Frost talent tips for m+?

Anyone have any good tips or guide to point at for mage in m+? with the bfa build? I'm not sure what talents to pick. What are some amazing trash AoE choices you have good experience with? I heard Comet and pet freeze right before it lands are good, but isn't this very dangerous for melees as the mob will hit the melee if it's closer to it then the tank?

Also Thermal talent for me seems to not be as good, as the pack dies too fast for its duration and the cooldown on IV is very long now. But with Glacial Spike, I'm not sure to take splitting ice or freezing rain. I wanted a good trash killer build seeing this week is Fortified.

You want Comet Storm. Be sure to shatter it with your pet Freeze.

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cface View Post
    but isn't this very dangerous for melees as the mob will hit the melee if it's closer to it then the tank?
    Hasn't been the case in a while now. You can freeze things to your heart's content, they don't seem to look at melee even if the tank's kiting. Not sure if it was a 7.0 change or somewhere in the middle of it, but it's fine.

Also Thermal talent for me seems to not be as good, as the pack dies too fast for its duration and the cooldown on IV is very long now. But with Glacial Spike, I'm not sure to take splitting ice or freezing rain. I wanted a good trash killer build seeing this week is Fortified.
    Depends on how fast the mobs are going to die, and if you can lean on teammates to pick up AoE a bit. I usually run CmS/GS.

Deleted
    As long as you pick comet storm, you're good. Comet storm with pet freeze and frozen orb gives you more than enough aoe to pull your weight and then some on trash. Rest of your talents you can just go for ST.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nickseng View Post
    You want Comet Storm. Be sure to shatter it with your pet Freeze.
    Is comet storm better than splitting ice ?

10+ Year Old Account
    When using Comet Storm in a dungeon: if I use the pet freeze/anything else to keep them in place, won't that usually break until the Comet Storm actually hits?
    In a dungeon with 1-3 melees that always aoe, won't they break my setup? What's the idea here?

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerwilko View Post
    When using Comet Storm in a dungeon: if I use the pet freeze/anything else to keep them in place, won't that usually break until the Comet Storm actually hits?
    In a dungeon with 1-3 melees that always aoe, won't they break my setup? What's the idea here?
    The break threshold is fairly high this expansion in addition to roots breaking 0.4s after they hit their threshold, but ideally you want to throw Freeze as the comets are actually falling, not before. You're only going to get 2-4 comets out of it, but it's a fair boost.

Cast CmS and then pet freeze immediately thereafter.......sometime i freeze em first then CmS it depends how many dps are on the pack. But yeah getting some stupid AOE bursts with this loving it. Combined with Azerite traits that do AOE... mages are looking good in M+.

Quote Originally Posted by holo4ever View Post
    Is comet storm better than splitting ice ?
    As everyone has said, yeah, it is. Splitting Ice is only better on 2-3 targets, and it's rare to have that in dungeons.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nickseng View Post
    As everyone has said, yeah, it is. Splitting Ice is only better on 2-3 targets, and it's rare to have that in dungeons.
    Not so rare at the moment, the vast majority of pulls are 2-4 mobs especially when undergeared tanks and healers are taking it a little more carefully.

There's also a bunch of cleave bosses - boss 1 and 4 in Sethraliss, boss 2 in Freehold, boss 1 4 and 5 in Waycrest, boss 2 in Stormsong...

Once we get to the point where tanks pull multiple packs at once, yeah.
    Last edited by Nikkaszal; 2018-08-20 at 04:41 AM.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Getting crazy numbers with 4 or more trash in M+ yesterday...but warriors are way better with trash and ST atm. Really battled to keep up with our warrior on ST bosses. FB could use a buff....especially if we are specced for loads of trash

Quote Originally Posted by Noobles View Post
    Getting crazy numbers with 4 or more trash in M+ yesterday...but warriors are way better with trash and ST atm. Really battled to keep up with our warrior on ST bosses. FB could use a buff....especially if we are specced for loads of trash
    Every class is allowed to shine in particular instances. Short fights such as trash and 1 minute bosses aren't a good indication of where classes stand right now. The only class that was objectively bad and needed help were feral druids. Everyone else is just gonna have to wait and see until the first raid lockout.
    "Do fish have dreams?" - Nick Cage
    The Cage!! In his most primal form!!