Survival - build choices

Title says it all.

To be honest, I really like the new Survival Hunter. I loved the Legion version a lot and I think the BfA Survival is not better but equally good and entertaining.

After doing some tests I found two possible builds:

- Serpent Sting build with Viper's Venom, Hydra's Bite and Mongoose Bite, Birds of Prey as talent choices

- Bomb build with Alpha Predator, Guerilla Tactics, Wildfire Infusion (and Mongoose Bite as well?)

I found both builds equally strong while testing, they're AoE capabilities are great (the bomb build has like 40-50% bomb damage overall which is insane). What is your preferred playstyle/build for BfA Survival?
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

To be frank, making builds focused around your abiliities IMO isn't the right way to approach things; unless you're looking for an RP style.
    There really isn't much preventing you from using Alpha Predator with Wildfire bomb or Viper's Venom with Guerilla tactics.
    Some talents enhance each other a bit, but it's nothing massive.

I think builds should more focus around your intentions with a certain setup.
    So I have a build for ST, one for AoE and one for questing/leveling.

ST build is: 1121211

AoE build is: 1221212

Quest build is: 2211212

So basically in the first tier, I like Viper's Venom. It changes up your rotation a bit and does good damage. Terms of Engagement is an easy choice for questing / leveling.
    Alpha Predator isn't bad either, I quite like how it smooths out gameplay. But kill command isn't that strong damage wise, so the extra damage is "meh" and I'm pickin up a few passives down the tree, so I prefer to have the talent that mixes up the rotation a bit here.

Second tier, Guaerilla Tactics is a given for single target as the others don't really help ST.
    I personally prefer Hydra's Bite over Butchery for most AoE; it's just nice quality of life.
    Butchery is really good for very bursty, more infrequent AoE; as you can toss a WF bomb dump 2-3 butchery charges and toss another bomb.

Third tier is preference. Natural Mending is good for end game pve; Camo is good for PvP and niche uses in pve. Trailblazer is really nice for general mobility.

Forth tier; I'm not a huge fan of Steel Trap and Crows don't feel as strong as they do for BM. So I generally end up with the passive Bloodseeker here. I might try crows a bit more for questing, but it feels like it's also a bit clutter as you already have Serpent Sting and WF bomb to use as you harpoon in.

Fifth tier: Posthaste usually. Born to be Wild is just a bit short for me to really like it. Binding shot might be good for some M+, but posthaste + harpoon just give you so much mobility it's awesome.

Sixth tier: Tip of the Spear is quite nice. It's mostly passive, but you still have to be aware of it (especially with Pheromone bomb). I like mongoose bite too.
    I wish flanking strike was just baseline instead of Kill Command, would have made more sense and given a better separation between BM and SV.

Last tier: Chakrams feel quite meh to me. Wildfire infusion is a lot of fun and brings a nice extra skill level. Trying to be at high focus for Shrapnel bomb, low focus for Phromone Bomb and keeping poison durations in mind for Volatile gives good depth.
    I really like Birds of Pray too though, trying to keep up that buff as long as possible gives nice feedback and interaction with your abilities.

Deleted
    I also think Bloodseeker could be amazing in certain comp setups, because it can can proc the attack speed buff off other peoples bleeds aswell, afaik.

It is a shame that they gutted survival and made it another brain dead spec. Last expansion survival was so goddamn fun, now its just smash your face on the keyboard level of skill.

I think Survival with Wildfire Infusion talent is quite challenging to play and definitely not an "easy" spec.
    @Nythiz Hydra's Bite can be used with Viper's Venom as well to create a strong AoE build. That's why I'd rather go by synergizing talents instead of ST/AoE purposes (that comes due to talents automatically imho).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Karzakk View Post
    It is a shame that they gutted survival and made it another brain dead spec. Last expansion survival was so goddamn fun, now its just smash your face on the keyboard level of skill.
    If you play with mongoose it's hardly different.

Quote Originally Posted by Karzakk View Post
    Every class got the same treatment, they are all braindead.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmilblick View Post
    Every class got the same treatment, they are all braindead.
    To be honest Survival is one of the few specs that requires a brain to play. Sure not the easy 0815 build but dealing right and preparing for Wildfire Infusion effects is challenging. The Mongoose Bite playstyle as well. Of all the DPS specs I played in the pre patch I think I enjoyed the variety of Survival the most.

My only gripe is: how the hell can I be melee with a crossbow/bow equipped? It looks so dull. Or did they change this and we're only able to wear melee weapons?

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    To be honest Survival is one of the few specs that requires a brain to play. Sure not the easy 0815 build but dealing right and preparing for Wildfire Infusion effects is challenging. The Mongoose Bite playstyle as well. Of all the DPS specs I played in the pre patch I think I enjoyed the variety of Survival the most.
    And that's why I'm maining it this expack, it's a hybrid melee / ranged, physical / magical spec with some good combinations, extremely funny.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're butthurt that Survival is back to melee you can still play ranged for PvP until the expansion launches. Its viable for PvE but you have to have to stack haste>vers/crit and avoid mastery.

1. Get a gun from the Darkshore dailies.
    2. Spec 3111232 (also Explosive Trap PvP talent) and stack Vers/Mastery.
    3. Play the Auto Attack + DoT management game cause that's all 110 PvP is for most classes since B-team devs are incompetent when it comes to game balance and class design.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.