Page 1 of 166
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Football Season 2018/2019

Welcome to the Football Season thread for 2018/2019!

This year there are a few new rules and guidelines to follow, to keep the thread on topic and constructive for all posting and reading.

1. All conversations must be generally kept on topic, while conversation naturally deviates, don't allow this to go more than half a page before taking it elsewhere, we have many subforums for different things better suited.

2. While memes are not banned, they must be football related. Apologies to Tom Cruise (play ArmsofTheAngels.mp3)

3. Disagreements are fine, arguing is acceptable, insults are not. Keep it civil, and argue the points made, not attack the people making them.

4. As ever, tragedies regarding clubs, players, or other people surrounding the football world are not acceptable points of mockery, ridicule or banter. Keep that out of here.

5. In addition to 4. Wishing injury on players, coaches, referees etc is not acceptable. The reason being that such comments are provocative towards fans of other teams (or in the case of referees really just crass behaviour) and are little more than flame baiting. On the same note, sweeping statement insults against the fans of a club (for example X fans are all racist/Y fans are all violent scum) will not be tolerated.

6. Conspiracy theories are not permitted across the forums, if you wish to make an accusation, do so citing a credible source, preferably in English for the sake of moderation.

7. As ever, no links to illegal streams of games, or VPN sources to bypass regional blocking on legitimate ones.

8. Light hearted banter is to be expected here, however you're advised to not dish it out if you cannot take it. Reporting people for things that simply are not infractions, when you've made yourself fair game with your own comments will be ignored by the moderation team. Please stop cluttering our email inboxes.

9. Have fun, even with all the oppressive modrules above.
    Last edited by Northern Goblin; 2018-07-31 at 11:10 PM.

Deleted
    As long as I can continue to banter the dabbers of the prem and throw out the odd laughing messi jpg I'll be golden.
    Who are we kidding though, Tom Cruise will forever be this forum's spirit animal.

Back to footy- pré season tonight and I'm reckoning this wee Vinnicious is well viscious and is going to shaft United up the bum and make José even more misérable than usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yay! I Shall have my predictions ready soon.

I will definitely get them all right.

United to win the league!

1. What will be the top four finishing in the EPL: Man City, Liverpool, Tottenham, Man united
    2. Champs League winner: Bayern Munich
    3. PFA Player of the year: Pogba
    4. Writers player of the year:
    5. Top Premiership Scorer: Kane
    6. Best transfer: Mahrez
    7. Biggest transfer flop: Fabinho
    8. Who will be relegated from the EPL: huddersfield, wolves, Southampton
    TomCruise.jpg - I wasn't joking about the memes - NG
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2018-08-01 at 05:31 PM.

Not sure how Sporting will do this season after all the drama in the last year. We lost lots of key players too including both captains. It's gonna be a tough year.

Deleted
    Someone get the predictions template posted and I'll brew mine in a few minutes while I'm next on the John.
    Recipe for success.

Deleted
    Dead thread is dead. In honour of Yorkshire Day, This is now a Barnsley FC thread. HMS Piss the League is setting sail.

I'd spam pictures of our kit but there are about two pictures on Instagram.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post

I went to all that trouble to find pictures of tom cruise at football matches to make it a football related, meme

1. What will be the top four finishing in the EPL:
    2. Champs League winner:
    3. PFA Player of the year:
    5. Top Premiership Scorer:
    6. Best transfer:
    7. Biggest transfer flop:
    8. Who will be relegated from the EPL:

Last year's predictions, obviously amend it to your relevant leagues.

Deleted
    1. What will be the top four finishing in the EPL: 1.Chelsea 2.Liverpool 3.Arsenal 4.Man City
    2. Champs League winner: Juventus
    3. PFA Player of the year: Hazard
    4. Writers player of the year: Kanté
    5. Top Premiership Scorer: Aubameyang
    6. Best transfer: Fabinho / Torreira (both teams have needed a proper #6 for ages)
    7. Biggest transfer flop: Fred
    8. Who will be relegated from the EPL: Cardiff, Huddersfield, Brighton (Palace if they sell Zaha)

Going for that two year cycle of boom bust for Chelsea, I think Sarri will be a hit and if they keep a hold of Kanté and Hazard and solve their goalkeeper situation they have the players to do it.
    Liverpool will do well as will City but the "surprise" package will be Arsenal post Wenger, who will smack some teams up and who I predict to make top 4 at Spurs (who haven't signed anyone) and United's (who play turgid footy and are one bad result away from open revolt) expense.

Be prepared to come back to this thread and call me mug come May.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd write something about Ligue 1 but writing PSG / Mbappé over and over again wasn't something I was keen on.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Well that just killed half the fun of this threads potential.

1. What will be the top four finishing in the EPL: Liverpool, Man utd, Arsenal, Man City
    2. Champs League winner: Juventus
    3. PFA Player of the year: Aubameyang
    4. Writers player of the year: Pogba
    6. Best transfer: Fred
    7. Biggest transfer flop: Richarlison
    8. Who will be relegated from the EPL: Huddersfield, Brighton, Wolves

Pep to have a meltdown mid press conference because city wont have such a easy time this season and he pretends to be happy with his players even after a heavy loss he cant help tell the press how happy and proud of his players he is and Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan has him finally checked in.

Mourinho to have a meltdown mid presser too when asked about martial/pogba one too many and finally snaps.

Arsenal will have a strong season and challenge the top 3/4

Liverpool will win it because they should with their squad and they have no excuses now, so if they dont win the league its a failure of a season for them.

Man utd will do alright but in those vital moments, someone like jones, smalling, young will let the team down by showing their lack of quality.
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2018-08-01 at 08:38 PM.

6. Guendouzi

- - - Updated - - -

Cech saved 2 pens today.. wtf is going on?

Deleted
    À ball has yet to be kicked. Liverpool don't "have to win it" at all.

I must say I forgot about Richarlinson, a big transfer to live up to...
    Think Newcastle could be in trouble since there's bad vibes around the club/ownership.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. What will be the top four finishing in the EPL: City, Liverpool, United, Tottenham
    2. Champs League winner: Barcelona
    3. PFA Player of the year: Salah
    4. Writers player of the year: Kanté
    5. Top Premiership Scorer: Salah
    6. Best transfer: Riyad Mahrez
    7. Biggest transfer flop: Xherdan Shaqiri
    8. Who will be relegated from the EPL: Cardiff

Quote Originally Posted by Firebane View Post

I must say I forgot about Richarlinson, a big transfer to live up to...
    Think Newcastle could be in trouble since there's bad vibes around the club/ownership.
    There's been a bad vibe about the ownership of Newcastle for absolutely years. Rafa is the key for them - he's a good manager that's done a great job with that squad. If he walks then they're incredibly unlikely to get anyone of his calibre to replace him and I think it'll quickly become apparent that they've got a decent Championship squad at best. If that Braga result is anything to go by (yes I know, lol pre-season) then it'll be a long year for them even with him at the helm.

I worry about Wednesday again this season. We had a bunch of problems we didn't solve going into last year and now it looks like we might be under transfer embargo because the board have spent years blowing cash on middling talents in positions we don't need. Bottom half of the table, just above the relegation places I reckon. Good news for everyone else though because that "on our way" poster is probably going to be absent from this year's thread.

What will be the top four finishing in the EPL: City to finally grow some balls and win it back to back. Liverpool, Chelsea, United
    Champs League winner: Who cares, Arsenal are winning Europa though
    Top Premiership Scorer: Aubameyang let's go baby
    Best transfers: Allisson or Torreira
    Biggest transfer flop: Richarlison
    Who will be relegated from the EPL: Cardiff, Southampton, Palace, or Newcastle

Other predictions:

Jose to have a melt down by January
    Rafa to walk by December
    Neil Warnock first to be fired
    Arsenal to not get top 4 but win Europa
    Torreira to transform our midfield but our calamity defence to still hold us back
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. What will be the top four finishing in the EPL: Liverpool, Man City, Spurs, Arsenal.
    2. Champs League winner: Real Madrid
    3. PFA Player of the year: Kane
    6. Best transfer: Allisson
    7. Biggest transfer flop: Fred
    8. Who will be relegated from the EPL: Crystal Palace, Cardiff, Newcastle

Really not optimistic for Man United this season, Mourinho has already begun is 3rd season meltdown, we haven't spent well and no sign that we will; and I don't think we'll see much for the money spent on Fred. Think Liverpool will win it, and put Allisson down as best signing because he's basically all they needed and they spent a lot more besides.

Deleted
    1. What will be the top four finishing in the EPL: Man United, Man City, Liverpool, Spurs
    2. Champs League winner: Barca
    3. PFA Player of the year: De Bruyne
    4. Writers player of the year: Zaha
    6. Best transfer: Max Mayer
    7. Biggest transfer flop: Digne
    8. Who will be relegated from the EPL: Wolves, Southampton, Cardiff
    9. Number of times SLG gets banned : 8
    10. Is Slenderman dead : Yes.

Fancy Sanchez to smash the league. Zaha's last season at Palace so he will play with alot of freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebane View Post
    They've broken the fee record on a defender and a keeper now even after saying they would never do that like other clubs have to, guess they/klopp were full of shit on that. They have a front three that can easily get enough goals to win the league, they have 2 new mid fielders in. Klopps been in the prem for years now.

They have no excuses not to win the league.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post

Fancy Sanchez to smash the league.
    He has been looking good on pre-season after his first holiday in years, not a bad shout

1. What will be the top four finishing in the EPL: Man city, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal.
    2. Champs League winner: Juve
    3. PFA Player of the year: DeBruyne
    4. Writers player of the year: DeBruyne
    6. Best transfer: Aubemeyang
    7. Biggest transfer flop: Shaqiri
    8. Who will be relegated from the EPL: Cardiff, Newcastle, Fulham

9. MMO Fantasy League : Play Like a Girl
    10. First Managerial Casualty : Benitez
    11. First Major Injury: Wilshere

On the Liverpool thing, arent they still spending Coutinho money? I dont think this is on the scale of City and United, at least one of those teams had to have a disaster last season after the money that was spent, not sure Liverpool are quite in the same league as far as buying the league. 500 million spent for losing an 80 million prize is certainly a disaster.

Sign da ting Dembele

Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleycat View Post
    1. What will be the top four finishing in the EPL: Man city, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal.
    2. Champs League winner: Juve
    3. PFA Player of the year: DeBruyne
    4. Writers player of the year: DeBruyne
    6. Best transfer: Aubemeyang
    7. Biggest transfer flop: Shaqiri
    8. Who will be relegated from the EPL: Cardiff, Newcastle, Fulham

9. MMO Fantasy League : Play Like a Girl
    10. First Managerial Casualty : Benitez
    11. First Major Injury: Wilshere

On the Liverpool thing, arent they still spending Coutinho money? I dont think this is on the scale of City and United, at least one of those teams had to have a disaster last season after the money that was spent, not sure Liverpool are quite in the same league as far as buying the league. 500 million spent for losing an 80 million prize is certainly a disaster.
    The most basic maths says no. they sold coutinho for £105 million and bought Keita for 52, Djik for 75, Allison for 66, Fabinho for 40 and Shakiri for 12. Thats

105-245=-140

Liverpool would absolutely have bought the league, and in this day and age that is utterly irrelevant and not a negative anymore. Its expected.