Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, fishing skill still matters, but only in very specific cases, usually relating to old content.

Warlords of Draenor fishing is a great example of where fishing skill still plays a significant role.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    I always have the underlight angler in my inventory for those rare times when being able to shift into fishy form is convenient.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    First aid isn't a profession anymore.
    I mean while it was still a thing what did they "chip away" from it until "removing it wouldn't change anything"?
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    I mean while it was still a thing what did they "chip away" from it until "removing it wouldn't change anything"?
    The bandages become useless after the first patch of the expansion with inflating health pools in later expansions.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    The bandages become useless after the first patch of the expansion with inflating health pools in later expansions.
    That doesn't really sound like chipping away to me, though. To me, chipping away is taking away one thing from someone a bit here a bit there until it can remove it entirely and nobody noticed. Take blacksmithing, for instance. This patch you don't get any new weapons. Next xpac no weapons at all, next tier no armor upgrades from the first tier. Next expansion after that they could remove it.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

I love how there's a group of people who keep complaining that lots of things feel obligatory to do in the game, because they don't like doing those things.

And then when these things stop being 'obligatory', then they start complaining that these things are pointless.

Just effin do it if you like it, or don't if you dislike it. What's so complicated about this concept?

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    I love how there's a group of people who keep complaining that lots of things feel obligatory to do in the game, because they don't like doing those things.

And then when these things stop being 'obligatory', then they start complaining that these things are pointless.

Just effin do it if you like it, or don't if you dislike it. What's so complicated about this concept?
    I wouldn't be so sure that these are the same people.
    Yes there are hypocrites but not that many..

I've made 1.5 million gold from fishing alone during this expansion.

So yeah, I'd say it matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    In BFA so far I"m seeing no real difference in fishing the pools even - much less a difference in rating.

When the expansion started (so fishing was what..700..whatever it was at the end of Legion) I fished pools and open water "geared and buffed" out for fishing bonuses - and all I noticed was pools didn't seem to be a "bonus" anymore because when I fished open water I got the exact same fish that was in the pool - and then a few others randomly. I got trash but it was maybe..10% of the casts.

Stopped setting up my fishing gear and just started fishing with the auto-pole the game gives everyone. I've noticed little difference at all. Less trash (but again its not much trash to begin with) overall - but no bonuses otherwise. No extra fish procs, no special boxes *misses Dranar fishing*, no anything. A pool gives Fish A and once the pool is gone the open water continues to *mostly* give Fish A and occasionally Fish B or C. Less often a piece of trash.

I'm not maxxed fishing yet (very casual fishing while questing) but I'm over 100 points in BFA fishing skill and I'm seeing no significant difference from 50 or from 20 skill.

And the only reason I bother to equip my legendary fishing rod is for the hell of it. Seems to be the only reason to try pools too now - "cuz they are there." But no real bonus to anything otherwise.

If someone proves something else with numbers - great. I'd really like to think some of this makes a difference still rather then they just gutted what little bonuses the fishing+ gave you or the pool use to give.
    Fishing pools are a guaranteed catch, with the odd proc of a chest or special catch

Well, when I played last time, I had high fishing skill, because it's good for cooking. As a fisher you can easily find ingridients. Isn't it obvious?

Hey! It depends on your luck))))

It's measurable. I took a fresh toon to darkmoon fair and started fishing at 0. Took until about 60 or 70 before i saw my first darkmoon fish, after that you slowly start seeing more and more fish and crate catches.

But there isn't much point in putting on all the gear and applying a lure anymore, those little bits don't seem to be making much difference. They just need to add a fishing pole slot that turns off any effects other than the skill increase, so we don't have to weapon swap it.
    Last edited by blankfaced; 2020-11-07 at 07:27 AM.
    I'm a thread killer.

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    The responses in here vary from whether a high or low fishing skill makes a difference to whether secondary professions matter at all. The answer to both is the same, which is "yes", just not significantly.

On the first part, skill does make a difference in that you'll be less likely to get grey pulls instead of fish. Likewise pools over open water in some cases give the more rare fish types rather than the more common ones, even though the volume on # of fish is about the same now.

And on the question of whether secondary skills matter, again not very much but there are some situations where they do. Fishing has been integrated enough into Cooking that it definitely gives you more recipe options to fish, and/or to level Cooking with. And food buffs matter. Also, Blizzard tends to throw things in the game randomly here and there to make sure secondary professions are at least a little relevant. The Mechagon fishing dailies for Rustbolt Resistance rep come to mind.

What I don't expect is any sort of return sadly to the BC days where fishing *really* mattered when raiding SSC, since you had to fish up the lunker boss. And yes if you raided hardcore back then in SSC as many players as possible on your raid team were expected to have maxxed fishing, just for that one boss in the expansion.

I think that in any business skills matter.

IMO, there should be a 1 percent chance for double fish at each rank above 100. Fishing nodes should be a one time cast and gather all fish from it in one shot.

I think yes fishing skill matter

I think as for the skill itself, it decreases the chances of not catching fish, but it's not too noticeable. It's similar to herbalism where it doesn't really matter what the level is since you can still pick herbs.

However, in terms of using the skill to make money, yeah it is certainly useful. Fish are always being bought (mainly the one in Bastion atm) and selling them on raid nights is a pretty good way to make a buck, especially if the player has a duel monitor. Use a lure, fish away and watch something.

fish can always be sold, so to some extent this is useful, but it is not worth geting to the maximum
    p/s. people with advanced fishing skills will have a better chance of surviving in a zombie apocalypse or on a desert island
    Last edited by BorisVivienne; 2021-02-10 at 04:50 PM.

Yes, higher skill increases chance of catching fish, along with putting on a fishing rod in your weapon slot which is a very common rookie mistake. Seriously put on a fishing rod.