Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

The Real World of Workcraft :-)

Denizens of Azeroth, the Blood Death Knight known as Carnage (US - Lightninghoof) humbly request your assistance. We are working on a study to examine the process and determining factors that led to your choices and decisions of faction, race, class, and specialization in World of Warcraft and other Blizzard games.

To better serve our brothers and sisters of the Horde and Alliance, we require your aid in collecting preliminary Phase 1 data via a brief 10-minute questionnaire. Players that participate will be notified of our findings and invited to Phase 2. For more details, please click on the link below and to be directed to the questionnaire start page:

https://unlv.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/f...qy1PZFDfwODDAF

Here is my LinkedIn if anyone cares to follow my progress with the gaming research or to just say hi and connect https://www.linkedin.com/in/maxasirabian/

EDIT: Given the overwhelming response so far (1,000+) - and the concerns over Battle Tag and Ethnicity questions - I submitted a revison to the IRB and removed the Battle Tag and Ethnicity questions from the survey. This should set participants at ease of the data collection process!

The goal is 2,000 participants!

Thank you.
    Last edited by mgarsi2; 2018-04-18 at 07:08 PM.
    Feed The Panda

Sick roleplay my d00d.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hail from UNLV! I actually just got my BSBA there last year.

That said, I think you might get more responses from people without asking for personal contact info. Asking for btag is something that many people would hesitate to participate in.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post

That said, I think you might get more responses from people without asking for personal contact info. Asking for btag is something that many people would hesitate to participate in.
    That's why I won't participate. I understand that unique battle tags ensure that players don't stuff the ballot...but I can't imagine anyone would do this more than once anyway.

People from Norway, Switzerland and Iceland are not allowed to take this survey.

Battletag id? Aaaaaand I'm out.

Quote Originally Posted by Suluhu View Post
    People from Norway, Switzerland and Iceland are not allowed to take this survey.

Good one

Quote Originally Posted by vlobben View Post
    I just wrote: penischeese - et voila.... gained the ability to answer the questionnaire.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    I just wrote: penischeese - et voila.... gained the ability to answer the questionnaire.
    God damnit, I didn't give you permission to use my battle tag!

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you Talvindius :-)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post

Right, in our previous survey, we only asked for the WOW charcter name and realm. Here is the reason: We want to match objective data through raider.io and wowprogress, and similar sites from overwatch and HOTS to self report.

The only thing a battle tag shows - or will be used for is to look at the data from publicly available sites to ultimately create a "gamer scale" and that's all I can say for now :-).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Suluhu View Post
    Why is that? Is it a regional block or something in the survey? If it's in the survey I can update.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vlobben View Post
    Vlobben, I get it. I really do. Here is my battle tag - Carnage#1867

My previous survey only focused on WOW so we asked for character name and realm, but now we want to cross-validate through other games - for example, if you're a tank in WOW do you also play tank in Overwatch and HOTS - etc.

I could send you my papers/presentations (accepted into conferences) to get the whole background if you're interested.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    That works, if you're not comfortable providing your battle tag, don't. It's just a way to match responses to objective data. For example, someone that plays WOW for 10-15 hours a week and is 11/11M vs someone that palys WOW for 20-30 hours a week and is 6/11M but they both consider themsleves "hardcore". Same thing for Overwatch and HOTS.
    Feed The Panda

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TelefonoGatewood View Post
    Sorry but collecting and storing a register of ethnicity is considered legally sensitive personal information in most of EU and since you're asking for bnet tag, that information can be tied to a real person - which means you very much need to think about legal aspects of processing this data.

Perhaps asking ethnicity is commonplace in US but it felt rather tasteless to me.
    It is in US, but no data is being stored. Once the survey is complete everything is deleted. As far as the Btag goes - as I mentioned above, it's only to match self report with objective data. Usually we only do character and realm for WOW, but with Overwatch and HOTS, we need a Btag to look across the games. As far as legality, this study has the full board approval of the Instiutional Review Board.

My only goal is to create an assessment/selection tool that takes into consideration the amount of time we spend with video games andthe knowledge, skills, and abilities they may teach us - that's what the first study was all about - Sirabian, M.A., Weidner, N.W., Prewett, M.S. (2016). Acquisition of KSAO's through online games and virtual team collaborations. Symposium presented at the 31st annual conference of the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Annaheim, CA.

Sirabian, M.A. is me :-).
    Feed The Panda

Sorry but collecting and storing a register of ethnicity is considered legally sensitive personal information in most of EU and since you're asking for bnet tag, that information can be tied to a real person - which means you very much need to think about legal aspects of processing this data.

Perhaps asking ethnicity is commonplace in US but it felt rather tasteless to me.
    this. exactly.

10+ Year Old Account
    So why collect the demographic data at all? Is there actual necessity to collect/process that data in your study? It does not seem to be in proportion to your goals.
    You probably want to have a look at GDPR if you want to collect personal data from EU citizens.
    One of our hypothesis is that within gaming, demogrpahic data will not drive achivements/performance. Translated to the real world. It shouldn't matter how old someone is or where they're from. The only thing that should be considered is their ability to perform.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    That's shady enough for me. What do we get in return?
    I could go into detail. Please send me a direct message if you want the summary.

In short - think Bartle Taxonomy of Player Types, but modern and cross-validated with current selection tools be used in place of normal assessments (or in addition to).

Hopefully, we get to put our gaming experiences in our resume and have it count for something. For instance, "Volunteer" or "Sports" or other hobbies such as "Music" inspire certain thoughts and get linked to leadership, teamwork, skills, and abilities - but gaming - only activates negative responses.
    Feed The Panda

Started it, but gave up when it asked the same question three times in a row =X

Always hated that part in college where assignments was we needed to go out and questionnaire people.

I hated bugging people in the streets so much.

Hey, UNLV represent.

Started the survey, saw the first question, gave up.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Darkener View Post
    If you've never worked with Orthodox Jews then you have no idea how dirty they are. Yes, they are very dirty and I don't mean just hygiene
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    most of the rioters were racist black people with a personal hatred for white people, and it was those bigots who were in fact the primary force engaged in the anarchistic and lawless behavior in Charlottesville.

Finished the survey.

Quote Originally Posted by mgarsi2 View Post
    Why is that? Is it a regional block or something in the survey? If it's in the survey I can update.
    Because those countries are not in the European Union as that's the only thing you can choose besides "Eastern Europe". I would have much rather seen choices as either just "Europe" as a whole, or if you really want to, have "Central / Western / Eastern / Nordic", since those include the biggest cultural differencies among the European countries.

says on the page asking for battle tag
    "If you still feel uncomfortable providing your Battletag ID please type in: Will Not Provide"