. TROS was a movie for people who want to be told what Star Wars is about by a thousand meaningless "ENDING EXPLAINED" videos on YouTube, fed to you at a pace fast enough that you don't notice that what you're consuming provides neither spiritual or material nourishment. A Wikipedia article disguised as a film. Regurgitated dog vomit to be lapped back up. Even something boiler-plate and relatively safe like Rogue One or Solo is preferable to that. Those kind of movies at least don't condescend to the audience.

Sorry but no. I will take a trilogy with bad dialog and dated graphics with a good continuous story over one with zero directions whose only accomplishments are undoing and retconing the past just to return everything to wear it was from the start.
    The story wasn't good, though. It was shambolic, contradictory at parts, and downright required the stupidity of characters bordering on unbelievable, including Yoda and Mace Windu.

Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post

no, he didnt. That movie was so bad that almost everything wrong with Ep9 can be attributed to it.
    What exactly? Palpatine and the clone shit? Rey being a palpatine? Giving her god tier powers? Palpatine having all the sith inside him? The Sith Troopers? The gaping plot holes? The fact they have planet buster ships and yet wasted all the time with a magic missile planet?

Everything wrong with the film is on JJ Nostalgias hands.

Didnt palpatine want Rey to kill him anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinerd View Post
    They do not. Anakins story has been made useless. He didn't bring balance because Palpatine didn't die. The movie does say Luke WAS aware of this but didn't do anything either.
    Hmmm, I've always taken that to mean "he brought balance to the Force" by bucking the trends of the Jedi, having a child who he still loved even though the Sith demanded otherwise, and that that child would eventually break the cycle of the Sith. IE, Vader brings balance to the Force by falling, and then showing you can be redeemed. And Luke was the agency of his redemption.

Is this not the standard view of people? Like, I thought that was the basic theme of the OT, which I saw in the 80s as a kid, and that's how I understood it. Do people really think "he brought balance by killing the Emperor"? He could have killed the Emperor in episode 3, what's the point of his whole fall and his whole relationship with Padme then?

It's like people can't think a foot in front of their face, and have no concept of metaphors and themes, and only accept what is outright shown to them on screen/paper/television.

10+ Year Old Account
    Didnt palpatine want Rey to kill him anyways?
    Yeah but that was before he sucked the life out of them to restore himself so I guess he didn't want her to do it after?! I dunno it made no sense.

How could both of them by just fine and dandy after getting life-drained or whatever that was anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    It's like people can't think a foot in front of their face, and have no concept of metaphors and themes, and only accept what is outright shown to them on screen/paper/television.
    Except Lucas himself quite literally said to bring balance to the Force meant to get rid of the Dark Side and evil in the universe aka killing Palpatine, destroying the Empire and redeeming himself as a Jedi. So take that pretentious foot and stick it up your ass
    Last edited by Sanguinerd; 2019-12-20 at 04:23 AM.

Just saw the movie. Still unsure what to think. There are things I liked and disliked. A few things are for sure.

-The opening crawl made me feel like we missed A LOT of important information/scenes that they just did not have time to cram in the film
    -JJ tried to ignore as much of The Last Jedi as he possibly could. You can tell he wasn't fond of the way Rian Johnson handled his characters in that film.
    -The first 40 or so minutes have so much scene skipping, it gave me a bit of a headache. Maybe I'll be able to adjust on later watches, but it was very jarring for the first.
    -Of all the characters in this trilogy, Kylo Ren ended up being the most interesting, and I think he was handled very well in this film.
    -I think Snoke was originally supposed to play a larger role.

So far, I'm sitting at a 7/10 for the film, but it could easily go up or down (kinda leaning towards down?)

Yeah but that was before he sucked the life out of them to restore himself so I guess he didn't want her to do it after?! I dunno it made no sense.

How could both of them by just fine and dandy after getting life-drained or whatever that was anyway.

Except Lucas himself quite literally said to bring balance to the Force meant to get rid of the Dark Side and evil in the universe aka killing Palpatine, destroying the Empire and redeeming himself as a Jedi. So take that pretentious foot and stick it up your ass
    Yes, and he DID that by having a kid, who he would love, and who wouldn't fall to the Dark Side like he did, and then redeem him. He had already defeated the Dark Side the moment he decided to save his son - the Emperor's death was how he had to do it.

It's the action, vs. the decision.

It's literally why, thematically, Vader "falls from grace" in the first fucking place.

This isn't pretension, this is like, high school literature levels of storytelling.

Edited to add: Think, for a second. Say Vader never has kids. Say he kills Padme and she dies immediately instead of....slowly languishing away but managing to deliver twins (???? another bad prequel sequence). Does Vader ever bring balance to the Force then?

Or, say that Luke is born. But Luke never leaves Tatooine, never gets involved. Do you think Vader brings balance to the Force then?

No, the whole crux of bringing balance to the Force was literally his son's goodness counteracting, and redeeming his evilness.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2019-12-20 at 04:28 AM.

I read the full article, I even quoted from it.
    Then your take is extremely disingenous. You even have an example of Kathleen Kennedy discussing how she wanted a heist type movie, thus confirming she had a rough overall vision.
    You have Lord and Miller who says the restraints she put up cripples their creativity, and another person backing that up by saying she disagreed with everything they did even how they "folded their socks" which is obviously a hyperbole, but descrivew a person trying to micromanage the entire thing.

You picking up on the clash part and only focusing on that shows extreme bias.

Hmmm, I've always taken that to mean "he brought balance to the Force" by bucking the trends of the Jedi, having a child who he still loved even though the Sith demanded otherwise, and that that child would eventually break the cycle of the Sith. IE, Vader brings balance to the Force by falling, and then showing you can be redeemed. And Luke was the agency of his redemption.

Is this not the standard view of people? Like, I thought that was the basic theme of the OT, which I saw in the 80s as a kid, and that's how I understood it. Do people really think "he brought balance by killing the Emperor"? He could have killed the Emperor in episode 3, what's the point of his whole fall and his whole relationship with Padme then?

It is exceedingly difficult to find a traceable common theme in a series of movies that, in the end, were deliberately made thematically disjointed to please a segment of the fandom who (1) have no appreciation for such things and (2) are incapable of being pleased anyway.

No meaning, only lore.
    Last edited by Slybak; 2019-12-20 at 04:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slybak View Post
    The people who really hated TLJ didn't want a story. They wanted "lore"
    I hated TLJ and I wanted a story that made sense. So yeah. You are wrong there bud.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, and he DID that by having a kid, who he would love, and who wouldn't fall to the Dark Side like he did, and then redeem him. He had already defeated the Dark Side the moment he decided to save his son - the Emperor's death was how he had to do it.

It's the action, vs. the decision.

It's literally why, thematically, Vader "falls from grace" in the first fucking place.

This isn't pretension, this is like, high school literature levels of storytelling.

Edited to add: Think, for a second. Say Vader never has kids. Say he kills Padme and she dies immediately instead of....slowly languishing away but managing to deliver twins (???? another bad prequel sequence). Does Vader ever bring balance to the Force then?

Or, say that Luke is born. But Luke never leaves Tatooine, never gets involved. Do you think Vader brings balance to the Force then?

No, the whole crux of bringing balance to the Force was literally his son's goodness counteracting, and redeeming his evilness.

Yes those elements are part of it and sure it's one way to interpret it - but the prophecy doesn't refer to "he had some kids and defied the Jedi"

But if you prefer it that way, aint anyone gonna stop ya

Also to add, whatever way you look at it - the entire character arc of Anakin has been ruined either way. Nothing he did mattered, nothing Luke did mattered(save for giving Rey another free light saber and his old X-Wing) and the entire OT might as well not have happened at all. The Empire was not defeated, Palpatine didn't die, there was no balance. He was redeemed for nothing, which is a damn shame.
    Last edited by Sanguinerd; 2019-12-20 at 04:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Voidism View Post
    I have barely read the thread and I haven't watched the movie, but giving any movie a 0 seems a bit exaggerated.
    If a movie can get a maximum, it can get a minimum otherwise the scale is broken. I am not saying this movie deserves a minimum score, but "a" movie might.

lucas seemed to have abandoned that idea in the later years of star wars.

he made that whole mortis shit in clone wars, with the ones. he also canonized the dathomiri nightsisters, non-sith dark side users.

suffice to say, destruction of the dark side was always an impossible goal. there are a nearly innumerable number of races throughout the galaxy, and the force exists through out it as well. force sensitives will arise everywhere, unless a race is specifically cut off from the force. the most naturally occurring use of the force is through emotional reaction, and emotionally charged force use is dark side.

i think darth treia had the right idea, the galaxy would be better off if the force itself were destroyed. but idk if that's possible.