Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephraia View Post
    Once you're safe you should be aiming for dps, it'll help the raid out more anyway as the aim is to kill the boss. some fights are so tightly tuned for dps that every little helps out (even the healers throwing some random dps in when they can)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobty View Post
    Damage output has been a consideration for tanks for years and unless you want to be a burden on your group(s) it's probably a good idea to accept that.
    like the last consideration on a the list imo... if you can't stay alive idc what your dps is... the second a tank dies while trying to worry about DPS they have failed at their role. I'd rather my tanks have a little over safety to live through lag spikes / missed big hit / dead healer than worry about their dps.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by blueprint21 View Post
    what? the VAST majority of tanks aren't optimising either their dps or their defensive play, thats not even up for debate the endless amount of logs prove that to be glaringly true.

And there are different ways to play as far as your rotational priority goes when it comes to dps vs survival. This entire expansion AS was better DPS than judgment and was priority in your rotation when dpsing, but judgment was better defensively because of the CDR or SoTR.
    Thats one example. Both abilities do damage. So what's the % DPS increase in prioritizing avenger's shield?

You're making mountains out of molehills.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    3 easy steps to follow:

1. Is your Healer draining all his Mana trying to keep you alive constantly? Use more defensives.
    2. Is your Healer basically full on Mana because you are taking insignificant damage? Use your resources on DPS.
    3. Keep Enemies off your Healer/Group.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    like the last consideration on a the list imo... if you can't stay alive idc what your dps is... the second a tank dies while trying to worry about DPS they have failed at their role. I'd rather my tanks have a little over safety to live through lag spikes / missed big hit / dead healer than worry about their dps.
    I use to tank with someone that was so obsessed by his dps rankings and that was painful "can you take extra stacks of this so i can get more dps" "can i taunt later here so i can dps" that's when it becomes infuriating. as long as you're not being a dick about it and can manage the mechanics easily you're fine to aim for more dps

Quote Originally Posted by Absintheminded View Post
    Thats one example. Both abilities do damage. So what's the % DPS increase in prioritizing avenger's shield?

You're making mountains out of molehills.
    You're just proving his point with this post, you know...
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    You're just proving his point with this post, you know...
    I'm not proving his point. Where are the numbers? When did I say never choose a DPS ability? I didn't. I said a tanks job first and foremost is aggro and not dying.
    Last edited by Absintheminded; 2018-08-13 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Absintheminded View Post
    I never said damage wasn't important. I said staying alive and having threat was #1. That is not a terrible player's opinion, it's a fact.

And about threat being a joke, when's the last time you queued as DPS and saw a tank lose aggro on something? Today? Yesterday? Last year? TBC? Im guessing it was more recent than your comment would let on.
    It is very difficult to break your tank to the point it cannot be healed. You can take full on damage stats and a competent healer can keep you up through just about anything. So it makes very little sense to not contribute to the dps pool.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Prot Paladin's kit favors using your DPS rotation to help fill your survivability. Judgment is a massive part of your DPS and your survivability. It's up so often and gives you SotR charges, that you should absolutely prioritize that as your top ability. In terms of general surviability, A lot of people look at seraphim as a DPS ability, when you properly use it, it's defensive capabilities are massive. Seraphim gives you roughly 11% decreased damage taken through the versatility it gives you, and gives you more judgments, which also directly increases your defensive capabilities. On a fight where you absolutely need the additional self healing, you can take the other talent in the row. Thankfully, even in mythic, you can use Seraphim for every fight and easily pull great DPS around 30k without sacrificing survivability at all.