Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Warfronts Guide - Battle for Azeroth

Warfronts Guide - Battle for Azeroth
    Warfronts are a new major addition to the game in Battle for Azeroth. Essentially they are large 20 player PvE queable instances that are supposed to recreate the epic RTS roots of Warcraft 3. All 20 players must work together to gather resources, build familiar Warcraft structures, gain tactical advantages, and recruit/upgrade troops in order to assault the opposite faction's base and take control of the strategic environment. Currently there is no PvP aspect to Warfronts. The enemy that you face is World of Warcraft's new smart AI.

• The Battle of Stromgarde in Arathi Highlands is the first and only Warfront available soon after launch in the coming weeks.
    • The enemy AI is much more tactical than normal mob AI. It will behave strategically and act much in the way that a player character would, such as attacking healers first and using crowd control.
    • Each faction will periodically take control of Arathi Highlands by doing a Warfront.
    • The faction who doesn't control Arathi Highlands contributes resources to open up the ability to queue for their own Warfront to take the territory back.
    • Having control of Arathi Highlands gives you access to rares and a world boss.
    • Gear and Azerite are some of the rewards for completing a Warfront.

Warfronts Weekly Cycle
    Blizzard has stated that a normal week of Warfronts will cycle between the following:
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker)
    • The Alliance starts with ownership of Arathi Highlands, and Horde players challenge them by contributing professions items, gold, and War Resources to help their faction build up enough strength to attack. This is a region-wide effort.
    • Once enough contributions are supplied by the region, the Warfront: Battle for Stromgarde unlocks and Horde players are able to queue for the experience. This queue remains open for a set duration, allowing players to complete the Warfront on a schedule that works for them.
    • After the Horde attack is complete, the Horde takes control of Arathi Highlands, giving them access to a unique World Boss and a series of rare spawns and other rewards only available during the period when their faction owns the zone.
    • The Alliance then begins contributing resources to challenge Horde control.

How a Faction Contributes to Launching a Warfront
    In order to cycle the Warfront territory between each faction, the faction that is currently not in control must contribute enough resources to launch their Warfront. This process has a similar method as the Broken Shore and is region wide. You can see the progress percentage at any time by opening up the map of your faction's hub. The faction in control of Arathi Highlands can check their Warfronts board to see how close the opposite faction is to regaining control.

• There are daily profession quests that allow turning in your profession materials to contribute.
    • You can contribute 100 gold a day to help progress the bar as well.
    • If you do not have the gold or professions available, you can repeatedly turn in 100 war resources as many times as you like.
    • Each contribution rewards 500 Artifact Power, which is not a small amount!
    • You also receive 150 reputation with either the 7th Legion or Honorbound depending on your faction.

Where to Queue for Warfronts
    When your faction is within the window of launching a Warfront, you need only to head to the Warfront table to queue up! It is important to note that the faction who launches a Warfront will always win. This is to make sure that control actively fluctuates between both factions.

Alliance Base: Stromgarde Keep
    Stromgarde Keep is where the Alliance's base of operations is held.

Horde Base: Az'Gorok
    The Horde now have their own base of operations in Arathi Highlands called Az'Gorok. It is situated slightly Northeast of Stromgarde.

The Flow of a Warfront
    The very first thing that happens in a Warfront is you and your teammates floating in and taking back your Great Hall/Town Hall from the enemy. This happens by slaying a named opposite faction NPC that is holding the building.

Next players split into two groups and retake the mine, lumber gathering area, and defend the main base as needed. Retaking these areas involves killing an elite named NPC and claiming the flag.

After retaking the resource generating points, groups pushing forward with troops and retaking enemy strongholds all the way across the map to the enemy keep should be the main objective. In order to do so, you will need vehicles from the workshop to destroy the towers/gates. During all of this, you will need to defend against incoming attacks and continue gathering resources.

Warfront Map
    You can use your Warfront Map to see icons displaying controlled bases, how far along constructions are, locations of teammates and enemies, and locations of troops.

Warfront Resources
    After you regain control of your main building, the next step (and most important) is to start collecting resources to upgrade buildings, train troops, and create other buildings. There are only three different resources in a Warfront to collect.

• Iron - Iron is the most important resource in a Warfront. It is used to build/upgrade buildings, get additional support, upgrade and recruit troops and vehicles, and also in getting buffs from your base's altar.
      • Iron is accumulated passively once your team takes control of the nearby mine. Passive iron is collected at the main hall.
      • Iron can also be collected by mine carts at the mine.
      • Miners can mine iron from nodes.
    • Wood - Wood is not as useful as Iron, but is needed for certain aspects as well. It is used to upgrade troops, buildings, and for buffs from the altars.
      • Wood does not generate passively. You must collect it in the fields north of Stromgarde by chopping down trees.
      • Peons will cut down trees or you can cut them down yourself.
    • Essence of Storms - This is a very rare currency that can be looted from rare NPC opponents. They are needed to provide the Call of the Storm from your altar for 5 minutes.

Warfront Buildings
    The general flow of a Warfront involves collecting enough resources to construct and upgrade a plethora of different buildings that help achieve the ultimate goal of storming the opponent's keep and taking out their leader.

• Great Hall/Town Hall - This building is acquired automatically at the start of the fight once you take out the opposing commander.
      • Required to construct any other building.
      • Can be upgraded twice.
      • Upgrade 1 provides more peons, faster troop production, and commander troops.
      • Upgrade 2 provides more peons, faster troop production, increased damage from certain vehicles and allows commander troops to use special abilities.
    • Barracks - Barracks is the powerhouse of troop production. Once constructed, you are able to recruit troops that will defend the keep and attack enemies as they travel along paths. There are many different troops from basic grunts to healers, some of which requires areas on the map to be captured first.
    • Armory/War Mill - The Armory/War Mill is utilized to upgrade the armor and weapons of your troops.

• Altar/Shrine - After building the Barracks, players can turn in resources to acquire Bristling Power or use their Essence of Storms for Call of the Storm from your altar for 5 minutes.

• Workshop - This building allows you to build vehicles, which are necessary to take the enemy base. There is a limit of three active vehicles at once.

Other Objectives
    During the course of the battle you will have to also send troops and players to attack and control different bases around the map. This is done by taking out enemies and their commander and then capping the flag in the area. Controlling bases opens up more options in upgrades. The opposite faction can reclaim these bases so they must be defended. During this time random elements, such as rare boss mobs and enemies, can attack as optional objectives.

How to Win Warfronts
    The main objective of a Warfront is to muster a strong enough force to attack the enemy base and take out the commander.

• Your team will always win, however, you can make sure this happens faster by playing the Warfront strategically.
    • You can be rewarded randomly with a piece of gear that has the aspirant Warfront appearance at the end of the match
    • Another Warfront appearance can be acquired from killing rares or the world bosses in Arathi Highlands for gear when you control the area.
    • The rarest Warfront gear appearance can come from the weekly quest chest from doing Warfront: The Battle for Stromgarde or Warfront: The Battle for Stromgarde

Arathi Highlands Warfront Rewards
    Controlling Arathi Highlands gives you access to your War Machine world boss as well as a plethora of rares that can drop both mounts and gear!

Warfront Achievements

NameSidePoints
    An Eventful BattleComplete the following random events in the Battle for Stromgarde:
    The Dirty FiveRaise 5 War Campaign Champions to Epic Level.
    Azeroth at War: After LordaeronComplete the following missions listed below:
    Horde 10
    Azeroth at War: Kalimdor on FireComplete the following missions listed below:
    Horde 10
    Azeroth at War: The BarrensComplete the following missions listed below:
    Horde 10
    Leader of TroopsRecruit one of every troop type in the Battle for Stromgarde.
    Horde 10
    Strike FastCapture every location in the Battle for Stromgarde.
    Horde 10
    Strike HardCapture a location in the Battle for Stromgarde.
    Horde 10
    Tour of WarDefeat the following enemy commanders in the Battle for Stromgarde:
    Horde 10
    War is HellComplete the Battle for Stromgarde.
    Horde 10
    Azeroth at War: After LordaeronComplete the following missions listed below:
    Alliance 10
    Azeroth at War: Kalimdor on FireComplete the following missions listed below:
    Alliance 10
    Azeroth at War: The BarrensComplete the following missions listed below:
    Alliance 10
    Leader of TroopsRecruit one of every troop type in the Battle for Stromgarde.
    Alliance 10
    Strike FastCapture every location in the Battle for Stromgarde.
    Alliance 10
    Strike HardCapture a location in the Battle for Stromgarde.
    Alliance 10
    Tour of WarDefeat the following enemy commanders in the Battle for Stromgarde:
    Alliance 10
    War is HellComplete the Battle for Stromgarde.
    Alliance 10
    Last edited by chaud; 2018-08-13 at 11:31 AM.

Stood in the Fire Grimalkin of Old's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Battle of Stromgarde in Arathi Highlands is the first and only Warfront available at launch.
    Not sure about that https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20767746762#1

Stopped reading after 'It is important to note that the faction who launches a Warfront will always win.'

This just sounds like an absolute waste of resources, and the fact that you can't actual lose\fail the warfront is pathetic.

Maybe I misread but in the very beginning, didnt they announce it will be PvP not PvE?

Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    Maybe I misread but in the very beginning, didnt they announce it will be PvP not PvE?
    Nah was always PvE oriented.

That's islands.

Deleted
    @chaud

• Each contribution rewards 750 Artifact Power, which is not a small amount!
    • You also receive 500 reputation with either the 7th Legion or Honorbound depending on your faction.

It was changed to 500 Azerite and 150 rep in beta AFAIK

Quote Originally Posted by coprax View Post
    Stopped reading after 'It is important to note that the faction who launches a Warfront will always win.'
    That's what I think as well, what's the point of doing it if there's no chance of failure?

On the other hand, the complete game is designed like this. In the beginning of WoW quests actually had mobs which kicked your ass. Overpulling was dangerous. Now you pull as many mobs as possible just to nuke them down in seconds. Nowadays every quest is trivial. Even more so with the addons which put you into a group with players from various servers to kill 12 mobs. (I'm glad this is gone)

No, there are 3vs3 Island Expeditions which are PvE AND PvP, Warfronts was always PvE only.

I just hope this will not be too taxing on the fps. I hate playing in large groups that kills fps, and thus, all enjoyment in the content. Hopefully the split into two groups will fix/help with this

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    This just sounds like an absolute waste of resources, and the fact that you can't actual lose\fail the warfront is pathetic.
    You can fail by doing it slow. This is very important in gear focused games. If you could fail, Blizzard would only make it a 0.1% chance of failing, like LFR, and you know how fun that is.

Does anyone have an idea why the game turned to a no-fail adventure over the years? Isn't it more motivating if you can fail and work on yourself in order to overcome the challenge?

Why would a designer do that?

Quote Originally Posted by FluxAureo View Post
    @chaud

• Each contribution rewards 750 Artifact Power, which is not a small amount!
    • You also receive 500 reputation with either the 7th Legion or Honorbound depending on your faction.

It was changed to 500 Azerite and 150 rep in beta AFAIK
    Updated, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by familiar View Post
    Yeah, fair point. I was using "launch" as before the first patch.

Yuppie,super noob friendly environment,where you can't get killed and can't face an actual resistance from an opponent. What's the point of fighting if you know,that you will win anyways?

"It is important to note that the faction who launches a Warfront will always win." LOL! Disappointment commence! I hate to be negative...but where is the bright side?

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felixon View Post
    Yuppie,super noob friendly environment,where you can't get killed and can't face an actual resistance from an opponent. What's the point of fighting if you know,that you will win anyways?
    Access to a worldboss if I understood it right. Like the achievement says; 'War is Hell'

Suppose it's a throwback to long BGs with participants rarely ever fighting each other and just doing their part to help with a win... Will have to wait to see how it plays out.
    Last edited by Tiwack; 2018-08-13 at 12:19 PM.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

What an utter fail.... i dont understand who will be interested to play this pve garbage where you can't even lose! What is the point? Why do they cater for lowest nominee?
    I hope that such new features will go as far as possible so it will be a time for players to wake up and stop chewing this garbage and maybe would be a possible swing back to normality.

Really hope they manage to keep this relevant. Its something else to do. But i fear as soon as people got their mounts. the gear won't matter anymore and people will just stop doing it and blizzard won't add new shit

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Felixon View Post
    On my server alliance haven't had tol barad in years. They simply can't win it. If this was a battle thing were people could loose. Then one side might sit with all the world quests, world bosses and shit. And the other faction would never be able to do them. How is that going to work out in the long run ?

Speaking from experience as tank who did several Warfront cycles - if your raid doesn't interrupt/burn down casters, then the AI will chain-polymorph tanks mercilessly to the point you will hunt down those casters with vengeance...

I understand the reasoning of auto-outcome warfronts so both factions have a fair chance at the world bosses and stuff. But I foresee that a few weeks into warfronts being available, no one will bother to join in when their faction is on defense because there will be no point.
    Solution would be to just have that stuff be available for both sides, regardless of who won. It's not like it would matter anyways.

Deleted
    thats sound utterly boring
    - when i first heard of warfronts as an rts element, i pictured 30-60 min games - where you collect wood and build towers and stuff with a big group of heroes.

But this nah