Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Transferring between Classic and current WoW

I realize that this is very unlikely to happen, but part of me wishes you could transfer characters from Classic to BfA. I always find the lore jarring when leveling one of the initial 8 races through Cataclysm lore, then going to Outland and Northrend. It would be cool to level up in Classic then transfer to BfA once I got to 60. I'd put the likelihood of this happening at less than 1% though.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 2018-07-31 at 02:25 AM.

You'd be severely restricted by Class and Race availability in Classic.

I don't want someone earning a high end PvP title or Scarab Lord and then masquerading around on the main realms like they played back in Vanilla. The same goes for when they eventually release TBC Classic and WoTLK Classic.

Each game needs to remain separate.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbownz View Post
    You'd be severely restricted by Class and Race availability in Classic.
    That's not an issue. From a lore perspective, those other races and class availability were not present at that time. I'm thinking of gameplay mechanics from a lore perspective... which is not how games are usually made.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbownz View Post
    I don't want someone earning a high end PvP title or Scarab Lord and then masquerading around on the main realms like they played back in Vanilla. The same goes for when they eventually release TBC Classic and WoTLK Classic.

Then don't allow any titles or achievements to be transferrable. Again, I'm thinking lore. I could give a shit about titles. Remember, I don't necessarily think any of this would happen. I've just thought about a phasing toggle in the game for Classic and Cataclysm, and this seemed like a solution. A toggle like that would never work because the model for the original game isn't even in the game files anymore and is definitely not flyable.

As long as you could only take the character with no gear, gold, titles, mounts anything, then I don't see why not.

Ie You only want the old 1-60 experience (which will take you about 5x longer) and only that

Wouldn't it make more sense for Blizzard to do what they did with the Blasted Lands and Silithus? Old zones and new... I mean when they've rebuilt the old world/quests for Classic. (I have no experience with computers/programming so I don't know how big of a job that actually is.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like something that is highly unlikely to happen.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    sure but anything you earnt in wow classic is completely removed once the transfer is complete it's a naked level 60 with no talents no achievements nothing in the bank bone dry of all currencies and reputations and items
    -Proffesional Necromancer-

Quote Originally Posted by skannerz22 View Post
    sure but anything you earnt in wow classic is completely removed once the transfer is complete it's a naked level 60 with no talents no achievements nothing in the bank bone dry of all currencies and reputations and items
    Doubt a character from classic would even have that many achievements to transfer.

But in all serieousness, it would probably be more hassle then it's worth to transfer over a character from classic to live. If they decided to do something like this, they would probably just reward you with a lvl 60 character boost for getting to max lvl.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyCat203 View Post
    Doubt a character from classic would even have that many achievements to transfer.

But in all serieousness, it would probably be more hassle then it's worth to transfer over a character from classic to live. If they decided to do something like this, they would probably just reward you with a lvl 60 character boost for getting to max lvl.
    people are just suggesting this nonsense because they want to cheat the original vanilla players on current wow servers from feeling first at anything
    -Proffesional Necromancer-

10+ Year Old Account
    No, totally against this. Apart from special one-time achievements used to promote the game (and I'm not even sure about that) there shouldn't be any cross-talk or transference of titles, earned achievements, gear, transmog or anything else across the two platforms.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    I’d love to be able to transfer all that removed transmog too.

But why? Why would you want to level 1-60 in vanilla and then transfer to retail?

I don't understand the purpose of that.

You can go 1-60 in less than 1 day /played, in retail. Just do that if you want to level from 60 onward.

Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus View Post

Looking at dates of achievements isnt hard.

No, each game does not need to remain separate, only retail needs to stay separate from classic. Classic and "BC Classic" (if there ever is such a thing, obviously) could easily have some form of interaction in the form of leagues/seasons. Every ~2 years they should release a new server and allow old players to either stay on their existing permanent server or let them xfer to the new expansion servers of the next expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I realize that this is very unlikely to happen, but part of me wishes you could transfer characters from Classic to BfA. I always find the lore jarring when leveling one of the initial 8 races through Cataclysm lore, then going to Outland and Northrend. It would be cool to level up in Classic then transfer to BfA once I got to 60. I'd put the likelihood of this happening at less than 1% though.
    People are ready to spend 2 years progressing through Vanilla raids just to get that one desired unobtainable mount/title/transmog/achieves. Just think about how many mounts/transmogs/titles/achieves in retail you will miss out on the chance to get spending time in Classic.
    Last edited by Mushkins; 2018-09-17 at 12:44 PM.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Classic should stay 100% seperate, even a WoW 2 should stay 100% seperate if it ever comes.

I have lost a lot of time investment from other games that went offline permanently, so-be-it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not sure how many people would chose the masochism of leveling from 1-60 over the course of a month or two, to simply transfer to the live realms (where you can blast though that disjointed content in a day or so).
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    No, totally against this. Apart from special one-time achievements used to promote the game (and I'm not even sure about that) there shouldn't be any cross-talk or transference of titles, earned achievements, gear, transmog or anything else across the two platforms.
    people are just suggesting this nonsense because they want to cheat the original vanilla players on current wow servers from feeling first at anything

I don't particularly care either way, but this is fairly flawed logic.

The problem with this line of thought is that it implies everyone earned those things to begin with: Accounts with Scarab Lords, high end pve characters, rank 14s, etc. were bought and sold along the way. Several of the Scarab Lords weren't actual Scarab Lords, but exploited (i.e. transferring to new servers where the AQ gates were closed before open was made the default state--A loophole that was not patched until three months into Wrath, that's 30+ realms6).

A large portion of "vanilla" removed mounts, armor, etc. come from BC and, with the exception of Naxx stuff, Wrath (and that's without going into the BMAH). People were farming ZG well into Wrath, Naxx well into BC and every other raid up until this very day.

Really the only thing you can be sure was done during Vanilla would be old PvP titles, and it goes without saying that during Vanilla there was widespread abuse and exploitation of that system.

What exactly is being protected here? Anyone who gets something from Classic is almost certainly putting in more work and time, and earning the rewards more legitimately than those who grabbed things in late BC or during Wrath.

No this won't happen.