View Poll Results: Will the factions change? Should they?

Voters
176. You may not vote on this poll
  • Factions won't change, and shouldn't.

    54 30.68%
  • Factions won't change, but should.

    92 52.27%
  • Factions will change, but shouldn't.

    3 1.70%
  • Factions will change, and should.

    27 15.34%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
  1. #61
    Legendary! Fahrenheit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Posts
    6,275
    Won't change, and I don't think it should. That being said, as the years have worn on, the Tauren being allied with the Forsaken make less and less sense.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

    Sovereign
    Mass Effect

  2. #62
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    137
    All elves together! Rebuild our night empire!
    Already they plot against us.
    Seize this moment, Varian.
    Dismantle the Horde!

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by vashe9 View Post
    Its a totally SUBJECTIVE view. Why cant you understand that you are NOT the majority and Blizzard has no interest at all. JUST PLAY ALTS ON BOTH SIDE OMG. Everyone has several alts now. PERIOD
    I've been playing since Vanilla Beta, as a casual quest driven player for my entire time in Azeroth, I've only ever had one main toon, I've always wanted to be able to interact with the other faction, and I know many players who can say the same. When you're dealing with millions of players, there is no "everyone" and "no one." I assure you that you can find at least tens of thousands of players who would be interested in any change Bliz could possibly make; and as you can see with this poll, 2/3 of the respondents believe that there should be a major factional change.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Andromedes View Post

    My ideal factions:

    Alliance: humans, kul tiran humans, bronzebeard and wildhammer dwarves, gnomes, high elves, worgen, draenei, lightforged draenei, pandaren

    Horde: Orcs, maghar orcs, darkspear trolls, zandalari trolls, forest trolls, tauren, highmountain tauren, goblins, ogres, pandaren

    Sentinels: Night elves, worgen, furbolg, children of forest, pandaren, tauren, (maybe even forest trolls and wildhammers)
    -neutral towards alliance, leveling in old content would be alliance based, new leveling content should be Sentinels faction only. BGs would be played against Forsaken or Horde

    Forsaken: Undead, Blood elves, Satyr, Naga, Nightborne, Dark iron dwarves, leper gnomes,(maybe broken or lost ones draenei )
    -neutral towards horde, leveling in old content would be horde based, new leveling content should be Forsaken faction only. BGs would be played against Sentinels or Alliance
    I love this idea and think such a drastic change would be incredibly exciting; that being said, it is such a significant change I don't know that the technical back end challenges are even feasible, let alone if they would be worth the payoff. Only time will tell!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Omedon View Post
    I ran a similar poll a couple weeks ago (https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...-know-them-now) and just flat out asked if people were willing to predict a change. 1/3 of my modest turnout was willing to make that prediction, and there was a lot of "I wish, but no" in the comments.

    So again, not the biggest sample in the world, but WoW has the numbers of the silent types, they know how many people would have something to gain by having their friends on both sides potentially able to play together.

    It's not impossible.
    Thanks for the link! Some interesting posts there. I agree with you, and I look forward to seeing what happens. I can't believe it drops tomorrow! Ahh!

  4. #64
    It'd be very interesting if they did, but they most likely won't.

  5. #65
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    504
    I think it's a neat idea, but it would be very hard (impossible?) for Blizzard to do and keep everyone happy.

    Remember how much they stressed out with something as comparatively minor as the new player models a few years ago? I'd assume that a character's faction identity is much more important than the shape/texture of their hands and kneecaps. Changing this would be a bold, but very dangerous, move.

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by BlakeArt View Post
    This expansion show very well the limitations of storytelling Blizzard can do with 2 locked factions. I don't ever think that gameplaywise it will be changed, do you even imagine what it would mean to change that ? Another solution and that the resolution of this new conflict lift the restriction in game and allows players to play with both faction wich would be pretty easy to do but It would complicate storytelling ever more since there is no turning back ever from that.

    I think an evolution is needed in a way or another. I don't think it will come because it would require adamantium ballz from Blizzard to face the inevitable shitstorm that would follow, no matter what they do. But, god, I wish.
    I think when BFA concludes the factions will still exist (so a orc can't just roll into SW or vice versa), but the player characters will be above the petty squable. We are heroes of Azeroth after all not just our respective factions.

    It will allow players regardless of faction to group together (unless in Warmode)
    It will allow (in theory) for more zones/quests to be developed since they won't have to develope seperate things for the factions.
    Will reduce the number of mounts created that would turn into a net gain over all (hopefuly).
    Might help WPVP, since both factions will be in the same area

    This will allow Blizzard to progress the story cause then faction balance won't be imperitive. That is the big problem w/the faction war being a story telling point. The story can never really go anywhere cause of faction ballance.
    I am not pro Flight, I am pro a better more engaging game. I just took the pro flight stance cause I knew Blizzard couldn't deliver. Looks like I was right

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Maneo View Post
    I think when BFA concludes the factions will still exist (so a orc can't just roll into SW or vice versa), but the player characters will be above the petty squable. We are heroes of Azeroth after all not just our respective factions.

    It will allow players regardless of faction to group together (unless in Warmode)
    It will allow (in theory) for more zones/quests to be developed since they won't have to develope seperate things for the factions.
    Will reduce the number of mounts created that would turn into a net gain over all (hopefuly).
    Might help WPVP, since both factions will be in the same area

    This will allow Blizzard to progress the story cause then faction balance won't be imperitive. That is the big problem w/the faction war being a story telling point. The story can never really go anywhere cause of faction ballance.
    This is pretty much exactly where my head has been at for months. The faction divide is the theme of this expansion. It's not going to be the theme of next expansion. That means a de-escalation of the faction war some time in the next two years- FROM THIS. From the burning of Teldrassil and the scorched earth state of Lordaeron!
    That is not just any other "time to fight the PVE boss now" moment, that has to be something more. It's likely that that something more can and will be represented mechanically.

    It doesn't take or need a new faction, or some kind of end to the alliance and the horde themselves, but I think this is the last Hurrah for this degree of faction war. You don't top this, ever, without traumatizing people. Indeed, some of the greatest lore analysts I follow are saying that taking a step out of your character was pretty much necessary to go through the burning. The opposite of immersion, just to "appreciate" the story. We've reached "peak faction war," and it only goes down from here, into something that looks exactly like what you described.

    What other outcome is there? They're not going to make the horde "yep, all bad guys, all the time," they just aren't. That's not what most of the horde was sold. Where does it go?

    It goes where you've pointed: faction agnostic PVE, stories that point us at bigger threats, and a "resolution" to the war that has a lasting effect.

    Arthas didn't survive WOTLK
    Deathwing didn't survive Cataclysm
    Most of the Warlords of Draenor did not survive WoD
    The Burning Legion didn't survive Legion

    And this is the Faction War expansion, a big part of it anyway. Guess what doesn't survive this expansion unchanged?

    9.0 will almost certainly not look like any expansion before it when it comes to the faction war.

  8. #68
    Fuck factions.

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Fuck factions.
    Although I may agree w/your sentiment, that isn't a compelling argument.
    I am not pro Flight, I am pro a better more engaging game. I just took the pro flight stance cause I knew Blizzard couldn't deliver. Looks like I was right

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by Maneo View Post
    Although I may agree w/your sentiment, that isn't a compelling argument.
    I wasn't trying to make an argument. I've done that enough before, but here a short version: I'm sick and tired of having half my friends on one side and the other half on another and therefore needing 2 characters to play with them. I'm tired of forced conflict because some people that never outgrew their teens need to spout some unintelligent rhetoric about "the war in warcraft", when we have been fighting enemies - large and small, factions and individuals - for years without having to resort to some "oh, we are the baddies again" plot that's as shallow as it can be. I'm tired of having my characters being race-locked to a faction and their terrible plot just because it has to be that way due to gameplay reasons.

    So in short: Fuck factions .

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I wasn't trying to make an argument. I've done that enough before, but here a short version: I'm sick and tired of having half my friends on one side and the other half on another and therefore needing 2 characters to play with them. I'm tired of forced conflict because some people that never outgrew their teens need to spout some unintelligent rhetoric about "the war in warcraft", when we have been fighting enemies - large and small, factions and individuals - for years without having to resort to some "oh, we are the baddies again" plot that's as shallow as it can be. I'm tired of having my characters being race-locked to a faction and their terrible plot just because it has to be that way due to gameplay reasons.

    So in short: Fuck factions .
    Much more compeling, and I can't say I disagree.

    My primary reason to say "Fuck Factions" is how it inhibits the ability of Blizzard to provide a compelling story due to "Faction Balance".

    You reasoning is just as valid though. It is funny I have seen this question posted over the years (I played back in Vanilla) and over the years I have noticed a significant decline in the opposition to the Factions going away. Not sure if it is the player base maturing or just changing regardless it is interesting.

    As a side note the War will always be in Warcraft just doesn't have to be between Horde and Alliance.
    I am not pro Flight, I am pro a better more engaging game. I just took the pro flight stance cause I knew Blizzard couldn't deliver. Looks like I was right

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I'm sick and tired of having half my friends on one side and the other half on another and therefore needing 2 characters to play with them.

    This all day. There is a 50% chance when I meet a new WoW playing friend that they will be on the faction that my "lesser characters" will be on, the ones where I say "yeah someday we can do stuff" but really... it doesn't happen because I'm focusing on my main right now. Yes, rolling alts is a bandaid, but that's all it is. Some people don't do alts, and once again "we bring friends together" is a false statement from Blizzard, at least for WoW, so long as the faction divide is this opaque, this impermeable.

    Honestly, just throw the grouping/guilding wide open and most of us would be happy, and it would be completely optional for people to interact, in premade groups anyway (at that point there's no reason for LFX not to be cross faction), with the other faction.
    Last edited by Omedon; 2018-08-13 at 03:52 PM.

  13. #73
    The Patient Demeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Good Ol' Usa
    Posts
    334
    I don't see anything like you described in your post happening.

    Warlock always and forever, Necromancer otherwise
    It is better to be feared than it is to be loved, if you cannot have both.

  14. #74
    Interesting little detail I noticed... the mouseover nameplate for players now has their faction crest...

    Gee... I wonder why they'd need that, I mean it already shows their race, that should be enough, right?... Unless... not always...

    "Declare your allegiance" indeed...

  15. #75
    I think ending factions (or introducing a third factions or something) is the best way forward. Basically, at the point, each side is at the point where they have to feel the other side will eventually destroy them (yes, both sides, please no "my side is right" self-righteousness). So the game is either a continuing war to destroy the other side, a war that can't be won, or it needs to move to something else. And having both sides team up again just doesn't make sense. If, for no other reason, than they already have a dire threat (the death of Azeroth) and they seem no longer able to set aside their war.

  16. #76
    Banned Checkt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Dead on the elevator.
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    They're not going to re-shuffle what races are friendly to each other. Can you imagine the shitstorm they'd cause for literally forcing people to buy a faction change to keep playing with their friends/guilds?
    Quite remarkable people don't understand this. Cata only redid zones and that was literally 1\2 or more of the entire development work for an entire expac. Redoing the zones for new factions, races, and more would be literally a new game, which is why:

    The only way we'll see faction changes in WoW is when it ends and WoW2 begins.

  17. #77
    Faction shuffle would make for a really new and interesting Expansion.

    But, they won't. Unfortunately.

  18. #78
    Ahem: It’s. Happening. Dot. G. I. F.

    “Well, what I would say is that there is definitely room for what those factions represent to evolve and change and for their relationship to change,” said Danuser. “Those factions are so tied into player identity, when you see those banners, you know what they stand for — they’re personal to you as a player. You did things for that faction, you fought that enemy, you held the line for them, defended your capital. All those things. That wouldn’t be something we would take away lightly. That’s part of the Warcraft DNA. But shaping what those factions mean in the world and how they interact with one another? That’s something this expansion really allows us to focus on and resolve in a way that will be satisfying for players on both sides.”

    https://www.wowhead.com/news=286525/...ance-and-horde

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •