Page 1 of 22
... LastLast

Is DOOM Eternal a fight back against SJWs?

Firstly, this thread isn't about the game itself. My interest here is primarily about the ongoing culture war in the gaming industry.

Some months ago I created a thread about the backlash to the upcoming new Battlefield V game from EA. The backlash was due to the obvious SJW politics being thrown into what people were hoping was going to be a historically accurate game. In the last few days DICE exec Joseph Soderlund recently quit just prior to the games release. Many believe he quit before being fired due to Battlefield V abysmal pre orders.

Not surprising when Soderlund told his fanbase if they don't like the SJW direction EA is taking then they shouldn't buy the game. Many people seem to have taken his advice to heart.

DOOM Eternal released a demo recently and has attracted controversy for the opposite reason. Throughout the demo there are holograms telling people to "remain calm, it's all part of the plan", a clear reference to the same language used during the recent refugee influx into Europe. Another example is the hologram telling people to welcome the demon invaders, and to not call them demons but 'mortally challenged'.

Many believe this is a deliberate ploy by Id Software to cash in on the anti SJW sentiments currently in gaming. It is going to be very interesting to see the sales performance of each respective game. Would the politics in each game influence whether you purchase it or not? Or is it only about the gameplay?

I can't imagine the level of stanky incel you'd have to be to read that into it.

DOOM Eternal released a demo recently and has attracted controversy for the opposite reason. Throughout the demo there are holograms telling people to "remain calm, it's all part of the plan", a clear reference to the same language used during the recent refugee influx into Europe. Another example is the hologram telling people to welcome the demon invaders, and to not call them demons but 'mortally challenged'.
    Bog standard jokes.

And Doom is exactly as "masculine" as it has always been.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    It's for sure going to be the manliest game available and I love it for that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    Soderlund told his fanbase if they don't like the SJW direction EA is taking then they shouldn't buy the game. Many people seem to have taken his advice to heart.
    SJW politics or not, if you talk to your fan base in a disparaging manner for whatever reason it'll come back to bite you hard.

Remember Mattricks fucking awful attitude at the Xbox One launch? "Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it's called Xbox 360,". Killed the (at the time) top console brand in one weekend.

Both condescending pricks, both got their comeuppance. I have no sympathy for Soderlund and if his games bombs because he shoe horned his SJW politics into it then i feel bad for the devs that don't have those political leanings and will see their hard work under appreciated because of retarded management decisions.

I don't think Doom Eternal is a 'fight back', it's a tongue in cheek send up of it. It was always obvious the perpetually outraged and offended vocal minority of leftist ideologues would take exception and ID would have been fully aware of that.

Really feels like you are reading into things here man

Quote Originally Posted by Kheala View Post
    SJW politics or not, if you talk to your fan base in a disparaging manner for whatever reason it'll come back to bite you hard.

Remember Mattricks fucking awful attitude at the Xbox One launch? "Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it's called Xbox 360,". Killed the (at the time) top console brand in one weekend.

Both condescending pricks, both got their comeuppance. I have no sympathy for Soderlund and if his games bombs because he shoe horned his SJW politics into it then i feel bad for the devs that don't have those political leanings and will see their hard work under appreciated because of retarded management decisions.

I don't think Doom Eternal is a 'fight back', it's a tongue in cheek send up of it. It was always obvious the perpetually outraged and offended vocal minority of leftist ideologues would take exception and ID would have been fully aware of that.
    Either way, it's still a brave move because it will attract the ire of the sjw gaming media, which ensures it gets negative reviews. This could be a tipping point, if Doom sells really well other studios might be tempted to poke sjws in the eye.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like I'm being baited.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Deleted
    No it is not, stop politicysing everything. Doom is doom, it always been just about murdering demons. A simple guy who takes joy in what he does, Just murdering demons. I WOULD be fine if somehow all thsi time the doomslayer been a woman, then it's just a woman doing what she enjoys, and that is murdering demons.

MAKE you pick a gender, and make it have NO affect, as you never hear your voice, nor see the Real you, just a suit of armor, and Armor does not have a gender, that would be perfect, just to make a point that doom does not care, The doom slayer just REALLY love murdering demons.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I can't imagine the level of stanky incel you'd have to be to read that into it.

Bog standard jokes.

And Doom is exactly as "masculine" as it has always been.
    https://www.gamerevolution.com/featu...nsively-boring
    https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/0...gration/66299/

I agree. Stupid incel leftists can't take a joke.

10+ Year Old Account
    The fact something has to "fight back against SJW's" is sad on it's own.

To quote Clint Eastwood: "...because secretly everybody’s getting tired of political correctness, kissing up. That’s the kiss-ass generation we’re in right now. We’re really in a pussy generation. Everybody’s walking on eggshells.".

I did not see anything in the video that seemed anti-sjw or "a return to Western masculinity". This is one of those instances where the OP and the video he linked is so obsessed with SJWs that they're going to read SJW or non-SJW subtext anywhere. My advice is to take a step back out of whatever internet bubble you've immersed yourself in until you re-enter some semblance of reality.

This is not a fight back against SJWs its just a marketing campaign for a game.

They promoted Wolfenstein the same way obviously not with demons but instead shitting on Nazis because shitting on Nazis is all Wolfenstein was ever about.

In this you have propaganda telling you the demons are not evil and yadayadayada meanwhile you have a person who gleefully murders every single damn demon because thats what doom has always been about, indescriminate murder of all the demons.

Yes the Wolfenstein one could be spun in a way to make it seem like a stance against the far right but trying to make the doom one about current SJW issues is just dumb.
    Last edited by Donald Hellscream; 2018-08-20 at 09:17 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not at all. It is just poking fun at idiocy whilst providing fun brutal demon slaying antics. I think people being offended by it was inevitable since they are the type of over the top whiny cunts that the satire was poking fun at.

10+ Year Old Account
    People expect Battlefield to be historically accurate? Fuck that, I already had to play as a pigeon, if that's their definition of "accurate" then let it all burn.
    /s

Firstly, this thread isn't about the game itself. My interest here is primarily about the ongoing culture war in the gaming industry.

Some months ago I created a thread about the backlash to the upcoming new Battlefield V game from EA. The backlash was due to the obvious SJW politics being thrown into what people were hoping was going to be a historically accurate game. In the last few days DICE exec Joseph Soderlund recently quit just prior to the games release. Many believe he quit before being fired due to Battlefield V abysmal pre orders.

Not surprising when Soderlund told his fanbase if they don't like the SJW direction EA is taking then they shouldn't buy the game. Many people seem to have taken his advice to heart.

Many believe this is a deliberate ploy by Id Software to cash in on the anti SJW sentiments currently in gaming. It is going to be very interesting to see the sales performance of each respective game. Would the politics in each game influence whether you purchase it or not? Or is it only about the gameplay?
    "I hate identity politics in video games...unless it's identity politics that i agree with"
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Doom Eternal is what the franchise always has been, a manly display of violence and Gore with an "I don't give a fuck" attitude. Doom continues to be a game designed for and caters towards men, it's one of the stronger examples of masculinity in gaming, something leftists are continually trying to kill off and replace it with some soft replacement. I wonder how many of them realize that you can be masculine and compassionate, you don't have to be a bloody wussy in order to be compassionate and caring.

Pretty accurate. /10chars

Also, SJW traitors should think instead of being offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I did not see anything in the video that seemed anti-sjw or "a return to Western masculinity". This is one of those instances where the OP and the video he linked is so obsessed with SJWs that they're going to read SJW or non-SJW subtext anywhere. My advice is to take a step back out of whatever internet bubble you've immersed yourself in until you re-enter some semblance of reality.
    hey, don't shoot the messenger. What drew this to me was the sjw reaction to it. @Laurcus kindly linked a few articles showing sjw melt down to it. If you truly believe the reaction is overblown then you have an issue with sjws, not me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Hellscream View Post
    Its exactly the same as they did with Wolfenstein, they use current political issues as a marketing tool.

Which really is just good marketing and thats that.
    Certainly better than EA.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    "I hate identity politics in video games...unless it's identity politics that i agree with"
    I'd prefer no identity politics at all to be honest. If your game requires hinging on it to bring in a crowd, it's likely to be a horrid game regardless which side.

hey, don't shoot the messenger. What drew this to me was the sjw reaction to it. @Laurcus kindly linked a few articles showing sjw melt down to it. If you truly believe the reaction is overblown then you have an issue with sjws, not me.

- - - Updated - - -

Certainly better than EA.
    Arguably yeah, but the people throwing a fit over design choices etc. in Battlefield 5 are equally as pathetic as the evil SJWs