Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Nope, Cata/MoP were my biggest and most fun raiding days.
    BC and WoTLK were great for raiding as well, but making 10man give the same loot as 25 man was huge for me. It made my guild go from 25 man to three 10 man groups.

We were a bit on the casual side and having 25 GOOD players was basically impossible. We always had friends who we carried, dead weight. Fun outside raids, but kinda sucked to wipe over and over due to the bottom 10 players.

Having only needing 10-12 of us made us do much better, getting server firsts, being competitive. I had A LOT more fun then. Being a mage in 10 man, I took almost ALL of the "special" roles for many bosses. These were memories that I will always have and felt huge accomplishments in game.

I am now straight casual and only do LFR and play during new content, so that no longer matters to me.

I was excited for harder 5mans but then they nerfed it back down and it was basically the last straw for me. I unsubbed shortly thereafter and stayed unsubbed for the rest of cata and ALL of MoP. I came back for the 10th anniversary event at the start of WoD but unsubbed again after it ended.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Second worst expansion or worst one. Wod was better imo. I have unsubbed until mop where i started with new acc. After some time i see i did good thing.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yep. Unsubbed after I realized I was logging solely to raid and not enjoying the game at all. Every other unsub I've had in WoW has been due to RL distractions or other games, but this was pure "Fuck this, this is no fun...". Unsub'd until the last month or three of MoP, which is the longest I've ever been unsub'd from WoW (except in very late Vanilla - early TBC, but that was due to another game).

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep I quit because of the horde favoritism and repetitive game play.

Years later.
    Still the horde favoritism exists.
    The same mindless grinds also exist.

so I ain't coming back
    I used to like purchase an expansion to try things out but I only played 1 month for Legion because it seemed cool but got bored ridiculously quickly.
    Edit: I did not and WILL not purchase the new expansion.
    63$ cad for the expantion
    18$ cad per month...

Just so I can enjoy horde cinematics, horde steamrolling my old favorite spots that survived cataclysm?
    This game is now solely for the horde player and so I have no inclination to come back even if they did fix their boring gameplay mechanics.
    Yea, no thanks.
    Last edited by Toho; 2018-08-12 at 05:52 AM.

Yes, but only due to school and work eating up a good part of the time i'd normally play. I still managed to raid til we completed heroic spine of deathwing, which was a week before my new job started and I needed to focus on such. I loved the expansion personally.

Yeah i think i only played for a couple months after Cataclysms release.

No, I did during MoP, after I burnt out doing dailies for 2 hours a day per level 90 character. (I had 3, then later 4...)

I found out 5.2 fixed a lot of the grinding to exalted bullshit, but I was happy in Rift at the time.

ubsubbed towards the end of cata and didn't resub until the end of legion

yes, but for totally different reason. wotlk had alot of fights where you needed 3 tanks, and cata suddenly didn't. i been one of the tanks in a top 5 server guild (tanked since MC), and was asked to go dps (was DK, and DK tanks were behind at the time). i didn't do good enough job as dps, started to get benched, so decided to just call it and quit game. came back middle of pandaria.

Quote Originally Posted by Loeko View Post
    Hi guys,

I have seen a few people say that the number of players decreasing in Cataclysm was only caused by external factors (League of Legends, etc...). I personally have troubles believing that but I thought that the best way to get as close as possible to an answer would be to the ask you, the community.

I am not creating this poll to discuss if Cata was or not the worst expansion WoW has ever had. If you want to discuss that, feel free to do so on this post : https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...t-in-your-mind

So, did you unsubscribe during Cataclysm? And if YES, why?

Edit: I wanted to create a real poll but it seems like I'm a damn noob that can't figure out how to do so...
    no because in my eyes cata was extremly good expansion - much better then legion and miles above wod.

Yes and it was the first time since I started in Vanilla that I had done so. Most of my guild unsubbed, and most never came back.

We had all gotten used to 10 man raiding in Wrath. When we had to go back to benching some really nice people because they weren't good enough, we just quit instead.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I did, for a few reasons:

1)Lore of WC2 wasn't a thing for me much. Deathwing felt meh to me.
    2)There wasn't anything mind-blowing for me in the expansion.
    3)I wasnt impressed by the new talent trees. In fact they disgusted me.
    4)There wasn't much to do.
    5)I didnt like the huge stat growth.
    Last edited by Harbour; 2018-08-12 at 10:03 AM.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by RadasNoir View Post
    Yes, I permanently unsubscribed from WoW back during Cataclysm. It had gotten to the point where it was no longer possible to ignore how much poorer Blizzard's writing in general had become.

My only involvement with WoW these days is usually to just cluck my tongue and shake my head at how much worse it continues to get. The most recent expansions in particular have only given me further cause to believe I made the right decision, much as I occasionally miss the idea of just tooling around in the world of Azeroth.
    Sounds like you need a much healthier hobby

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    With the shared raidlock between 25 and 10 my 25 man guild wound up collapsing as most did on my server with a lot of smaller 10 man guilds springing up as offshoots which never really had the same atmosphere or pull as a big guild. That combined with having very little to do outside of raids made me quit during dragon soul and thankfully avoid that big drought of content towards the end of the game.
    It was the first time I had ubsubbed from the game and probably changed my attitude towards WoW forever into a game I play in bursts of a few months rather than permanently.

nope, i did the diablo 3 deal.
    i got screwed.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Loeko View Post
    Hi guys,

I have seen a few people say that the number of players decreasing in Cataclysm was only caused by external factors (League of Legends, etc...). I personally have troubles believing that but I thought that the best way to get as close as possible to an answer would be to the ask you, the community.

I am not creating this poll to discuss if Cata was or not the worst expansion WoW has ever had. If you want to discuss that, feel free to do so on this post : https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...t-in-your-mind

So, did you unsubscribe during Cataclysm? And if YES, why?

Edit: I wanted to create a real poll but it seems like I'm a damn noob that can't figure out how to do so...
    People quit and return since Vanilla, you come to wrong conclusions from subs count.

We have 3 periods in WoW history:

1. Subs numbers were growing: Vanilla and BC.
    2. Subs numbers were more or less the same: WoTLK, early Cata.
    3. Subs jump on launch and sharp decrease after few weeks: MoP onwards (we don't have stats for Legion, but I can't imagine it would be different).

So, if sub number=quality, it would mean that Vanilla, BC were the best, WoTLK, Cata mediocre and MoP, WoD, Legion bad. Yet somehow in every poll people pick WoTLK and MoP (with Legion close 3rd, even without nostalgia factor) as their favorite expansion.

There is clear answer: in every expac we have people that: a) want to level, finish all content and switch to another game (sometimes they return for last patch to experience rest of the story), b) people that stay through whole thing (with breaks here and there of course) for more serious progression, finishing their collections or just wanting to experience it live, c) complete new players.

Before late Cata WoW was still fresh game, so new players were largest group. Dynamic sub number in modern expansions (10 million on launch, huge drop after first raid, low point midway through, steady number until last patch, when people start returning) was completely hidden. After 6 years WoW wasn't fresh anymore and many new players picked different games (like LoL). It doesn't matter which expansion, it would happen anyway (and maybe for example WoTLK would be scapegoat for people that read into sub numbers too much).

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    What? People complained cuz the patch was literally 2 dungeons and lacked content. If you think ZG and ZA were hard idk what to tell ya lmao
    its not hard to go back and find all the complaints about the difficulty of ZA/ZG
    This isn't the same company. They are not in touch with the playerbase, they are hellbent on profit, and yea companies deserve profit, but not at the cost of the health of the game, and they became their own worst enemy. WoW was special not because of vanilla, bc, or wrath. No nostalgia here. It was special because of Blizzards involvement with the community, which is all but lost now. They changed everything into the least possible communication with the community.

I did but it was more to do with leaving my guild after it merged and not liking some of the new people than anything to do with the xpac.... although I do think Cata was the 2nd worst xpac after WOD.

10+ Year Old Account
    yes i did