Poll: Rate the movie STAR WARS™: The Rise of Skywalker™

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Same can be said for vader, he rises from the ashes of anakin and slaughters the jedi and is palpatines pawn until episode 6.
    Well ya but he tends to be cooler while doing it and the new Disney canon has given him some great new moments.

But again I’m massively bias I could take in Vader/empire stuff for ever but all of the rebel forces bore me.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Sure if you want to say not reading any of it isn’t ignoring it because he checks if a name is taken you do that I guess
    Correct, that's what I want to say. Referencing the material is the opposite of ignoring the material. Definitions are fun.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Voidwielder View Post
    Beautiful. Exactly all the things I expected to hear when the whole movie reeks of studio intervention.

If they trashed the ending to get past China's censors that's just an LOL move.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    If you can't understand why it's sexist to claim Rey is a Mary Sue but that somehow Luke Skywalker doesn't suffer the same writing issues, you might be a sexist.

If you didn't give a shit when Luke did all sorts of shit with no/minimal training, you're not allowed to suddenly give a shit for Rey (who actually trains more than Luke does in the films).

All you have to look at is the ending of Episode 4. Dude just magically blows up the death star without proper training. If Rey did that kind of shit you'd be crying about it.
    If you can't understand how the person who has to constantly be saved and doesn't win a single fight is different from the one that wins every fight she has idk what to say. That to me seems to be a very sexist viewpoint.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    You call it lazy to not use a 12 word description where I prefer using a 2 letter acronym, and there's validity to that, but I call it "efficiency". Words have meanings so we don't have to describe and define every term we use.

You can argue that they do that in legal documents, and I would agree, I just think the forums would be better if we don't all have to pass the bar before we can have a dialog.

It's not head canon, it's a 2 letter acronym I use to describe the Disney authorized Star Wars stories outside the movie. The non-Disney non-movie stories I call "Legends" (per Lucasfilm).

So now that you know what I mean when I say EU, we should be good, no?

Have you provided a link yet to where Lucas said Legends was not canon or where he said he ignored it?

Disney reminds me of "Zalinsky, The King Of Auto Parts" from the movie Tommy Boy.

Ray Zalinsky : "Son, you got to look at it from my point of view. Callahan's a premium name. That's what I'm buying. I can make the parts in one of my factories, put them in a Callahan box, and sell them in my stores at a premium price. Why keep your factory going when all I want's the god damn box?"

Throw out the Legends material. Throw out Lucas' treatments. Why keep all that going when all they wanted was the blankety-blank box, so they could rake in the money using that premium name.
    Or you could just call it disney wars or dweu since when most here talk about the eu they are talking about what you term as legends choosing to accept the fever dream stupidity that is the sequel trilogy.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Got it. The goal is to mention it, name no one or back it up and then coward out when called out on it.

I wonder why they had to mention it if they weren't saying that was the case?.
    No, the goal was to point out that it is happening. If you think it isn't, you aren't worth arguing with. And frankly, I see I wasted my time with you here. If you are going to not actually understand the subject, don't reply otherwise you are no better than a troll.

- - - Updated - - -

You call it lazy to not use a 12 word description where I prefer using a 2 letter acronym, and there's validity to that, but I call it "efficiency". Words have meanings so we don't have to describe and define every term we use.

You can argue that they do that in legal documents, and I would agree, I just think the forums would be better if we don't all have to pass the bar before we can have a dialog.
    Except in legal documents they define what they mean prior in order to clear up any potential material.

They would go "The canon material of Star Wars beyond the movies, hencefor referred to as the Expanded Universe or EU" is what is included. They don't just start with the acronym unless it is a universally accepted one. Hell, I have seen legal documents that even go out of their way to define those acronyms too to avoid any confusion if the document is ever taken to court.

And for a lot of people EU still applies as another term for Legends (as pretty much it was all the old C-Canon stuff, plus the Star Wars: Clone Wars ... not to be confused with Star Wars: The Clone Wars). So, just throwing around EU will cause confusion, which is why the term is lazy.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2020-01-02 at 11:18 AM.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    No, the goal was to point out that it is happening. If you think it isn't, you aren't worth arguing with. And frankly, I see I wasted my time with you here. If you are going to not actually understand the subject, don't reply otherwise you are no better than a troll.

- - - Updated - - -

Except in legal documents they define what they mean prior in order to clear up any potential material.

They would go "The canon material of Star Wars beyond the movies, hencefor referred to as the Expanded Universe or EU" is what is included. They don't just start with the acronym unless it is a universally accepted one. Hell, I have seen legal documents that even go out of their way to define those acronyms too to avoid any confusion if the document is ever taken to court.

And for a lot of people EU still applies as another term for Legends (as pretty much it was all the old C-Canon stuff, plus the Star Wars: Clone Wars ... not to be confused with Star Wars: The Clone Wars). So, just throwing around EU will cause confusion, which is why the term is lazy.
    And people being hypocritical morons happens. Don't be so offended that I'm pointing that out.

And I'll reply to all the dumb hot takes and their defenses I please.

7+ Year Old Account
    And people being hypocritical morons happens. Don't be so offended that I'm pointing that out.

And I'll reply to all the dumb hot takes and their defenses I please.
    That some serious projecting on your part because you are one getting upset that someone mention that part of the reason people dislike the sequels is sexism.
    That's like getting upset that someone mentioning that we breath air.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

That some serious projecting on your part because you are one getting upset that someone mention that part of the reason people dislike the sequels is sexism.
    That's like getting upset that someone mentioning that we breath air.
    And you're getting upset about me talking about the hypocrisy of people that blame criticism on sexism. The same logic applies to you twisting into knots over what I'm saying.

7+ Year Old Account
    And you're getting upset about me talking about the hypocrisy of people that blame criticism on sexism. The same logic applies to you twisting into knots over what I'm saying.
    I am not upset at all. I am finding it funny that you took someone's words out of context, accused them of something that they didn't do than then project that behavior onto me. If you honestly think that there are some people who dislike the sequel trilogy do so for sexist reasons, you live under a rock ... that was all the original person was pointing out. It was not an accusation, but an observation of behavior they have seen somewhere.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious Tea View Post
    Lightsabers as a device more or less follow physics, especially since - despite the name - the blade is actually plasma held in place by a magnetic field. What's unrealistic is what happens when two blades strike each other.
    Um...okay.
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Correct, that's what I want to say. Referencing the material is the opposite of ignoring the material. Definitions are fun.
    It’s a meaning less distinction to say he technically isn’t ignoring it when all he does is check for names before ignoring all of the actual content like he did With the clones in the prequels.

Same with the canon you can say he never actually used the word but when he says there is no story past Vader’s death and that the EU is another world it’s the same thing as saying it’s not canon.

I am not upset at all. I am finding it funny that you took someone's words out of context, accused them of something that they didn't do than then project that behavior onto me. If you honestly think that there are some people who dislike the sequel trilogy do so for sexist reasons, you live under a rock ... that was all the original person was pointing out. It was not an accusation, but an observation of behavior they have seen somewhere.
    And if you think those people make up any meaningful number of people, you live in seleration from reality.

I wonder why characters like Wonder Woman weren't given the same treatment despite being a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Or you could just call it disney wars or dweu since when most here talk about the eu they are talking about what you term as legends choosing to accept the fever dream stupidity that is the sequel trilogy.
    DEU seems like a good choice.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder why characters like Wonder Woman weren't given the same treatment despite being a woman.
    I think an apt comparison is if we are watching the last parts of the "Wonder Woman Saga" where there's an existential threat to the galaxy. Wonder Woman says "screw it all", and flies back to Themyscira, and then they introduce, "Bob", a man with no backstory who happens to be more powerful than Wonder Woman and heroically gets out of every situation, repeatedly saves other people, and then saves the whole galaxy while wishing a fond farewell to Wonder Woman while they bury her...'cause she died half way through the story. But thankfully we had Bob to wrap everything up for her.

Oh yeah, forgot to add, after Wonder Woman dies, they name the final chapter The Rise of Wonder Woman, (even though she remains dead), but at the end they finally ask Bob what his name is, and he says, "It's Bob. Bob Wonderwoman", even though he has no relations to Wonder Woman.

I'm guessing next to no one would like Bob, and it wouldn't be because he's a man.
    Last edited by Ragedaug; 2020-01-02 at 04:04 PM.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

And if you think those people make up any meaningful number of people, you live in seleration from reality.

I am yet to see any evidence of all these toxic "manchildren" throwing death threats and insults over having a woman in Star Wars, however what i see is people criticizing Rey for being a shit character only serving to pander to a certain retarded demographic, and i already posted actual proof of the Reylo stans being absolutely fucking unhinged.

It's just the same bullshit lies and narrative we see all the time, and we can see how far Disney's "LGBT representation" goes as they have no problem removing minor lesbian scenes to pander to fucking china.

I'm just stuck on

1. How minor this group must be if the movies still make money and every movie with women leads aren't being brigaded

2. It's ALWAYS brought up anytime someone says something negative about the movie or the characters

I guess I'm just tired of the blatant dance. And the toxicity police never bringing this stuff up when it's been on Twitter for weeks.

I went to the movie and absolutely Loved it, I may actually even go see it again. It was perfect and I enjoyed it more than Episode 1 which was still my favorite SW to date.

China has control over what shades of blue must be shown? My gosh...
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    I went to the movie and absolutely Loved it, I may actually even go see it again. It was perfect and I enjoyed it more than Episode 1 which was still my favorite SW to date.
    Bait much. Pass.
    /spit@Blizzard