1. #20501
    The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    World of Wisconsin
    Posts
    33,429
    Debating buying Shadowlands and playing retail again just for a Nightborne DK...

    But at the same time, that would mean playing retail and dealing with all that garbage.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Man, that kills some buzz for me.

    I was hoping they'd find a way to cram in one last set of allied races and some more small stuff in 8.3.5 but I guess this is it.

    Sigh.
    Figured they wouldn't. If they were going to do a surprise batch they'd have covered it at Blizzcon as part of the hype for Shadowlands.

    It sure is weird having a very noticable empty space for one more set, though.... *looks at the vampire elves and blue skinned humans*
    9.0 Speculation Thread #1 Leakbuster

    Finally guessed the expansion right for the first time since MoP.

    Retail - Wyrmrest Accord (A) | Classic - Bloodsail Buccaneers (A) | FFXIV - Crystal Datacenter

  2. #20502
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Debating buying Shadowlands and playing retail again just for a Nightborne DK...

    But at the same time, that would mean playing retail and dealing with all that garbage.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Figured they wouldn't. If they were going to do a surprise batch they'd have covered it at Blizzcon as part of the hype for Shadowlands.

    It sure is weird having a very noticable empty space for one more set, though.... *looks at the vampire elves and blue skinned humans*
    Well, I imagine if they were a surprise that had to do with BfA's plot, being BfA-relevant races, they'd want to keep that a secret even at Blizzcon as it would be a nice surprise.

    And yeah, the one set does irk me. Rajani Mogu and Waveblade Ankoan as the last two BfA races would've been nice. Part of me feels like the list as is should end with a BfA race, and then there should be a new one for any potential Shadowlands or (if Shadowlands indeed has 0 allied races) expansion beyond races. But that's just me. You could argue that the initial four races were Legion only and therefore already break that notion.

  3. #20503
    The lack of plans for future BFA content does not line up with the glaringly obvious spots for two more ARs, unless they really are just reserved spots for faction exclusive Kyrians and Venthyr. Which already is being chalked up as an Alliance loss.

    Or spots reserved for 10.0 races when we return to Azeroth?

  4. #20504
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagawithlegs View Post
    The lack of plans for future BFA content does not line up with the glaringly obvious spots for two more ARs, unless they really are just reserved spots for faction exclusive Kyrians and Venthyr. Which already is being chalked up as an Alliance loss.

    Or spots reserved for 10.0 races when we return to Azeroth?
    Honestly, if there are any covenant races in Shadowlands that turn into allied races and they pick one faction or the other, that totally contradicts both the idea of covenants and peace between the factions.

  5. #20505
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Honestly, if there are any covenant races in Shadowlands that turn into allied races and they pick one faction or the other, that totally contradicts both the idea of covenants and peace between the factions.
    The Mechagnomes joining Alliance post-peace treaty already shows that Blizzard doesn't care, they will do anything to make sure there's never a neutral race again.

  6. #20506
    No 8.3.5 was what I expected, thought I hoped to be wrong.

    So, no more allied races, and no new heritage armor until Shadowlands. And BfA story ends with a whimper, a pity.
    Whatever...

  7. #20507
    The faster BFA ends the better. Though I am happy that this patch is taking place in Pandaria and Uldum. And the new raid looks cool.

  8. #20508
    Quote Originally Posted by DeicideUH View Post
    No 8.3.5 was what I expected, thought I hoped to be wrong.

    So, no more allied races, and no new heritage armor until Shadowlands. And BfA story ends with a whimper, a pity.
    That implies we're ever getting heritage armor again.

  9. #20509
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagawithlegs View Post
    The Mechagnomes joining Alliance post-peace treaty already shows that Blizzard doesn't care, they will do anything to make sure there's never a neutral race again.
    Yeah, fair enough.
    I don't get why they loathe the idea so. Most hatred of Pandaren had nothing to do with their neutrality, as far as I know.

  10. #20510
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Yeah, fair enough.
    I don't get why they loathe the idea so. Most hatred of Pandaren had nothing to do with their neutrality, as far as I know.
    It's the same (real) reason playable High Elves don't exist: someone at Blizzard, be it the devs or higher ups do NOT want more races that are virtually the same cross faction. Likely to have each faction be its own unique and distinguishable brand (at the expense of player agency or requests for neutrality).

    I think it's more likely we'll get optional cross-faction play than we'll ever get a race that looks the same across two factions ever again.

  11. #20511
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagawithlegs View Post
    It's the same (real) reason playable High Elves don't exist: someone at Blizzard, be it the devs or higher ups do NOT want more races that are virtually the same cross faction. Likely to have each faction be its own unique and distinguishable brand (at the expense of player agency or requests for neutrality).

    I think it's more likely we'll get optional cross-faction play than we'll ever get a race that looks the same across two factions ever again.
    Meanwhile Void Elves and Nightborne.

  12. #20512
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Meanwhile Void Elves and Nightborne.
    My point exactly. They look the same as the other races in armor, yes, but they do not look identical to Blood Elves or Night Elves respectively. Which lends points to them never wanting to do another Pandaren race again (High Elves as they are CURRENTLY IN GAME not counting any future revision are 99% identical aesthetically, if they were released on Alliance it would be Pandaren 2).

    Someone at the team is scared shitless of adding another race that is identical cross-faction.

  13. #20513
    I know no 8.3.5 is more or less confirmed, but it's really, really obvious that there is one more spot for Allied Race. There are 3 strong hints (from Horde perspective):

    - obvious blank spot on creation page
    - look how situated are totems in orgri embassy - they are asymmetrical
    - Undead is last core race without "their" AR

    IMO in worst case scenario they just scraped two races, but I'm sure at some point they were planned.

  14. #20514
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagawithlegs View Post
    The lack of plans for future BFA content does not line up with the glaringly obvious spots for two more ARs, unless they really are just reserved spots for faction exclusive Kyrians and Venthyr. Which already is being chalked up as an Alliance loss.

    Or spots reserved for 10.0 races when we return to Azeroth?
    I think it's fairly obvious with the re-used zones and overall lack of content in 8.3 that they made a conscious decision to "abandon" this expansion after 8.2. Some things can't be saved.

    No 8.3.5 just further proves this point. There is clearly room for another set of ARs and Worgen/Undead are missing their counterpart.


    I think the more glaring issue here is that they thought what they had in BfA was good. That is far more worrying than anything else. All those issues that were pointed out to them during Beta and they ignored. They actually believed they were right.

    That's the scariest part.

  15. #20515
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    I know no 8.3.5 is more or less confirmed, but it's really, really obvious that there is one more spot for Allied Race. There are 3 strong hints (from Horde perspective):

    - obvious blank spot on creation page
    - look how situated are totems in orgri embassy - they are asymmetrical
    - Undead is last core race without "their" AR

    IMO in worst case scenario they just scraped two races, but I'm sure at some point they were planned.
    I suspect that's going to be for the Kyrians on Alliance and the Venthyr on Horde; the Venthyr will basically be there to appease the people who wanted San'layn.

    It's not like them being neutral will matter, given Blizzard pulled the Alliance apparently reluctantly helping the Nightborne out of their arses to justify them going Horde.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •