Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Tanking is easy but requires patience.

It took me to level 51 on a tank toon before I lost it. Players pulling shit when I have things on cd, etc

7+ Year Old Account
    I gave up on tanking. The instant queues are not worth having to put up with idiots ninja pulling, DPS yelling at you to pull more when the healer is OOM or even worse DPS standing in stuff so the healer focuses them so you die. I've experienced all that in BfA dungeons and I've now hung up my shield.

But an opinion? Prot Paladin is fine. It's easy as heck and you have strong CDs to blow if it gets too intense.

If you're interested in tanking Preach did a basic guide in 5 parts for it.

I've never tanked either and I've been playing this game on and off since the south park episode.

Tanking has always appeared stressful and intimidating to me. I prefer sitting back and healing in pve, far less stressful.

dps players have to stress themselves out with the meters, and tanks have way too much responsibility that I don't care for. Maybe I'll give it a try one day.

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    Mechanically it's the easiest role.

But you need to know every nuance of the content you're doing and will catch shit about it from the rabble until you're experienced. It makes a vicious circle where people have too much anxiety to play a tank, thus the low populations. It's like volunteering for public speaking.

Deleted
    Top level tanking and very high mythic+ put a lot of responsibility on tanks and makes it very hard at that kind of level, either through lack of gear or controlling the fights. Tanking is more about knowing the entire encounter then it is knowing your "rotation"

If you play at a level where its not important if you do every mechanic then tanking is the easiest roll as making small mistakes that impact the group doesn't matter and tank class mechanics/rotations are pretty simple

Deleted
    It's easy, but very unforgiving. You fuck up, everybody dies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tanking does require you to act as the leader of the group in most cases, what's important is that you find a group that allows you to learn. Playing any spec/role in WoW is equally difficult/easy, it's all about experience. So i suggest you just get into it with everything you've got, worst that can happen is someone insults you, just shrug that of and keep on tanking!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    It's easy, but very unforgiving. You fuck up, everybody dies.
    Not to mention it's common to get blamed even when you haven't done anything wrong. DPS or Healer made a mistake? Shit tank!

I think tanking is fun provided you learn your spec, maintain a high level of awareness(rarely, if ever mentioned in guides for no apparent reason) and have the confidence to tell people to pipe the fuck down when they get mouthy.

Personally I've just found some tank specs are super clunky(monk and stagger and DK with rune regen) rather than being hard.

I'm going to disagree with some people here, but I will agree that tanking is generally pretty easy. But you do need some leadership thought, as you are the one leading the charge.

I think because of that, and needing to know where to go and what to pull and pacing, that tanking is the 2nd hardest.

I honestly think DPS is the hardest role, especially to do it well.

Healing is easiest, tanking being in the middle.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Tanking is not hard. Tanking well is.
    this exactly. The basics of tanking are mind boggling easy. You are pretty much a dps with a simplified rotation that has a forgiving set of healthpool & mitigation to passivly counter mechanics.
    The hard part begins when the content becomes hard (mostly true for mythic+ dungeons, not so much in raids) - because with your pulls you make the calls what your group has to face. The rest of the group is just reacting and participating in your actions, hence you have the most responsibility. To face this you will need to know every crucial ability of every mob of each pull you do while estimating the abilitys of your own group to counter them. This is very stressful and even slight fuckups often result in wipes.

Most of the tanks i know hate going with pugs more then dps or heal character do because having a personal connection to your groupmates reliefs most of the stress. Beeing in contact in discord/teamspeak with them to talk about pulls spreads the responsibility and makes you feel far more comfortable while tanking.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Loveliest View Post
    Do it! Tanking as a paladin is awesome. Not only do you get to tank, but you can do so so much more for your party than all the other tanks. You have the heals, you have sacrifice, you have bop, you have an extra (ranged) interrupt on your shield, you can dispell diseases and poison, you have hand of freedom, it's awesome. And if you're a belf you can now dispell magic buffs from mobs as well.
    Tanking is not just about aggro and popping survival CDs. It's about protecting your entire party and keeping an eye on everything. People who say tanking is boring or who only do the bare minimum just aren't doing it right.

If a party member dies and you have Lay on Hands off CD, you're a bad tank. If you're letting the healer dispell your poison and then wait around while the other 4 people still have the debuff, you're a bad tank. If you rush ahead and pull too many mobs and kill all your party due to unavoidable damage, you're a bad tank (even if you can survive on your own). If you pull mobs out of a mage's frost orb or other placed AoE, you're a bad tank. You get the point.
    Tanks are leaders and protectors.
    That's what a prot paladin have to be in a nutshell!
    Playing was a tank is not easy but also not hard, keep your eyes on the healer mana and try to understand the pace of the party. Keep the agro away from the party and interrupt as much was you can. Dispel, stun, off heal when need to keep the pressure away from the healer, use you CD´s when you see a there's going to be a huge damage inc. Basically keep thing's under control

Quote Originally Posted by Monteverdi View Post
    There's a pretty key thing to realize about tanking. Tanking isn't about keeping aggro, staying alive, etc. Those are a part of what you're doing, but they're not the true goal.

Tanking is about controlling the battle.

Can you intelligently position enemies? Keep on top of interrupts? Time your cooldowns properly (not blow them too early - trust your healers - but not neglect them when needed)?

I would say that tanking is the most mechanically intense of the three roles. Which is refreshing for a lot of folks who play tank. The way you tank sets a flow for the whole group, and it really keeps you in control in a lot of ways. You're not tied to worrying about numbers, you're worried about the big picture. If you've got that kind of awareness, so you can see the picture as a whole and work to control the battlefield well, then tanking is for you. And it isn't 'hard', not any harder than DPS or healing. It's just different, and some will thrive in that difference while others will not.
    This!
    Keeping aggro, using that CD in the right time or dodging that killer ability are the base of tanking and the first thing any tank should do. Those are things easy to achieve and what separates a bad tank from a decent tank.
    To be really good, there is more to it - as a healer you probably noticed it already, that "leeroy jenkins~- style tank" who goes in and pulls everything making a dungeon go fast, but frustrating the dps and making the healer work twice as hard for the same result, or the overly-cautious tank who pulls one pack at a time, making you fall asleep while healing...a good tank keeps a balance between all this, maximizing both the flow / speed of the dungeon and the dps / healing their team-mates are able to do, and in case of paladin tanking, providing some really good support. It's a really reactive role and requires not some special skill, but knowledge of the game and its mechanics and your class, which you gain with experience.

Tanking isn't bad, you just need to know what the enemies do, and how to properly place them so your dps has room to do their thing / cleave any stationary targets.
    Never underestimate the unknown, or some shit. *shrugs i unno*

Quote Originally Posted by Loveliest View Post
    Do it! Tanking as a paladin is awesome. Not only do you get to tank, but you can do so so much more for your party than all the other tanks. You have the heals, you have sacrifice, you have bop, you have an extra (ranged) interrupt on your shield, you can dispell diseases and poison, you have hand of freedom, it's awesome. And if you're a belf you can now dispell magic buffs from mobs as well.
    Tanking is not just about aggro and popping survival CDs. It's about protecting your entire party and keeping an eye on everything. People who say tanking is boring or who only do the bare minimum just aren't doing it right.

If a party member dies and you have Lay on Hands off CD, you're a bad tank. If you're letting the healer dispell your poison and then wait around while the other 4 people still have the debuff, you're a bad tank. If you rush ahead and pull too many mobs and kill all your party due to unavoidable damage, you're a bad tank (even if you can survive on your own). If you pull mobs out of a mage's frost orb or other placed AoE, you're a bad tank. You get the point.
    Tanks are leaders and protectors.
    I heard Prot warriors got boned.

On one hand, I don't really understand why people are making like tank is a big deal to play. Tbh it's not as difficult as the others roles. You just gotta go through it. Much like DPS and Heal, it may not be easy to *master* it.
    On the other hand I don't mind if there aren't any tank. Instant queues in dungeons until you get 120 are nice. Probably the fastest way to get your toon there.

I wouldn't recommend paladin for playing a tank though. There are easier classes, like BDK or Druid. The DH isn't difficult either if you quickly want to learn the basics of tanking and it has an advantage of already being a lvl 100 toon.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiz View Post
    On one hand, I don't really understand why people are making like tank is a big deal to play. Tbh it's not as difficult as the others roles. You just gotta go through it. Much like DPS and Heal, it may not be easy to *master* it.
    On the other hand I don't mind if there aren't any tank. Instant queues in dungeons until you get 120 are nice. Probably the fastest way to get your toon there.

I wouldn't recommend paladin for playing a tank though. There are easier classes, like BDK or Druid. The DH isn't difficult either if you quickly want to learn the basics of tanking and it has an advantage of already being a lvl 100 toon.
    Paladin is currently one of the better tanks >.< and super easy to play

I prot pally tanked since blood elves were added to the game. Tanking can be rather fun, and not to hard, found healing way harder to do. Usually the stuff is pretty simple, hold threat and face the boss away from the group.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Paladin is currently one of the better tanks >.< and super easy to play
    Never said they were bad. Actually it's quite the opposite. I said "easier" as in getting to know how to tank. Paladins have way more buttons than the others classes, and it needs to be played longer to be able to fully optimize them.

Look for example BDK : All you have to do is using Marrowrend and a few Death Strike to survive 90% of the stuff. Compare it with paladins where they can't get shield of the righteous up for an infinite time. Later on, especially in raids, they have to juggle up with differents defensive CDs.

7+ Year Old Account
    Taken purely from a perspective of handling your rotation, boss positioning and mechanics tanking is rather easy to deal with most of the time. Since TBC threat hasn't really mattered and thus the significance of doing a good rotation matters a lot less. Mind you it helps, but it's not such a noticeable different as with a DPS or healer.

However that's what an average tank does, and if all you're content with being is average then it's easy to get there, but a good tank is one who sets the pace of the raid, who understands the bosses not just from what he or she has to deal with but what the entire raid has to deal with, who has a good awareness of everything going on and can help out at crucial times.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."