Poll: Rate the movie STAR WARS™: The Rise of Skywalker™

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

As a somewhat casual fan of Star Wars I have to say I enjoyed episode IX a lot, possibly the most out of all the episodes. Doesn't surprise me at all that the opinions among "real gamerz" are mostly negative. I'm usually tuning in to discussions about games and I've noticed that certain themes and trends are just stereotypically hated and it's fashionable to hate some things. Herd mentality is very strong in those circles.

I'm not one to base my own opinions on what other people think though. No matter what age, country, or topic of discussion, think for yourself, that's the best advice I have for everyone jumping on bandwagons.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixxit the Gnome View Post
    One thing that really nags me is that Palpatine's plan was to get Rey to kill him so she could absorb the Sith, and then at the end she kills him!?

Doesn't that really, like, mean, she's got both the Jedi and Sith in her? Or did the Sith die with Palpatine? Are The Skywalker the mythical Grey Jedi?

I think I would have liked the ending more if Rey died, and Ben had survived and taken the Skywalker name to live on to atone for his actions.
    Palpatine was lying to her probably, he wanted her to kill him so he would possess her body - this is something from EU though and not explicitly mentioned in the movie (although he did say that ALL SITH will be in her) - but why would a Sith ever want someone to kill him so easily? It was a trap, to quote our deceased friend Ackbar. The place was chosen not at random. And it didn't matter who would kill him: Ben or Rey. The advantage would've, of course, been - that he could impersonate either of them and wreck some havocy plans that Prequels could ever imagine.

Do note that once he found out of their bond - he immediately used it to revive himself and then proceeded to kill both of them.

Also. She actually didn't kill him - the Jedi in her killed him (even funnier - he killed himself) - after which she died. So even by this alone Palpatine couldn't transfer into her - she was dead.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Stood in the Fire Fixxit the Gnome's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Palpatine was lying to her probably, he wanted her to kill him so he would possess her body - this is something from EU though and not explicitly mentioned in the movie (although he did say that ALL SITH will be in her) - but why would a Sith ever want someone to kill him so easily? It was a trap, to quote our deceased friend Ackbar. The place was chosen not at random. And it didn't matter who would kill him: Ben or Rey. The advantage would've, of course, been - that he could impersonate either of them and wreck some havocy plans that Prequels could ever imagine.

Do note that once he found out of their bond - he immediately used it to revive himself and then proceeded to kill both of them.

Also. She actually didn't kill him - the Jedi in her killed him (even funnier - he killed himself) - after which she died. So even by this alone Palpatine couldn't transfer into her - she was dead.
    Yeah, that makes sense.

I just realized that if that was Palpatine's plan all along it makes sense that he wanted Luke to kill him as well.
    - Dare not to sleep -

if palpatine was so into cloning why not just clone himself over and over like snoke?

did his power in the force need a stronger vessel like luke or ben or rey? why couldn't it just be a palpatine clone?

was palpatine looking at anakin before the unfortunate fire to be a vessel?
    Last edited by Vargulf the Happy Husky; 2019-12-23 at 12:15 PM.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    TLJ was a huge box office success, as was the TFA as they were the #1 Box office film for their respective years. RoS is on pace to take the #2 slot, which if you want to say that a failure, but it only lost out to another Disney Studio film.

Solo poor box office had been attributed to Bob Iger as he pushed the release date up 6 whole months for better quarterly earnings, and it didn't get a chance to be properly promoted. Solo also did very well at home sales using the only metric we can on DVD/Bluerays and has a strong following with the fans pushing for a sequel.

There was also a rumor that Kathleen Kennedy was going to be fired and that Disney was disappointed with Ryan Johnson, but then they gave him his own Trilogy. Honestly, if she left I don't think it'd be the end of the world. Kennedy has also been doing a good job in my book, but I also enjoy all the new films. :P
    The movies made money, but the real money is to be made in merchandise and under Kennedy, those sales have been way way down . She has hurt the Brand, she is known to be very difficult to work with and has fired some big names from the projects. These new movies are just bad movie making but visually good looking . The biggest mistake was departing from the Western/samurai movie trope that SW was founded on.

Kennedy trying to make the franchise woke and alienating large segments of the established fanbase was a massive mistake . She handled it poorly . She hired directors that instead of making a good solid movie, just pandered to her. I think she will be gone after the new year once ROS has its run. I amhearing that the new Merchandise is already just sitting on shelves unless its Mandalorian and Baby Yoda themed.
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

https://www.polygon.com/2017/4/13/15...rs-celebration

In the above article Lucas reminds us that Star Wars is for 12 year olds and that is the feeling JJ Abrams was able to tap into. If you are a 40 something year old that gets off on pointing out lore issues or Mary Sues or how it doesn't fit with YOUR idea of what The Force Is, then you have a lot to complain about with Rise. If you are able to shut down your brain and just accept what Abrams lays out for you (which is a jump for the adult brain) then you will enjoy it and walk out feeling like a kid again. It may not be the Star Wars you want, but it is the Star Wars that you need.

That is why TLJ fails also imo. Rian Johnson tried to make a nihilistic art film. Abrams went with Lucas/Speilbergian action schlok, which is what this movie series has been.

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    After Empire. George's story originally didn't end with RotJ.

- - - Updated - - -

She had to kill Palpatine in anger while he was weaken during the prior ceremony. Stupid yes, but explainable.
    Yeah sorry got distracted meant set up in return Luke's sister was supposed appear in 8 and the emperor wasn't originally going to be in flesh until 9.

Also no that is not a damn explanation. That means she could be serial killer but as long as she isn't raging wouldn't be evil.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BigToast View Post

In the above article Lucas reminds us that Star Wars is for 12 year olds and that is the feeling JJ Abrams was able to tap into. If you are a 40 something year old that gets off on pointing out lore issues or Mary Sues or how it doesn't fit with YOUR idea of what The Force Is, then you have a lot to complain about with Rise. If you are able to shut down your brain and just accept what Abrams lays out for you (which is a jump for the adult brain) then you will enjoy it and walk out feeling like a kid again. It may not be the Star Wars you want, but it is the Star Wars that you need.

That is why TLJ fails also imo. Rian Johnson tried to make a nihilistic art film. Abrams went with Lucas/Speilbergian action schlok, which is what this movie series has been.
    So in other words missing the same thing you need to enjoy baseball a mandatory raised bac.

Quote Originally Posted by BigToast View Post

Seriously?! POLYGON!? That's an SJW access media shill website. It's as objective about news and critiques, as CNN.

Do you read Kotaku, too?

Quote Originally Posted by Sygmar View Post
    Seriously?! POLYGON!? That's an SJW access media shill website. It's as objective about news and critiques, as CNN.

Do you read Kotaku, too?
    The source is not relevant, the quote is. But for one who uses SJW and shill in the same sentence I don't expect you to understand the meaning.

7+ Year Old Account
    Finally my opinion is here!

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Yeah sorry got distracted meant set up in return Luke's sister was supposed appear in 8 and the emperor wasn't originally going to be in flesh until 9.

Also no that is not a damn explanation. That means she could be serial killer but as long as she isn't raging wouldn't be evil.

- - - Updated - - -

So in other words missing the same thing you need to enjoy baseball a mandatory raised bac.
    Essentially, or perhaps some plant medicine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargulf the Happy Husky View Post
    if palpatine was so into cloning why not just clone himself over and over like snoke?

did his power in the force need a stronger vessel like luke or ben or rey? why couldn't it just be a palpatine clone?

was palpatine looking at anakin before the unfortunate fire to be a vessel?
    Something tells me (it's a feeling) that you cannot clone force sensitivity in canon - that might be the plot of the Mandalorian. So Palp could clone his body but what is it good for without the Force?
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Something tells me (it's a feeling) that you cannot clone force sensitivity in canon - that might be the plot of the Mandalorian. So Palp could clone his body but what is it good for without the Force?
    word. that works for me. but snoke did have the force. maybe the snoke we saw in TLJ was the original?
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargulf the Happy Husky View Post
    word. that works for me. but snoke did have the force. maybe the snoke we saw in TLJ was the original?
    We don't know the exact origins of Snoke - maybe all his race is force sensitive or they lucked out - or he was not a clone originally. Also, it could well be the Palp himself acting thru Snoke - force wise. Like a puppet.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    I don't think they needed to use EU as any kind of written in stone bible, but they could have at least taken some queue from it. I like how they did it in the Clone Wars -> Rebels. For example: Thrawn was the same basic character theme, just in a different point in the story.

Basically, they didn't need to completely throw out and re-write every character so they could dump their own story in. They REALLY should have used the existing material as reference instead of just going completely off the rails.
    I mean that’s exactly what they did/are doing. They changed some stuff like the main cast as the old actors are well old and did a basic reboot into dark empire which is just as stupid as it was in the EU.

The main question is rather they will do some good stuff next (old republic) or if they will take more nonsense from it.

My only major issue is the opening. I really felt like we should have seen the events of this title scrawl. Once the movie got going though, I enjoyed it.

More minor critiques: Their attempts to assuage complaints about TLJ were pretty on the nose. I think the movie standalone works alright but the trilogy is a mess due to the shift in TLJ and then shifting back here, but the only SW trilogy to really tell a truly cohesive story (however flawed that story was) is the prequels, the original trilogy had issues too. Like it's pretty clear looking at a New Hope Vader wasn't actually Luke's father yet, and Leia being Luke's brother was thrown in to just plug a plot thread they left dangling in ESB when they weren't going to go through with the original plan etc.

I didn't like the fakeout deaths.

But all around I enjoyed it. Anything with Paplatine on screen is hammy gold and I can't help but love the evil bastard even if bringing him back wasn't the most creative idea for an overarching villain for the trilogy. I liked Rey and Kylo's scenes, I liked force ghost Luke's moments etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I don't think it's Rian Johnson's fault. Or JJ Abrams'. I think the problem is that they're not the same director. They had different visions, and did things differently, and it really shows.

We needed Abrams to do this trilogy, and get Rian Johnson to do the next, or vice versa. It's the swapping back and forth that caused the narrative issues, IMO. Nothing "wrong" with either, it's going back and forth between them. My biggest issue with RoS is probably that it felt like two movies crammed into one. Take the "finding the keystone maguffin" plotline, replace the slow pursuit plotline in TLJ with a longer version of this instead, and you can pad it out enough to make it all come together in, IMO, a more fulfilling way.

I still think a lot of the complaints people are making are complete nonsense, or can be equally applied to the OT and thus just really boil down to "doesn't actually like Star Wars". There's issues, but RoS is mostly fine. Give one director the reigns for a cohesive trilogy next time.
    The movie didn't make itself. As the directors they are at fault. Obviously they're not the only ones, there's the whole corporate side as well. But when you're a director that has to make a sequel to a movie directed by someone else like Abrams was, you should show some flexibility instead of going full "it's my way or the highway" and sacrifice all the setup of the previous movie on the altar of "subverting the expectations".

Besides, clashing of visions doesn't account for the plot holes. Including the one giant plot hole that somehow makes for the main plot of the movie. The central plot of TLJ is the plight of the resistance running away from the First Order and their tracking (and how that tracking completely fucked them). That's what the plot of Poe, Holdo, Leia et al revolves around, that's what the journey of Finn and Jar Jar (which is the part that the action focuses on) revolves around. Rey's journey is a bit of a side plot that, when it reaches its culmination for the movie, ties back to the central plot I mentioned above.

The thing is, at the start of the movie when the Resistance makes the decision to float for 18 hours, they had to do that instead of jumping to hyperspace because they have so little fuel they'd be unable to move after just one jump, making them sitting ducks waiting for slaughter because of that tracking device. Meaning that the fleet had an X amount of fuel that could have been used either for one jump or for 18 hours of floating, with it being made clear that there's only one, shared fuel source for both.

Which means that Finn's and Jar Jar's journey makes no sense whatsoever. Because their goal was to disable the tracking device of the First Order so that the fleet could jump away in the six minutes time window where the tracking would be offline. Yet by the time they got to the finish line of infiltrating the First Order's flagship, most of that time ran out, to the point that the fleet was running on fumes, with some of the ships having already ran out of fuel. I.e. by the time they infiltrated that ship the fleet had maybe 1% of that X amount of fuel, if even that. Which means they didn't have enough fuel left for the jump and Finn and Jar Jar could have disabled the tracker for six years instead of six minutes and it wouldn't have made any difference.

But the movie never recognizes it, because Abrams likely didn't even spot the issue here. Not a single character involved - Finn, Jar Jar, Poe, the crew member that helped them out, C3PO - even hiccups about it. As such the viewer is expected to believe that if not for the last minute betrayal of Del Toro's character, the plan would have worked out. But it couldn't have worked out because of basic math. As such, that entire plot, which makes for a huge part of the movie, is completely devoid of tension. That plan was doomed to failure from the get go, regardless of Del Toro, with any obstacle on their path becoming utterly irrelevant. Making it, i.e. the core part of the main plot of the movie, a complete waste of time.
    Last edited by Mehrunes; 2019-12-23 at 03:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeymootwo View Post
    Yeah her character was horrible and annoying. I feel bad for the actress because she got sooo much hate for her role but it’s not her fault :/
    dont think she gets a lot of hate outside basement dweller forums like here but they dont really have any influecne they just spread their salt and depressions around internet forums

i think she baths in applause and congratulations right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious Tea View Post
    I'll take Palpatine endlessly transferring his consciousness into myriad short-lived clones over the yuuzhan vong.

And that's a hill I'll fucking die on.
    It's of course a YMMV thing, but for me Yuuzhan Vong arc at least had some moments while the very premise of Palpatine's post mortem adventures was an exercise in redundancy from the get go. Besides, like @Darththeo said, the Vong were made a thing because Luke's new Jedi Order became too powerful in the story. Which it largely did because it had to keep up with endless tales of Palpatine returning even stronger than before. Though of course the general issue of "this character will be even stronger in my story than the previous stories" race of authors constantly one upping one another also applied to the Jedi as well, not just the Emperor.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious Tea View Post
    Also, the hyperspace ram thing (though I admit this has been debated to death) doesn't work normally because planets have gravity and fleets have ships whose primary purpose is generating artificial gravity wells, specifically so you can't jump into hyperspace to do damage like that. Or escape, for that matter; interdictor cruises are canon due to Rebels. It only worked because Hux was as incompetent as he was arrogant and never in a million years suspected a nearly out of fuel star cruiser would just turn around and ram his ship instead of coasting into target practice range like the last two did.
    I didn't see a single Interdictor in Palpatine's fleet of doom. Or even a single gravity well projector. On top of that when Poe (or whoever it was to dismiss the Holdo maneuver in RoS) didn't mention anything of the sort, only something about it being super hard to pull off.

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    I agree with you on that. The Vong were only introduced because they let Luke's rebuilt Jedi get too powerful so they needed someone to come in and knock them down a few pegs. People praise the EU, but forget how broken a character EU Luke was ... not Superman level broken, but still pretty broken.
    Yeah, I'm not exactly the biggest fan of the Yuuhzan Vong, I simply dislike the adventures of infinite Palpatine even more. In general I find EU material set after the movies to be meh at best with few exceptions, Old Republic stuff was much better.
    Last edited by Mehrunes; 2019-12-23 at 03:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    I mean that’s exactly what they did/are doing. They changed some stuff like the main cast as the old actors are well old and did a basic reboot into dark empire which is just as stupid as it was in the EU.

The main question is rather they will do some good stuff next (old republic) or if they will take more nonsense from it.
    Uh...what? There's not very much that's recognizable in the movies that has a reflection in the EU. I mean, sure, those of us who have read most of the EU books can stretch some things and make some comparisons, but both KK and JJ basically said they ignored the source material. So whatever similarities there are would seem to be pure coincidence.

Sorta like what happened with The Last Airbender. Superficially there's some similarities, but when you get down into it the movies are basically nothing like the original material. It's a pretty common theme with Hollywood: Take something that's already popular, make whatever the fuck content you want, slap the popular name on it, cash in. That's more or less exactly what they did with 7-9.

Disclaimer: At least as far as I can tell, anyway.