Which pet to use?

Hello fellow locks.

I'm going to stick with affliction this expack. Are locks tied to a pet anymore based on your spec? I believe Imp was best for destruction in Legion. As affliction, I typically went with felhound, but I'd like to use succubus more often now. Obviously Void for needing a tank. I won't be taking the GoS talent. Is the damage about the same for each pet now?

10+ Year Old Account
    Take whatever you want but do keep in mind that imp buffs your HP by 5% passively and is ranged with all the advantages, so I expect everyone to default to it, except for Demo of course. Then you have Felhunter for utility.

Succubus? Has no advantages whatsoever in PvE, really.

Gaidax, thanks! I'll go with imp then. Fel if I need to do any silences.

Pets all do the same damage, pet choice is more about utility now. Imp gives you 5% stamina, felhunter gives an interrupt. Although imp has an easier time target switching since the felhunter has to run to everything it hits. Succubus as waifu-tier tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Take whatever you want but do keep in mind that imp buffs your HP by 5% passively and is ranged with all the advantages, so I expect everyone to default to it, except for Demo of course. Then you have Felhunter for utility.

Succubus? Has no advantages whatsoever in PvE, really.
    Demo uses the Felguard primarily to optimize damage output. Plus it has a stun and AoE.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Demo uses the Felguard primarily to optimize damage output. Plus it has a stun and AoE.
    I did not test it but I heard Felguard was fuked up and other pets were doing more damage for demo.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Felguard is not the primary choice for demo, all pets are viable for demo, however if you pick talents that buff the felguard he becomes the primary demon choice.

The voidwalker has an aoe ability called Consuming Shadows. Does that make him the default pet for aoe/cleave?
    Is there a target breakpoint where he becomes the best? Or does the damage stay the same, just split among the enemies?

I personally use succubus as demonology for the seduce and slow debugger, and because who does not like sexy demon pet. Also is great in pvp

Consuming shadows is a threat holding spell for multiple targets. It also heals the voidwalker, generating additional threat. I am uncertain if there is a break point, but it would seem unlikely that the void walker would be a better aoe pet than the felguard. Especially if you were running the buffing talents for the felguard.

That said, the voidwalker has always been usable as a reasonable dps pet when you turn off its threat aura and taunt. It survives those rare situations where other pets don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthas242 View Post
    Felguard is not the primary choice for demo, all pets are viable for demo, however if you pick talents that buff the felguard he becomes the primary demon choice.
    Ok I see, but he does have that AoE and a stun which I love. Maybe I just find it better for the utility.

Voidwalker for leveling/wq
    imp/fellhunter for dungeon/raid

Thanks for everyones input.

I am already finding a ton of 120's who went all "poopsock" and are griefing 111's on up so anything with pvp advantages really helps. Especially as a lock since usually you are the first to be picked out of the crowd. VW is good for leveling though the succy's snare and seduce trigger sephuz but so does conflag (though sacrolash doesn't seem to). VW is rather useless for pvp except with gosac/shield, then he is very useful... FWIW every try hard pvp has been a melee so far...if you don't count their pocket disc. 5% HP is nice on paper but if he isn't tanking I find gosac to be more useful since the pet doesn't hang you up in combat or all the other derpy AI things pets do.