Thread: Blood DK ftw?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Naiyano View Post
    I don't know. My ST usually caps at 5-6k dps on Patchwerk-Style bosses. Aoe with bonestorm is quite good. Overall I usually have 7-8k dps. Depending on the dungeon of course. As I play tank dk alot i really don't know if it's much or not because i can not compare.

Death Strike could heal a bit more though. Sometimes it feels a bit weak. But i played a lot in Legion so maybe i have to get used to it.
    Death strike is very depending on timing,now more than before,just don't spam it when you can and try to use it to counter damage instead

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by quizzlemanizzle View Post
    it is not bad for Arms Warriors to pull aggro when they have their parry personal ready. In fact it reduces the damage in take as the Warrior is simply tanking for a couple seconds until the tank grabs aggro back.
    Until they get aggro on a caster or any mob using magic damage

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumpa View Post
    It may be just me but blood dk feels freaking amazing. I’ve done nothing but dungeons so far to level and it just feels amazing to play. How is it at max level in mythics?
    I play pally and dk tank. It feels way better on my DK, and tanked all mythics 3 times now. I just miss the mobillity of the pally on my DK :P but its a bit better then in legion atleast.

Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    Death strike is very depending on timing,now more than before,just don't spam it when you can and try to use it to counter damage instead
    I know this of course Big hits are not the problem. Actually they are kind of fun. It's the small unpredictable damage that annoys me. It's not lethal but ressources are in high demand for blood at the moment and it should feel like death strike is doing something. These are "first world" problems of course. I'm looking at you warrior and druids

Deleted
    the issue we have with aoe threat is that our blood boil has a cooldown,and isn't really damaging
    Compared to keg smash spam+breath of fire,or hammer of the righteous and avenger shield,it's pretty weak
    We also don't have increased threat abilities outside of taunts,so we'll lose in aoe threat against other tanks 9 times out of 10.We're pretty good at single target threat though

Also blood plague is nothing more than a flavour ability atm,its damage and healing is laughable,which means you don't have an actual constant aoe threat generation outside of DnD,which is still pretty low
    Hmm I haven't had any threat problems up until now. I do around 10-12k dps on 4-5 mobs easily, starting with a DnD and a blood boil and I haven't really lost aggro unless a dps is really funneling all his cooldowns into one single mob which I'm not focusing. Granted, our aoe threat is laughable compared to a tank warrior for example with his thunderclaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormstrîke View Post
    Hmm I haven't had any threat problems up until now. I do around 10-12k dps on 4-5 mobs easily, starting with a DnD and a blood boil and I haven't really lost aggro unless a dps is really funneling all his cooldowns into one single mob which I'm not focusing. Granted, our aoe threat is laughable compared to a tank warrior for example with his thunderclaps.
    Yeah,it's not much of a problem now,but it could cause issues in an environment with two tanks,and the power creep from the DPS could end up a bit problematic

BDK isn't anything to write home about, we are basically middle of the pack atm. The spec will be extremely weak in Uldir due to most bosses having tank mechanics suited towards sustained mitigation, a BDK is really going to be getting trucked in that place. We also aren't the king of 5 mans anymore due to all the things we lost from our artifact. The new M+ tank will be DHs who basically can do everything that a DK can do while being incredibly mobile, providing far more DPS, lots of displacements/silences and better mitigation.

BFA was probably a bad time to decide to main a BDK. With how strong we were in Legion I doubt that they will be giving us any love.
    Last edited by Grrdian; 2018-09-04 at 04:11 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grrdian View Post
    BFA was probably a bad time to decide to main a BDK. With how strong we were in Legion I doubt that they will be giving us any love.
    I honestly hope that is not the case. I seriously wagered if I wanted to play my prot paladin who was my 2nd char in Legion or play a blood dk like I did in WOD. And after researching a bit from the beta, blood seemed to be very strong and arguably the best tank for m+. Thats why I decided to go for the dk tank this time around... Still not too late to lvl up my prot pala haha. But I got too many plans for other chars already lol.

But staying ontopic, I feel good right now in m0. I don't know how it will be next ID when the trucks of m+ will be hitting hard tho.
    I can imagine that I will be having runic power Problems as sometimes it just takes a long time in a fresh fight to get those 90 or 100 runic power to activate bone storm. But I don't have that much haste yet so I hope it will get better.
    Last edited by mmoca1bc9cb6f0; 2018-09-04 at 05:14 AM.

Deleted

Until they get aggro on a caster or any mob using magic damage
    those usually dont have instant casts or one shot casts

Quote Originally Posted by Grrdian View Post
    BDK isn't anything to write home about, we are basically middle of the pack atm. The spec will be extremely weak in Uldir due to most bosses having tank mechanics suited towards sustained mitigation, a BDK is really going to be getting trucked in that place. We also aren't the king of 5 mans anymore due to all the things we lost from our artifact. The new M+ tank will be DHs who basically can do everything that a DK can do while being incredibly mobile, providing far more DPS, lots of displacements/silences and better mitigation.

I mean it will always be better than Nighthold and ToV where we were the worst tank in every kind of content and in every aspect

Quote Originally Posted by Stormstrîke View Post
    I honestly hope that is not the case. I seriously wagered if I wanted to play my prot paladin who was my 2nd char in Legion or play a blood dk like I did in WOD. And after researching a bit from the beta, blood seemed to be very strong and arguably the best tank for m+. Thats why I decided to go for the dk tank this time around... Still not too late to lvl up my prot pala haha. But I got too many plans for other chars already lol.

But staying ontopic, I feel good right now in m0. I don't know how it will be next ID when the trucks of m+ will be hitting hard tho.
    I can imagine that I will be having runic power Problems as sometimes it just takes a long time in a fresh fight to get those 90 or 100 runic power to activate bone storm. But I don't have that much haste yet so I hope it will get better.
    BDK will still be best/top tier for M+ with their toolkit. They'll still be middle->low in raids. DK still has AMS, while most other tanks lost their magic mitigation and magic/debuffs are more prevalent in dungeons.

5+ Year Old Account
    I just ran a +9 Shrine of the storms yesterday. Being able to AMS at the beginning of pulls to not build up stacks is a great way to start an encounter you're eventually going to have to run away from. At +9 with the affixes we have, adds are about 150% stronger and apply Necrotic at +7, lowering our healing and health over time. The talent of grasping hands to give Death and Decay an aoe 90% slow is GODLY, and a clever use of both that and LOS can make even those annoying "I cast forever and never move" pulls like in Tol'dagor into more manageable pulls.

I dislike this first week of mythics due to all of the "These adds are nightmarish specifically for tanks" affixes, so hopefully next week I'll be able to turn on Bonestorm and do what I do best:

Everything.

Any tips for +5 and above? I have 344 ilvl and I'm getting hit hard. Any talent set ups you guys prefer? Shld I take the dnd slow talent and kite a little? Should I face tank?

I struggled with +5 atal and beat it with a min left. Had to sheep / sap 1-2 mobs on the bigger packs or I'd get wrecked.

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Any tips for +5 and above? I have 344 ilvl and I'm getting hit hard. Any talent set ups you guys prefer? Shld I take the dnd slow talent and kite a little? Should I face tank?

I struggled with +5 atal and beat it with a min left. Had to sheep / sap 1-2 mobs on the bigger packs or I'd get wrecked.
    Shit, I feel like Im getting wrecked in a +2 and +3. Sitting at 347 ilvl and Gargoyle Rune on my weapon, my damage intake is so insanely high. Can't imagine what it feels like at +5

Quote Originally Posted by Extremeties View Post
    Shit, I feel like Im getting wrecked in a +2 and +3. Sitting at 347 ilvl and Gargoyle Rune on my weapon, my damage intake is so insanely high. Can't imagine what it feels like at +5
    I thought it was standard but did the next one as dps. Had a prot pally tank at 349 and he rolled thru the dungeon. Never ccd anything, didnt spike too low. Maybe the healer was better but idk.

I thought it was standard but did the next one as dps. Had a prot pally tank at 349 and he rolled thru the dungeon. Never ccd anything, didnt spike too low. Maybe the healer was better but idk.
    What were the dungeons? I didn't notice many issues tanking at 2/3 at 344.

Deleted

DnD slow-talent is imo only mandatory for this week when you tackle +7 or higher, cause of Necrotic. Or just take a frostmage with you
    I did a few +4, +5 and +6 and one +7 (Waycrest) and I feel incredible powerful. In most runs I outheal our healer. He mostly heals me for 30-40% of his total healing, not more - everything else goes into the dps.
    It's important to cycle your cd's. Always have something rdy for every group. And don't be afraid to use them, don't save them for the bosses. They are easy this week.
    For talents I go mostly with 1221323. In the first row you can go for blooddrinker but I like the extra RP via Heartbreaker. It makes it easier to set up Bonestorm.

But if the whole group doesn't help you, you can't optimise all you want - it won't be enough. This means: kicking the right spells, using stuns, don't stand in shit. And also your healer needs to know, when to support you. It's a team after all.

Quote Originally Posted by pay928 View Post
    What were the dungeons? I didn't notice many issues tanking at 2/3 at 344.
    2/3 were fine. the +5 atal i needed CC on anything bigger than a 4 pack.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sevona View Post
    DnD slow-talent is imo only mandatory for this week when you tackle +7 or higher, cause of Necrotic. Or just take a frostmage with you
    I did a few +4, +5 and +6 and one +7 (Waycrest) and I feel incredible powerful. In most runs I outheal our healer. He mostly heals me for 30-40% of his total healing, not more - everything else goes into the dps.
    It's important to cycle your cd's. Always have something rdy for every group. And don't be afraid to use them, don't save them for the bosses. They are easy this week.
    For talents I go mostly with 1221323. In the first row you can go for blooddrinker but I like the extra RP via Heartbreaker. It makes it easier to set up Bonestorm.

But if the whole group doesn't help you, you can't optimise all you want - it won't be enough. This means: kicking the right spells, using stuns, don't stand in shit. And also your healer needs to know, when to support you. It's a team after all.
    im actually using the exact same talent. idk if ppl werent kicking stuff or not but i was dipping low. Ran a +2 after and i felt like i didnt need a healer. couldve been a bad healer for the 5 or dps not kicking. didnt consider that.

Quote Originally Posted by Monteverdi View Post
    This is on them. DPS has to learn that threat has changed. Going ham on AoE packs the second they are pulled will cause threat problems.
    I've literally had DPS pull mobs. Not sure how people don't learn not to do this by level 120. I just left the group lol.

- - - Updated - - -

I actually like this personally. Allows for a more skilled Blood DK to be noticeably different from a bad one. Before it was just everyone spams DS and its all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    No I face everything away from the group and if anything isn't looking at me I just taunt it. If the situation calls I'll toggle Threat Plates on which allows me to click on enemies via their plate, removing any tabbing or overlapping BS.
    If you want to go full master mode, use a mouseover macro for taunt(I recommend the same for grip and GG too), mouseover of the name plate of the mob then push taunt and go back to spamming aoe.

I'm a BDK main (ilvl 346) and I think we're doing just fine.

I've tanked Mythic+ up to +7 (Shrine, Tol'Dagor) and done normal Uldir up until G'huun and heroic up until Fetid. I have had to change talents for certain fights (Mythrax I used Runetap and Purgatory to offset the spike damage from Essence Shear), and follow immediately up with Death Strike, but our other tank (warrior) was taking a lot of damage too. Deathgrip/Gorefiend's has been generally super useful throughout mythics/raiding.

Bonestorm is wonderful in Mythics. Once you reach higher keystones, you typically need to LoS or CC certain mobs. Idk if any of the tanks can just facetank at that M+. It's fine, though - I still have no issues clearing keys and the healer can conserve mana as I DS/Blooddrinker.

Stack a lot of haste. I don't really think our mastery is worth it. I only get like 6-10k absorb from DS?